Mattel shrinking scale to reduce cost on Dc Universe line!

DangerDrVenture

I figured out how Mattel was able to produce the Wave 7 new molds (Captain Cold, Kid Flash, Big Barda) with such great quality control..THEY SHRANK!

Check the three figures against your regular collection..they're a half inch smaller in terms of scale. Here is a picture of Flash/Kid Flash as prototypes. Notice that Kid Flash stands with the top of his head about eye level to Barry Allen, and he's sculpted to look like a late teenager.

The real Kid Flash figure's head barely meets the top of Barry's shoulder. While I'm fine with this scale change to preserve quality/budget, it's hilarious to see a midget Kid Flash, as his face is still sculpted to look like a near-adult, while his body is that of a 13 year old. Captain Cold and Barda also look like below-average height individuals next to the other Mattel toys.

Even though they decreased Barda's scale too, she's still larger than the other females in the toyline. She's about the same height as the male figures. You can tell she was prototyped to be much larger, though.

As a final statement, I agree with their decision. This tiny size decrease has resulted in the NICEST toys Mattel has done for the DCU property so far. Kid Flash uses some of Robin's parts, but the lack of a belt to extend the torso leaves him SMALLER!

Flashes vs prototypes

midget2.jpg

Most of wave 7 together:

midgety.jpg

I got nothing against of what you said but wasn't Kid Flash sopost to be smaller the Flash. I mean if I'm right Kid Flash was a teen when he got his powers and Flash is sopost to be his uncle. So I think they did a better job to Kid Flash then his pro type. I don't have Kid Flash but I do have both Flash and Cold and I do see what you mean with Cold beening smaller to the others.

2386883740099253773S425x425Q85.jpg

2889813680099253773S425x425Q85.jpg

2567153850099253773S425x425Q85.jpg

They dont shrink the figures to reduce cost.

They reuse as many parts as possible, and the new figures can only be as big as the figures they share parts with. In terms of new figures, sometimes its an error in the process used to shrink the molds from the 2-up (12") to the 6" production figure (why sinestro turned out so small and grundy so large). For barda, Mattel has stated that she is smaller because she uses internal pieces from wonder woman, such as discs, pins, hinges, etc (again, saving money by reusing parts, however small).

I th9nk this is more along the lines of prototypes v. final prodcut. Seldom do figures thathit the shelves completely resemble the prototypes we see at cons or toyfairs.

I think the figures we have were always destined to be as such, not price cutting by shrinking their figures. Imagine the uproar over such a change... Mattel is trying to be collector friendly. A change like that would cause too much backlash.

OMG! You sound like a Marvel Legends fans. This was addressed when Sinestro came out shorter than expected. The mold shrinks sometimes, it happens.

I had a feeling Barda wouldn't be made to correct scale. She's probably tall enough to earn Collect and Connect honors. Kid Flash is supposed to be short and Capt. Cold doesn't look ridiculously out of scale.

What you should really be concerned with is when the rest of the wave is coming out. "Let's divide the wave into two separate cases!" Genius.

Mold shrinkages are usually about 10% or less--this is an example of actually pantographing the molds smaller. The size disparity is.......considerable, and almost alarming. This is a case where the smaller figure actually looks like its meant for another scaled line entirely, because the original prototype had sensible teen proportions compared to the adult figure.

I was quite disappointed in seeing how small Barda was, and seeing this very small Kid Flash........well, like Barda, he's not going to find a place in my collection because he's too small.

While I didn't like Sinestro being too small, and Barda ought to be taller than she came out, I'm OK with Kid Flash and Captain Cold being slightly shorter than anticipated. It's kind of silly when everyone other than the Collect N Connect figures are exactly the same height, so it's nice that some are slightly different.

I don't mine the size of them I like how Mattel is doing them unlike Jakks where they have all the wrestlers exsept Big Show the same size. I mean look at Ray he is smaller then Shawn Michales or Undertaker but in the toys they have Ray the same size as them. So I'm happy about the different size to Capt. Cold and Kid Flash. As you seen from my picture I have Flash small because I have him in a running poss.

I don't see the need for concern.

Barda should be the same height as Wonder Woman. She is. I'm happy.

Kid Flash is just that. A kid. Same height as Robin. I'm Happy.

Sinestro and Capt. Cold - yeah, there's some shrinkage there. Weird. But it happens.

To say that Mattel is willingly shrinking their figs to make up for cost is not supported not the 'evidence' given. Try again.

Anybody who checks the source (IE Kirby's New Gods) will know that Barda is in scale.

she's not supposed to be a giant. She's big, but she's not HUGE. Kirby drew her shorter than Scott.

I'm not buying the 'shrunken molds' either, sorry DDV, I just don't think it's so.

me either.

I don't think there shrinking as much as this wave just had a few smaller body villians/heroes than other waves.

right..... they just used molds that they already had.

Yeah, Barda's scale changes eveytime someone different draws her. Her old Kirby appearances make her out to be about 6 foot (ish), and I've seen an issue that Turner drew where she was about 8 feet tall...everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, Barda's scale changes eveytime someone different draws her. Her old Kirby appearances make her out to be about 6 foot (ish), and I've seen an issue that Turner drew where she was about 8 feet tall...everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

Who's Who has her at 6'2", so DEFINITELY in scale if going by that.

good, I remember that when I saw the prototype of robin see too great and formed to be an adolescent, but when coming the commercial version east was but under slim stature and of complexion, in that sense it seems that Kid Flash adapts well to the line of figures of young age. but what it does not please is the one to give him to smaller proportion to Barda like the Wonder Woman, serious good that they returned to remove both figures in better design

According to the DC Comics Encyclopedia, Kid Flash (Bart) is only 5'2". They have Robin (Tim Drake) at 5'5". When you place them with Cyborg, 6'6", and Starfire, 6'4", they look okay.

Hopefully they make some other smaller figures for Teen Titan collectors. Wonder Girl, 5'3", and Superboy, 5'7", in the same scale would be cool.