Rise of Cobra Cobra Commander figure

die fighting x

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, we're not "entitled" to anything. Except whatever toy you get when you give your money to your local retailer. Hasbro and Paramount don't owe us a single thing, and we don't owe them anything either. You're right though, in that you -don't- have to like it.

The filmmakers explained why they didn't go with the hood (they felt it evoked images of the Ku Klux Klan). We might not agree with their reasoning, but they did -have- reasons for it.

actually, they do. Every film maker that makes a movie based on any comic, tv-show, toy, book, etc.. OWES something to the people who supported the source material and made the film possible.

The ONLY reason the GiJoe film is even possible is because the fans supported GiJoe, made it a household name, and remain loyal enough to have an audience for the movie before it is even made.

Do you think they would be making this movie if people like us didn't buy the toys, watch the cartoons, and read the comics for 25 years now?

of course not.

Therefore, it is a slap in the face for them to make something that is going to be so different. "thanks for making this movie possible, fans. But, we are going to make this movie completely unrecognizable to everything you have been supporting for 25 years... but again, thanks for giving us your time and money for all these years, Hasbro would have never been this big without you, and there would be no GiJoe movie."

so yeah, they owe us.

otherwise, it would be "Hey, remember that failed toyline we did 25 years ago? well, I know that there are no fans of it, but how about we go ahead and make a movie based on it?"

uh.. no.

as for the KKK/Cobra Commander hood thing... I really don't think so. CC's hood never had a point to it, and was never white.

actually, they do. Every film maker that makes a movie based on any comic, tv-show, toy, book, etc.. OWES something to the people who supported the source material and made the film possible.

Oh, bull-poop-.

GET OVER YOURSELF!

If that were true then I'd "owe it" to everyone that watched a cartoon I helped make. Complete and utter bull-poop-.

The people that watch the cartoons are not the ones that pay me, its the studios. I don't take my directions from the audience, I take from the folks that sign my cheque.

The person that pays filmmakers and makes them "who they are" are the studios that hire them,and the investors that put money into the projects---- AND YOU AIN'T IT!

You are just a consumer.........just a "mouth". You are just another mark.

Clam........wake the #$## up.......YOU HAVE NOT SUPPORTED THIS MOVIE YET BECAUSE YOU'VE NOT BOUGHT A SINGLE PRODUCT FROM IT. How can anyone owe you for something you have not even consumed yet????

The studios make these films because they think they can make money at them, and if someone buys into it, great. If not, they make something else that people will buy into, and guess what...there's always something people will buy into.

Hey, if we OWE you because we make this stuff you like, then why don't you OWE US when we make stuff you reject? Why is this "relationship" always on your side of it?

No wonder fans like your self get the brush-off by folks in the biz.

Thinking this "relationship" between fandom and creators is a dialogue is a complete myth......let me tell you.

The idea of creators "owing" their fans is a farcical delusion........a complete joke. A creators work is a MONOLOGUE, a statement, even if it comes from a committee.

They offer what they make, and if you like it......you accept it......and if not, you walk away.

Saying someone "owes" you to create something your way......is a load of bunk. If you want something created your way, create it yourself.

Let's do some simple math:

Yojoe.com, the largest G.I. Joe-specific Collector/Fan site on the web that I know of, has a bit under 11,000 members registered. We'll be very generous and triple that number to represent the people that are "Hardcore" Joe fans that simply don't take part in the online community, or are only registered on one of the other joe collector sites but not Yojoe.

So. 33,000 people have "supported the Joe line for the last 25 years." We'll say the average movie ticket price is $11.00 (From my understanding, a high estimate that doesn't even factor in matinee showings).

33,000 x 11 = $363,000 in box office sales.

The movie costs $170 million not even including marketing. That community of 33,000 would only have to see it 468 times apiece to make it break even!

Even if you do ten times the number of registrants at yojoe.com as the "silent fans" that community of 110,000 would still have to see the movie 140 times apiece to have the movie break even (much less be a big success). If you do ten times the number of registered members at ENI/Toynewsi as a whole. then we're doing a little better. Only a little over 70 times apiece

So yeah..it's really not in Hollywood's financial interest to cater strictly to the hardcore fan. At all.

