Question on the DCH figures

JeffreyA

I have a question the old DC Super Hero series that was out before DCUC is that part of this DCU series or a different series all together. Why I'm asking that is Darksied, Lex Luthor and the robot verison of Brainic count as the DCU figures? I hope you people understand what I'm trying to ask.

In my opinion, the 2003-2005 Batman line was a test to see if Mattel could sell a superhero line. It seemed like a sucess, even if it had MOTU syndrome. Too many Batmans, not enough villians or support characters in the stores. They only made:

Batman

Robin

Nightwing

Superman

Joker

Mr. Freeze

Killer Croc

THen Dc Superheroes were only permitted to use Batman & Superman characters, so they made:

Batman

Robin

Nightwing

Azrael

Batgirl

Superman

Supergirl

Bane

Bizarro

Brainiac

Catwoman

Clark Kent

Clayface

Cyborg Superman

Darkseid

Doomsday

Joker

Killer Croc

Lex Luthor

Mr. Freeze

Mongul

Parasite

Scarecrow

Steel

Two-Face

Some of which were repacks from Batman, some were repaints. Every time articulation and distribution improved.

To answer your question: No they are not a part of the DC Universe toyline, but fit rather well.

Thx for your answers. At first I though they where from the same series but then I just remember that in series 3 of DCU they made Nightwing as well in the DCH series. I hope Mattel dose do the Lex Luthor and Brainic from the DCH series. I really want them as well as Darksied,Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow.

At first I though they where from the same series but then I just remember that in series 3 of DCU they made Nightwing as well in the DCH series. I hope Mattel dose do the Lex Luthor and Brainic from the DCH series. I really want them as well as Darksied,Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow.

They probably won't "do" Lex, Brainiac, Mr. Freeze or Scarecrow... if "do" means making a brand new figure. There is always the possibility of them being rereleased, but the quality of those figures is up to DCUC standards... there's no reason to redo them.

Nightwing was released in the Mattel Batman line, but he and Robin were *NOT* 4 Horsemen sculpts. They were made by Mattel's in-house staff for a couple of cheap 2-packs. Because Nightwing was poorly sculpted and articulated compared to the DCUC standards, Mattel bowed to fan demands, and gave him a proper new sculpt in Wave 3. They skirted around repeating Robin by doing his recent outfit instead of the original Tim Drake design, but I imagine he'll come in time as well.

At first I though they where from the same series but then I just remember that in series 3 of DCU they made Nightwing as well in the DCH series. I hope Mattel dose do the Lex Luthor and Brainic from the DCH series. I really want them as well as Darksied,Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow.

They probably won't "do" Lex, Brainiac, Mr. Freeze or Scarecrow... if "do" means making a brand new figure. There is always the possibility of them being rereleased, but the quality of those figures is up to DCUC standards... there's no reason to redo them.

Nightwing was released in the Mattel Batman line, but he and Robin were *NOT* 4 Horsemen sculpts. They were made by Mattel's in-house staff for a couple of cheap 2-packs. Because Nightwing was poorly sculpted and articulated compared to the DCUC standards, Mattel bowed to fan demands, and gave him a proper new sculpt in Wave 3. They skirted around repeating Robin by doing his recent outfit instead of the original Tim Drake design, but I imagine he'll come in time as well.

That whole last batman wave from DCSH was alot of repaints nightwing, joker, bruce to batman, bane. But i wouldn't say they were bad sculpts persay but the articulation was poor.

I agree, even the Superman was un-inspiring.

Mr. Freeze and the classic Robin need to be updated in articulation, but I still use them. Forgive the out of date pics:

JLA092008.jpg

LOD092008.jpg

Unless the card says DC Universe Classics then they AREN'T DC Universe Classics.

Few will admit this but anyone who is including that lousy Scarecrow, that puny Darkseid, those statues called Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze to their DCUC collections are doing so while holding their nose. You can't deny that DC Superheroes and DCUC are two separate and distinct collections separated by a unbridgeable gulf of quality. To see this, one only has to compare the pale, lifeless Mongul with what the Four Horsemen have done since with characters like Grundy and Despero. Do you think Despero would've looked like the grand slam that he is were he released under the mediocre DCSH banner? You'd be a fool to believe this! Mattel knows this as well which is why we've seen apology figures of Nightwing, Robin, Batman and now Superman and the Joker.

Every DCSH character needs a rerelease as a TRUE DCUC figure!

Unless the card says DC Universe Classics then they AREN'T DC Universe Classics.

Few will admit this but anyone who is including that lousy Scarecrow, that puny Darkseid, those statues called Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze to their DCUC collections are doing so while holding their nose. You can't deny that DC Superheroes and DCUC are two separate and distinct collections separated by a unbridgeable gulf of quality. To see this, one only has to compare the pale, lifeless Mongul with what the Four Horsemen have done since with characters like Grundy and Despero. Do you think Despero would've looked like the grand slam that he is were he released under the mediocre DCSH banner? You'd be a fool to believe this! Mattel knows this as well which is why we've seen apology figures of Nightwing, Robin, Batman and now Superman and the Joker.

I disagree.

The "modern" Robin is a sad "apology" toward The DCSH one, even if it is a repack of the Batman one.

My DCSH Superman is still more awe-inspiring, than that Wave 6 imposter from the '90s.

I really like Scarecrow, Bizarro, Catwoman, Brainiac, And Clayface, as well.

I think Grundy still needs help, because he is too large in every way. I use him because the DC Direct one is too much of a statue.

I will agree that the DCSH Killer Croc sucks, which is why I use the Batman one.

I will agree that the DCSH Nightwing sucks.

I will agree Mr. Freeze needs help, as I previosly stated.

It sucks, but Mongul counts. He was resold under the DCUC banner with Cyborg Superman.

A little rabid over your DC figs aren't we?

I consider ALL DCSH, and DCUC figs the same, a la marvel legends. Some waves were better than others with better joints and articulation, because the designers were trying to make them better. Same with Mattel DC. They evolved to become better so collectors would keep buying them. I agree some could be improved, until then though, they are what they are. DC figures!

Few will admit this but anyone who is including that lousy Scarecrow, that puny Darkseid, those statues called Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze to their DCUC collections are doing so while holding their nose.

Its always amusing when someone tells me what my personal tastes are--as if there's a hope in Hell, that I'd subscribe to them just cuz they told me to....

No, I do not hold my nose at those figures, I welcome them into my collection because they fit very well for the most part.

Their scale and details are excellent, and the articulation is fine for the most part.

So could I add Lex,Brainiac,Darkseid to the DCU series or not. I have seen two of the three before and I was stuipe not to get them when they where out before. So any help would be great.

So could I add Lex,Brainiac,Darkseid to the DCU series or not. I have seen two of the three before and I was stuipe not to get them when they where out before. So any help would be great.

You can 'add' whatever you want to the DCU series, they're your toys. I personally display my DCUC, DCSH and DCD stuff together.

DCSH and DCUC are the same thing. More to the point with out DCSH there would be no DCUC. Yes a few figures from the DCSH line were not as great as others most of them being inthe last line which they just put togethher to get it out on market. But there all almost the same size and sclupt.

This argument is kinda silly because one as i pointed out there almost the same sclupt and size and two is what really would it matter if you put darkside next to kilibak the world will not end the ripple of time will not tear. just love you figures and be thankfull you even have them. You could be liveing in a tent in a park somewhere with nothing.

I believe they are the same series but with a different name. There has been other toylines before that have different names but belong to the same series. Toybiz is notorious for doing that.

If they are not the same series, why Mattel are repacking old figures from the DCSH line with DCUC?

The exclusive Batman and Clayface is an indication that the series are connected

Mattel just used a differ name to promote the many characters they can now make. I mean, the Justice League toyline had more than one name and yet ppl treat them as the same

Why not DC superheroes and DC universe?

BTW, let's not forget that several dcsh figures were repackage with the dc universe brand as two packs. Nuff said

Thx for your answers. At first I though they where from the same series but then I just remember that in series 3 of DCU they made Nightwing as well in the DCH series. I hope Mattel dose do the Lex Luthor and Brainic from the DCH series. I really want them as well as Darksied,Mr. Freeze and Scarecrow.

The reason why some of the DCSH chars were remade because they were not sculpted by the four horsemen. I mean, a better theory is that they were repaints from the batman series, whereas the figures didn't fit with the DCSH and DCUC line too well in regards to articluation. AS mentioned before, Nightwing and Robin were not horsemen sculpts whereas the Joker did not fit with the DCUC series. That is why they get remakes

MAttel may repackage Lex since he was planned as a two pack with Kara el for an online sales.

Why are ppl mentioning MR freeze requiring a remake? Mattel already retooled the fig for the DCSH line, hence him being a perfect fit for the DCUC line.

DCSH freeze is a unique toy because unlike nightwing and robin, Freeze isn't a repaint. He is actually a retooled toy that has the same

artculation as the newer dc figures; Mr Freeze uses the old DCSH upperchest, head and bubble with lex's upper arms, lower torso and legs.

I think ppl skipped freeze in believin it was the same figure from the batman series, which is why some ppl here mistakenly calls the fig a statue. Here is a pic of the dcsh freeze's articluation pic is from cooltoyreviews

DCSH-03-MF-A-01.jpg

UPDATE: The image forgots to list the swivel upper legs.

Er Batman from the DSCH is superior to the ver that was made for the DCUC line

So yeah, the mediocre DCSH series isn't as mediocre as you believe it is.

Why are ppl mentioning MR freeze requiring a remake? Mattel already retooled the fig for the DCSH line, hence him being a perfect fit for the DCUC line.

DCSH freeze is a unique toy because unlike nightwing and robin, Freeze isn't a repaint. He is actually a retooled toy that has the same

artculation as the newer dc figures; Mr Freeze uses the old DCSH upperchest, head and bubble with lex's upper arms, lower torso and legs.

I think ppl skipped freeze in believin it was the same figure from the batman series, which is why some ppl here mistakenly calls the fig a statue. Here is a pic of the dcsh freeze's articluation pic is from cooltoyreviews

DCSH-03-MF-A-01.jpg

UPDATE: The image forgots to list the swivel upper legs.

I personally don't like that figure because his abdomen armor, mid-arms, and fingers are the same color as his flesh. I thought the suit was for containment, so he didn't die?

If they are not the same series, why Mattel are repacking old figures from the DCSH line with DCUC?

People keep pointing this out as some sort of desperate "AHA! I gotcha!" piece of evidence that finally links the sad DCSH line with the far superior DCUC. Well, it doesn't.

In spite of their wonderful collector-minded character selection and stunningly detailed sculpts in their DCUC line, the line is still the product of the chintzy, penny counting Mattel. Mattel has these sculpts lying around for Lex Luthor and Clayface and while both are sub-par toys, they have a sufficient degree of quality that makes them passable to the completist collector desperate to add these characters to their DC shelves. Mattel doesn't want to spring for new sculpts ...although in Lex's case, they probably will at some point down the line... and this is why we have these misfits being trotted out periodically. Mark my words! We probably haven't seen the last of that puny, spindly Brainiac!

People are willing to open the door for DCSH simply because they're desperate to add some of these characters to their DCUC collections. Everyone wants a Croc, a Mr. Freeze, a Bane and so forth so they put on their blinders and close their eyes to the disgustingly naked inferiority of these pieces of garbage and ridiculously place them on a shelf alongside their DCUC Hawkmen and Areses. How can anyone look at Killer Croc next to Ares and believe they are the same line? These must be the same blind fools who co-mingle their DCUC figures with their DC Direct collections. When I see this, I just want to take a bat to those shelves!

Here is the obvious distinction between DCSH and DCUC. Like it or not, DCSH was INTENDED FOR CHILDREN. Yeah. The sculpts ...at the time...were tolerable enough to catch the eye of the serious collector like myself. After all, it's all we had at the time save for DC Direct ...and I for one refuse to get into bed with those abusive parasites! That was a good five years ago though which is equal to a generation when it comes to action figure manufacturing. Now the DCSH Bizarro and Cyborg Superman no longer look like the evil counterparts of Superman and DCUC knows it. The DCSH Superman is puny, ugly and completely under-whelming among the DCUC JLA. He looks like their weakest member! Why reduce the fantastic DCUC JLA to the level of the Happy Meal-ish DCSH? When I see this, I want to slap someone!

These are two separate lines. People don't want to admit this because it will mean that they will have to gut their collections and remove certain key characters from their DC shelves. I can sympathize. I want a Bizarro, a Brainiac, and a Mongul too. I just want REAL DCUC figures of these characters.

If anyone still stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the difference in these two separate and distinct lines, all they have to do is ask themselves if they would chuck their Killer Crocs and their Two-Faces if DCUC offered another one? Everyone knows damn well in their hearts of hearts that they would do so in a cold second! To say otherwise is to lie!

People keep pointing this out as some sort of desperate "AHA! I gotcha!" piece of evidence that finally links the sad DCSH line with the far superior DCUC. Well, it doesn't.

In spite of their wonderful collector-minded character selection and stunningly detailed sculpts in their DCUC line, the line is still the product of the chintzy, penny counting Mattel. Mattel has these sculpts lying around for Lex Luthor and Clayface and while both are sub-par toys, they have a sufficient degree of quality that makes them passable to the completist collector desperate to add these characters to their DC shelves. Mattel doesn't want to spring for new sculpts ...although in Lex's case, they probably will at some point down the line... and this is why we have these misfits being trotted out periodically. Mark my words! We probably haven't seen the last of that puny, spindly Brainiac!

Um, they were planning to reissue Lex in from the DCSH line.

Here is the obvious distinction between DCSH and DCUC. Like it or not, DCSH was INTENDED FOR CHILDREN. Yeah. The sculpts ...at the time...were tolerable enough to catch the eye of the serious collector like myself. After all, it's all we had at the time save for DC Direct ...and I for one refuse to get into bed with those abusive parasites! That was a good five years ago though which is equal to a generation when it comes to action figure manufacturing. Now the DCSH Bizarro and Cyborg Superman no longer look like the evil counterparts of Superman and DCUC knows it. The DCSH Superman is puny, ugly and completely under-whelming among the DCUC JLA. He looks like their weakest member! Why reduce the fantastic DCUC JLA to the level of the Happy Meal-ish DCSH? When I see this, I want to slap someone!

Wait, what? Obviously, you have forgotten that the DCSH was originally intended for ADULTS because that was one of the selling points Mattel used at the time. The previous Batman line was AIMED FOR CHILDREN, hence the mutlicolour batmans with the different accessories.

I think you are seein DCUC through rose coloured glasses. There was a problem with DCSH Superman, but it wasn't because it was intended for "children" as you put it, but it was the first Superman the 4hm did. Calling DCSH happy mealish seems a bit bias especially one can say that anything else, say the pre ML wave 4 figures to the later TB figures. I also find it hard to believe that Bizarro wasn't made to look evil especially how he is depicted more of a goofy-looking character. Have you seen the latest protrayal of Bizarro, whom is drawn looking like a juiced up Joey from Friends?

If Mattel does redo Bizarro, it would most likely be the more cheesy looking precrisis cube version with the standard bulk body. However, I would guess you would think that version is more superior than the DCSH just because it was made for the DCUC series. As for Mongul, he would look the same if 4hm redid him for the DCUC series. His headsculpt looks as "evil" az Kalibak. Heck, people initially believed that The Demon, Etrigan's head was a retooled

I fail to see any actual proof that the DCSH series is not the same other DCUC. Instead, I am just reading some bias rant from a collector who can't get the notion that the two lines are similar.

It is obvious that DCUC Superman would be better than DCSH Superman since the

If anyone still stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the difference in these two separate and distinct lines, all they have to do is ask themselves if they would chuck their Killer Crocs and their Two-Faces if DCUC offered another one? Everyone knows damn well in their hearts of hearts that they would do so in a cold second! To say otherwise is to lie!

The very same can be said to people who stubbornly refuses to recognize that the DCSH and DCUC are the same line. Just that you don't like DCSH, doesn't mean that it is not the same series as DCUC. Hell, you mention Two Face, yet overlooked Riddler, who happens to share the same body as Two Face. So if you are going to chuck Two face, might as well chuck Riddler too.

People are willing to open the door for DCSH simply because they're desperate to add some of these characters to their DCUC collections. Everyone wants a Croc, a Mr. Freeze, a Bane and so forth so they put on their blinders and close their eyes to the disgustingly naked inferiority of these pieces of garbage and ridiculously place them on a shelf alongside their DCUC Hawkmen and Areses. How can anyone look at Killer Croc next to Ares and believe they are the same line? These must be the same blind fools who co-mingle their DCUC figures with their DC Direct collections. When I see this, I just want to take a bat to those shelves!

These are two separate lines. People don't want to admit this because it will mean that they will have to gut their collections and remove certain key characters from their DC shelves. I can sympathize. I want a Bizarro, a Brainiac, and a Mongul too. I just want REAL DCUC figures of these characters.

How are they different? You haven't give any actual proof. Besides, we ARE getting a Brainiac, but the pre crisis ver with another Supes fig.

I begin to believe you are confusing DSCH with Batman, which are different toylines based on toy style. Croc, Freeze, Scarecrow, and Bane are ALL Batman toys. That's right, batman. Not, DCSH, but BATMAN!! I understand Killer Croc has gotten a new head for the DCSH line, but the body itself is out of scale from any DCSH and DCUC product just beThat is why most of them looks odd when being placed next to DCSH and DCUC figures. If you believe DCUC isn't the same series as DCSH because of the stuff you stated, surely you also have to acknowledge that DCSH and Batman are different toylines.

At the end of the days, these things nothing but toys. I don't see why you get so worked up over these in thinking that the dc universe c and the dcsh lines are separate

The parts from DCSH Barbara Gordon Batgirl and Supergirl have found their way onto every female figure so far, except Big Barda. Clark Kent, Two Face, and Riddler, same body, different head. OK, Killer Cros and Bane lack some of the DCUC Articulation, but the other DCSH figures stand beside DCUC pretty well. It's called growing pains that every toyline has to go through. Imagine if we had the internet when the Fathead Han Solo came out back in the '70's. The first wave of vintage Star Wars figures were inferior to the figures released for Return of the Jedi, but they were still the same toyline. So I would say that DCUC is the natural evolution of DCSH.