A note to Mattel

CLAM

Clam, you say you've only been able to buy one of the first five? Why is that? I can see that you had other obligations that interfered with Faker, but he-man and beast man were up for almost an entire month! Skeletor made it a week. Stratos is more understandable with what, 3 days was it?..but everyone was given ample time on the first 3. I know sometimes you cant get to your computer right away, but if you really wanted them you'd remember to order them the first chance you got. Maybe thats just me though. (not really, I go on within the first hour and place my orders from work). Just out of curiosity, which one did you get?

honestly, it was my fault that I didn't jump on Heman and Beastman right away. I was waiting for Skeletor to come out and order all 3 at the same time.

However, I had no idea that Matty was going to pull them from their website BEFORE they sold out.

Skeletor was my fault too. I was soured by the Heman/Beastman scandal and indecisive if I was even going to attempt to collect the line anymore. By the time I had decided to buy him, he was gone. I know that was stupid, but the other two lasted a month, I had no idea Skeletor was only going to last less than 3 days... again though, this was due to Matty removing the first two and creating a false scarcity of them, fueling the scalpers.

I did manage to get a Stratos, ordered him the first night he came out... I don't even like him.. I just didn't want to kick myself later again.

You know something CLAM I almost missed out a few times myself. I waited for over an entire month before I pulled the

trigger on Heman and Beastman and 2 weeks before Mattel pulled them I got one of each, of course by the time I

received both which took nearly another month I regretted not getting duplicates. As for Skeletor another collector

here actually helped me out and ordered 2 for me and he actually did it an hour before they were sold out. Like you

I never figured that they would sell so quick, of course now we all know what to expect now.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice how whenever anyone asks about the future of a collector-based line, like MOTUC or JLU, Mattel says the future of a line depends on fan interest or fan support? To me, this seems like they're placing the burden of the line's success on us, the collectors and fans, rather than on the people who determine which figures are made, what they look like, their availability, etc.

Ultimately it does intrinsically belong to the fans to support a line, they're a business and without constant customers they will fold,

so of course the burden falls primarily on the fans to support it otherwise you'll just have a bunch of figures sitting on shelves made by a company

which does cost them money.

Yet, they never make the figures easy enough to find for the people who gladly want to give them there hard earned money. I'm thinking most Mattel employees are just juicing us collectors........like the mafia. They create false hype to get more money out of us using the scalper theory. @loll@

I'm glad I forgot about this line........I wanted to get into it but I got interested too late and I'm not playing this game again........it was too frustrating back in 2003-04.

Once again there is an online empty peg.............lame!!!

Ever notice how whenever anyone asks about the future of a collector-based line, like MOTUC or JLU, Mattel says the future of a line depends on fan interest or fan support? To me, this seems like they're placing the burden of the line's success on us, the collectors and fans, rather than on the people who determine which figures are made, what they look like, their availability, etc.

Ultimately it does intrinsically belong to the fans to support a line, they're a business and without constant customers they will fold,

so of course the burden falls primarily on the fans to support it otherwise you'll just have a bunch of figures sitting on shelves made by a company

Yet, they never make the figures easy enough to find for the people who gladly want to give them there hard earned money. I'm thinking most Mattel employees are just juicing us collectors........like the mafia. They create false hype to get more money out of us using the scalper theory. @loll@

I'm glad I forgot about this line........I wanted to get into it but I got interested too late and I'm not playing this game again........it was too frustrating back in 2003-04.

I believe it has worked so far, not only have fans been giving their hard earn money but these figs have been

selling out with each release. Personally I think Mattel would prefer an online empty peg than online peg warmers,

which fans were complaining about during the 200X line.

true. for those without Faker like me I guess we just have to wait a few weeks until they ship the figures and then I'm pretty sure Ebay will be flooded with this figure.

Patience is a virtue....But He-Man, Beast Man and Skeletor: that is a different story.

