Has DC Universe Classics surpassed all other comic toy lines??

Lady Jaye

at least DCUC has consistency.

you can expect the exact same articulation on each and every figure.

And you can expect the EXACT SAME FIGURE on each and every figure, lol.

At least we don't have to expect Men in dragged dress up as White Queen and scarlet witch like ML.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o lawd, DoomSaber! Please don't bring up Scarlet Witch, Dayum!

ok for those of you that haven't, whatever you do, don't look behind that Scarlet Witch head, it's awful!

For sure the DCUC women are lookin better than ML right now, and i've got 95% of the ML figs.

at least DCUC has consistency.

you can expect the exact same articulation on each and every figure.

And you can expect the EXACT SAME FIGURE on each and every figure, lol.

At least we don't have to expect Men in dragged dress up as White Queen and scarlet witch like ML.

or over articulated, poorly sculpted, cant hold the weapons, out of scale figures either. hey...if ya dont like dcuc .....dont buy'em. crying about the fact that they use the same sculpts 7 waves into it is stupid.

Im a DC guy. I always will, but in truth, I would like to see Captain America in a DCUC Buck Body, I imagined the Atom was Captain America even gave him the shield, it just looked right. The same buck just seems perfect. They have enough articulation to move around but it doesnt hurt the sculpt. Yes maybe Toybiz painted them better, yes we do have the distrubing problems. But just playing with the toys, DCUC are better, I do wish another Company produced them. But the fact that they all hold there weapons right(except Harley) and they stay standing, (other than the HUlk none of my MLs stand anymore, well actually some never did.) DCUC are better and have surpassed any other comic toy line. 90% of it was the Four Horsemens Work. Period. I still hate Mattle.

P.S. JLU was crap I rather buy THe Powers Line any day, (I wasnt even alive when it came out.)

OK, kids. now we go back to history class @hmmm@

Back in the 70's there existed a toy company that owned the rights of BOTH DC & MARVEL (among other fictional charaters & tv-movie related) rights. It's name was MEGO.

What MEGO did back then was the first step of research, development and manufacturing action figures that is so acclaimed and hated today. It's called a RE-DECO (retool or repaint).

Back then, the ACTION FIGURES shared all almost, the same body, at an strategic 7 to 8 inches, aimed to Children (and also, some not too children too) so the SUPERHEROES from both companies could take flight just like BUZZ LIGHTYEAR's metaphoric war cry - AL INFINITO Y AL MAS ALLÁ!!!!!!

Then the Industry was taken by storm in 1977 by a MEGA POP CULTURE PHENOMENON that radically changed the lives of almost every kid and teenager from that decade, maybe you have heard of it, it was called STAR WARS.

With StarWars, a not so popular known toy company called Kenner became the forefront of the toy business by acquiring the master license for SW products and LITERALLY, taking MEGO out of business; how?. by manufacturing a particullary new scale for the Action Figure toy standards, the now popular 3-3/4". It was this appeal that began the utterly "craze" about hunting and collecting an action figure, that has defined a MODUS VIVENDI for almost all of us, up to this day.

MEGO didn't went out without a fight, as they produced the "POCKET SUPER HEROES", so that SUPERMAN & SPIDER-MAN could "fight" DARTH VADER and the "Evil Empire". Then again, guess who won.

Super Heroes went to a Comic Oblivion in the Toy Aisles, giving room to other 3-3/4" colectible lines like StarTrek,BuckRogers,G.I.JOE, et al.; new great concepts like TRANSFORMERS, MOTU and THUNDERCATS, but the superheroes were not to be found for almost a decade.

By 1984, There was a bright spot in the Horizon, an EXCELLENT ACTION FIGURE LINE that broke away the standard 3-3/4" and that featured INNOVATIVE POWERED ACTION FIGURES in every toy, An ABSOLUTELY COLLECTIBLE TOY LINE that was called THE SUPER POWERS COLLECTION, which starred ALL the main guns in the DC stable, rendered in a cosistent and finely sculpted 5" scale with a great comic book likeness that starred the "Trigger action power" of IMAGINATION, that is apreciated and demanded by modern collectors today.

