How could this be, Hasbro?

CLAM

So, with the new Hasbro Q&A, we have learned that the new 7 packs will be released in the same places that the extreme condition 7 packs were, ONLINE ONLY.

So this pissed me off because I don't really buy figures online. You can't pick out nice paint and things like that. I can't even remember the last time I bought a figure online, must have been like 5 years ago. (I have ordered a small few figures from Hasbro.com, but that was only because they were having a sale that beat retail prices. And I eventually exchanged them at retail stores for figures that I found and chose myself).... Hell, I probably won't even order the new sets actually. I wanted the extreme ops 7 packs, but somehow I haven't purchased them, and they have been out for months. Now, I know that if I walked into TRU and saw them on the shelf, I would have picked up 4 sets by now.

Anyhow, this brought some questions, "why aren't these figures being released on single cards?"

Hasbro can't possibly make even close to as much money from these online only 7 packs as they do on single carded figures available at mass retailers.

And that brought me to the horrible revelation that I can't recall a new Joe product at mass retail since the year started. (but then i remembered the new 5-packs)

I might be wrong, but I believe that wave 13 came out in 2008. There won't be another wave of Joe figures until the movie stuff drops in early July?

So that is a 6 month gap in product, with nothing to hold us over at retail except for some 5-packs? oh, and the new Tiger/python jets.

So, if you only shop at retail, then for 6 months, all you get are the 5-packs and some jets. (or am I missing some other stuff??) That certainly seems to me like there would be plenty of room for another couple waves of figures, at least.

during this span, the new awesome 7-packs and the HoH line will be available online only... with so little Joe product being put out in stores, why aren't these items being sold at retail?

Doesn't Hasbro want my money?

So to recap:

"Why aren't the new 7-pack figures being released as single cards?"

"Why aren't the new 7-packs and other items being released at retail?"

"Why is there nothing really coming out for 6 months?"

my only guess is that these questions can all be answered with one simple word: MOVIE

They don't want any new stuff on the shelves for 6 months prior to the movie product being rolled out so that there will be space for movie stuff to go. They don't want a bunch of existing Joe items getting in the way of movie product.

so... is it possible that sooo many fans were correct? the movie is ruining GiJoe, at least their toy collecting experience?

hasbro also said in the Q&A that they don't have any movie comic packs planned right now, but they are considering them for 2010 and 2011.

HOLY CRAP!?!?! the movie stuff is going to go on that long? I might not get any new Joe items next year either?

so I already know that for the entire year of 2009, I get to buy three 5-packs, and maybe a jet or two. (I already got the 5-packs, so just 25 bucks left to spend for the Tiger rat).

100 bucks. 100 bucks? Hell, I spend over 100 bucks everytime a new wave comes out (buying at least 2 of each), now I will spend 100 bucks for the entire year?

Doesn't Hasbro want my money?

O sure they want your money, but they also want you to get the movie stuff as well

I'm not entirely sure why they want to just do online rather then mass market for the packs, or not even in single packs but I imagine its because they want current product stock in stores to sell down so when the movie stuff comes out they can get large amounts of it into the stores, just my thought on it at least.

Why are they online only?

Simple answer: not enough major brick & mortar retailers want them, or in large enough orders. The major retailers are probably too heavily invested in the movie product at this time. At least they are being made available in some form.

Add to that the fact that since nothing new has been put out, stores are forced to carry stock like these 'filler' waves I constantly see, meaning we already have our fill of them, so no one's buying. So the stores see these things sitting forEVER and decide not to place their order to make up the 'minimum production' quota thing. And then there's the economy, but that's a moot issue.

Only thing I think they'd be saving on would be packaging material. Instead of 7 separate cards, maybe it's cheaper to just throw them in one box? (I saw the Tiger Force jet yesterday, and they really cheapened the box, which made me think of this)

heres hoping they cheap out one MORE packaging... i get the distinct feeling that they would save quite a significant amount of monies if they packed single cards the way they used to, without the plastic tray. that more than halves the plastic consumption, plus wasted tooling fer each new figure.

Add to that the fact that since nothing new has been put out, stores are forced to carry stock like these 'filler' waves I constantly see, meaning we already have our fill of them, so no one's buying. So the stores see these things sitting forEVER and decide not to place their order to make up the 'minimum production' quota thing. And then there's the economy, but that's a moot issue.

Only thing I think they'd be saving on would be packaging material. Instead of 7 separate cards, maybe it's cheaper to just throw them in one box? (I saw the Tiger Force jet yesterday, and they really cheapened the box, which made me think of this)

really, I liked the new boxes MUCH better. They look just like RAH stuff used to

my only guess is that these questions can all be answered with one simple word: MOVIE

Pretty much. Movie time for any franchise means that it's time to do one thing...push movie product. Like it or not.

Also, I think we all better be prepared for a year (if not more) of MOSTLY, if not all, movie toys on the shelves at retail. Again, like it or not. The most we can hope for, I think, would be for Hasbro to throw us a bone every so often of something NON movie.