Even if you do ten times the number of registrants at yojoe.com as the "silent fans" that community of 110,000 would still have to see the movie 140 times apiece to have the movie break even (much less be a big success). If you do ten times the number of registered members at ENI/Toynewsi as a whole. then we're doing a little better. Only a little over 70 times apiece

So yeah..it's really not in Hollywood's financial interest to cater strictly to the hardcore fan. At all.

What is driving the idea that what the fans would want is not good enough though? It's not like there isn't already a plethora of of action films with a basic plot of hero (or team of hero's) against an opposing foe, and more than enough Sci-Fi themed plots to go with, that they didn't really need to plagarize the characters of ARAH, to make another one. We've seen the rotten attempts made by Hollywood at taking a popular VIDEO game and trying to capitalize on it by turning it into a feature length film, and rartely (if ever) does it do the video game any justice, and ends up just being a movie with it's title and a whacky plot added to the action of the game.

I'd hate to see the G.I.Joe franchise and name suffer the same fate, as it has an even LONGER history behind it than any of these video games that were made into stupid movies. Hollywood can't even make a decent James bond movie anymore because of the way they keep trying to over think what the movie fans want. They've been out of touch with the population for over a decade now and it doesn't look to be improving any?

Is there really anyone that doesn't know about G.I.Joe ARAH that's going to go see this movie off it's preview only, and think "hey..I'm glad they made CC, that bad guy I never knew from never watching the cartoon, never reading the comic books or never collecting the toys..look different from all that previous stuff I never cared about"???

If Hollywood doesn't think the original material is good enough, why did they pursue it in the first place...because everybody knows G.I.Joe maybe?

Has anyone else noticed that there's like 2-3 action figures of most of the Joes? Only one of which looks vaguely like the character we know and love?

Does anyone else think maybe this is only one of the Commander's figures? That maybe this is one of the "off" ones, and there's likely to be another figure that looks at least a little closer?

Anyone else realize that this movie is called "Rise of Cobra", and it would make sense for the Commander to go through several different looks as his organization evolves?

Anyone else think maybe there's a lot of overreacting due to not knowing important things like if there will be other figures, if those might resemble the "classic" Cobra Commander a little better, and what role this costume might play in the movie?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone else think maybe there's a lot of overreacting due to not knowing important things like if there will be other figures, if those might resemble the "classic" Cobra Commander a little better, and what role this costume might play in the movie?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

I've been thinking this for months now.

The character of this toy likely will under go steps in its reveal. What better way to do that than by .......ahem..........pulling a bag ( okay....okay......a hood) offa the guy's head?

And the mask as shown would work well with forming a hood over top it.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Have you been around this ghost town much lately? ^_^

If anybody is reacting at ALL...I'd hope to shout it's a GOOD thing? Gotta take what we can get around here to keep the fires burning..good or BAD! ;)

everytime I hear somebody say "most people don't know anything about Gijoe, so they had to update them for the movie"... I immediately think that person is dumb.

Okay, lets just assume that this is correct, most of the people who go to watch this movie won't know that much about GiJoe. However, how the hell does this assumption excuse coming up with the crap that the film-makers have done.

Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that these new designs and concepts are better than the old ones?

Just because a movie goer won't know who CC is, is there any reason they can't accept the old one?

NO!

there is a certain population of people who know everything about GiJoe, and expect to see a GiJoe movie.

there is second population of people who remember Gijoe, and know what kinds of things to expect.

there is a third population of people who know absolutely nothing about GiJoe, and have no idea what they will see.

so why the hell do you throw away the first 2 populations in order to create something brand new for the third? Does anybody think that the third population, knowing nothing about Gijoe, would prefer the crap we are getting over a real GiJoe movie?

