Rise of Cobra Cobra Commander figure

die fighting x

if I know Hasbro and movie logic: this will not be the only look for the Cobra Commander in the movie, nor will this be the only movie based figure for old CC

He may end up wearing the hoodie or the mask,so just look at this as an ugly preliminary to at least 3 or 4 different figures of Cobra Commander.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have been a hardcore fan of GI Joe since I was a kid and I must say, this new look of Cobra Commander looks incredible. I was really disappointed when I first saw the Combat Heroes version and I thought it was going to be an absolute mess. But now seeing this awesome new interpretation of Cobra Commander, I have to admit, I am even more excited about this upcoming movie. I personally don't think that the classic helmet version or the hooded version could have made a real solid impact in a live action movie as it had in the animated series.

When I first heard the news that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was finalised to play Cobra Commander, my heart just fell. I just could not bring myself to accept the fact that this annoying snot-nosed punk 'alien kid' will be playing the world's most dreaded terrorist. Also the fact that Marlon Wayans was playing Ripcord almost made me decide to boycott this movie. But it was only because of Sienna Miller's presence that I decided to follow the madness that was going on with this crap. But once I saw the 30 seconds trailer, that was it. It was awesome, tremendous, fabulous and all the synonyms that comes along. It was something I never quite expected - it was the best damn trailer I had ever seen. And that is the reason why I completely changed my opinion about this movie and now I am just loving it. My only concern was with Destro and Cobra Commander's head gear, and after seeing the final result on the leaked images of these action figures, I am totally satisfied with it. Now I can accept Joseph as Cobra Commander with this amazing mask on. I just can't wait for the movie to release because I genuinely feel that this one is going to be for the ages.

Now I only wish that my country's idiotic, messed up, hypocrite, bastard of a government would completely reverse the ban on Chinese made toys and thereby, would allow these totally cool action figures to be sold in our marketplace. Oh the agony of an international collector.

Hey Sid! Well put my friend, and welcome! Now did you grow up in India? And if so, did you collect the Funskool figures, or were you able to get original Joes? I'm always intrigued by collectors from other countries and how they go about collecting, how they acquire stuff that's more readily available in other countries.

I just have to say that, if you try for a moment take this movie and the related toys on face value, like you've never heard of G.I. Joe before and you just see it as a quasi-military, sci-fi action romp, then it becomes pretty darn exciting and very cool. And I can imagine the kids and younger teens seeing it and therefore being introduced to the older stuff through association and interest in the history of G.I. Joe, which would in turn make G.I. Joe more popular than ever before. I'm excited...just as long as the movie doesn't blow and ruin the whole thing. (lol)

It doesn't look very good, IMHO. More accurately, the figure itself doesn't look very good, but the artwork looks better.

However it's certainly not the abomination or the "deth of teh line" that some folks are trying to make it out to be.

A lot will depend on the performance and how it actually looks on-screen. We've had about 10-12 different versions of Cobra Commander over the years (about 50 if you count every repaint and every variation that's popped up in comics/toons/toys/etc...). Now we'll have one more.

The hilarious part being, of course, that if they'd just done a hooded or chrome masked Cobra Commander, the same people crying about the design would be the ones saying "Meh, I already have a dozen hooded/helmeted Cobra Commanders. Give us something DIFFERENT Hasblo!"

Well, I have been a hardcore fan of GI Joe since I was a kid and I must say, this new look of Cobra Commander looks incredible. I was really disappointed when I first saw the Combat Heroes version and I thought it was going to be an absolute mess. But now seeing this awesome new interpretation of Cobra Commander, I have to admit, I am even more excited about this upcoming movie. I personally don't think that the classic helmet version or the hooded version could have made a real solid impact in a live action movie as it had in the animated series.