I believe it has worked so far, not only have fans been giving their hard earn money but these figs have been

selling out with each release. Personally I think Mattel would prefer an online empty peg than online peg warmers,

What people were complaining about with the 200X line was availability of secondary characters......not peg warming. Yeah, there was a ton of He-man's and Skellys on the pegs but it was the fact that those were the only characters collectors saw when they went into to the store........the secondary characters were in short supply.......thus making collecting the line hard. At the same time this created a scalpers dream line.........with secondary characters going for crazy amounts of money on ebay and at shows.

But the main problem here was AVAILABILITY..........people can't collect what isn't in stock. I've paid attention to this somewhat right around the time He-man sold out.......I was thinking about getting into the line and then I saw what they were doing with He-man and Beast-man......pulling some to get the hype up. Yeah, it kind of worked but at the same time it also let every scalper in the country aware of the money that could be made.

Right now there are about 80 Faker auctions on ebay alone.......with a handful being from the original MOTU line.

They still haven't given a concrete answer if and when He-man and Skeletor will be back in stock......I'm already 4 figures behind with no idea if the past figures will be offered again and how. (If I wanted to start up)

What people were complaining about with the 200X line was availability of secondary characters......not peg warming. Yeah, there was a ton of He-man's and Skellys on the pegs but it was the fact that those were the only characters collectors saw when they went into to the store........the secondary characters were in short supply.......thus making collecting the line hard. At the same time this created a scalpers dream line.........with secondary characters going for crazy amounts of money on ebay and at shows.

But the main problem here was AVAILABILITY..........people can't collect what isn't in stock. I've paid attention to this somewhat right around the time He-man sold out.......I was thinking about getting into the line and then I saw what they were doing with He-man and Beast-man......pulling some to get the hype up. Yeah, it kind of worked but at the same time it also let every scalper in the country aware of the money that could be made.

Right now there are about 80 Faker auctions on ebay alone.......with a handful being from the original MOTU line.

They still haven't given a concrete answer if and when He-man and Skeletor will be back in stock......I'm already 4 figures behind with no idea if the past figures will be offered again and how. (If I wanted to start up)

I'm not saying that the main complaint was peg warming, but it was no doubt a concern to many.

When the line lacks many available secondary characters and all you see is He-Man and Skeletor

clogging shelves, one can easily discern that that isn't a good sign for the longevity of a toyline,

especially for one that is mass produced. Like I said before, I'm sure Mattel may be content that

MOTUC sell by any means necessary even if scalpers are exploiting the situation. I'm all but certain

that He-Man and Skeletor will resurface as they are the 2 main characters.

Here is the bottom line. Mattel is either going to have an online toy store or they are not. Right now I would say it is the later. Here is my advise to Mattel......S--- or get off the pot!

Yes, they have. Right after Faker sold out, Mattycollector posted this apologetic response for all the fans:

MOTUC fans,

Well, even through we lowered the limit of Faker to 4 per person (the same limit as at NYCC) we still sold out of the Evil Robot of Skeletor in record time. While we are pleased he sold out so quick, we do share fan's pain that he was only available for a few hours.

To help with this, we have increased production of all figures going forward. Mer-Man may wind up coming in as two seperarte shipments (meaning even if we sell out on Day 1, we will get a second shipment in a few days later). And going forward we are increasing production across the board for all future MOTUC figures.

We will also look at brining back some of the early figures again once we judge sales on the reissues of He-Man and Skeletor this fall.

We do want to keep working with our fans to make this line the best it can be. We regret if fan's missed out on the chance to own a Faker, but remember, we do announce the on sale dates three months in advance. All figures go on sale at 12:00 noon on the 15th of the month (unless the 15th is a weekend, in which case it is the next Monday non holiday). So if you want him, you'll know when to log on to buy.

Keep the feedback coming and we will do our best to continue shapping the line for fan's first!

Matty

Toyguru previously posted over at the 'Org that He-Man's re-issue will have corrected shoulders and less red around the eyes. I actually like how my He-Man was painted but I know that it was a problem for others.

The apologetic response was fine until they got to this part

"but remember, we do announce the on sale dates three months in advance. All figures go on sale at 12:00 noon on the 15th of the month (unless the 15th is a weekend, in which case it is the next Monday non holiday). So if you want him, you'll know when to log on to buy. "

I think that statement didn't sit to well with a lot of fans including myself.