GiJoe has plenty of wacky, futuristic, techy, ideas to put out a movie today and still seem cutting edge.. we don't need robojoe suits, we don't need CC with a plastic mask with tubes all over him... we don't need robots that look like alien insects (oops, that's the other Hasbro movie that got all f-ed up)...

there is no justifiable reason to throw the source material to the wind. it would work today just fine,... actually, even better.

I have to agree, to an extent, here.

The main question for me, in this instance is:

WHY was it necessary to make such significant changes? if you compare it to the other comic movies, those characters weren't so dramatically altered.

Look at this way, if I showed you a pic of the movie version of the majority of comic characters, WITHOUT telling you who it is, you would KNOW pretty quick who it was. And, yes, there are some that would have you guessing. Even a lot of the minor "cameo" characters, such as the Cuckoos in X-Men 3 were pretty easily identified.

So why was it necessary to make such a drastic change here? If ANY of us saw this figure without knowing it was Cobra Commander (just a G.I. Joe character). would ANY of us really believe that was Cobra Commander?

The only characters that might even be considered an exception is the Transformers. And THAT only applies if you believe the movie characters to be "G1".

Has anyone else noticed that there's like 2-3 action figures of most of the Joes? Only one of which looks vaguely like the character we know and love?

Does anyone else think maybe this is only one of the Commander's figures? That maybe this is one of the "off" ones, and there's likely to be another figure that looks at least a little closer?

Anyone else realize that this movie is called "Rise of Cobra", and it would make sense for the Commander to go through several different looks as his organization evolves?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Actually, no, I havne't noticed that. HAVE there been more than one version of any of the movie characters?

As for the character, I'm guessing Cobra Commander has some kind of physical problem and the solution, temporarily is this figure and the end of hte movie will see him in a more classic version.

WHY was it necessary to make such significant changes? if you compare it to the other comic movies, those characters weren't so dramatically altered.

Look at this way, if I showed you a pic of the movie version of the majority of comic characters, WITHOUT telling you who it is, you would KNOW pretty quick who it was. And, yes, there are some that would have you guessing. Even a lot of the minor "cameo" characters, such as the Cuckoos in X-Men 3 were pretty easily identified.

So why was it necessary to make such a drastic change here? If ANY of us saw this figure without knowing it was Cobra Commander (just a G.I. Joe character). would ANY of us really believe that was Cobra Commander?

This isn't hard to figure out.

At the very least a different look means that a different toy can be offered, where there's plenty of other COBRA Commander figures that look much the same.

If the character in the film only wore the hood, he'd look like about a half dozen or so versions of virtually the same character that's already been sold for the past year. Why market the same thing in what is supposedly a all-new standalone product line?

This reason alone would justify the movie look being radically different.

This isn't hard to figure out.

At the very least a different look means that a different toy can be offered, where there's plenty of other COBRA Commander figures that look much the same.

If the character in the film only wore the hood, he'd look like about a half dozen or so versions of virtually the same character that's already been sold for the past year. Why market the same thing in what is supposedly a all-new standalone product line?

This reason alone would justify the movie look being radically different.

That's a good reason, thanks.

If the helm wasnt see-through, then it wouldnt look too bad...

This is the 'RISE' so i wouldnt expect him to walk out in his 'cobraaaa commander' gear.

I admit, the hood would of been a better choice...but the crew were against the design.

From the toys perspective...I'm not all that negative on it, as stated before, I can just make him someone other than CC and he's cool enough looking to be another character in the Cobra ranks. I'm just not looking forward to this being the only version (or appearance) of CC we'll see throughout the movie, but if it's indeed just ONE of many altering stages for him, that's fine I guess, but something tells me it will be too far into it to enjoy the majority of the flick and if it stinks to high heavens...we just might not get that 2nd installment in the PLANNED franchise of it? What if they kill him off like they do all the villains in the Spider Man movies? @hmmm@

Let's do some simple math:

Yojoe.com, the largest G.I. Joe-specific Collector/Fan site on the web that I know of, has a bit under 11,000 members registered. We'll be very generous and triple that number to represent the people that are "Hardcore" Joe fans that simply don't take part in the online community, or are only registered on one of the other joe collector sites but not Yojoe.

