A note to Mattel

CLAM

lol.. well I am going to make sure that I am home at 12 on the dot, and I am ordering 10... and then I am going to have my brother and my sister order 10 just in case something goes wrong with my order...

so I am getting 30.. and whoever isn't there at 11:59 to beat me, tough luck... if you are really a fan you would find a way.. you should get 3 people to order for you

good luck with 30 considering you can only purchase 4 per sale. unless you have 8 brothers and sisters, then it may work.

Max order qty is 10 if you look at the item specifics.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.. well I am going to make sure that I am home at 12 on the dot, and I am ordering 10... and then I am going to have my brother and my sister order 10 just in case something goes wrong with my order...

so I am getting 30.. and whoever isn't there at 11:59 to beat me, tough luck... if you are really a fan you would find a way.. you should get 3 people to order for you

good luck with 30 considering you can only purchase 4 per sale. unless you have 8 brothers and sisters, then it may work.

Max order qty is 10 if you look at the item specifics.

well i stand corrected. The 4 Qty must have only been for faker.

Just for fun I put in Masters of the Universe Classics Preorder in Google. I came up with several online stores that have preorders for unreleased figures anywhere from $40.00 to $85.00. My guess is they have several acoounts and are ordering the max quantity of 10 per account. Some of the stores include:

BigBadToyStore

Digital Toys

Brians Toys

Now do a search for Faker on Ebay and you will come up with about 75 to 100 auctions for him. It doesn't seem like a lot but if you were a scalper would you put all of your "Inventory" up at once and take the riak of saturating the market and by turn lowering the cost, or would you put them up one at a time while he is sought after. I don't know, I am asking.

Take into account how many figures are produced. I have no facts to support this, but I will say 10,000-15,000. I base this on the reissues from years ago being limited to that. They were relativily easy to find at that qty.

Again, I have no facts to support my theories, but it looks like 10-15% of the produced figures could be getting scalped. Not a huge amount, but when you add that to collectors who feel the need to have 5 of each figure (you know your out there) for various reasons and you have a quick sell out.

Again, I have no facts to support my theories, but it looks like 10-15% of the produced figures could be getting scalped. Not a huge amount, but when you add that to collectors who feel the need to have 5 of each figure (you know your out there) for various reasons and you have a quick sell out.

Re-selling is not the same as scalping.

I think there are a lot of re-sellers, but no one's forcing anyone else to bid up a Faker to $50 or %60 dollars.

Now places like BBTS are a little more close to scalpers with this situation, but they're a business out to make money any way they can, so they're not really in the wrong. They're selling MOTUC for what people will pay.

I think there are a lot of re-sellers, but no one's forcing anyone else to bid up a Faker to $50 or %60 dollars.

Now places like BBTS are a little more close to scalpers with this situation, but they're a business out to make money any way they can, so they're not really in the wrong. They're selling MOTUC for what people will pay.

Isn't a scalper in buisness to make money? I really don't see your logic. I personally do not have a problem with scalpers for the most part. It is a free country. My problem is with the order quantities which make it easier to scalp.

The only reason people are willing to pay that much is because the figures sell out quickly because online retailers and "re-sellers" buy up as many as they can for resale...sure, whatever, that's business, they have every right, yadda yadda. It still sucks...

Just put the thing on a subscription service, or allow Mattycollector pre-orders, like others have suggested. Once the diehards get their figures, open it up for whoever wants to buy however many they want.

huh?

what exactly is re-selling then?

The only reason people are willing to pay that much is because the figures sell out quickly because online retailers and "re-sellers" buy up as many as they can for resale...sure, whatever, that's business, they have every right, yadda yadda. It still sucks...

Just put the thing on a subscription service, or allow Mattycollector pre-orders, like others have suggested. Once the diehards get their figures, open it up for whoever wants to buy however many they want.

I believe the main problem is that Mattel's limit per figure is like 10 of the same figs per customer. If they changed the limit to something like 3, more fans may be able to get them.

Isn't a scalper in buisness to make money? I really don't see your logic. I personally do not have a problem with scalpers for the most part. It is a free country. My problem is with the order quantities which make it easier to scalp.

If someone lists a figure at a $9.99 starting bid and it ends up at $50, that doesn't make them a scalper. Assuming there's no shady business going on, it's the buyers who drove up the price, not the seller.

A scalper is in the business to make money, but they try to take advantage of the market and sell at a higher price. That's why BBTS is closer to being a scalper (they sell at $30 or $40 or $50) than the guy who lists his figure at $20 to start. Theoretically, there's a possibility that figure will sell for $20, but there's no possibility that BBTS' figures will sell for their original price.

huh?

You ought to know this, but whatever.

Re-selling is selling a figure on the secondary market.

Scalping generally implies trying to make money on the figure you're re-selling by marking up the price.