Also increasing future figure production's won't help any of us get a Faker.

"but remember, we do announce the on sale dates three months in advance. All figures go on sale at 12:00 noon on the 15th of the month (unless the 15th is a weekend, in which case it is the next Monday non holiday). So if you want him, you'll know when to log on to buy. "

Oh God. No one likes to hear the truth. We are told well in advance and it's your own fault for not getting one. Plain and simple.

Oh God. No one likes to hear the truth. We are told well in advance and it's your own fault for not getting one. Plain and simple.

Ouch!

But in all honesty you pretty much have a point, because at this point some fans

are getting absurdly ungrateful as if Mattel personally owes them something. They've indicated that

they are planning to rerelease core characters and people are still not content. This is nothing

more than a mere hobby and many want the luxury to get whatever they want, when they want, but

that's not how it always works, especially when it comes to collecting. This line looks as if it might

require effort on the parts of those truly invested in collecting these figures.

I don't feel to sad for the people who missed out on He-Man and Beastman as they had ample time

to obtain one regardless if mattel pulled them pre-maturely. Since we know that these core

characters will enviably resurface hopefully people that procrastinated the first time will not

hesitate a second time and plan on getting one or having some help to obtain one.

That is the biggest crock of crap since being told the bail outs are good for the economy. I own a small buisness (Steel and metal fabrication) and I wouldn't even think about saying something remotely close to that to a customer. I can rattle all kinds of reasons Mattel doesn't care.

1. Limits per order. I am not sure what it is now, but 10 per order was insane, a scalpers dream. For God's sake BBTS has preorders up for upcoming figures for $50.00

2. They pull what they have from their website to sell at a Con leaving the rest of the world behind because Lord knows NY can keep the line alive.

3. The arguement that Faker is an Exclusive torks me for 2 reasons. I can't go to a con at the drop of a hat and buy one, and Making a figre that appeared in the classic line an exclusive is just a slap in the face to collectors. Want to say you care about the collectors, make a I love NY He-man as an exclusive and leave sought after characters for the regular line.

I could go on and on, but since I am at work all day I need to save any free time to wait until the next figure to become available.

Not quite so simple, the figure quite honestly was not available to most people due to the time available. People work during the day, alot of people simply did not get a chance due to the low number Mattel had left. And before you or anyone argues that this was a con exclusive first and we were simple given this as a bonus like Greyskull let me quote the ad in the newest toyfare, "Be the first to see the latest fully articulated and highly detailed MOTUC figure at NY Comic Con Feb. 6th - 8th, then visit Mattycollector.com on March 15th to bring this robot menace home." Now I dont know about everybody here, but I do advertising for a living, and that reads to me that come March this is the figure available. Not a limited con exclusive that we are getting a crack at, but a full run March character. Confusing your customer base doesnt help, it will just get people upset.

That is the biggest crock of crap since being told the bail outs are good for the economy. I own a small buisness (Steel and metal fabrication) and I wouldn't even think about saying something remotely close to that to a customer. I can rattle all kinds of reasons Mattel doesn't care.

1. Limits per order. I am not sure what it is now, but 10 per order was insane, a scalpers dream. For God's sake BBTS has preorders up for upcoming figures for $50.00

2. They pull what they have from their website to sell at a Con leaving the rest of the world behind because Lord knows NY can keep the line alive.

3. The arguement that Faker is an Exclusive torks me for 2 reasons. I can't go to a con at the drop of a hat and buy one, and Making a figre that appeared in the classic line an exclusive is just a slap in the face to collectors. Want to say you care about the collectors, make a I love NY He-man as an exclusive and leave sought after characters for the regular line.

I could go on and on, but since I am at work all day I need to save any free time to wait until the next figure to become available.

Oh please! If you own a business, then you know the aim of the business is to profit by what they offer.

If they allocate a limit of 10 units per customer, and all those units sell out......that business has done what it set out to do: sell the units.

Are you saying that in your business, you assign limits to your customers, so they can only buy so much sheet metal product? So that someone else can buy their "fair share", and you do this because "you care"???

C'mon, that is absurd in the extreme.