So. 33,000 people have "supported the Joe line for the last 25 years." We'll say the average movie ticket price is $11.00 (From my understanding, a high estimate that doesn't even factor in matinee showings).

33,000 x 11 = $363,000 in box office sales.

The movie costs $170 million not even including marketing. That community of 33,000 would only have to see it 468 times apiece to make it break even!

so you really think that 1 out of 3 GiJoe fans is registered at YoJoe.com? I aint even registered there. I have had internet access for over 10 years. So I would say that logic is complete bunk.

and you are still missing the point.. why would a movie that stayed close to the source material cater "strictly" to fans?

I honestly believe that the GiJoe stuff we have had for a very long time would hold up better on the big screen than what they are doing with this movie.. No catering to fans, just making the best product possible.

Oh, bullpoo.

GET OVER YOURSELF!

If that were true then I'd "owe it" to everyone that watched a cartoon I helped make. Complete and utter bullpoo.

The people that watch the cartoons are not the ones that pay me, its the studios. I don't take my directions from the audience, I take from the folks that sign my cheque.

The person that pays filmmakers and makes them "who they are" are the studios that hire them,and the investors that put money into the projects---- AND YOU AIN'T IT!

You are just a consumer.........just a "mouth". You are just another mark.

Clam........wake the #$## up.......YOU HAVE NOT SUPPORTED THIS MOVIE YET BECAUSE YOU'VE NOT BOUGHT A SINGLE PRODUCT FROM IT. How can anyone owe you for something you have not even consumed yet????

The studios make these films because they think they can make money at them, and if someone buys into it, great. If not, they make something else that people will buy into, and guess what...there's always something people will buy into.

Hey, if we OWE you because we make this stuff you like, then why don't you OWE US when we make stuff you reject? Why is this "relationship" always on your side of it?

No wonder fans like your self get the brush-off by folks in the biz.

wrong. completely.

you act as if you do what you do for yourself, without expecting compensation in return.

guess what, you DO owe your work to the consumer. No consumer= no work. Be thankful that people want to take in anything that you work on, thus giving you work, and an income.

If you are doing something for art's sake, have at it. do whatever you want. If you are doing something and getting paid for it, you better damn well try to please the consumer of that product. I don't care who asks you to do what. Bottom line is you owe your work to the consumer of it. It might change hands many times before it gets out there, but the final consumer is who you have to try to please. (yes, I realize you have to please the person who is hiring you, but they are directing your work towards what they think will please the consumer.)

Every dime you have ever made in the business is owed to whoever thought it was worthwhile to .. consume.

that's how it works. it's simple. you create a product to be consumed. no consumers= no work.

do you need an economics lesson?

What is driving the idea that what the fans would want is not good enough though? It's not like there isn't already a plethora of of action films with a basic plot of hero (or team of hero's) against an opposing foe, and more than enough Sci-Fi themed plots to go with, that they didn't really need to plagarize the characters of ARAH, to make another one. We've seen the rotten attempts made by Hollywood at taking a popular VIDEO game and trying to capitalize on it by turning it into a feature length film, and rartely (if ever) does it do the video game any justice, and ends up just being a movie with it's title and a whacky plot added to the action of the game.

I'd hate to see the G.I.Joe franchise and name suffer the same fate, as it has an even LONGER history behind it than any of these video games that were made into stupid movies. Hollywood can't even make a decent James bond movie anymore because of the way they keep trying to over think what the movie fans want. They've been out of touch with the population for over a decade now and it doesn't look to be improving any?

Is there really anyone that doesn't know about G.I.Joe ARAH that's going to go see this movie off it's preview only, and think "hey..I'm glad they made CC, that bad guy I never knew from never watching the cartoon, never reading the comic books or never collecting the toys..look different from all that previous stuff I never cared about"???

If Hollywood doesn't think the original material is good enough, why did they pursue it in the first place...because everybody knows G.I.Joe maybe?

Excellent point.

Trilogy?????? Though im sure they have left it open to do another movie, nothing has been greenlighted beyond this first movie and probably won't till they see if this movie does well enough to warrent another one.

