Old/New Comparison - GI Joe Greatest Battles

This was an interesting set to find. I was a fan of the GI Joe Vs. Cobra/Spy Troops/Valor Vs. Venom era. These "new sculpts" were a fresh, modern take on GI Joe for their time (wow, I can't believe it's already been almost ten years since GVC). I very much welcomed the 25th Anniversary line because with it, I feel they'd finally developed a good sculpt and articulation style for GI Joe today. Only problem is it focused on the classic designs, and not a modern take on the GI Joe Universe. Although we do have that now with Resolute, and of course the upcoming live action movie, The Rise Of Cobra.

What the Greatest Battles set does is takes the GI Joe Vs. Cobra/Spy Troops/Valor Vs. Venom era and upgrades their sculpt and articulation. Yeah, it's kinda lazy, just Frankensteined and repainted parts from recent 25th Anniversary figures, but it's a good effort anyway, and a nice treat for those of us that liked the "new sculpts". Two of my favorite design updates were Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow from GI Joe Vs. Cobra. Unfortunately, they were plagued with T-crotches. Cobra Commander later got an O-ring fix, but never Storm Shadow.

The box art features all Valor Vs. Venom designs of the characters, but not all the figures are actually based on their Valor Vs. Venom designs.

g9_2009_02-14_001b.jpg

Snake Eyes is the only one based on Valor Vs. Venom design (the actual figure, not the version seen on the box art, that version was never made into a figure). I was never a big fan of the 1989 version 3 Snake Eyes, this remake uses the25th Anniversary update of the version 3 Snake Eyes as a base. And for the most part, it works well as a remake of the Valor Vs. Venom Snake Eyes. I just don't like the crossed knives on his chest (they can be removed but then there's a hole on his chest). Furthermore, he didn't come with the goggles that attaches to the right side of his head, so there's a visible hole in his head, haha!

g9_2009_02-14_003b.jpg

Duke is based on his Spy Troops design, which was a nice update for Duke. This one didn't work out so well. The colors work as a remake of Spy Troops Duke, but the parts aren't so great and comes off looking like a boring figure... With huge hips and a small head.

g9_2009_02-14_004b.jpg

The GI Joe Vs. Cobra Storm Shadow was a great character update. Although the actual figure didn't live up to the design as seen in the card/box/promo art, it was still okay with the exception of the T-crotch. This remake is near perfect, it not only lives up to its GVC design, but improves on it also. This will be my definitive Storm Shadow for the time being.

g9_2009_02-14_005b.jpg

And now we have Cobra Commander. Like Storm Shadow, I thought the GI Joe Vs. Cobra update was a great modern incarnation of the Commander. This remake bests that. Not much to say other than he's totally awesome, as bad ass as Cobra Commander should be. Definitely becoming my definitive Cobra Commander figure!

g9_2009_02-14_006b.jpg

As for the DVD, nothing great. It just takes clips from the Spy Troops and Valor Vs. Venom animated movies, as well as the Ninja Battles DVD.

All in all, a good set if you were a fan of the "new sculpt" era, and like the 25th Anniversary style. For me, the Snake Eyes and Duke are not so good, while the Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander in this set rock!

- Diesel

Duke's head looks to small, does his vest come off. and does Storm Shadow have any Cobra markings? I agree with you on CC, I think that might be the best version of Hooded CC Hasbro has done to date.

Duke's head looks to small, does his vest come off. and does Storm Shadow have any Cobra markings? I agree with you on CC, I think that might be the best version of Hooded CC Hasbro has done to date.

Jay, Duke's vest is removable. But, without the added bulk of the vest, it makes those hips look even bigger. :D

No Cobra markings on Storm Shadow.

The comic pack version of this CC is great, but I think with the color changes, this one is a little better. The different boots also make him a little more battle-ready.

Yeah, nice job with the pictorial and review DM. :)

That said, I doubt I'll bother with this set. Nothing "must have" within it....imo.

thanks for the side by side pics. I've said my peice about the before, and i'm not a fan of this set. Aside from Se i think your side by side shows the designs (not the articulation w/ bulky rivets etc.) were better on the original figs.

Good to know i'm not missing much with the dvd either.