If someone lists a MOTUC figure for sale on eBay at $20 plus shipping, that's not scalping. That's just re-selling. Scalping would be listing a figure on eBay at $60 plus shipping.

Scalpers are the bad guys in the toy world. They buy up all the product at retail to sell at a significant markup in a market they've cornered.

If someone lists a figure at a $9.99 starting bid and it ends up at $50, that doesn't make them a scalper. Assuming there's no shady business going on, it's the buyers who drove up the price, not the seller.

A scalper is in the business to make money, but they try to take advantage of the market and sell at a higher price. That's why BBTS is closer to being a scalper (they sell at $30 or $40 or $50) than the guy who lists his figure at $20 to start. Theoretically, there's a possibility that figure will sell for $20, but there's no possibility that BBTS' figures will sell for their original price.

huh?

Scalping generally implies trying to make money on the figure you're re-selling by marking up the price.

If someone lists a MOTUC figure for sale on eBay at $20 plus shipping, that's not scalping. That's just re-selling. Scalping would be listing a figure on eBay at $60 plus shipping.

Scalpers are the bad guys in the toy world. They buy up all the product at retail to sell at a significant markup in a market they've cornered.

I am going to have to disagree. strongly.

If somebody buys an item for the purpose of "reselling" it, I believe that makes them a scalper. UNLESS- they sell the item for the exact same price they paid.

Putting an item up for auction on ebay for the exact same price, is still scalping to me, because you are doing so with the hope that it will get you a profit. If somebody is only reselling, they would put it for BUY IT NOW at the same price they paid.

thus, I don't believe reselling happens, pretty much ever.

If you bought extra Fakers to "resell" on ebay with a starting bid of 20 bucks, knowing full well that the other Fakers are going for 50+, and that yours will gain you some kind of profit (even if letting the market decide how much), that IS SCALPING.

Now, put your extra Faker up, BUY IT NOW, for 20 bucks, that could be this "reselling" thing you are speaking of, because you are not seeking a profit

also, "resellers" are bad guys too (unless as I said, they are selling for the exact same price and not a dime more, and not in auction form), because they keep me from getting an item at it's actual cost just as much as scalpers do.

I'm getting an inclination that you are a scalper who has a hard time accepting the moniker... if you scalp, accept it.

I know a scalper in my area, everybody hates him, not because he is a scalper, but because he is a royal douchebag... we call him superscalper, and he doesn't deny it.. he says "ebay is my business, I am a business man."

I am so disappointed with the MOTU's line, thumbs down with a frown........want some figures which I have NO CHANCE in getting.

How havnt you had a chance in getting the figures? Until Faker all of the figures were available for at least a few days.

huh?

If somebody buys an item for the purpose of "reselling" it, I believe that makes them a scalper. UNLESS- they sell the item for the exact same price they paid.

Putting an item up for auction on ebay for the exact same price, is still scalping to me, because you are doing so with the hope that it will get you a profit. If somebody is only reselling, they would put it for BUY IT NOW at the same price they paid.

If you bought extra Fakers to "resell" on ebay with a starting bid of 20 bucks, knowing full well that the other Fakers are going for 50+, and that yours will gain you some kind of profit (even if letting the market decide how much), that IS SCALPING.

Now, put your extra Faker up, BUY IT NOW, for 20 bucks, that could be this "reselling" thing you are speaking of, because you are not seeking a profit

also, "resellers" are bad guys too (unless as I said, they are selling for the exact same price and not a dime more, and not in auction form), because they keep me from getting an item at it's actual cost just as much as scalpers do.

I'm getting an inclination that you are a scalper who has a hard time accepting the moniker... if you scalp, accept it.

I know a scalper in my area, everybody hates him, not because he is a scalper, but because he is a royal douchebag... we call him superscalper, and he doesn't deny it.. he says "ebay is my business, I am a business man."

your veiws on everything are blown so out of proportion its not even funny. Have you ever sold anything ever? have you? Then you a scalper too! Give me a break! If random guy buys a figure and hopes to make an extra dollar selling it, good for him. I do it, i have bills to pay, i have toys to buy. If i can list an item for $2 and someone will pay $100 for it then so be it.

Do i make it my business to do this, no! I leave that to the people who buy up everything they can get their hands on, and raise the price by being the only people you can get said figure from.

But rolling up in here thrown out the scalper name at anyone that sells anything is unnecessary. Im pretty sure if you were walking through the toy aisle and you saw a shelf full of yellow stalkers you wouldnt be selling them for retail price.

huh?

your veiws on everything are blown so out of proportion its not even funny. Have you ever sold anything ever? have you? Then you a scalper too! Give me a break! If random guy buys a figure and hopes to make an extra dollar selling it, good for him. I do it, i have bills to pay, i have toys to buy. If i can list an item for $2 and someone will pay $100 for it then so be it.