Also I think you guys get to bogged down with this whole is it true enough to the concept of the original souce material or not as to whether this movie will suck or not. The honest to god truth is, we as the die hard fans are likely to go see this movie regardless of it it sucks or not. They could probably do a movie with stick figures and most Joe fans would still go see it. It's a question of if the general movie-goer will go see it or not that determines whether a movie is a box office hit. Look at Transformers or Iron Man or the first X-Men. Those movies all did well not based on how close they mirrored the original source material, they did well because they were good movies. You didn't need to be familiar with the source material to enjoy them. My concern with GIJoe isn't how closely it will be to the original souce material, it's whether it will be a good movie in general. Will the story be overall good, will the acting be good, will the effects be good and make sense? That Cobra Commander figure looks like total sh@#t to me, but the real question is on the screen will he be potrayed as a menacing villian that I think we all agree Cobra Commander should be or a joke. I won't be walking out of the theatre going that just wasn't how I remember GIJoe so I didnt like the movie, I will be walking out either thinking that was a really good story with cool action and acting or that was just a bad movie with bad acting, way over the top unrealistic action scenes and a lame boring story.

The fact that the X-Men all wore black leather as opposed to their traditional costumes didn't keep me from enjoying X-Men just as the Transformers all looking the same as opposed to their original unique looks didn't keep me from enjoying that movie, cause both had good stories, special effects and fairly decent acting that kept me engaged in the movie and would have done so whether I was a X-Men/Transformer fan before walking in or not. These movies get a lift up on the publicity because of the name recognition, but in the end its the quality of the movie itself that matters not the brand name it uses. My fear with GIJoe right now isn't how close to the source material it will be, it's whether they rushed and put out crap or took the time and made a really good movie, but none of us will know the answer to that till we see it.

Is it the end of the world that he looks like this?.....No. Will I still see the movie?.....Yes.

Is it my right as an American to have an opinion on something even if it differs from yours. Yes........

Its crap..........I don't like it. Its simple. My expectations are WAY LOW......for this movie. So maybe I will be presently surprised if ONE thing is cool in it.

Does it seem like they used the 1997 handbook on how to make comic/sci-fi/toy properties into a movie........yeah, but I'll still see it.

I'll still buy RAH Joes off ebay and at shows......I'll get the rest of the 25th/Modern era stuff(Which initially was only supposed to be a couple waves, Thanks Hasbro)......and buy some GI Joe t-shirts here and there. I'll still be a GI Joe fan........its not the end of the world.

I'm kinda tired of bitching about it to be honest..........maybe I'm just past the point of disappointment........who knows........

Yo Joe!!!! @usa@

What is driving the idea that what the fans would want is not good enough though?

As has been pointed out many times: It's most likely the fact that RAH Joe hasn't been one of the most successful toy lines of the past 10-15 years. It's lagged far behind other brands, and hasn't retained nearly as large a devoted audience as other properties.

Hollywood can't even make a decent James bond movie anymore because of the way they keep trying to over think what the movie fans want. They've been out of touch with the population for over a decade now and it doesn't look to be improving any?

I found the last two James Bond films to be among the best of the series (particularly Casino Royale). They've also assuredly been among the most financially successful of the series. So clearly Hollywood in that particular case is doing a decent job of "finding what the fans want." But that's another studio altogether, so it's really neither here nor there.

I'm sorry, but this statement is complete nonsense. Most people that aren't "Joe fans" that go see the movie are going to come out saying "That movie was cool" or "That movie sucked." They're not going to give a crap either way about the nitty gritty of each individual character. You seem to be locked into this idea that people won't see the movie if they don't know G.I. Joe intimately. That's a false assumption.

People know the -name- "G.I. Joe." Some of the older audience might have scattered memories of the toys they played with as kids, or random factoids and images from the cartoon/comics/whatnot. They're NOT going to have a detailed knowledge of every character's race, background, nationality, or even "specialty." Of the characters in the movie, Snake-Eyes (Black-Garbed Ninja), Storm Shadow (White Garbed Ninja), Scarlett (Redhead with a Crossbow), Baroness (Skintight black leather and glasses), and Destro (Metal-Headed Scottish Arms Dealer) are all reasonably "recognizable" as their original selves from what we've seen (Or should be by the end of the film). Arguably even more recognizable than most of the Transformers were.

The point is that Hollywood clearly doesn't feel the need to stay spot-on accurate to every single detail, and feels comfortable changing the mythos. Why? Probably because Hasbro and Paramount have scads of people that have been in the marketing business for years that have a pretty good idea of roughly how popular "classic" Joe is. In short: It's remembered somewhat fondly by many, but only a scant few are obsessively devoted to it to the point where these changes are going to seem ultra-alarming or completely "wrong." Heck, given that most pop-culture references made about G.I. Joe these days are jokes about how campy the old toon was, I'd wager a lot of people don't take G.I. Joe particularly seriously to begin with.

When it comes to CC, there may be plenty of folks that "remember" G.I. Joe that come out of the film going, "Well, at least they didn't make him some weirdo 1000 year old snakeman."

It's pointless to speculate on whether "what we had would work better" because that's not what we're getting. Clearly Hasbro and Paramount felt that Joe needed to be "updated" for the 21st century in the hopes of luring in a larger audience than they already have. Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they won't, but they felt it was a risk worth taking.

so you really think that 1 out of 3 GiJoe fans is registered at YoJoe.com? I aint even registered there. I have had internet access for over 10 years. So I would say that logic is complete bunk.

and you are still missing the point.. why would a movie that stayed close to the source material cater "strictly" to fans?

I honestly believe that the GiJoe stuff we have had for a very long time would hold up better on the big screen than what they are doing with this movie.. No catering to fans, just making the best product possible.

Since you clearly missed the part where I pointed out that TEN times the number registered at YoJoe wouldn't realistically be enough to make the film "break even." Ten times the number registered at TNI as a whole wouldn't realistically be enough, either. That's all included in that original post up there. Pay attention next time.

You can "honestly believe" whatever you want. By late August we'll have a pretty good idea about who had a better idea of what general audiences were looking for.

Hell, even something that "stayed close" to the source material wouldn't please all fans. Every single fan has an idea in their head of what the "perfect" Joe movie is. And every single one of those "imaginary ideal movies" is different from everyone else's. Some people want "modernized" Joe. Some people want "80's period piece" Joe. Some people want "Wacky Sci-Fi" Joe and some people want "ultra grim and realistic" Joe. Some want "Toon Based" and some want "Comic Based." Even the fans can't agree on what they want. Every fan has a different view on what the "spirit" of G.I. Joe is. Some people think this film is still staying fairly true to that "spirit." Others don't. Ultimately, the regular moviegoing population will decide if Hasbro/Paramount's gamble has paid off.

PS: Your whole "Consumers rule" argument is a straw man. There will always be consumers (in other words they're not all going to universally turn away from a product). Manufacturers create a product and then MARKET it to consumers to CONVINCE them that they like it/want it. There's a multi-billion dollar industry of people trained to do just that. It's the very reason there are multiple brands of the same product and multiple companies making similar products. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but to claim that the manufacturers have some "obligation" to the consumers is an utter falsehood, particularly when it comes to what directions they take a product in the future. Business is often risk vs. reward. Hasbro and Paramount feel that their current "reward" (The relatively small devoted audience for RAH G.I. Joe) is not great enough for their tastes, so they're taking the "risk" of changing it up in hopes of making that "reward" greater in both the long and short-term. Maybe it was you that needed the economics lesson.

wrong. completely.

you act as if you do what you do for yourself, without expecting compensation in return.

guess what, you DO owe your work to the consumer. No consumer= no work. Be thankful that people want to take in anything that you work on, thus giving you work, and an income.

Hey Clam--walk up to a comic artist, animator.........hell, even an actor and tell them to their face that they OWE you for what they do--and try to walk away without hearing expletives coming from them at you.