When I first heard the news that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was finalised to play Cobra Commander, my heart just fell. I just could not bring myself to accept the fact that this annoying snot-nosed punk 'alien kid' will be playing the world's most dreaded terrorist. Also the fact that Marlon Wayans was playing Ripcord almost made me decide to boycott this movie. But it was only because of Sienna Miller's presence that I decided to follow the madness that was going on with this crap. But once I saw the 30 seconds trailer, that was it. It was awesome, tremendous, fabulous and all the synonyms that comes along. It was something I never quite expected - it was the best damn trailer I had ever seen. And that is the reason why I completely changed my opinion about this movie and now I am just loving it. My only concern was with Destro and Cobra Commander's head gear, and after seeing the final result on the leaked images of these action figures, I am totally satisfied with it. Now I can accept Joseph as Cobra Commander with this amazing mask on. I just can't wait for the movie to release because I genuinely feel that this one is going to be for the ages.

Now I only wish that my country's idiotic, messed up, hypocrite, bastard of a government would completely reverse the ban on Chinese made toys and thereby, would allow these totally cool action figures to be sold in our marketplace. Oh the agony of an international collector.

is it me or does paint in toys rubb off to easy these days? -- other then that i'm glad i'm not the only one supporting the film's ideas and such.

Actually I agree with Jmacq1 that if hasbro had just rehashed an old CC figure with hood or faceplate, ye still wouldn't be satisfied . true they could of designed him to be unable to see his face for he movie but him getting disfigured is probable a important plot device and they wanted the audience to relate to the character better if you can see just how bad the disfigurement is

I think I figured out what I don't like about it. It's just too "busy." Oddly enough, I think a simpler color scheme/breakdown would help the figure a lot.

Either way, in my particular "Joe Verse" I'm probably going to go with my original plan and make him "Dr. Venom Reborn."

Hey Sid! Well put my friend, and welcome! Now did you grow up in India? And if so, did you collect the Funskool figures, or were you able to get original Joes? I'm always intrigued by collectors from other countries and how they go about collecting, how they acquire stuff that's more readily available in other countries.

Hey there. Yes, I did grow up in India. And all my GI Joe action figures that I have collected since the age of 7 has been only the Funskool version (except 2 imports of Spirit & Night Vulture of the Air Commandos series that I was lucky enough to find in a store). It was only after 2003 when Funskool lost its GI Joe licence that I had to abruptly end collecting the Joes action figures. And finally last year, after I got an Ebay account, I was able to order a whole bunch of the 25th Anniversary action figures. It certainly is sad that the 25th Anniversary series never saw the light in my country. But to my relief, I found out that Funskool had acquired the licence to the GI Joe movie franchise, only to later see my govt. ban the import of all action figures from China, due to which Funskool has decided to drop the GI Joe and Transformers 2 line completely. So as much as it sucks, I have to now go again on Ebay to buy these movie figures.

Doesn't look like anything from TMNT I've ever seen. If it did maybe Joe would be going on its fifth theatrical movie instead of first... ooooooooh yeah I went there ;)

You're right......and only one of them was good. @smilepunch@

Oh and that CC is crap........that's all I really needed to say.

On one hand, I want the costume to make sense and have a function, say for example like Darth Vader; he has to wear the mask and armor because of his condition. I think maybe that's where they're going with this, and that's cool.

On the other hand, just as with Vader also, this new suit is not very practical in how it looks, but that's cool too. It reminds me of a villain that Jim Lee would have designed for WildC.A.T.s or something, and I guess that's why I like it.

I am not impressed. I wasn't really expecting him to look right out of the comics or cartoons, but I was hoping for something I could look at and still say "Cobra Commander" to me. But this doesn't do that. He looks more like a Venom Trooper.

I think I figured out what I don't like about it. It's just too "busy." Oddly enough, I think a simpler color scheme/breakdown would help the figure a lot.

Either way, in my particular "Joe Verse" I'm probably going to go with my original plan and make him "Dr. Venom Reborn."

That's what I'm thinking. As a TOY...I'm interested enough already in this figure, as just something NEW and interesting, and yes, a Dr. Venom or something along that line. :)

However, as a new look for the FIRST EVER MOVIE version of our dear Cobra Commander....I'm disappointed to say the least. This is the first shot at making us fans (not that I'm so arrogant as to assume they're making it JUST or even SPECIFICALLY for "fans" with any real care or acknowledgment.. just sayin') a LIVE ACTION movie version of the popular 80's cartoon and action figure toy line ARAH, and it may be a ONE SHOT opportunity depending on the reaction to it, so it's hardly a surprise that fans of the classice CC are disappointed in how THIS particular image looks of him.