Do i make it my business to do this, no! I leave that to the people who buy up everything they can get their hands on, and raise the price by being the only people you can get said figure from.

But rolling up in here thrown out the scalper name at anyone that sells anything is unnecessary. Im pretty sure if you were walking through the toy aisle and you saw a shelf full of yellow stalkers you wouldnt be selling them for retail price.

If I saw a peg full of yellow Stalkers, I would buy them all, and I would SCALP them, not resell them.

I don't like scalping, but I would have to do it in that instance. And I would own up to it.

I have sold things, but they were pieces that I decided I no longer wanted or had room for.. not crap that I bought with the intent to make money off of.

in a way scalpers are good for buisness. what if mattel havent sold so many figs? maybe the line would be dead allready. most of the scalpers are even hanging on their figs. peaple just can blame themself for buying them at these costs, sorry. mattel should do more of them and voila. if it wasnt for ebay or some scalpers who wanted to make a little money, (of course their is a difference in 5-usd more and 40-usd more then the official price) i would not have the latest marvel legends, dc universe classics, indiana jones, star wars, spiderman, movie masters figures. why because they dont deliver to other countrys. mattel, hasbro and all of them can just blame themself for this mess. mattel will do more he-mans, skeletor, faker and even king greyskull? so why is their so much anger around? just be patient guys. yes i was a lucky bastard to get one but it hasnt arrived yet. so maybe they got lost in the mail. who knows.

The apologetic response was fine until they got to this part

"but remember, we do announce the on sale dates three months in advance. All figures go on sale at 12:00 noon on the 15th of the month (unless the 15th is a weekend, in which case it is the next Monday non holiday). So if you want him, you'll know when to log on to buy. "

I think that statement didn't sit to well with a lot of fans including myself.

Also increasing future figure production's won't help any of us get a Faker.

Oh God. No one likes to hear the truth. We are told well in advance and it's your own fault for not getting one. Plain and simple.

Ouch!

But in all honesty you pretty much have a point, because at this point some fans

are getting absurdly ungrateful as if Mattel personally owes them something. They've indicated that

they are planning to rerelease core characters and people are still not content. This is nothing

more than a mere hobby and many want the luxury to get whatever they want, when they want, but

that's not how it always works, especially when it comes to collecting. This line looks as if it might

require effort on the parts of those truly invested in collecting these figures.

I don't feel to sad for the people who missed out on He-Man and Beastman as they had ample time

to obtain one regardless if mattel pulled them pre-maturely. Since we know that these core

characters will enviably resurface hopefully people that procrastinated the first time will not

hesitate a second time and plan on getting one or having some help to obtain one.

By this time, I assume you both guys have Faker, haven t you?

Let me ask you this what difference would it make? You seem to

be inferring that the ones telling them to get over it are the heartless Faker hoarders. And for

the record I do have him, but even if I didn't I sure wouldn't be taking it personal like some.

I dont know why, but for some reason I think you would be in the other side of the equation if you didnthave one already. Thats the difference. However, I dont think you are a heartless Faker hoarder, because I think that you have more things in your life other than toy colleting. You need to face that Mattel is not handling these line the way they should.

On the contrary, I wouldn't be on the other side of the equation all because I have a balanced view of this particular hobby.

I have on many occasions missed out on exclusives just like many of us no doubt have at one point, yet I'm not going

to get any less sleep because of it. As far as me facing anything, I don't need to face anything as I never stated Mattel was

handling the line as well as they could.

I have never seen a major toy line that is so hard to get as this one. I grew up with He-man figures, and it grieves me that I will never own another He-man figure because Mattel is so damn greedy. Greedy as in penny-wise, dollar stupid. They would rather have 100% sales and only make thousands instead of mass producing them and make millions. Who ever is their marketing "genius" behind this should be fired.

With the popularity of wrestling figures, why not flood the market with He-man figures?

Every good business owner knows you have to spend money to make money.

I have never seen a major toy line that is so hard to get as this one. I grew up with He-man figures, and it grieves me that I will never own another He-man figure because Mattel is so damn greedy. Greedy as in penny-wise, dollar stupid. They would rather have 100% sales and only make thousands instead of mass producing them and make millions. Who ever is their marketing "genius" behind this should be fired.

With the popularity of wrestling figures, why not flood the market with He-man figures?

But this isn't a major toy line, it hasn't been in over 20 years. This is niche, collector line, like Sideshow's products or even Neca's statue lines. Compounding that issue is that the last time MOTU got a major push in 2002, it basically crash and burned at retail at the height of the 80s nostalgia trend (we can argue the reasons all day, the fact remains the line is largely considered a failure by both Mattel and retailers).

