Watchmen Review (SPOILERS!!)

Prime2099

Hey everybody, i was able to catch an advance screening of Watchment on base tonight. I just finished reading the series last week so everything from that is pretty much fresh in my mind. The movie was awesome, pretty much all comic accurate and such. The one big thing that is different is the ending with no "Giant Squid" attacking New York. Instead, Adrian makes it out to seem like Dr. Manhattan attacks Mankind by attacking various cities (such as New York, London, Paris, Moscow) all at once and blowing up parts of them. Alot of things were omitted but thats expected. Here's a few of them:

-Bernard the Newspaper man and all those characters.

-The fate of Hollis Mason.

-Tales of the Black Freighter.

-Pretty much Ozymandias' entire backround.

There are some other things too, but i can't remember what. Those are the only things i can think of right now. Anways, alot of people were complaining that the movie was pointless cause it led no where and had no action. But keep in mind that these people have probably never heard of the comic. If you read the comic than you would have a greater appreciation for it. I liked it, and my did too without reading the book. She just could stomach some of the things like arms getting cut off and the rape scene. It is very violent though so that's a plus.

Hey everybody, i was able to catch an advance screening of Watchment on base tonight. I just finished reading the series last week so everything from that is pretty much fresh in my mind. The movie was awesome, pretty much all comic accurate and such. The one big thing that is different is the ending with no "Giant Squid" attacking New York. Instead, Adrian makes it out to seem like Dr. Manhattan attacks Mankind by attacking various cities (such as New York, London, Paris, Moscow) all at once and blowing up parts of them. Alot of things were omitted but thats expected. Here's a few of them:

There are some other things too, but i can't remember what. Those are the only things i can think of right now. Anways, alot of people were complaining that the movie was pointless cause it led no where and had no action. But keep in mind that these people have probably never heard of the comic. If you read the comic than you would have a greater appreciation for it. I liked it, and my did too without reading the book. She just could stomach some of the things like arms getting cut off and the rape scene. It is very violent though so that's a plus.

l heard about the movie ending but at the time, people said it was rumor. Not shocked that it is true because the squid would be hard for ppl who haven't read the original to stomach.

As for the Bernards and the Black Freighter, they will be included in the black freighter movie as well as in the unrated director's cut. They actually show both the newspaper guy and the comicbook kid in the makin of the watchman movie.

I am wonderin if they removed any of the old heroes from the book. I have heard of a rumor that the superhero who tried to create a new team to fight crime was replaced with owlman II; it was the flashback scene where the Comedian burns the map.

Alot of stuff was cut due to time constaints. It was mentioned at WonderCon that The fate of Hollis Mason was filmed but cut. If the movie is succesful, they're lookiing at a july release for a Director's cut of the film that should run like 3 hours

Thanks for the review. My wife was thinking of coming with me to watch it but I was wondering how violent it was.....she's not too crazy about rape scenes and too much graphic violence. This helps. Thanks

l heard about the movie ending but at the time, people said it was rumor. Not shocked that it is true because the squid would be hard for ppl who haven't read the original to stomach.

As for the Bernards and the Black Freighter, they will be included in the black freighter movie as well as in the unrated director's cut. They actually show both the newspaper guy and the comicbook kid in the makin of the watchman movie.

I am wonderin if they removed any of the old heroes from the book. I have heard of a rumor that the superhero who tried to create a new team to fight crime was replaced with owlman II; it was the flashback scene where the Comedian burns the map.

Nope the Minutemen are all there. Captain Metropolis is still the one that tries to gather all the current characters for the Crimebusters (even though I think they are called the Watchmen instead in the movie). Nite Owl is just a participate, its still Veidt and Cap that are wanting to run the group.

I don't remember seeing Captain Metropolis in there, just Veidt, but then again i might be wrong. Anyways the Bernards are there they have like two cameo scenes one at the beginning and one at the end when the bomb goes off. Just like in the comic they hug and then die.

I don't remember seeing Captain Metropolis in there, just Veidt, but then again i might be wrong. Anyways the Bernards are there they have like two cameo scenes one at the beginning and one at the end when the bomb goes off. Just like in the comic they hug and then die.

from the Watchmen wiki:

It is unknown if Metropolis will appear in the Zack Snyder 2009 Watchmen adaptation as a speaking character or simply in pictures in a flashback. In a recently released picture from Zack Snyder that re-creates the photo taken during a meeting of the Minutemen (featuring all of the original members in costume), Captain Metropolis is featured. The David Hayter draft eliminated him entirely from the plot, and Dan Dreiberg was used as a replacement for the Crimebusters meeting scene, so as to make him more of a leader.

