MMS DX 01 - The Dark Knight - 1/6th scale The Joker collectible figure

JayC

Heh, I've been working a lot. As far as the sculpt goes, I think it's a tweaked BR Joker head, with some slight changes to the jaw and hair. A different paintjob can make the sculpt look much different. Case in point, my BR Joker after I repainted him.

Original -

jokuh4.jpg

Mine -

jokuh1.jpg

jokuh2.jpg

jokuh3.jpg

And of course, the MMS DX one.

MMSDXJoker13.jpg

It looks like they may have altered the nose slightly, and the jaw seems to be a teensy bit more square, but the biggest changes are the hair and the eyes. The eyes have been widened a little to give him a more manic expression, and obviously since the eyes are now movable, that alters any expression dramatically. Also, it looks like they toned his scars down a bit. They're not as puffy, especially under his bottom lip.

As for my thoughts? I pre-ordered one the second I saw it, though I still slightly prefer the BR Joker head. I think it has the best-looking sculpt once you can bring it out with a decent paintjob.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just for reference, here's a second repaint I whipped up to compare to the new head on the MMS DX fig. I kind of went for a caked make up look on it, and I also cleaned up the red lipstick...brought it up closer to his bottom lip and darkened the eye makeup, making its borders more defined rather than fading out into the white. Cleaning up the lips, though, is what brought it closer to the new head than anything in my eyes.

repaint2-1.jpg

Excellant observation z0mbie!! My thought exactly on the sculpt and paint job. And I'm glad your getting one. Altho I would have bought one either way, it still kinda makes me feel a bit better about getting it knowing it has you seal of aproval...........Pooda too.

Also I wanna give you props on the custom paint jobs. You got MAD SKILLS @peace@

Hi,i'm a newbie here so i've got a couple of questions and my reason for posting:

1.how do i get an avatar?

2.this figure is most likely going to be my first hot toys,but before i go ahead and order it online does anyone know if DC Direct is going to import them to the U.S thanks.

Well the MMSDX Clown head is supose to be from the scene where Joker makes his "offer" to the Mob & shows his coat is lined with explosives if any one should try to stop his exit. This scene takes place very early in the movie there for his face paint is much more fresh & neater (that is for Joker's standards). His face paint gets progressivly worse as the movie wares on.

But I gotta disagree with you MMM. I think Joker's paint is very near dead on. But I will reserve final judement until I get my hands on it. After all I ended up oweing z0mbie an apolygy for doubting his observations about the 1st Joker's head sculpt.

Yeah, I agree. The head sculpt on this Joker is from early on in the movie. To me this is a big selling point because it is more definitivly Joker (Joker "in tact-without battle damage" so to speak.)

If you wanted to recreate the scene in the Gotham City Police cruiser you would be better of using one of the Bank Robber Joker heads. Probably the one with the slicked back hair, because his hair is plastered back by the wind in the scene in question.

Regarding the likeness to Heath, both the BR Joker and this Joker are great... but this one has those translucent, poseable eyes. [boy I hope they are as cool as I hope... they might end up being really annoying to work with.]

z0mbie: Really nice work on the repaint!

Good call on cleaning up the lips... that was the first thing I noticed about your first paint job: way too Angelina Jolie! :P

...but I personaly think the Deluxe sculpt is just a little better (those eyes look so real!!! And all the nuances are so subtle; like the lips/scars). Of course I haven't seen either in person.

I cant wait to share pics of poses.

Hi,i'm a newbie here so i've got a couple of questions and my reason for posting:

1.how do i get an avatar?

2.this figure is most likely going to be my first hot toys,but before i go ahead and order it online does anyone know if DC Direct is going to import them to the U.S thanks.

What up fresh meat!! & welcome to the toy party were the drama never ends lol. Ok its been a while sence I did my own, but I think the avatar selections can be found in the "my controls" tab. From there just click on the correct tabs. If my thick headed ass can do it any one can.

Ok next the DC direct thing. Umm it is true that DCD distributes HT stuff but your still gonna have to order it thru your LCS or pre order it from an on line store like Big Bad Toy Store, there links are all over this site.

I realy do suggest pre ordering this if your gonna get one because they fly fast after there release date & this fig IMO is gonna go extra fast.

Once again WELCOME!!!!

thanks supreme queen .i do have a couple more questions though.Also, i do order specialty figs through my LCS but do you think i should wait till its announced in DCD's solicitations (most likely next month if they do import it) or should i go the BBTS route (little skeptical w/ sudden price change.)On that note is BBTS reliable ?thanks also,not totally sure if it will be imported did DCD import the hot toys Harvey Dent? anyhoo thanks

now we just need a nurse joker fig 2 heads one while he's wearing the wig one after accesories:1 nurse outfit W/dent campaign sticker 1 detonator, silenced gun (uzi ?),and a mask lol would you buy it? also would anyone like to see an HT Gordon W/SWAT costume(and of course trench tie etc. )post thoughts

thanks supreme queen .i do have a couple more questions though.Also, i do order specialty figs through my LCS but do you think i should wait till its announced in DCD's solicitations (most likely next month if they do import it) or should i go the BBTS route (little skeptical w/ sudden price change.)On that note is BBTS reliable ?thanks also,not totally sure if it will be imported did DCD import the hot toys Harvey Dent? anyhoo thanks

Well to be honest exactly HOW DCD get the toy imported is kinda moot. simply because you can't buy directly from DCD. you must go thru either LCS or on line store. & no, they is no logical reason to wait to order it. This Fig has already jumped $25 sence it was 1st listed on BBTS so why wait & run the risk of another price increase.