ANY retailer or manufacturer would be THRILLED to see a 100% sell through for a niche collector line in a down economy. They are clearly making some profit on these figures at the current production levels, and to see a sell out is a GOOD THING. Given previous performance of the brand, I don't blame for being conservative thus far. It will be interesting to see how Merman does with increased production levels.

An important thing to consider though, is the "saturation effect". I've seen it in DOZENS of toylines, most recently in GI Joe: The initial product of the line was a surprise hit. New and old collectors, speculators, scalpers and parents jumped to it in droves but for the most part, retailers were conservative in orders because of the previous uneven performance of the line.

Retailers increase orders for later in the year to compensate the "incredible demand", Hasbro makes MORE product SKUs to get more product out there due to percieved demand. The end result?

Sales dip, the money once spent solely on singles is now divided between single figures, comic packs, vehicle, DVD packs and exclusives. The more casual buyers loose interest because some figures become incredibly common, or new waves are held up by reships of older figure produced IN RESPONSE to fan/retailer demand for more figures.

Toy collectors are a fickle and short-sighted bunch. I'm still wondering just how "hot" MOTU will be in another year with higher production levels and more of the "essential characters" basically done. Right now, Mattel's maintaining interest with lower production runs and only a single figure a month, but we'll see how things go in another year, and how well He-Man and Skeletor's second runs do in the fall.

Plus, with being online only, Mattel is MUCH more able to adjust this line to changing market conditions (ie, changing production sizes, figure wants) and not have to deal the peskier retailer demands.

sad but true. the fact that every figure is sold out means good business for Mattel for now. Its up to Mattel how to maintain that staying power and at the same time make collectors happy. I read at the other forum that they are seriously considering the Pre-Order set up for the hardcore collectors.

whatever happens there is potential money making opportunity with this toy line. lets face it. Scalpers, resellers or whatever you want to call them is making money right now. And I for one can't totally blame them even if I didn't get mine because it is "business". I didn't get Faker, Tough! But I'll be getting mine because of a trade. These scalpers are here to stay whether we like it or not.

Anybody heard of hoarding? Supply and demand my fellow collectors.

And I'm getting the feeling you're a paranoid, never-satisfied fanboy who blames scalpers anytime a store doesn't have what you wanted. Because I don't agree with your skewed way of thinking, you automatically assume I must be the enemy you speak of.

Not that anyone has to explain themselves to anyone else, but I'm not a scalper. I'm not even a re-seller. The only extra MOTUC figures I've purchased were to help a fellow boardie out who couldn't get Skeletor before he was going to sell out.

I'm just logical, open-minded, and sensible about things, and I don't jump to conclusions or resort to knee-jerk reactions.

But this isn't a major toy line, it hasn't been in over 20 years. This is niche, collector line, like Sideshow's products or even Neca's statue lines. Compounding that issue is that the last time MOTU got a major push in 2002, it basically crash and burned at retail at the height of the 80s nostalgia trend (we can argue the reasons all day, the fact remains the line is largely considered a failure by both Mattel and retailers).

ANY retailer or manufacturer would be THRILLED to see a 100% sell through for a niche collector line in a down economy. They are clearly making some profit on these figures at the current production levels, and to see a sell out is a GOOD THING. Given previous performance of the brand, I don't blame for being conservative thus far. It will be interesting to see how Merman does with increased production levels.

An important thing to consider though, is the "saturation effect". I've seen it in DOZENS of toylines, most recently in GI Joe: The initial product of the line was a surprise hit. New and old collectors, speculators, scalpers and parents jumped to it in droves but for the most part, retailers were conservative in orders because of the previous uneven performance of the line.

Retailers increase orders for later in the year to compensate the "incredible demand", Hasbro makes MORE product SKUs to get more product out there due to percieved demand. The end result?

Sales dip, the money once spent solely on singles is now divided between single figures, comic packs, vehicle, DVD packs and exclusives. The more casual buyers loose interest because some figures become incredibly common, or new waves are held up by reships of older figure produced IN RESPONSE to fan/retailer demand for more figures.

Toy collectors are a fickle and short-sighted bunch. I'm still wondering just how "hot" MOTU will be in another year with higher production levels and more of the "essential characters" basically done. Right now, Mattel's maintaining interest with lower production runs and only a single figure a month, but we'll see how things go in another year, and how well He-Man and Skeletor's second runs do in the fall.

Plus, with being online only, Mattel is MUCH more able to adjust this line to changing market conditions (ie, changing production sizes, figure wants) and not have to deal the peskier retailer demands.

Well I thought it was a major toy line at one point. It had a live action movie and the cartoons has been re-released on DVD. As a "short sighted and fickled toy collector" I guess my judgement is rather clouded. <_<

However your point is very respectable and understood. I'm just not willing to let go of the good old days where you can actually buy these on shelves.

I guess I'm out-dated.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE