Please explain why some people don't buy 25th

Hammerfel

I was buying these figs like crazy. I remember when they first came out I bought almost 20 cobra officers just to have my little army going. It just got to the point where they started coming out every week with something new. I had pre ordered every single set on BBTS and they all decided to become available at the same time. One month I think with the vehicles, the cases, & the con exclusives I spent about $600. Thats when I stopped buying them in bulk. I still buy a stray one here and there but I quit getting them on a major scale.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having out the peanut butter and the chocolate away, I'll relate why I prefer the 25th line over the original RAH figures.

-25th line have better, more heroic proportions to my eye.

--RAH figure all look like stunted Down-Syndrome patients.

-25th line figures have much more molded detail, and specifically anatomical detail.

-- Most RAH figures don't even have EARS! They have these little numbs or stumps on the sides of their heads.

-I can pose a 25th figure a lot better, for example: they can kneel realistically.

RAH figures cannot kneel realistically........they can sorta bend down or semi-squat.

-Every 25th figure can turn their wrists or forearms, and ankles to enhance the poses.

RAH figures can't.

-25th line gave us figures with holsters

RAH gave us broken thumbs.

-25th line gave us some weapons that actually do something, like Gung-Ho's grenade launcher, or Spirit's dart rifle.

RAH gave us more and different weapons, but that is all. They don't "do anything"--they are just solid lumps.

So, yea, my preference is for the 25th line over the RAH stuff. They are more intricate, pose-able, and detailed.

I agree with much of that, at least as far as the 25th have some features that are a big plus over the RAH counterparts, like the detailing, the wrist articulation, the knee's and the ankles ALL added a nice new feature that would have been equally awesome on the RAH figures.

Aside from those positives though, the overall design of the RAH figures were, far and above, BETTER than the 25th design, with it's bobble heads, titty twister mid-torso design, and the horrible forearm joints that can ruin an otherwise decent looking figure. RAH was truly a childs toy and that's the charm of them over these modified and over crafted collector pieces. A child would have required a screwdriver to dis-assemble a RAH figure, whereas they merely pull a few joints hard enough and pop a few heads and holsters, and the figure (toy) is ruined and destroyed long before TIME can rot an O-ring or weaken a thumb into breaking. A 25th soldier left on the battlefield, in mid-summer can be a pile of melted plastic by next days return, as opposed to maybe a slight discoloration of an old soldier from the RAH era.

RAH could have continued as it was, with some of these new points of articulation, and added detail, but I'm still not 100% sold on the 25th line as the ultimate replacement over them. I've recently been occupying some free time, with consoledating my entire collection, re-boxing certain items for storage and getting out old forgotten bits here and there Customs I was working on) and it's renewed my ethusiasm for the old buggers, like I just haven't been feeling with the 25th line. While my RAH collection were out of sight, out of mind and unavailable for in hand comparisons to the 25th stuff I have...I was almost won over by the 25th line, but with that comparison, they lost.

I'm with VH on this one. Consider the context in which the RAH figures were sold to the public. They were far and away the best designed figures of their time, whereas the new 25th figures are pretty much on par with everything else. They don't really stand out any better than the best SW figures or the new Marvel stuff, or the new MOTU line by Mattel.

What bothers me most is the constant reuse of parts. Yes, I know several RAH figures did that too, but certainly nowhere near the extent that the 25th line does it. And yes, I understand that it helps keep costs down. That being said, I just don't get the feeling that as much effort goes into the 25th line as did the original RAH line.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 25th line, and I certainly cannot deny that the sculpting is superior (as well as the articulation, usually). I have tons of them already, but they certainly won't "replace" my originals and I'm tending to stay away from the more obvious Frankenjoes more and more...

What bothers me most is the constant reuse of parts. Yes, I know several RAH figures did that too, but certainly nowhere near the extent that the 25th line does it. And yes, I understand that it helps keep costs down. That being said, I just don't get the feeling that as much effort goes into the 25th line as did the original RAH line.

I don't get these two statements here: on one hand its acknowledged that re-used parts keeps costs down, and on the other, there's a feeling that there's not much effort put into the toys.

Doesn't constant re-use preclude that more "effort" will cost more????

From , my POV.....I see the improvements to to figure as being a sign of genuine effort being made.

Like the items I mentioned above: Figures can kneel......weapons have functions, some parts are removable now ( Beachhead's crossbow etc)

Figure's like the V.3 Snake-eyes blow the original so far out of the water its not funny. The 25th design of this figure is now, for almost all intents, complete.

IMO, that says some serious effort went into these figures.

Could there be more?

Oh, you bet! These figures are NOT perfect, but they are damn good. I'm enjoying each 25th figure i have much more than I ever did their RAH counterparts.

But like peanut butter and chocolate........its a matter of personal taste. :P

I'm going with the simplest explanation - if someone's an avid fan of G I Joe, they probably have a ton of merch from the RAH days. If it were me, I'd be real hedgy about 'starting over' and spending money on figures I (in essence) already own. Especially if my RAH collection were to be fairly sizeable.

I don't get these two statements here: on one hand its acknowledged that re-used parts keeps costs down, and on the other, there's a feeling that there's not much effort put into the toys.

Doesn't constant re-use preclude that more "effort" will cost more????

For all the re-use of parts they're doing....I don't see much of a reduction in cost though, unless somebody wants to claim these things could easily cost $10-$12 per figure if not for the so-called cost saving efforts they've implemented? For the scale...I don't find $8 to be all that cheap, especially when it's obvious that parts are NOT being made specifically for each new figure.

Having out the peanut butter and the chocolate away, I'll relate why I prefer the 25th line over the original RAH figures.

-25th line have better, more heroic proportions to my eye.

--RAH figure all look like stunted Down-Syndrome patients.

-25th line figures have much more molded detail, and specifically anatomical detail.

-- Most RAH figures don't even have EARS! They have these little numbs or stumps on the sides of their heads.

-I can pose a 25th figure a lot better, for example: they can kneel realistically.

RAH figures cannot kneel realistically........they can sorta bend down or semi-squat.

-Every 25th figure can turn their wrists or forearms, and ankles to enhance the poses.

RAH figures can't.

-25th line gave us figures with holsters

RAH gave us broken thumbs.

-25th line gave us some weapons that actually do something, like Gung-Ho's grenade launcher, or Spirit's dart rifle.

RAH gave us more and different weapons, but that is all. They don't "do anything"--they are just solid lumps.

So, yea, my preference is for the 25th line over the RAH stuff. They are more intricate, pose-able, and detailed. However, I'm NOT going to collect as many as I did with the RAH stuff ( of which I have no figures left anymore) simply because I'm just not as interest in starting another new toy-line all over again. I'll pick and chose as I go--in a very selective manner ( for example: no Dreadnoks this time)

The one aspect of RAH I DO prefer over the 25th line are the vehicles--with some exceptions. The re-done versions in the 25th Line are, as hoped, proving to be superior to the originals in most ways.

All they have to do is move onto some of the large more impressive vehicles to totally win me over.

I want to say, first I"m NOT trying to argue with youith you. This is just counterpoint.

There was one figure that, for some weird reason, didn't get they "swivel wrist". That was Lady Jaye. Luckily the fixed her for a MUCH better figure over the original.

Another is that they couldn't maintain consistency with articulation. RAH figures may "all be the same" but they WERE consistent, up until the new sculpt period when they started experimenting with swivel joints more (Scarlett had ONE thigh that swiveled WTF?). Most guys have the double jointed knees but some, like Destro have the "RAH knee". Why?

The main argument against 25th, not so much that "RAH is better/superior" is along those lines. They had 25 years of practice, especially when 5 of those had lots of "new articulation" in a lot of the figures, so how did they screw it up? The 25th bodies are NOT so dramatically different (the only significant difference is the torso construction, with the joint being in the upper chest rather than the waist).

These figures DO have some good things about them. Detailing and articulation. But why was it we had to complain to get them the same "quality" as RAH?

I'm with VH on this one. Consider the context in which the RAH figures were sold to the public. They were far and away the best designed figures of their time, whereas the new 25th figures are pretty much on par with everything else. They don't really stand out any better than the best SW figures or the new Marvel stuff, or the new MOTU line by Mattel.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 25th line, and I certainly cannot deny that the sculpting is superior (as well as the articulation, usually). I have tons of them already, but they certainly won't "replace" my originals and I'm tending to stay away from the more obvious Frankenjoes more and more...

RAH reused parts a lot, more than is generally acknowledged and, no, I'm not talking about the original 13.