As for not buying online...in a perfect world I'd like to drive to a Target or TRU and get EVERYTHING I want as well. But sometimes that's just not possible. These look to be some great figures. Just break down and get these sets online and when they finally arive you'll be happy.

As for going so long without buying GI Joe stuff...I'm willing to bet that a lot of people, not just you, WILL be buying SOMETHING movie toy related no matter what they say now 6 months before the movie even comes out. I'd bet on it.

Pretty much. Movie time for any franchise means that it's time to do one thing...push movie product. Like it or not.

Also, I think we all better be prepared for a year (if not more) of MOSTLY, if not all, movie toys on the shelves at retail. Again, like it or not. The most we can hope for, I think, would be for Hasbro to throw us a bone every so often of something NON movie.

As for not buying online...in a perfect world I'd like to drive to a Target or TRU and get EVERYTHING I want as well. But sometimes that's just not possible. These look to be some great figures. Just break down and get these sets online and when they finally arive you'll be happy.

As for going so long without buying GI Joe stuff...I'm willing to bet that a lot of people, not just you, WILL be buying SOMETHING movie toy related no matter what they say now 6 months before the movie even comes out. I'd bet on it.

Well, the question is, why is one "better" than the other? And, no, I'm not saying one is.

I'm just curious about it. If you could get all your "collecting needs" met online for a reasonable price, why wouldn't you?

There IS the appeal of going into a toy section and seeing your collectable hanging on the pegs. I hadn't seen anything new for quite some time so when I saw Waspinator on the peg, I got giddy with excitement (ok, maybe that's a little creepy). There is far little better than seeing something in hand to help make the decision to buy it or not. Ripper and Torch, for example. I thought about getting them. But when I saw them in person, I changed my mind (mostly because I didn't like the Cobra tattooes).

For me, though, its more of a practical thing. It is, generally, cheaper to buy from a b&m. The main reason though is quality of the product I am purchasing. As I mention previously, being able to look at the item in hand is a fair thing to do when the quality is a little light. I mentioned in another thread about how bad the paint apps were on the 2 environmental sets I found at Hastings. Army builders aren't quite so bad given that I will get several, but singles can mean looking at EVERY one on the peg to find the one that looks the best. If there are a dozen Mutts on the pegs, I will look at ALL of them to find the one I will buy.

If I didn't have to do that, I'd probably buy online a lot more than I do.

Well, the question is, why is one "better" than the other? And, no, I'm not saying one is.

I'm just curious about it. If you could get all your "collecting needs" met online for a reasonable price, why wouldn't you?

There IS the appeal of going into a toy section and seeing your collectable hanging on the pegs. I hadn't seen anything new for quite some time so when I saw Waspinator on the peg, I got giddy with excitement (ok, maybe that's a little creepy). There is far little better than seeing something in hand to help make the decision to buy it or not. Ripper and Torch, for example. I thought about getting them. But when I saw them in person, I changed my mind (mostly because I didn't like the Cobra tattooes).

For me, though, its more of a practical thing. It is, generally, cheaper to buy from a b&m. The main reason though is quality of the product I am purchasing. As I mention previously, being able to look at the item in hand is a fair thing to do when the quality is a little light. I mentioned in another thread about how bad the paint apps were on the 2 environmental sets I found at Hastings. Army builders aren't quite so bad given that I will get several, but singles can mean looking at EVERY one on the peg to find the one that looks the best. If there are a dozen Mutts on the pegs, I will look at ALL of them to find the one I will buy.

If I didn't have to do that, I'd probably buy online a lot more than I do.

exactly. If these figures were guaranteed to arrive perfect, I wouldn't have a problem with it so much.

But when I find a new wave of figures, I look at every single one to pick out the best samples of each figure. Heck, often (very often), I will find an even better figure than one that I have previously purchased, I will buy the better one and return the other.

I don't think that's gonna fly with online shops.. maybe I will order 10 of each, look at them all, pick my favorites, and then return the extra 9 sets.

mmm... nah

Do you have a Comic book store near by ? perhaps they will be avalible in previews .

of course... but I fail to see how that option is much better than ordering online.. I would still have to request my shop order them, or order them myself from Diamond... I still wouldn't get to pick them out.

comic stores here don't sell GiJoe anymore since it became so overshipped.

So to recap:

"Why aren't the new 7-pack figures being released as single cards?"

"Why aren't the new 7-packs and other items being released at retail?"

"Why is there nothing really coming out for 6 months?"

You pretty much answered your own questions, but I'll recap:

"Because not enough retailers ordered them, and between themselves, the retailers and Hasbro decided to let the remainder of the 25A product "clear out" before the movie hits.

"See Above."

"Supposedly some retailers might get the Wave 5 vehicles on-shelves before the movie. Maybe. But that's the only "new" product between now and then that's been officially confirmed."

Heck, I thought the MARS 3-pack was going to be at brick and mortar, but as it turns out that's an online exclusive, too.....

My only hope is that the retailers have a big backstock of Wave 12 (for the Cobra Troopers) and 13 (For the Cobra Troopers) and maybe 11 (For the EEls), DVD Packs (For #5) and maybe even some vehicles (Have yet to see a FANG/CLAW pack in the wild) that they'll get out on shelves before July.