The appeal for this line was not only because it featured the long missed Comic SH, but it also gave the Kids a new fresh type of toys to collect. A trend that Kenner-Hasbro kept doing until the next decade.

MATTEL also tried to jump on the boat that Kenner had constructed, by manufacturing their MARVEL SH SECRET WARS, but it was doomed from the begining, 'cause their poor materials, not accurate likeness, and being a BAD COPY of what MEGO did in the process of re-decoing a figure. BUT it didn't mean that it wasn't a collectible line either, the body structure was consistent with each fig produced but nevertheless they were weak figures; That MISTAKE kept the Marvel franchise in Toy aisle oblivion for the rest of the decade. It was a mistake that MATTEL wouldn't commit a second time.

By 1991, an UNKNOWN toy company called TOYBIZ created the first in a LEGION TO COME Marvel Super Heroes, this time this toys weren't just re--decos of each other, they were NEW MOLDS for every figure produced, just like what Kenner did with the then extinct SUPERPOWERS line. HISTORY repeated itself one more time.

TOYBIZ RESURRECTED THE Super Hero trend, by producing almost every Marvel Character in the 90's MU stable, but they weren't alone, MARVEL COMICS were backing them up! It was a NO WAY BACK to the toy oblivion.

When KENNER was bought by HASBRO, the DC master License wasn't in the sight for the TOY Company, If it didn't had a BAT on the chest, then it wasn't worth selling. This MISTAKE allowed the Marvel Figs. to became the No.1 SH toys in the Market for the entire 90's decade.

When Hasbro realized about this mistake, they began producing the TOTAL JUSTICE COLLECTION, this figures LACKED ALL the appeal the SPColl had back in the 80's, besides of it being a collection of BETTER figures, they created the trend for what we now refer to "brick or static figures", this is for their lack of articulation and anatomically disproportionated sculpting.

Hasbro choked and killed the DC Master Toy license with "too many of the same" (Hundreds of re-paints of the same Bati-figure) a MISTAKE they keep doing to this day with other toy line, the TRANSFORMERS toy line (PUN INTENDED), and eventually lost the license.

But not everything wasn't lost, DC COMICS took DIRECT action against this Toy marketing and created the DCDIRECT brand, a branch depending exclusively from DCCOMICS.

It was MARVEL's TOYBIZ(ness) vs. DCDIRECT(ly) facing front to front in the Plastic Kingdom.....

Only this time there was "a new kid on the block", A mr. TODD McFARLANE with his independant creation, SPAWN.

Mr. McFarlane capitalized in all the comicdoms fandom and clamor for a Mature Collectible Action Figure toys that had the ComicBook likeness and the Innovative feeling of ayore. (a SuperPowers flashback?).

The SPAWN toyline featured NEW and Modern comicbook characters that were created by the NEW talents of the Comicbook industry at that time; it was an age of renewal, a new dawn for many of us as comic fans and selected toys collectors.

SPAWN toys made honor to its name and "spawned" a new kind of AF, the 6 to 7 inches high with multiple (and different) points of articulation, with super HIGHLY DETAILED accessories and likenesses.

The line was an instant hit with collectors and kids alike; the TOYBIZness was about to met its demise.

But this time they were going to fight harder. By Y2K, Marvel had studied the kids and Collectors market and decided to upgrade to the next level, the "McFarlane" level; and so did DC.

Although DC became more careful with the toys maket, by introducing DCD 7" collectible action figures to the actual growing hobby collectors, those new figures were not to be sold at retail.

It was time for MARVEL to reclaim its crown and birthright throne, and they just needed to create an army that had to become LEGENDARY to overcome the task.