Not trying to rush you or nothing, but I've seen it happen to people where they wait & wait until all the on line comic store all start to say "PRE-ORDER SOLD OUT"! & then you'll realy be screwed if your left with ebay as an only option.

pretty sweet thanks maglor,but i think a totally different head sculpt (Hi open smile would be cool at the same time if it was a nurse joker they would probably also have a different paint app on the body since the arms and legs are showing also W/ the new PERS tech it would be pretty sweet speaking of anybody wish HT would have waited for PERS tech before making Harvey Dent /Two-Face

I don't have an answer for you batfan08 but I preordered mine already. I have never done buisness with them so I am interested to see what replies you get to your question. I have a hunch they are reliable otherwise this website wouldn't be encouraging preorder there.

Consider this ebay link.

The description says "THIS IS preorder auction and pls. remember studiosunny always serve you the fast and latest release of Action Figure from Hong Kong."

The price for preorder here including shipping is already up to $207.90.

The price at BBTS is about $186 including shipping. Kind of helps put things into perspective. And I am much more comfortable with BBTS than an ebay preorder. The auction ends tomorrow. I can't wait to see how much it goes for.

Sunny is a great place to buy from, if you want to go the ebay route. I've never had a problem with them. You'll get it earlier, but you'll pay a premium for it. I couldn't wait for my BR Joker, so I ended up paying like $250 for him from them all told.

Of course, in December they sent me a second one for absolutely no reason and at no cost to me, so hey....can't argue with that.

Anyway, if you don't mind waiting a little longer, BBTS is the way to go.

Also, Mag...I fixed the Jolie lips on my first Joker repaint. Here ya go. :P

jokuh4-1.jpg

Sorry, I guess I forgot to answer that question. But YES BBTS is most deff reliable!! & if you an MOC collector like me (or heck even if you just don't want your fig arriving crushed & torn) then I highly suggest opting for the $2 collector up grade. I have 4 Hot Toy Dark Knight Figs all from BBTS. & (knock wood) to date they have not failed me in quick shipping & the merch ALWAYS arrives in excellant condition!

Much better!!! Excellent repaint z0mbie! @cool@

So you got "2 for 1" BR Jokers!? You lucky SOB!!! :o

OK I have to revisit a question I had earlier about buying a second generic Joker body to dress up with the second head/set of clothes/hands that come with this MMS DX Joker.

I thought of this question as I was waking up yesterday:

What kind of feet do Hot Toys have (I have never owned one)?

In the case of Sideshow figures some have feet inside a boot/shoe (LOTR figures). Others have the shoe itself attached right to the ankle. I am having trouble telling which is true of Joker from this pic:

MMSDXJoker1.jpg

I just don't want to get a generic Joker body and then discover that I am short 2 feet!!!

This leads to my second question: I have found 2 different Hot Toys bodies on ebay that claim to be for the Joker. But the have radically different ankles/wrists. Which of these 2 looks right to you (whoever is reading this)?

robberparts15.jpgIMG_5391.jpg

And if the joker doesn't have feet with shoes that slip over them, how do socks work? Are they just sleeves that slip over the ankles?

I know I said that I would wait to buy a generic Joker body until I had seen the MMS DX Joker with my own eyes but I am just so jazzed and impatient!!!

Thoughts?

Much better!!! Excellent repaint z0mbie! @cool@

So you got "2 for 1" BR Jokers!? You lucky SOB!!! :o

OK I have to revisit a question I had earlier about buying a second generic Joker body to dress up with the second head/set of clothes/hands that come with this MMS DX Joker.

I thought of this question as I was waking up yesterday:

What kind of feet do Hot Toys have (I have never owned one)?

In the case of Sideshow figures some have feet inside a boot/shoe (LOTR figures). Others have the shoe itself attached right to the ankle. I am having trouble telling which is true of Joker from this pic:

MMSDXJoker1.jpg

I just don't want to get a generic Joker body and then discover that I am short 2 feet!!!

This leads to my second question: I have found 2 different Hot Toys bodies on ebay that claim to be for the Joker. But the have radically different ankles/wrists. Which of these 2 looks right to you (whoever is reading this)?

robberparts15.jpgIMG_5391.jpg

And if the joker doesn't have feet with shoes that slip over them, how do socks work? Are they just sleeves that slip over the ankles?

I know I said that I would wait to buy a generic Joker body until I had seen the MMS DX Joker with my own eyes but I am just so jazzed and impatient!!!

Thoughts?

yes HT bodies do come with feet, but I dont know if the auction that your considering has feet or not. and the pics you have are the same type of body, the only differance is ankel pegs are missing right along with the feet. also if you notice the body is missing wrist pegs too. My advise keep hunting till you find a complete body.

thanks for answering my question about BBTS.Also, I started a post in the DC forums section entitled "What TDK characters or characterizations would you like to see made as Hot Toys figures* that sort of spins off of this one also,as far as BBTS goes how does payment work?do you pay ahead ,later,what ?also do they take it out of your bank account or another route ?thanks.

Heh, I've been working a lot. As far as the sculpt goes, I think it's a tweaked BR Joker head, with some slight changes to the jaw and hair. A different paintjob can make the sculpt look much different. Case in point, my BR Joker after I repainted him.

Original -

jokuh4.jpg

Mine -

jokuh1.jpg

jokuh2.jpg

jokuh3.jpg

And of course, the MMS DX one.

MMSDXJoker13.jpg

It looks like they may have altered the nose slightly, and the jaw seems to be a teensy bit more square, but the biggest changes are the hair and the eyes. The eyes have been widened a little to give him a more manic expression, and obviously since the eyes are now movable, that alters any expression dramatically. Also, it looks like they toned his scars down a bit. They're not as puffy, especially under his bottom lip.

As for my thoughts? I pre-ordered one the second I saw it, though I still slightly prefer the BR Joker head. I think it has the best-looking sculpt once you can bring it out with a decent paintjob.

I think that they altered the features so that he wouldnt look weird when you move the eyes.

thanks for answering my question about BBTS.Also, I started a post in the DC forums section entitled "What TDK characters or characterizations would you like to see made as Hot Toys figures* that sort of spins off of this one also,as far as BBTS goes how does payment work?do you pay ahead ,later,what ?also do they take it out of your bank account or another route ?thanks.

its realy easy to open an account with BBTS. 1st go to the site, then click on "my account". after that click on sign up or open account or what ever its called.

After you give your basic mailing info there will be an option for you to give your credit or debit card info. After your account is open & they have your card info, click on the "home" tab & go shopping!! if you pre ordering something like MMDX Joker then after you done selecting items go to check out. after that's all complete you should be good to go.

The only thing I would caution on is makeing sure there is enough funds in your account a week or two before its due to arrive. Because once BBTS has gotten there shipment in they will INSTANTLY BILL YOUR CARD! So be warned. example: right now I only have about $18 in my account (don't laugh). But over the next few week I'm gonna make sure I slowly (or quickly if possible) acrew about $165.00 so there will be enough in my account come this May because I think that when Two Face is due out.

So if my account doesn't have enough in it I will get hit with an over draft fee from my bank (the voice of experiance)lol. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to email the Pres. of BBTS & ask if they will start selling gift card accounts. that way I can sock away a lil each pay period and NEVER have to deal with a over draft fee again!! well I hope that answers your payment questions.

thanks for telling me about BBTS ,but I was just at my LCS and the guy who works there said they will more than likely have it so I'll just preorder there when it's announced.While I was at it I preordered Justice the Absolute Edition.It's a great book by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger that is worth checking out.

its realy easy to open an account with BBTS. 1st go to the site, then click on "my account". after that click on sign up or open account or what ever its called.

After you give your basic mailing info there will be an option for you to give your credit or debit card info. After your account is open & they have your card info, click on the "home" tab & go shopping!! if you pre ordering something like MMDX Joker then after you done selecting items go to check out. after that's all complete you should be good to go.

The only thing I would caution on is makeing sure there is enough funds in your account a week or two before its due to arrive. Because once BBTS has gotten there shipment in they will INSTANTLY BILL YOUR CARD! So be warned. example: right now I only have about $18 in my account (don't laugh). But over the next few week I'm gonna make sure I slowly (or quickly if possible) acrew about $165.00 so there will be enough in my account come this May because I think that when Two Face is due out.

So if my account doesn't have enough in it I will get hit with an over draft fee from my bank (the voice of experiance)lol. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to email the Pres. of BBTS & ask if they will start selling gift card accounts. that way I can sock away a lil each pay period and NEVER have to deal with a over draft fee again!! well I hope that answers your payment questions.

There's also an option when you preorder something to choose a payment method later when payment's due. It's at the top of the checkout/payment selection page. I always use that option in case I need to move some funds around when I get the processing notice. They give you 10 days to pay.

thanks for telling me about BBTS ,but I was just at my LCS and the guy who works there said they will more than likely have it so I'll just preorder there when it's announced.While I was at it I preordered Justice the Absolute Edition.It's a great book by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger that is worth checking out.

**leans over & gives batfan a big ol Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fud kiss** ALEX ROSS' JUSTICE IS COMEING OUT IN ABSOLUTE EDT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HO......LEE.......(BLEEP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you just made a friend for life. So don't be stingy with the details.....spill! when this baby due out??? I normaly get my absolutes from Borders, so if you yell me the due date I can order from them.