Wonderin if you remember who held the Crimebusters meeting.

from the Watchmen wiki:

It is unknown if Metropolis will appear in the Zack Snyder 2009 Watchmen adaptation as a speaking character or simply in pictures in a flashback. In a recently released picture from Zack Snyder that re-creates the photo taken during a meeting of the Minutemen (featuring all of the original members in costume), Captain Metropolis is featured. The David Hayter draft eliminated him entirely from the plot, and Dan Dreiberg was used as a replacement for the Crimebusters meeting scene, so as to make him more of a leader.

I know Ozymandias, Rorscach, Comedian, Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan and Nite Owl. I really don't remember seeing Metropolis there. If he was there, then he'd have to have been in the background, because the scene was pretty much focused on Ozy and the Comedian as they were the only two with lines.

from the Watchmen wiki:

I know Ozymandias, Rorscach, Comedian, Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan and Nite Owl. I really don't remember seeing Metropolis there. If he was there, then he'd have to have been in the background, because the scene was pretty much focused on Ozy and the Comedian as they were the only two with lines.

Oh. l have no idea they removed lines from that portion of the movie. That blows

Did anyone read the companion guide yet? I was at barnes and noble and caught it by accident and spent over an hour going through it. It shows a bunch of stills from the movie and gives some insight

spoiler

like the reason Hang man hung out with Silk Spectre 1 was because he was gay and his boyfriend was Cap Metropolis who was also gay yet a racist and hispanics and blacks. That bugged me out to be in a minority hating other minorities. Anyway just wanted to share a bit, I read the book saw the motion comic and I am looking forward to seeing the Movie on Firday.

from the Watchmen wiki:

Oh. l have no idea they removed lines from that portion of the movie. That blows

Yeah my bad he isn't there. I saw a portion of the scene on movies.yahoo.com still looks cool but sucks Cap Metro isn't there.

Did anyone read the companion guide yet? I was at barnes and noble and caught it by accident and spent over an hour going through it. It shows a bunch of stills from the movie and gives some insight

spoiler

like the reason Hang man hung out with Silk Spectre 1 was because he was gay and his boyfriend was Cap Metropolis who was also gay yet a racist and hispanics and blacks. That bugged me out to be in a minority hating other minorities. Anyway just wanted to share a bit, I read the book saw the motion comic and I am looking forward to seeing the Movie on Firday.

that tibit is also somehow in the documents that are in each chapter of the graphic novel/tpb, though it is more subtle.

possible spoilers

So how complex are the characters? One of my favorite things from the comic was the Sally Jupiter/ Comedian relationship and her daughter's reaction to it. I hope that's not totally glossed over.

It's still there.

I also did a review on the film though it is brief. here are some of my thoughts:

I must say, I am in awe. Zach Synder really pulled it off and I gotta hand it to him. I had my doubts at first, probably more than most people. I worried about the slo mo being distracting, I worried that the meaning and emotion of the comic wouldn't carry over. I worried unnecessarily. The film was excellent, and while not the work of perfection that the book was, I loved it and I'd give it a solid ***1/2/****. The characters were so well portrayed, in particular Rorschach. I was not sold on the voice at first but he came off soooo awesome and [censored] that I didn't mind at all. What I had seen in clips just didn't look good out of context I guess because the film just flowed so well and the music really helped bring out the mood. I loved that they used period music. Jefferey Dean Morgan was great as The Comedian and really put up a fight in the beginning, more so than in the book. In general, the film is violent and the characters really smack each other around quite a bit so it does have that comic book feel to it and it comes across well. Manhattan made more sense to me than he ever did in the book and I really began to see him as more than just some egotistical freak result of an accident. Laurie was good, though certainly the least interesting of the characters on screen. (Yes you do see a lot of her. cool.gif) Dan was good too. I've never liked Nite Owl. Always thought he was boring but I ended up liking him alot here, and I won a figure of him before the screening in a trivia contest too. Rorschach is just the man though. They changed the ending and now I can see why, as it wouldn't have worked with the film otherwise and been able to keep the length proper. They also changed how he becomes Rorschach, but I felt it was for the better.

I was concerned that they completely changed the ending, but I guess it's ok if it's the same result.

Considering that most of the stuff you mentioned that wasn't in the movie were parts I basically skipped because they were pointless. Didn't care about the newspaper vendor or the comic book kid or the psychiatrist and his marital problems. Ozy's backstory was blah blah blah and didn't need to be there. All in all a good show.

good movie but damn was it long and slow moving at times

watchmen for me was a 7/10...but during the terminator trailer I whipped out my iPhone and I had the bale rant on my iTunes and during a quiet part I hit play and everyone around me heard..." kick your fuching ass!" " you prick!" it was so funny and timed perfectly...everyone with in 10 rows was laughing...but over all I felt the same way I did when I left the dark knight, a little empty but the next day I feel better about that epic awesomeness I stayed up to 3am watching...

I just saw it and I didn't like the changes they made. There were too many small changes made in an attempt to please the simple minded movie going mases. And since when was nite owl such a well trained fighter? Plus they skipped Dan and Laurie being on the run with their died blonde hair at the end. And the cops never came to Dan's apartment first to investigate and then the raid. They also skipped the murder of old man Hollis (or whatever he's called).

They nailed the Comedian perfectly.

yeah i just came back too, man the fight scenes were amazing, very bloody in a lot of scenes, Jack Earle Haley really did a good job with rorschach, actually all the actors we're good, dr. manhattan's...nakedness was not that bad as i thought it would be, yeah the music was a bit odd in the beginning but it got better as the movie went on, i can't believe alan moore doesn't like this movie(not sure if he saw it or not) but i heard he doesn't like it

Alan Moore doesn't like any movie based on his properties. Mostly because they tend to suck or change too much away. From Hell was a personal project about Jack the Ripper they turned into a normal thriller, LXG well that flick was just strange, and V for Vendetta was just silly. So Moore tends to shy away from Hollywood. He will never see the movie, or so he says.

Also Rebel Dan was a great fighter, even early in the book where Laurie and him fended off a gang of Knottops, he can fight.

Alan Moore doesn't like any movie based on his properties. Mostly because they tend to suck or change too much away. From Hell was a personal project about Jack the Ripper they turned into a normal thriller, LXG well that flick was just strange, and V for Vendetta was just silly. So Moore tends to shy away from Hollywood. He will never see the movie, or so he says.

Also Rebel Dan was a great fighter, even early in the book where Laurie and him fended off a gang of Knottops, he can fight.

In the GN Dan can fight well for a regular guy. In the movie they have him pulling off moves as if he was DareDevil. He's breaking bones right out of the skin left and right.

Hay gang Queen here with my lil review of what I thought of Watchmen: Ok, I guess i'll start with the bad that way I can end this on a positive note (mind you not that this is gonna be a slam review, I just like to end on the plus side when ever possible).

The movie was about a half hour too long for my taste. Not that I have a problem with long movies, but if your gonna make a movie that effin long its gonna have to have more action in it. There was a ton of footage that should have ended up on the cutting room floor (or hello its called dvd extras)!! So much of what this movie lays on you is sooooo not important to moveing the plot forward. I know the movie was ment to deal with "out the box concepts" but it seems to me that the director forgot major rules when makeing a film, & the biggest rule of all is "does what's happening in the scene MOVE THE PLOT FORWARD!?" Next is the non stop flashbacks. & this point kinda goes hand in hand with the plot that for the 1st half of the movie idols in 1st gear. Most directors like to keep flash backs to a minuim & if they are used try to keep it as far from the movies climax.

The thing with flashbacks are that they tend to slow down the momentum of the plot. Mind you that's not to say that they don't serve a good use. Flashbacks are very helpful with rapidly explaining the missing pices of the story, but they do tend to come at a price, & that being the "drag effect" on plot momentum. Next is the "relivance factor". Was Watchmen relivant to todays world???? The cold was is nothing more than pages in a childs history book these days. I must confess I did have just a lil problem connecting with this mid 80ies fictional cold war era (but strangely enough I NEVER had that problem with DC animated movie New Frontier dealing with the McCarthy era).

I guess I simply need more of a reason to emotionaly invest in this movie & its reality. Ok, here's the last of the bad. The ending IMO was a lil up staged by Roschach death. box full BRB.