The MARVEL LEGENDS began as an experiment in the final days of the 5" Marvel TBis figs. An experimentation that ultimately lead to the new standard in ACTION FIGURE development. Bigger, Better, Improved, Articulated and Desired toys. New 6" Action Figures compatible with other toy figs (SPAWN, WILDCATS, Japanese, etc) but this time they had an edge in technology, the package description had a written sticker "WITH 24 POINTS OF ARTICULATION", and History was made. #US1#

The ML were not perfect after all, they had a weak spot, and that spot was the detail, or was it "details"?

Details in sculpting and Paint applications were very noticed by collectors, but ALL the FANDOM were happy with their toys. Besides the "pin" heads, the "monkey" arms and the "JP manga" hands.

Those Details were a small dicease that would grow until it would kill off the line.

DC had its part also, the DCDIRECT figures had seen a though competition through the MARVEL LEGENDS AGE, besides of offering DC ACTION FIGS to mass retailers, they kept silent, watching and waiting until the right time.

And the RIGHT TIME has been NOW.

After TOYBIZ has been closed by MARVEL and HASBRO didn't and doesn't care about its Toy's QUALITY affairs and McFarlane toys had become a Comic Hobby commodity. It SEEMS that MATTEL is beginning to capitalize in the 6" format, learning from its opponents' mistakes and triumphs, and they are doing it VERY WELL.

As far as it looks, MATTEL has all the pros to turn the DCUClassics into the BEST SUPERHERO ACTION FIGURE toy line since the KENNER SUPERPOWERS and TOYBIZ MARVEL LEGENDS figures. That is if they can reach the ever growing worldwide appeal and demand for its product.

But not everything is written in stone, HASBRO is about to show the Competition and Modern Comic ToyFan collectors, why they are called "The Masters of 3-3/4"" with the soon to be LEGENDARY Marvel Universe franchise.

MATTEL's next step to counterfit on this matter will be an interesting one, that is if they ever lift from the ground their DCUIH figures.

History tends to repeat itself, but as Charles Darwing depicted in the "evolution of the Species", everything is about "Survival of the Fittest".

Janmugar Prime, after reading ur post, DCUC, as a toyline, and IMO, is the result of evolution. Sculpt and articulation don´t interfer with looks and functionality. Let´s see how action figure history keeps evolving and who knows, in the future, maybe there will be a different plastic and tecnique to craft figures that will make look most of our actual figures look like crap in the future.

By 1991, an UNKNOWN toy company called TOYBIZ created the first in a LEGION TO COME Marvel Super Heroes, this time this toys weren't just re--decos of each other, they were NEW MOLDS for every figure produced, just like what Kenner did with the then extinct SUPERPOWERS line. HISTORY repeated itself one more time.

Heh, Toybiz debuted with a line dedicated to the Batman movie, and then fielded DC Superheroes character, most of which were re-used ( and bad castings of) Kenner Super Powers figures.

Might want to re-check some of that "history" of yours. ;)

Heh, Toybiz debuted with a line dedicated to the Batman movie, and then fielded DC Superheroes character, most of which were re-used ( and bad castings of) Kenner Super Powers figures.

Might want to re-check some of that "history" of yours. ;)

Yes, you are right, absolutely right.

TOYBIZ indeed began in 1989, acquiring the Franchise of the Tim Burton's BATMAN movie. I didn't want to delve in so much history with that, 'cause those toys were bad photocopies of the SUPERPOWERS and the new molds that were created for that DC Superheroes are very weak. But, then again, by today standards, VERY COLLECTIBLE. (I still want to get that HAWKMAN figure that i passed for those crappy wings, damn!)

Janmugar Prime, after reading ur post, DCUC, as a toyline, and IMO, is the result of evolution. Sculpt and articulation don´t interfer with looks and functionality.

Today it doesn't, but those days...Man. What a terrible pieces of crap there were in the toy aisles.

