Why does everyone feel the need to over price

JayCueBatman

So if someone sends you a PM and asks you if you want a set for $115 shipped that makes them a scalper? Did you even think perhaps they bought them from a local comic shop(They need the mark up too :) for $20 each and are charging you what they paid along with shipping.

ok let me see if I'm understanding you right. you say a collector NOT SCALPER buys a set for $115.00 & then comes to boards like this one & sends out PMs to various members asking if they want to buy it for practicualy the same price? is that what your saying?

If so then I'm not buying that tall tale by any means! a collector would never buy something like this & turn right around & hock it days later (mind you I'm not saying its impossible) just extreamly suspect & dubious.

Mama didn't raise no fool.

If so then I'm not buying that tall tale by any means! a collector would never buy something like this & turn right around & hock it days later (mind you I'm not saying its impossible) just extreamly suspect & dubious.

Whoa there partner. I can and does happen. Let me tell you how and why. I think this whole thread started partly because I saw a post by the modirator of this site in a thread that stated that he/she was looking for an loose Eradicator. I pm him/her with an offer to trade or buy one that I won on ebay. I like many others had bid on several ebay auctions at one time for this figure. Most times I am outbid at the last moment. However this time I won 2 of these on ebay. Rather than take a non-paying bidder strike I paid for both figures. Now I have 2 that I paid $25 for including shipping. Wanting to recoupe my ebay expense I offered the figure for exactly what I paid, only adding shipping for the figure. I am a collector and not a scalper. But what burns me about this thread is that someone would want to dictate how much a figure is bought or sold for. No one makes a buyer pay a price for an item, and no one should be able to tell me or anyone how much I can pay for a figure. When I bid on ebay, I have my price set. Sometimes I go over my limit and sometimes I get it for less. However the choice is still mine to pay it or not, to go through ebay or not. There is no one one ebay sensoring how much I have to or can not pay. If it were, then ebay would not be a place for anyone to buy anything because the items would not be made available there. I can understand and accept that the moderator want to controll the DC board, and he/she has a right to do so. Im appauled that he/she choose to go on their own personal feelings and not consider those who differ in opinions on the subject. He/She seems to think that its all about the seller. Well I understand your intentions, but what about buyers who get hard to find items for cost and then turn around and scalp them at inflated rates on ebay? Where does the control end? You cant tell people what to do with items purchased here. Or can you? If you really believe it is ok to legislate transactions on this site, then I am sure you will find a way to controll what we do with figures we purchase from others on this boad. What's next? Maybe a no customizing rule? A no opening rule? Where does the control end?

I can understand and accept that the moderator want to controll the DC board, and he/she has a right to do so. Im appauled that he/she choose to go on their own personal feelings and not consider those who differ in opinions on the subject. He/She seems to think that its all about the seller. Well I understand your intentions, but what about buyers who get hard to find items for cost and then turn around and scalp them at inflated rates on ebay? Where does the control end? You cant tell people what to do with items purchased here. Or can you? If you really believe it is ok to legislate transactions on this site, then I am sure you will find a way to controll what we do with figures we purchase from others on this boad. What's next? Maybe a no customizing rule? A no opening rule? Where does the control end?

You are talking about controls, HRB00 is talking about a consensus.

Actually, more than a consensus, a collective mindset--that says that the friendly thing to do is to offer items at cost plus shipping.

Now, its not a demand that people do this.....its a suggestion. Don't read anything more into it than that--because I sure don't.

It someone wants to get top dollar for what they have........more power to them, "fill yer boots", I say.

It won't necessarily make that collector terribly popular as a trader though, which is kind for the point being made here.

If collectors here want the communal collecting environment online to get better, then they have to look beyond their own immediate interests and think......just for a minute......about just how what they do impacts the online community they frequent.

I mean......hey.....we can all be in it for ourselves, be cutthroat in our dealings and demand equitable trades and deals only.....but that isn't fun.

Its soulless commerce, and sort of defeats the whole point of having a community to begin with.

Social pressure does work on occasion, but it requires the cooperation of those involved to make an impact.

This a good case of "if you do not want to be part of the problem, be part of the solution".

If you want to get deals for cost plus shipping, and karma bombs and have a pleasant, friendly trading environment, then its SUGGESTED that you refrain from marking up the cost of what you have to sell yourself. Otherwise, places like Ebay and Craigslist are probably better for you.

So if someone sends you a PM and asks you if you want a set for $115 shipped that makes them a scalper? Did you even think perhaps they bought them from a local comic shop(They need the mark up too :) for $20 each and are charging you what they paid along with shipping.

ok let me see if I'm understanding you right. you say a collector NOT SCALPER buys a set for $115.00 & then comes to boards like this one & sends out PMs to various members asking if they want to buy it for practicualy the same price? is that what your saying?

What exactly did your mama raise? <_<

Well I would say that they probably bought 2 sets from their guy at the LCS for $100 each set. Then they opened one set and built the sweet Metallo C&C figure and touched him and loved him. Then they stopped collecting MISB stuff and offered a set to someone for what they paid plus $15 shipping. Uhm just a thought.... I think your paranoid @hmmm@ because that's not a hard story to swallow.

Again St. James this post was not against you. Like Arrow said when we ask for a helping hand we are asking for that. And i did post that if you happened to have bought this on Ebay for that much and your trying to get your money back again thats not my fault (or anyone elses) you overpaid for said item.

With that said i can buy a whole wave of figures at a store and trade them here for the Ebay cost and say im recooping my losses from Ebay!! but again that is not the fault of anyone but myself for making a purchase that high for something that is at cost no more than $12.

Again I am not dictating how much a figure should cost...im stating a clear fact that at Wal-Mart they cost $11.88. Because Ebay has them going for $20+ does not mean we have to do that here. There has been tons and tons of decent trades and sales made between collectors since i have joined in 2003. i could go on about the amounts of transactions i have been apart of and never EVER has anyone i have delt with until this DCUC wave started to surface have seen prices go as high as they have. Especially on this Forum as of recent.

Even with the chase MLs there were fair and decent transactions never the mark up these DCUC figures are getting.

Again i dont want to see anyone get hosed on paying super inflated prices for items due to people trying to recoop thier Ebay cost...thats not anyones issue but yours or whomever paid for it

Whoa there partner. I can and does happen. Let me tell you how and why. I think this whole thread started partly because I saw a post by the modirator of this site in a thread that stated that he/she was looking for an loose Eradicator. I pm him/her with an offer to trade or buy one that I won on ebay. I like many others had bid on several ebay auctions at one time for this figure. Most times I am outbid at the last moment. However this time I won 2 of these on ebay. Rather than take a non-paying bidder strike I paid for both figures. Now I have 2 that I paid $25 for including shipping. Wanting to recoupe my ebay expense I offered the figure for exactly what I paid, only adding shipping for the figure. I am a collector and not a scalper. But what burns me about this thread is that someone would want to dictate how much a figure is bought or sold for. No one makes a buyer pay a price for an item, and no one should be able to tell me or anyone how much I can pay for a figure. When I bid on ebay, I have my price set. Sometimes I go over my limit and sometimes I get it for less. However the choice is still mine to pay it or not, to go through ebay or not. There is no one one ebay sensoring how much I have to or can not pay. If it were, then ebay would not be a place for anyone to buy anything because the items would not be made available there. I can understand and accept that the moderator want to controll the DC board, and he/she has a right to do so. Im appauled that he/she choose to go on their own personal feelings and not consider those who differ in opinions on the subject. He/She seems to think that its all about the seller. Well I understand your intentions, but what about buyers who get hard to find items for cost and then turn around and scalp them at inflated rates on ebay? Where does the control end? You cant tell people what to do with items purchased here. Or can you? If you really believe it is ok to legislate transactions on this site, then I am sure you will find a way to controll what we do with figures we purchase from others on this boad. What's next? Maybe a no customizing rule? A no opening rule? Where does the control end?

You are way off base there!!!! First this is not ebay so don't bring what goes on at ebay into your argument. If you wanted to recoupe your losses why not resell your stuff on ebay?? To come here and offer figs that are aready a point of frustration for a scalper price and claim to be a collector is dubious. YOU should know better as a collector. Speaking freely you could have offered them for cost (that's 11.88 buddy) and made ALOT of friends as a newbie. As it is now I am interested to see who will help out when you need something (and unless you live in a toy Mecca you will). I'm actually glad there will be a lock on price gouging maybe it will keep scalp er collectors like you on ebay if profit is your motive. If you want money take your $#!T to ebay...not here. So just help you understand in no certain terms: Offering single 12 dollar figs for 30 dollars or a 90 set for 150 bucks will not make you alot of friends here. Trading or selling for FAIR (as determined by seller and buyer) prices will help ensure no one throws any snide comments your way. To try to "argue" your side as if you ared some victim is laughable and no rationale you can offer will make me see any valid point you are trying to make.

I can understand and accept that the moderator want to controll the DC board, and he/she has a right to do so. Im appauled that he/she choose to go on their own personal feelings and not consider those who differ in opinions on the subject. He/She seems to think that its all about the seller. Well I understand your intentions, but what about buyers who get hard to find items for cost and then turn around and scalp them at inflated rates on ebay? Where does the control end? You cant tell people what to do with items purchased here. Or can you? If you really believe it is ok to legislate transactions on this site, then I am sure you will find a way to controll what we do with figures we purchase from others on this boad. What's next? Maybe a no customizing rule? A no opening rule? Where does the control end?

You are talking about controls, HRB00 is talking about a consensus.

Actually, more than a consensus, a collective mindset--that says that the friendly thing to do is to offer items at cost plus shipping.

Now, its not a demand that people do this.....its a suggestion. Don't read anything more into it than that--because I sure don't.

Actually, in HRB00's first post he specifically says that if he sees someone charging more then cost he will delete the post even if he doesn't have the authority to do so. Personally I think that is absolute crap for a mod to do unless JayC personally lists it in the TOS.

The funny thing about this is I am defending a persons choice to be an idiot, but the important point is it is his choice. Personally I think scalping is a big joke. A guy makes pennies on the dollar. For the hour he is going to waist to make a Net $5.00 or so he could make $10.00 working a real job.

Yes i did say that...and i stand by that. And i also said i dont know if i am allowed to do it offically, but its my opinion and if JayC wants to take away my Mod responsibilites because of my decision to stop scalping on the DC Boards then so be it.

As long as i am a MOD for the DC Boards there will be NO SCALPING of any figures!! If you dont agree with me then i am truly sorry!

Define "scalping"

It may sound like I am trying to be an ass, but what if I have a complete Solomon Grundy C&C. What will HRB00 determine as the fair price for the board? What about a an extra Lex Luthor I picked up in a lot type auction of 10 figures I won for $15.00 total? How about a DCUC I bought at Phils Foodway for $13.95 instead of at Target for $8.99 when they had a temp price cut?

Selling an item that you paid $5 in the store add tax what ever it may be and turn around to sell it for $30+ because thats the going rate on EBAY. Basically overcharging for a figure you paid at RETAIL cost. Thats my definition of scalping.

If your gonna offer something you are reselling from an Ebay Deal say that, I cant speak for everyone but im sure we would all understand alittle better that if your gonna charge that then we know you are trying to recoop your cost and can decline the offer if its too high. But if you come out and offer a huge mark up to a figure then we will all assume your just trying to cash in on the hype. Especially if you are a new poster that has no repuation with anyone.

My point is if anyone wanted to pay that much for a figure they would go to Ebay and bid on one. (I wouldnt pay that for a figure which is why i havent)

We come to our TNI Forums for Help not to get shafted. We all would go to Ebay to get our stuff but but we come here for the honor among collectors with the thought that maybe just maybe we can complete our collections for cost. Some of us do not live in Big Cities and dont get the toys like other places.

Define "scalping"

It may sound like I am trying to be an ass, but what if I have a complete Solomon Grundy C&C. What will HRB00 determine as the fair price for the board? What about a an extra Lex Luthor I picked up in a lot type auction of 10 figures I won for $15.00 total? How about a DCUC I bought at Phils Foodway for $13.95 instead of at Target for $8.99 when they had a temp price cut?

You seem to be taking this way too personally. thats my opinion. If you got a Grundy and you were gonna sell it how much you paid for the set of 5 to build him is fair, because if you were lucky to find them in stores you would have bought all 5 anyway...i bought one on Ebay for about $3 over cost after shipping because i couldnt find wave 3 any where. I was able to trade and purchase Nightwing, Robin, and GL for COST with RJones on this board!

And if you happend to score a Lex Luthor in a 10 figure lot for $15 you (#1 you got lucky and #2 would you try to make someone pay for the other 9 figures you got with the lex?? If you scored an extra Lex for WAAAYYY under cost why would you want to charge a fellow TNIer more than what you paid???)

Thats the point WHY CHARGE MORE THAN WHAT YOU PAID????

If you over bid on a figure on EBAY and got stuck with it then resell it on EBAY dont try to recoop your EBAY woes with someone who is looking for a figure at cost.

Actually, in HRB00's first post he specifically says that if he sees someone charging more then cost he will delete the post even if he doesn't have the authority to do so. Personally I think that is absolute crap for a mod to do unless JayC personally lists it in the TOS.

The funny thing about this is I am defending a persons choice to be an idiot, but the important point is it is his choice. Personally I think scalping is a big joke. A guy makes pennies on the dollar. For the hour he is going to waist to make a Net $5.00 or so he could make $10.00 working a real job.

If he starts the thread and wants to manage it in a certain way, then is its not his right to manage it as he sees with, using those Moderator powers?

You, or anyone else, can always start a thread that addresses the other side of the matter, with a free-for-all nature about it. Its not like what he's proposing excludes you completely.

If he starts the thread and wants to manage it in a certain way, then is its not his right to manage it as he sees with, using those Moderator powers?

You, or anyone else, can always start a thread that addresses the other side of the matter, with a free-for-all nature about it. Its not like what he's proposing excludes you completely.

I couldn't start a thread, because he says he will delete it.

Define "scalping"

You seem to be taking this way too personally. thats my opinion. If you got a Grundy and you were gonna sell it how much you paid for the set of 5 to build him is fair, because if you were lucky to find them in stores you would have bought all 5 anyway...i bought one on Ebay for about $3 over cost after shipping because i couldnt find wave 3 any where. I was able to trade and purchase Nightwing, Robin, and GL for COST with RJones on this board!

And if you happend to score a Lex Luthor in a 10 figure lot for $15 you (#1 you got lucky and #2 would you try to make someone pay for the other 9 figures you got with the lex?? If you scored an extra Lex for WAAAYYY under cost why would you want to charge a fellow TNIer more than what you paid???)

Thats the point WHY CHARGE MORE THAN WHAT YOU PAID????

If you over bid on a figure on EBAY and got stuck with it then resell it on EBAY dont try to recoop your EBAY woes with someone who is looking for a figure at cost.

I personally don't care about scalping. If I want something bad enough it is worth what I am willing to pay.

My beef is a mod saying they are going to delete posts that are not against the TOS.

If the TOS is the problem then I will rephrase my original post...

All Transactions for Figures must be done in the Trade Forum not in the DC Toys Discussions. All transaction post will be redirected to the Trade Forum.

The morale of the story to me is that if someone is looking to profit then they should go to ebay, fair trades and sales can happen here. You cannot say the marking a 12 dollar fig up 50% is not scalping especially when you offer it in a site where yoy know people are looking for it. Stop bbeing so butt hurt about it......

The morale of the story to me is that if someone is looking to profit then they should go to ebay, fair trades and sales can happen here. You cannot say the marking a 12 dollar fig up 50% is not scalping especially when you offer it in a site where yoy know people are looking for it. Stop bbeing so butt hurt about it......

If you even attempted to read the thread you would know that scalping was not my issue. At this point HRB00 came up with what I feel is a much better way of moding the boards about scalping. Keeping sale threads off the DC board and putting them where they belong in the Trade forum is better then censoring someones speech. You of all people should appreciate that.

At this point my beef is over. Now carry on. There is nothing to see here.

And by the way a scalper is a dic who is trying to make a million bucks off every wave that comes out. they could careless about who is in it or really not concerned with anything other than marking up a set as high as they can that why these are going for 200 or around that instead of maybe just makeing an extra 20. They want to make an extra 50 to 60 bucks which isn't right yea you can do what ever thats why this country is great but again you can do whatever which makes it not so great at times.

if you find a set at retail it will run you about 70 bucks so to sell a set for 100 is not that out of the way but when its 150 or 200 plus shipping thats just not fair or right in my eyes anyway

a scalper's power is given to him by the collectors. if you dont pay those dumb-ass prices, then the item just sits in the scalper's basement, or the scalper sells the item for a more reasonable pirce.

a scalper's power is given to him by the collectors. if you dont pay those dumb-ass prices, then the item just sits in the scalper's basement, or the scalper sells the item for a more reasonable pirce.

Agreed and i don't but the mans point is don't bring that weak azz shhhh in here lol