Here is the simple answer. A retailer has limited amount of shelf space so they have to pick what they think will sell more. Now why pick a movie line over a non movie line? Simple in the eye of a retailer a movie line has built in advertising and promotion going for it, therefore more people will be aware of them and therfore the logic is they will sell better. I suppose something can be said that at least Hasbro has made some attempt to get these out at all for collectors.

Hot Topic, FYE, Spencers, Suncoast.. those are all stores that will get these, or should get these... if anything badger them and call them or talk to the manager and see if they'll order a case of them... Some will even call you when they get them in stock, and you can go in and pick out your figs... I know it's not perfect, but at seven figs per pack, I doubt there'll really be the perfect pack anyway.

Here is the simple answer. A retailer has limited amount of shelf space so they have to pick what they think will sell more. Now why pick a movie line over a non movie line? Simple in the eye of a retailer a movie line has built in advertising and promotion going for it, therefore more people will be aware of them and therfore the logic is they will sell better. I suppose something can be said that at least Hasbro has made some attempt to get these out at all for collectors.

true enough... but you are missing the point entirely. retailers are currently receiving PLENTY of wave 13 and revision cases. They are still ordering and receiving Joe single cases, and they will have the pegs up for them until July.

Now, I am just using common sense here... but wouldn't retailers rather put wave 14 and 15 on those pegs instead of wave 13 and revisions?

they have not stopped ordering 25th product because they want to order movie product, as you make it seem... but they are not being offered NEW product by Hasbro.

But as noted, the retailers very well may have enough "backstock" of Joe material in their distribution centers that they don't want to risk it piling up further with new waves before the movie product hits. A lot of those waves last year hit in such rapid succession that I'm betting they got "logjammed." So over the next couple months we'll see lots more of Wave 11, 12, and 13 as well as the vehicles and DVD packs (for those places still carrying them).

Plus, it's really only TRU and (to a lesser extent) Target that's keeping decent amounts of shelf-space for G.I. Joe right now. Wal-Mart seems to be shrinking it down, likely to make room for Marvel Universe, Wolverine Origins, Terminator Salvation, and Star Trek toys that'll be hitting in early summer/late spring (or are hitting already).

its weird though. the mass device packs there were 5 right? The first two came out in TONS. The where EVERYWHERE.

So what happened? BECUASE they were everywhere, those that wanted one got one....and there were still tons on the shelf. Because the first two were everywhere, the last 3 barely got out at all.

I don't know if its because they overordered the first two seats and "thought they didn't sell" so didn't bother to get the others or if it was they didn't wnat to put "new"product out because the old stuff was still on the shelf unmoving.

Whichever it is, it just means that, when I go to Walmart, Target, TRU or, well, anywhere, I don't see anything new because either the same crap is on the shelf collecting dust, OR they are putting or "revisions and fillers".

true enough... but you are missing the point entirely. retailers are currently receiving PLENTY of wave 13 and revision cases. They are still ordering and receiving Joe single cases, and they will have the pegs up for them until July.

Now, I am just using common sense here... but wouldn't retailers rather put wave 14 and 15 on those pegs instead of wave 13 and revisions?

they have not stopped ordering 25th product because they want to order movie product, as you make it seem... but they are not being offered NEW product by Hasbro.

I think Jmacq1 has your answer, what your seeing hitting shelves now is backstock thats been sitting in warehouses that the retailers are trying to clear out before the movie stuff comes.

Yeah, from what I've heard about a lot of the major retailers' distribution centers, it's not operated on a "first in, first out" basis. It's more like a "whatever's closer to the door/whatever's easier to grab" basis. So when a lot of waves come out very close together, the older waves can actually get "backed up" in the warehouse. Particularly with Revision cases popping up on top of all that.

that would make sense.. However, most of the stores I am seeing wave 13 and revisions pop up at haven't had any joes since xmas.

so they have been needing restocking for months, and are just now getting these cases.. making me believe that these cases haven't been sitting in the warehouses, or else they would have been shipped to the empty pegs.

also, this new revision case is NEW.. meaning if you go to BBTS or EE, or any other online retailer that you can order cases from.. they haven't had these just laying around for months... it's new stuff, not old stock

during this span, the new awesome 7-packs and the HoH line will be available online only...

Crap, I missed this info the HOH line is online only? I did not order a set from HTS because of paint apps issues. I was going to wait until they hit retail and pick and choose which ones to get. Are you sure about this? And if so any body know a good place to get a order in on single packs I don't want all of them but HTS is already sold out of Storm Shadow and the BAT

Andy

during this span, the new awesome 7-packs and the HoH line will be available online only...

Crap, I missed this info the HOH line is online only? I did not order a set from HTS because of paint apps issues. I was going to wait until they hit retail and pick and choose which ones to get. Are you sure about this? And if so any body know a good place to get a order in on single packs I don't want all of them but HTS is already sold out of Storm Shadow and the BAT

Andy

Well the HoH isn't available until April anyway.