I think for me, it is more about FRANKENSTEINING the figures. With RAH they could, and did, more of that. There were very few "full" repaints (Gears and Barricade is a good example). With 25th, they have tendency to reuse the whole body as someone else. Not counting the arm, Major Bludd is a good example. In fact, if not for the arm, he would have made a good "Zartan in disguise" then a real Major Bludd.

There are a lot of factors that people want to ignore when it comes to the line. Toys are NOT what they used to be even 10 years ago. Toys are a smaller part of kids lives then the used to be. Remember back in the 80s when you could go to TRU, for example, and see an entire aisle of nothing but G.I. Joe? Today you get what, 1/4 of a side of an isle, maybe?

Another is that they couldn't maintain consistency with articulation. RAH figures may "all be the same" but they WERE consistent, up until the new sculpt period when they started experimenting with swivel joints more (Scarlett had ONE thigh that swiveled WTF?). Most guys have the double jointed knees but some, like Destro have the "RAH knee". Why?

Nope, the RAH was not consistent......at least not in its first couple of years.

Straight arms to swivel arms being one of the big inconsistencies. After that, some figures had swivel necks, some had ball necks.

If the debate falls to what's "better"...... there's very little that actually stands out as hallmarks of improvements of "better" between the two lines. Things are just different between them and "better" is up to the tastes of the beholder.

Nope, the RAH was not consistent......at least not in its first couple of years.

Straight arms to swivel arms being one of the big inconsistencies. After that, some figures had swivel necks, some had ball necks.

If the debate falls to what's "better"...... there's very little that actually stands out as hallmarks of improvements of "better" between the two lines. Things are just different between them and "better" is up to the tastes of the beholder.

I don't belive that counts. The ballneck and swivel arms were an improvement over the previous figures. The gimmick figures not withstanding, none of the figures in the line went back to those features (and the Dreadnoks were holdovers from the previous year). Thus there is still consistency for the most part.

I'm not talking "improvements" in the 25th line relative to RAH. They ARE improved in a lot of ways. I'm arguing that they aren't improved enough, given the consistency. RAH figures all had a base body styling. They were consistently the same articulation wise. The 25th figures are "close" but some of the choices made make no sense. Destro is an example. Why doesn't the figure have the double jointed knees of the OTHER 25th figures?

Is that not the base body of 25th?

I'm going with the simplest explanation - if someone's an avid fan of G I Joe, they probably have a ton of merch from the RAH days. If it were me, I'd be real hedgy about 'starting over' and spending money on figures I (in essence) already own. Especially if my RAH collection were to be fairly sizeable.

That's something I agree with and failed to mention in my earlier post.

I had already done that by buying the JvC and VvV lines. They were similar but each differed in size from ARAH (as well as from each other) and were not entirely compatible. They simply don't fit in size-wise with my ARAH stuff, except for the VvV women. The 25th line is not similar to any of those three and that's enough of a reason

I had already done that by buying the JvC and VvV lines. They were similar but each differed in size from ARAH (as well as from each other) and were not entirely compatible. They simply don't fit in size-wise with my ARAH stuff, except for the VvV women. The 25th line is not similar to any of those three and that's enough of a reason

Well that's also implying that most fans are "original" fans. There are also those that came on board with JvC, Spytroops and VvV, as well as 25th. So, for those fans, acquiring the older stuff, if they choose to, especially since, as said, the new sculpt stuff IS different, isn't easy. Maybe not even wanted.

Well that's also implying that most fans are "original" fans. There are also those that came on board with JvC, Spytroops and VvV, as well as 25th. So, for those fans, acquiring the older stuff, if they choose to, especially since, as said, the new sculpt stuff IS different, isn't easy. Maybe not even wanted.

Given your use of commas (7 times in one sentence! :blink: ), I am having trouble following your train of thought, and how what you said relates to the question asked - "Why some people don't buy 25th?" Please clarify.

Given your use of commas (7 times in one sentence! :blink: ), I am having trouble following your train of thought, and how what you said relates to the question asked - "Why some people don't buy 25th?" Please clarify.

Well, I actually think it got off on a tangent. The discussion was leaning towards there being either RAH fans or 25th fans. I was pointing out that G.I. Joe COULD be broken up into the different "categories" (RAH, JvC, Spytroops, VvV and 25th). Most younger fans became fans with JvC and later. So they don't really HAVE the connection to RAH.