Marvel's TOYBIZ AF. (and i don't mean MARVEL LEGENDS) are full of these examples. Rigid necks, straight arms, buffy bodyworks, bad anatomy depicted, etc.

I still remember those GIJOE NINJA FORCE that were available in the last wave of figs. SNAKE-EYES & SCARLETT. Too good for them that i am (still) a completist.

Hey, Janmugar, something else to add to action figure history...the first attempt of a super articulated figure was spiderman, from the Spiderman Animated series. It was called Super Articulated Spider-man, I guess, prior to the Spider-man classics which lead to Legends

Hey, Janmugar, something else to add to action figure history...the first attempt of a super articulated figure was spiderman, from the Spiderman Animated series. It was called Super Articulated Spider-man, I guess, prior to the Spider-man classics which lead to Legends

Super Articulated Sm isn't the company's first attempt. Before the animated toy, Toybiz created a

super-articulated one for the marvel superheroes line called Multijointed Spiderman.

Multi-jointed Spiderman

567.jpg

Super poseable spiderman

305.jpg

images from http://www.marveltoys.net/

Also, the 3 3/4 line used in Kenner's Star Wars wasn't the first. The first was the Micronauts/Microman line which was created by Japanese company, Takara, in 74. Mego released them in the US as Micronauts in 76.

Originally, Microman started out as Henshin Cyborgs, which are 8 and 12 inches action figures that uses the Combat Joe(Gi joe) sculpts. Because the size and cost of producing the toys were expensive, Takara invented the 3.75 line by making a minuture Henshin Cyborg toy and renaming it as Microman. Unlike the henshin Cyborgs and Combat Joe, the Microman bod uses an O-ring and T hooks.

Hasbro then used the microman construction to make the 3.75 Gi joe line.

Star wars action figures came out in 77

Just pointin that out in case ppl assume that kenner invented the 3.75 line.

Janmuger, I read your history on action figures and they seem wrong.

For isntance, DC Direct started making DC toys back in 98, after McFarlane toys was out making toys for the odler collector.

Also, there is no mention of how Toy Biz, with the success of their Marvel toy line was able to buy MArvel Enterprise, hence why Marvel comics and Toybiz are owned by the same parent company.

Janmuger, I read your history on action figures and they seem wrong.

For isntance, DC Direct started making DC toys back in 98, after McFarlane toys was out making toys for the odler collector.

Also, there is no mention of how Toy Biz, with the success of their Marvel toy line was able to buy MArvel Enterprise, hence why Marvel comics and Toybiz are owned by the same parent company.

Indeed, McFarlane began in 1994 and DC Direct in 1998, last year was its 20th Anniv.

I forgot to write an "already was a new kid on the block" in my text. Thank U.

Yes, it was the life saver of MC, and that's why it is also so very annoying why they lose the rights to keep producing the Marvel Legends toys. I (again) didn't want to delve into much details; only the neccesary to point out this topic.

Super Articulated Sm isn't the company's first attempt. Before the animated toy, Toybiz created a

super-articulated one for the marvel superheroes line called Multijointed Spiderman.

Multi-jointed Spiderman

567.jpg

Super poseable spiderman

305.jpg

images from http://www.marveltoys.net/

It has 15 POA, and one of a poor redeco/sculpting from the previous figure (Spider-man w/spider-tracer). But anyways, the first great attempt for a multi-articulated figure back in 1992-93.

Also, the 3 3/4 line used in Kenner's Star Wars wasn't the first. The first was the Micronauts/Microman line which was created by Japanese company, Takara, in 74. Mego released them in the US as Micronauts in 76.

Originally, Microman started out as Henshin Cyborgs, which are 8 and 12 inches action figures that uses the Combat Joe(Gi joe) sculpts. Because the size and cost of producing the toys were expensive, Takara invented the 3.75 line by making a minuture Henshin Cyborg toy and renaming it as Microman. Unlike the henshin Cyborgs and Combat Joe, the Microman bod uses an O-ring and T hooks.

I want to thank you all for reading my post reply and trying to fill some voids i didn't type or got acknowledged, but i only tried to focus on Super Heroes although i failed in some pharagraphs.

We have been talking about North American toy's evolution, and not Japanese toy's evolution.

Yes, the micronauts and Microman lines are prior to SW, but hey, i bet all the kids from that decade remember more fondly about DARTH VADER, than ACROYEAR or BARON KARZA.

I do.

However since growing up my opinions have changed and I find Marvel has better characters in general.

I found the opposite to be true. I used to read a lot more Marvel when I was younger, but I lost interest in almost all of Marvel's characters shortly after leaving high school. I had always read a fair amount of DC, but now my ratio is probably 15-20 to 1 in favor of DC as far as books I buy every month. In fact I think at this point the only monthly Marvel I buy is Punisher...and since Garth Ennis left it, I might be giving that one up as well.

I want to thank you all for reading my post reply and trying to fill some voids i didn't type or got acknowledged, but i only tried to focus on Super Heroes although i failed in some pharagraphs.

We have been talking about North American toy's evolution, and not Japanese toy's evolution.

Yes, the micronauts and Microman lines are prior to SW, but hey, i bet all the kids from that decade remember more fondly about DARTH VADER, than ACROYEAR or BARON KARZA.

I do.

Who said I was mainly talking about japanese evolution? I was just putting out Takara's Microman to point out that the american version came out a new before Stara wars, hence NOT making it a toyline in Japanese evolution. The toyline HaS came out in the US as Micronauts in Mego. You just made it sounds as if Kenner made the 3.75 inch lines, which they didn't. I am sure when they were makin the SW line, they probably seen Mego's Micronauts line at a toy show or something. Sure, Vader is more popular than Acroyear, but that isn't the point. Resident Evil is more than Capcom's first japanese exclusive suvivor horror game called Sweet Home. However, when game sites like Gametrailers talk about the origins of Resident Evil, they talk about Sweet Home first since it was the game which Resident Evil was loosly based on. Not many people know what the hell Sweet Home is since it is a game that was never released outside of Japan.

But if you do a history on survival games in the us or something, it is probably wise to mention it much like it is wise to mention the various japanese and asian 12 inch toy companies that inspired Toybiz to create Marvel Legends.

It is like if you are writing about the evolution in Videogames in America like the Xbox or the CDI you have to include some of the japanese companies that lead to the creation of the system.

When you write history, but be bias and only mention the more popular things out there. I mean if you add other stuff in it then things you love, it makes your statement sound less bias and more informational

interesting outline Janmguar Prime

you did forget the original 12-inch GI Joe, which led us into the Mego era

You forgot the Micronauts which were the 1st set of multi-scale figures that had super-articualtion for its time and interchangeable parts, plus various vehicles

you forgot to mention how awesomely sculpted the super stiff Total Justice figs were

and how after Toybiz shifted from Batman to Marvel in general, they began to add increased size in scale until the 6"-ich format was the norm

Also the true Masters of the "buck" after Mego was Mattel: Just look @ Barbie and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

Aside from that, great article

interesting outline Janmguar Prime

you did forget the original 12-inch GI Joe, which led us into the Mego era

You forgot the Micronauts which were the 1st set of multi-scale figures that had super-articualtion for its time and interchangeable parts, plus various vehicles

you forgot to mention how awesomely sculpted the super stiff Total Justice figs were

and how after Toybiz shifted from Batman to Marvel in general, they began to add increased size in scale until the 6"-ich format was the norm

Also the true Masters of the "buck" after Mego was Mattel: Just look @ Barbie and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!!!

Aside from that, great article

Yes, I forgot about the Superarticulated 12" GIJOES from 1964 to 1975-76, about the 1977-1980 SuperJOES who were at 8 1/2" (just like the MEGOS) that featured lights and sounds (GRAT features for that era), about Kenner's SIXMILLIONDOLLARMAN and BIONIC WOMAN 12" figs., about the Mattel's BIGJIM figures (a.k.a. KID ACERO here in Mexico), about the MAJOR MATT MASON action figures ( I had the SCORPIO and the "Martian") and several other great BOYS toylines from the 70's.

The original MOTU is considered as the third BEST action figure line of the 80's (Transformers is first and GIJOE is second) and we are not talking about money here. We're talking about Nostalgia here.

My focus was mainly on SuperHeroes. but we can discuss about any other toylines anyday you want.

I welcome You and anybody who wants to.

Well I was a bit dissapointed in what was shown at NYCC!!! One wave only left me wanting to see more!! I guess SDCC is where it's all at, not even Toy Fair showed a thing!!! I bet once we see what is coming out, we'll be left with not only our jaws on the floor, but having DCUC closer to their goal of surpassing both revered lines!!!

And the really good article in Toy Fair shows how much the guys at DCUC love the Super Powers!!! Pick it up if you haven't !!!!

Well I was a bit dissapointed in what was shown at NYCC!!! One wave only left me wanting to see more!! I guess SDCC is where it's all at, not even Toy Fair showed a thing!!! I bet once we see what is coming out, we'll be left with not only our jaws on the floor, but having DCUC closer to their goal of surpassing both revered lines!!!

And the really good article in Toy Fair shows how much the guys at DCUC love the Super Powers!!! Pick it up if you haven't !!!!

In fact, when Thae 4Horsemen were interviewed in a Popular Toy magazine (NOT Toyfare) about 3 years ago, and they stated that their main inspiration for this line, IS the SUPERPOWERS Collection from the begining; that's why the 4th wave of DCSuperheroes S3, had the Roboskullish BRAINIAC, DARKSEID in blue colors, and LUTHOR in his Lexor battle armor (although this one is a cool upgrade).

Now all we can do is see if the old SAMURAI, CYCLOTRON, or the GOLDEN PHARAOH, are made in this line; and maybe if all the others "who were to be" prototypes that have surfaced over the years, will.

The Wonder Twins were some of the "wannabes" for the unproduced SPC, and it looks like they will finally see the daylight. Now how about the coolish SILICON, SHOCKWAVE (a Booster Gold's rogue) or Mr. MXYZPTLK for other "wannabes"?

Well obvioiusly without reading any magazine their reverence for the line is apparent with the inclusion of the Super Powers Parademon in the upcoming wave!! From that first sighting, you could see the love they have for the classic line!! And with the leaked pics of Zan and Jayna, perhaps a love of the old cartoon!! Which in turn will hopefully mean we will get figures of characters we thought we would never see again, both from the cartoon and line!!

I really don't understand the argument that they all share the same body. If it cuts costs, why not? All the characters are drawn with similar body types in the comics too. And the characters that need different bodies (Aquaman, Deathstroke, Hawkman, etc) get them.

Well obvioiusly without reading any magazine their reverence for the line is apparent with the inclusion of the Super Powers Parademon in the upcoming wave!! From that first sighting, you could see the love they have for the classic line!! And with the leaked pics of Zan and Jayna, perhaps a love of the old cartoon!! Which in turn will hopefully mean we will get figures of characters we thought we would never see again, both from the cartoon and line!!

Well, obiously you should read more.

I believe that there's 90% we will get those DC Superfriends you refer to somewhere in future waves or as exclusives.

Black Vulcan, Samurai, the Wonder Twins and el Dorado were planned figures for the 4th wave of Super Powers back in the 80's, so How about a wave of those figs. with a BAF Apache Chief.

The DCUnltd. wil get figures for 3 of them (Samurai, Vulcan and Apache). so the odds are very favorable.

post-7426-1235921951_thumb.jpg

Now how about some Legion of Super Heroes in future waves?