Mattel's only mistake here was underestimating the demand, BUT......that ends up being a savvy call in the end anyway.

That's because the demand is there, they can go back at a later date, make more and sell through on the second round. What a concept: having your customers clamouring for your product. Utterly brilliant, I'm surprised no-one has thought of this before. @smilepunch@

If they hear from a couple hundred to a thousand people who say they missed out on these figures, they WILL turn around, at a later date, and make more--I can guarantee you this.

Oh please! If you own a business, then you know the aim of the business is to profit by what they offer.

If they allocate a limit of 10 units per customer, and all those units sell out......that business has done what it set out to do: sell the units.

Are you saying that in your business, you assign limits to your customers, so they can only buy so much sheet metal product? So that someone else can buy their "fair share", and you do this because "you care"???

C'mon, that is absurd in the extreme.

Mattel's only mistake here was underestimating the demand, BUT......that ends up being a savvy call in the end anyway.

That's because the demand is there, they can go back at a later date, make more and sell through on the second round. What a concept: having your customers clamouring for your product. Utterly brilliant, I'm surprised no-one has thought of this before. @smilepunch@

If they hear from a couple hundred to a thousand people who say they missed out on these figures, they WILL turn around, at a later date, and make more--I can guarantee you this.

No,

I wouldn't put the blame on the consumer for missing the product. My main goal in buisness is to sell something to make a buck as honestly and as accurately as I can. Mattel has said numerous times at the begining of the MOTUC line that it was, "Our goal to make sure that everyone who wants these figures will have these figures." Hard to believe that is still their goal when when the 2 core characters and 3 key characters are all sold out with only a questionable, "we may bring core characters back in the future." And take into account the means by witch these charcheters sold out; limits of 10 per customer, pulling figures from the site to sell at cons, and making a fan favorite exclusive to a con.

If Mattel would have said from the beginning for example that these figures are limited to 10,000 each so get them while you can instead of "Our goal to make sure that everyone who wants these figures will have these figures." then I would have no issue. The misrepresentation is what I would not do to my customer. It comes down to what is an ample opportunity for a person who wants a figure to have figure is. Hours is not, heck 1 month is not.

Pure and simply put what Mattel should have done from the start (and this would have ended scalping cold) is to put "Available again soon" instead of "Sold Out" when they realized demand was still there after the first run.

Pure and simply put what Mattel should have done from the start (and this would have ended scalping cold) is to put "Available again soon" instead of "Sold Out" when they realized demand was still there after the first run.

And why did they not do that?

Because its not a simple matter of going back to the factory and ordering up about batch of the figures on call.

They have to schedule production based upon all the other products they are contracting for production at those factories. So they CANNOT state they can offer them again, because they simply do not know when they will be able to allocate production time.

Saying the stuff will be "available again soon" is the same as saying " we may bring core characters back in the future" because NEITHER is a definite statement.

If you are booked solid for the next year in making sheet metal items for your customers, and a month down the road a customer comes to you asking for additions to their order.......are you going to be able to fill it? Probably not.

Are you going to tell the customer they will have to wait until you get through the other orders before you can fill their requested additions? Mostly likely. Or do you make your other customers suffer while someone bumps into the queue?

Do you get an inkling now of how Mattel is likely situated in this?

Keep in mind they put this product into the production pipeline and committed to their order numbers based on GUESSES regarding demand. They'd not sold ANY of these figures at that point and had no idea of the real demand.

This is WHY this have to do things the way they are doing them. They want to ensure they sell out, because storing the left-overs means they have to spend more money to warehouse left over stock. Sell-out, even if it disappoints customers is the best all-round outcome in this....because Mattel takes no losses in this. If the customers want this stuff so badly, they'll be back if they do another round, and withholding IF there is going to be another round offered keeps the expectancy high.

That's savvy marketing.....they keep the demand high and the supply low--so there's always a demand.

Toy collectors are notoriously fickle, so the wisest strategy is to play the supply conservative. That is so when the trend turns on that product the company isn't left holding the remainder.

As for the consumers missing out.......tough beans.

The stuff sold out.......so what? The chance was there, and its first come, first served--just like any other form of marketing.