I'm so picky, I couldn't even accept that snot-nosed, whiny, little, spoiled brat actor who portrayed Darth Vader in the last two prequel movies could have even POSSIBLY been the same awesome badass dude that I feared and LOVED from the originals....now way no how! ^_^

Actually I agree with Jmacq1 that if hasbro had just rehashed an old CC figure with hood or faceplate, ye still wouldn't be satisfied.

Yeah, sure..just blame and criticize the fans that complain. :rolleyes: That excuse gets old and tiresome. People are allowed to have an objective opinion and not have it be the "DETH OF TEH FANDUM" for those that can't deal with complaints.

true they could of designed him to be unable to see his face for he movie but him getting disfigured is probable a important plot device and they wanted the audience to relate to the character better if you can see just how bad the disfigurement is

Overkill and unnecessary to establish a villain in a 2 hour movie based on something that has a following already and no need to re-establish some background over it's main characters. Non-fans and folks NEW to the mythos, just want ACTION in a movie like this and the best way to impress them is to start right in with it upon the very opening sequence....a shoot'em battle between some Cobra's and Joes and move forward from there with a plot. It's got roughtly 2 hours to fill with action-packed excitement and I think it's boring when they use it to cover the why's and what for's of the bad guys. This is a weekly TV show like Lost or 24!

If it's a success..make a damn prequel. ^_^

I don't get the studio disdain for the KKK Hood. COBRA Commander is a VILLAIN and terrorist! I'd think the hood would have really gotten that point across.

First Marlon Wayans, then Storm Shadow's outfit, then the whole team in black X-Men suits, now COBRA Commander? This movie is really looking bad...

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people that will potentially be going to see this movie are not familiar with the backgrounds of any of these characters, and if they are, it's probably the cartoon versions.

So yeah, establishing some background is probably at least somewhat necessary. Moviegoers definitely -do- complain when they don't get any sort of "filler" information along the way. Even many kids' cartoons these days play up their "internal mythology" along the way, and start out with "origin episodes."

I don't get the studio disdain for the KKK Hood. COBRA Commander is a VILLAIN and terrorist! I'd think the hood would have really gotten that point across.

It looks like a bag over someone's head. Think about that for a minute.

A criminal mastermind, head of a worldwide terrorist organization, leader of evil.........wearing a bag over his head.

If that doesn't invoke at least snickers.....I don't know what will.....

I think the black battle corps cobra commander provided a realistic design for CC. The hood (not "bag") could easily be explained in multiple ways, the scarring route, or the fact he simply wanted to be anonymous to strike fear into the hearts of others.

This masks just reeks of cheesy sci-fi. I still hold joe or not, this is a bad plot, and in several cases bad actors, and most definitely a terrible director. So i'm confused how it can make any kind of Good movie?

One major problem with this movie stems from Making joe less American, Being an international team makes less sense, makes it less relatable to by Americans, and forces cobra from a some what realistic hate America terrorist stance into a Global domination scheming buffoon. I also think making it less millitary has pushed in this sci-fi directions.

I agree joe was never blackhawk down, but the Joe side was never as far out as this. Initially Cobra was the whack jobs with the future tech, and that all a lot of fans (probably most) like it.

I agree joe was never blackhawk down, but the Joe side was never as far out as this. Initially Cobra was the whack jobs with the future tech, and that all a lot of fans (probably most) like it.

Naaaaw, GIJOE only had laser cannons, laser rifles, the HAVOC with its flying hovercraft, jet packs, robotic suits, flying subs, giant rolling headquarters, helicopters that deploy from tanks, mobile shuttle launchers......y'know normal everyday-type stuff.... :rolleyes:

Naaaaw, GIJOE only had laser cannons, laser rifles, the HAVOC with its flying hovercraft, jet packs, robotic suits, flying subs, giant rolling headquarters, helicopters that deploy from tanks, mobile shuttle launchers......y'know normal everyday-type stuff.... :rolleyes:

Your just jealous because Canada doesn't....