But regardless, whether they wanted to or not, acquring RAH stuff is NOT cheap.

Ares was saying that most "avid fans" have RAH collections and that isn't necessarily the case. They might not have ANY RAH stuff.

Well, I actually think it got off on a tangent. The discussion was leaning towards there being either RAH fans or 25th fans. I was pointing out that G.I. Joe COULD be broken up into the different "categories" (RAH, JvC, Spytroops, VvV and 25th). Most younger fans became fans with JvC and later. So they don't really HAVE the connection to RAH.

But regardless, whether they wanted to or not, acquring RAH stuff is NOT cheap.

Ares was saying that most "avid fans" have RAH collections and that isn't necessarily the case. They might not have ANY RAH stuff.

Gotcha! I guess, it's kinda weird to say, but after a certain (neon) point, I stopped collecting RAH Joes. I was all about the realistc (if you could stretch that) nature of the line. It was about the same time that Marvel gave up on the idea as well, as far as the comic went. So the JvC, Spytroops, VvV are all lost on me. I guess, as far as fans mostly go, there is some line drawn where Marvel ends, and the rest begins. But I'm 'old', so that line lay have shifted. (which makes me wonder, for those that are 'young', what drew you to Joes?)

I'm going to go out on a limb, with no real data, and say that the reasons people aren't buying the new ones aren't cost or construction (with the exeption of the elbows and a few guys who can't sit, these are better constructed than the blob headed, broken thumbed guys of yore we love so much.)

I'm gonna say (again, non-scientifically) that it is these two reasons:

1. I think when JVC, Spy Troops, VvV came out, Joe fans were in their ealry twenties to early thirties, and just getting married, buying houses, having babies. Most of the people in the forums seemed to have live in girlfriends and maybe a new house with a Joe room or an apartment.

These same people are all in their thirties now, the kids are older, and the time and disposable income (and probably playful spirit) aren't there.

2. Buying Fatigue: Even though JVC/VvV, in retrospect, was a huge mess of lame endless repaints, new characters, poorly redesigned old characters, too-big figures, crappy vehicles, (And some really cool stuff), I think we bought the crap out of it and army built the crap out of it because we had money and freedom we didn't have in grade school.

By the time the line died, we looked at our huge collections and realized we had an endless mess of plastic junk in weird sizes.

Now we don't have the money of will to start again, same characters, same armies.

If I had it to do over again, and could know the future, I'd have bought NONE of it, and spent all that money on 25th figs and classic figs. As it stands now I have a mountain of plastic regret from the 2001-2005, or whever that line happened.

Also - based on the empty pegs everywhere, I'd say a lot of people ARE buying these toys!

Ok, I will give you my input on this topic, maybe some of you have read the thread I have looking for advices on how to do a smart purchase to get the figures.

To me, this is the line Ive been waiting for, for a long time. I had my share of Joes from RAH when I was a kid back in the 80's. TigerForce, Persuader, Lt. Falcon, those are some of the names I remember right now. The line was too cool to pass. Single figures were above good actually, having 3 or 4 favorites, Psick Out (maybe I misspelled it) Dial Tone, Dr. Mindbender, Lifeline and Marine Dressed Gung Ho. I loved them.

Then it came the 90's and I lost interest, mostly because of the Neon thing some of you guys have been mentioning. I did not make any Joe purchase for about 11 or 12 years.

And then I heard about JvC. I loved it, even when they didnt offer Orings on the 2 first waves. Then Hasbro listened to the fans, because I think they do listen us, (this is for you Mattel) and we got a Oringed Scarlet, Zartan, Firefly, etc. Then they released a Night Attack Chopper that is the coolest copter ever released for a GIjoe line. They got me again, and I started to buy them again.

Although they were cool, they were no close to the original character with some exceptions. They lost consistency when they switch to Spytroop and they lose me again. I got rid of everything.

I lost interest again on GIJoes for years, until I had a 25th in my hand weeks ago. They magic was there. I had a Spirit from 25th in my hand. No Sound Attack gimmick. No Spygear crap. The original deal done with today's technology. The only thing I dont like on some figures (Looking at you Duke) is that torso articulation that make some of them to look weird.

All in all, Im back collecting them. I like what they have to offer.

Also - based on the empty pegs everywhere, I'd say a lot of people ARE buying these toys!

Probably not the best means by which gauge a toys popularity..."empty pegs"?

That could be due to a number of reasons, like stock (how much was put out?) and whether or not a restock has ever occured and how many times? An empty peg can simply mean that only what was ever put out was purchased and that might not be all that much? 1 case...2 cases maybe? In todays world, there's rarely a bountiful number of product like this....stocked to begin with. It's not like cans of soup or toilet paper. ^_^

That could be due to a number of reasons, like stock (how much was put out?) and whether or not a restock has ever occured and how many times? An empty peg can simply mean that only what was ever put out was purchased and that might not be all that much? 1 case...2 cases maybe? In todays world, there's rarely a bountiful number of product like this....stocked to begin with. It's not like cans of soup or toilet paper. ^_^

Agreed. To (again) compare 'now and then', now you get a store like Walmart, who will order/put out a case or two of product. Then, you'd walk into a Caldor (or whatever your area had before Walmart-types) and behold an f-ing WALL o' figs crying out to you. A WHOLE WALL!!! So why do people not collect the 25th line? Probably because they can't F-ING find them!!!

Agreed. To (again) compare 'now and then', now you get a store like Walmart, who will order/put out a case or two of product. Then, you'd walk into a Caldor (or whatever your area had before Walmart-types) and behold an f-ing WALL o' figs crying out to you. A WHOLE WALL!!! So why do people not collect the 25th line? Probably because they can't F-ING find them!!!

Even TRU is limited and seem to only stock more of their particular "exclusive" Joe items than the entire assortment. Yeah, the good'ol days of walking into a Children's Palace, Kay Bee or TRU where the Joe stuff was piled high and wide, has long since died. I'm a victim of impulsive behavior with regards to my G.I.Joe collecting hobby, and 9x out of 10...if I walk into a store a see new product, that impulsive nature takes over and I'll buy it. Call me lazy or maybe just stubborn, but if I have to take extra efforts to buy this stuff, I get easily irritated, the fun gets sucked right out of it for me, and I'll lose interest much quicker. It's not a contest, it's not a game, it's just a simple hobby I've taken up, and I'm not wanting to COMPETE with others over it, I collected LONG before I even knew I had so much company in it. I just want the sh@# and I'd like to get it locally (help the LOCAL economy) and and as cheap as possible (help my personal economic challenges) but the Joe stuff seems to be a hassle to keep up with, and you're right in that it probably makes folks (like me) lose interest a lot quicker.

That's a major problem for me. I had to drive to an entire other city just to find the Water Mocassin.

Whichever wave Buzzer was in, there was a time when I could go into Target, for example, and find 5 or 6 Buzzers on the pegs....and nothing else. I don't know if Target saw that and thought "see there are still Joes on the pegs!" and waited for them to sell or what.

And it isn't so much not being able to find them. Well not entirely. Its also about all the damn repaint/repack waves. I've already had 3 attempts to get the original 5 pack figures, so why do I need a FOURTH?

What actually makes me curious after comparing then and now is, with the surplus that was available then, where did it all go? I mean, when you could walk into a store and be greeted by those walls o' plastic goodness, I don't recall there ever being an issue with new stuff coming out. Even if there was still old stuff on the pegs, new stuff still got put out. Now I was alot younger then, so I didn't give it half a thought, but assuming the old stuff didn't eventually sell, where did it all go? Is there some top-secret toy compound somewhere filled-to-bust with all the toys we didn't buy? Surely it all couldn't have been liquidated at outlet stores. I wonder if they bought all the excess back and melted it down to recycle?

What actually makes me curious after comparing then and now is, with the surplus that was available then, where did it all go? I mean, when you could walk into a store and be greeted by those walls o' plastic goodness, I don't recall there ever being an issue with new stuff coming out. Even if there was still old stuff on the pegs, new stuff still got put out. Now I was alot younger then, so I didn't give it half a thought, but assuming the old stuff didn't eventually sell, where did it all go? Is there some top-secret toy compound somewhere filled-to-bust with all the toys we didn't buy? Surely it all couldn't have been liquidated at outlet stores. I wonder if they bought all the excess back and melted it down to recycle?

Back then, quite a bit of stock that could not be sold ended up in landfills.