Except in toy collecting, right?

Do people #$#@# about that last can of spaghetti sauce being sold out at the grocery store? Only if they really want spaghetti--otherwise no. But toy collectors ALWAYS #$#@# about this "fairness" in getting stuff--as if there's this obligation to have everyone happy. First come, first served means someone is going to walk away empty handed, and if it happens to you.......c'est la vie.

All the condescending, "I have a 40-hour a week job, therefore I can't sit at my computer every minute of the day waiting for something to come up for sale." posters need to find another excuse. I have a 40+ hour a week job, and guess what came via UPS yesterday? Hint: It rhymes with Taker.

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. I had a 20-minute window between 9am PST and 920am PST to find and access a computer, and I did it. Try harder.

The stuff sold out.......so what? The chance was there, and its first come, first served--just like any other form of marketing.

Do people #$#@# about that last can of spaghetti sauce being sold out at the grocery store? Only if they really want spaghetti--otherwise no. But toy collectors ALWAYS #$#@# about this "fairness" in getting stuff--as if there's this obligation to have everyone happy. First come, first served means someone is going to walk away empty handed, and if it happens to you.......c'est la vie.

I don't want to have a MOTU line with just Mer-man and Stratos........and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want spaghetti without sauce......if all they sold at the grocery store was pasta and no sauce there would be a bunch of people not eating spaghetti. (He-man and Skelly are the sauce, Beast-man is the garlic bread, and Faker and Stratos are the pasta.) @smilepunch@

The same applies here........it seems like all the people with Mattel on this thread has all the figures they wanted, while the others that missed out are the ones that are salty.

Would you feel the same way if you somehow missed out on Faker??

Its funny cause I had a reply a little over a month ago about this happening with Stratos and saying that it could become a monthly thing......and could make collecting this line an expensive mess. (For some of us)

Everyone was like "I doubt Stratos will sell out in 24 hours." granted, he didn't but it didn't mean that others weren't going to.

The same applies here........it seems like all the people with Mattel on this thread has all the figures they wanted, while the others that missed out are the ones that are salty.

No, I would not feel the same way.

I have NONE of these figure, although I did contemplate getting He-man.

I do not feel left out at all.

In fact, there are other toys that I wanted that the window for getting has closed or is closing......but I don't lament it. They will come available again in some form--that's been my experience for years.

My collecting, and more important my enjoyment of collecting, isn't dependant on constantly getting new stuff, its more on enjoying what I already have.

I don't want to have a MOTU line with just Mer-man and Stratos........and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want spaghetti without sauce......if all they sold at the grocery store was pasta and no sauce there would be a bunch of people not eating spaghetti. (He-man and Skelly are the sauce, Beast-man is the garlic bread, and Faker and Stratos are the pasta.) @smilepunch@

Its funny cause I had a reply a little over a month ago about this happening with Stratos and saying that it could become a monthly thing......and could make collecting this line an expensive mess. (For some of us)

Everyone was like "I doubt Stratos will sell out in 24 hours." granted, he didn't but it didn't mean that others weren't going to.

If I want something bad enough, I'll buy it however I can get it. I missed out on Grayskull...did I get mad? Not at all. I waited until my comic shop got him in and paid a good chunk of change for him, but it was worth it because I really wanted the figure.

If people are getting so upset over Faker, I'd believe they would want it bad enough to shell out a few extra bucks on eBay. If they're not willing to do that, it's just sour grapes. Personally, as a MOTU fan since I was about 5 years old, I knew Faker would be popular. Look at the previous version released in the 200x series. That's why I made sure, come Hell or high water, I would be able to order him right when he went on sale. That's the nature of the beast when you're dealing with a line like this. People KNOW when it's going on sale. It's not like stumbling upon a freshly stocked case of something in a store. There's no luck involved, only preparation. I refuse to believe that, in this day and age, most of the people here don't have the internet at their fingertips, be it on an iPhone or whatever. Mostly everyone probably just assumed he'd be available, so they didn't feel a need to rush, and now they're pissed off about it. Hell, I was fixing the 8-mile perimeter fence line at the Johnson Space Center yesterday, and I still made sure I was able to get it right after it went up. Make an effort.

If Mattel would have said from the beginning for example that these figures are limited to 10,000 each so get them while you can instead of "Our goal to make sure that everyone who wants these figures will have these figures." then I would have no issue. The misrepresentation is what I would not do to my customer. It comes down to what is an ample opportunity for a person who wants a figure to have figure is. Hours is not, heck 1 month is not.

Mattel, just like most other large corporations, guard production numbers like the gold in Fort Knox. They're never going to announce how many are being made.

As for the second half of your suggestion, Mattel did say get them while you can. And even if they didn't, they don't need to. Why would people assume there is an endless supply of MOTUC? There have never been any guarantees with any toyline, but here we are with a lot of people thinking there should be with this one.

How many figures would it have taken to ensure every single one lasts at least 1 month? I'm sure Mattel doesn't know either, but what they do know is it's more than is worth the risk. Why manufacture 100,000 figures if you're not sure you can even sell 10,000? They had no idea how well-received this line would be, and now that they see it's popular they're doing what they can by announcing figures will be rereleased. And that's still not good enough for some.

And the scalping stuff is ridiculous. The higher order limits help international buyers save on shipping. Some people I'm sure bought 10 of each to try and sell, but Toyguru has said the number of people buying 10 is relatively small. Most people are buying 1, 2, 3 figures. It's just a lot of different people buying.

This was posted on Matty's Facebook page:

Live from Eternia,

Well, things could not be going better in the MOTU Classics world. I just got off the phone with the Four Horsemen and they are keeping very busy working on accessories for our November release figure as well as starting to sculpt Battle Cat for a 2010 release. And yes, He-Man will of course fit perfectly in the saddle!

Obviously sales are going very well. So good infact that we are greatly increasing production of figures going forward. All of the figures produced so far had gone into production before He-Man even went on sale. So the first figure we were able to adjust quotas on (once we saw the figures were selling out so fast!) has been Mer-Man.

He is set to go on sale April 15th, but because we were late in requesting an increase in production, the entire production run will not be ready on the 15th.

What does that mean? Well likely (based on Faker sales) Mer-Man will sell out on day 1, but we should get our second batch a few days later. We will keep fans linked in as we find out more specifics.

The figures after Mer-Man, Zodac and Hordak will also have an increase in production, but hopefully should all arrive on the same day without a delay. If those also sell out, we will continue to adjust production runs. Ideally we would like the figures to be on sale for about 3-5 weeks so yes, figures are selling faster than anticiapted. But we are all over it and are working hard to get production numbers just right! And we will rerelease all of the sell out figures in time (may not be until 2010/2011) but we wouldn't want anyone's collection to be lacking!

Finally, we will indeed have a SDCC exclusive MOTUC figure which will be revealed in April. This figure will not be one of the "monthly" releases and will be the first "bonus" figure. He or She will also be available (along with the rest of our SDCC items) on MattyCollector.com after the show.

Alright, that's it for now. Please keep the feedback coming and we'll keep working on great new figures for all of our lines!

Best,

Matty

I italicized the part about all sold out figures returning. So there's confirmation that it's going to happen, but it'll take a while.

I DO NOT like the idea of a SDCC exclusive. I know Mattel loves them, but after Keldor, KG, and now Faker, you'd think they'd lay off the idea.

relax people...whether we like it of not We, the Collectors, are at the mercy of these companies. We should play by the rules or we don't play at all.

Like I said Faker figures are starting to flood Ebay....sooner or later I only have to pay probably $5-10 more than the actual figure plus shipping.

We gotta do what we gotta do...

But still Damn you Mattel!!!!! :angry:

No, I would not feel the same way.

I have NONE of these figure, although I did contemplate getting He-man.

I do not feel left out at all.

In fact, there are other toys that I wanted that the window for getting has closed or is closing......but I don't lament it. They will come available again in some form--that's been my experience for years.

My collecting, and more important my enjoyment of collecting, isn't dependant on constantly getting new stuff, its more on enjoying what I already have.

Very good perspective to have regarding this hobby. Nicely put.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE