Has DC Universe Classics surpassed all other comic toy lines??

Lady Jaye

yeah, i seem to remember a major #$#@# storm every time a new ML wave came out about how terrible they were to find in stores and how many CQ issues there were, and now a lot of you are preaching about them like that stuff never happened. i liked ML as much as the next guy, but it most certainly wasn't a perfect toy line

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

Oh hell no IMO Marvel plays second fiddle to DC at least DC wasn't almost out of business afew years ago

Actually Marvel has the lame ass characters

The Avengers for one we know about maybe three then we see some idiots still dressed in there 1960's costumes and not even updated

At least we know the JLA member

There are more references to DC characters then any Marvel ones in pop culture hell even Supes has a song

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

Hell make mine DC at least I can find DC toons on TV

Thats my opinion

I'm not going to debate it

I'm speaking strictly about the main topic, not distribution, QC issues, etc, I'm talking based on sculpt, articulation. character selection & scale. IMO, the DCUC in just a little over 13 months is very close to being the greatest superhero action figure line ever!

TB held that title for a few yrs, but their oversaturation of Spidey/Wolvy/Ironman/Hulk figures really started to wear thin after a while. Many, many more deserving MU characters got the shaft due to TB wanting to do so many multiple versions of the big 4. From 2002 till now, where the heck are Gladiator & other members of the Imperial Guard, Hyperion & the rest of the Squadron Supreme, the rest of Alpha Flight, Ironman's awesome vilians rogue gallery, Avengers such as Starfox, Quasar, Swordsman, Mockingbird, US Agent? Where are Thor's enemies such as Ulik, Kurse, BAF Surtur, frost Giants? All those could have been done if not for the army of variant, SpiderIroncaphulks that were thrown out in almost every single wave or every other wave.

The huge exclusion of major MU villians asides from Spiderman enemies really Pissed me off, it's like those were the only villians that rated to be done.

ML sculpts were very well done for the most part, but they really dropped the ball by using puny body sculpts on characters that rated to be a bit bigger sculpts such as Hawkeye, Vision, Taskmaster, characters that are 6'3 230lbs & built like Cap, got spiderman type sculpts!?

The vast majority of their females are on the ugly side & were as tall as the male characters that are 6+ in the comics. Funny how now that Hasbro does some females in a smaller more accurate scale, people complain they are too tiny.

Bishop was too big as was Beast, So TB was not always perfect in the scale dept either. Hasbro made an aweful Hercules even worse by making him to tall as well & now they have started to make figs that are supposed to be 6 inches tall, look 5 1/2 tall, puny with pin sized heads. Tarantula for example.

C'mon people, I loved & collected SP back in the 80s as well, but to say those 5-6 POA figs are still better than the DCUC line is laughable. Sure they came with vehicles, playsets, but back then those things were affordable, today they probably wouldn't be.

IMO, the 4HM are among the best sculpters in the business & I'm so grateful they are the ones doing the DC line. To me their sculpts look like they jumped off the pages, with their vibrant colors, attention to costume details & for the vast part, great scale compatability. Much as it irrated me to have Shrimpestro. Oversized Lobo, slightly on the small size Captain Cold & I guess, for most people, a too tiny kid Flash, they have done a great job in keeping the line very scale compatible. The POA Imo is perfect, no need for every single finger/toe, half foot to be articulated, just made the figure look wonky marionettes & as time passed, hard to stay standing. Who here can easily stand their Angel fig with his wings on as easy as the wave 6 Hawkman?

The " kids by this line " card is so played out, it's not funny! I am a father of 3 kids aged 14-11-10 & if it wasn't for me being a MU/DCU fanatic of comics/toys/cartoons & indoctrinating them in my passion/love for my hobby collection of superhero characters, they would know very, very little about the DC/MU. That is why they love & enjoy the hobby as much as I do. If the parents of some kids are not MU/DCU fans, have never collected in their lives a single DC/MU toy, watched the toons or read the comics, then chances are high their kids won't be into collecting ML/DCUC either due to having grown up w/o that as a part of their lives.

IMO, the people buying ML/DCUC are the ones that grew up playing with their MEGOs, Superpowers, Secret Wars figs & watched " The challenge of the Superfriends", & read/collected comics as youngsters themselves. Kids who have a dad or mom that grew up on these characters will be more into it than kids whose parents could give a flying doodoo about superheroes & always thought they were above that.

Every single time I go down the action figure Isles & have seen the ML/DCUC figs on the pegs, I have never seen a kid under 18 looking at them, it's me & a few other over 25+ guys checking them out, so to say these are "a kids line" is a crock of BS cuz what kids know who the heck Killer Moth & Ultraman are unless their parents have indoctrinated them withthe knowledge & love for the MU/DCU characters via cartoons/tys/comics. I got my 11yr old son the DCU encyclopedia for X-mas & he loves it! Just in the past 3 months his knowledge of the DCU has improved by leaps & bounds & he will tell me that he hopes that obscure characters such as Calanderman, Clock King( the one with a clock as a face) get made in the DCUC line.

The DCUC line is great cuz it's not afraid to make an obscure character in every wave such as KM, Gentleman Ghost & the 80s Vigilante whom I'm so stoked about cuz I knew he'd never get made in the SuperwonderGLBats centric DCD line which btw, DCUC has already surpassed in just 13 months.

DCUC has already done 80% of the greatest JLA era ever, the satellte team, only 3 core members to go, EM, Zee & Jonn' Jonzz & all 3 will be done within the next 4-6 waves IMO. The JSA is already 7 strong & the TT are coming along nicely. In 10yrs, DCD has never come close to giving us an entire team roster of any era that was scale compatible!

I'm pretty sure that once this line fully gets all the kinks out & establishes itself as an even bigger hit than it already is with collectors, Mattel will give the 4Hm the greenlight to start making a few more different sized buck bodies so not all the male characters will be the same exact hgt. I have no prob with a 6'0 character sharing a body sculpt with a 6'2 maybe even 6'3 character but someone with a more slender /smaller build like Nightwing who's 5'10-11 180lbs in the comics should not be as buff as Bats who's 6'2 225lbs.

We are now into wave 9 of this series & how many different Batman figures have they done? Just the crimestopper Bats in wave 1 plus the variant in the upcoming clayface 2 pack! DCD can't go 2 waves w/o shoving in another figure of Bats! We finally got a DCUC Supes in wave 6.

Just my 2 centavos, but IMO, the DCUC line will go down as the best superhero related action figure line ever!

When a person says Super Powers is a better line than DCUC, ya know they are speaking out of nostalga. I mean, other than you sayin that the vechicles were affordable back then, the toyline was also smaller and aimed for a different demographics.

Matel has have attempted to add vechicle in the six inch DC line, but not a lot of ppl bought it. I guess people have forgotten about the vechicles in the 2003 batman line.

It is unrealistic to say that if the DCUC series would surpass the SP line if they have vechicles since the DCUC scale is a lot bigger. I do not think many of us would actually go and buy vechicles if they were around 40-100 dollars at full price. I am sure most of us would wait till those goes on clearance but honestly, Mattel loses money once they go on clearance.

The super P0wers line is aimed for kids so having playsets and vechicles would be logical since they appeal to that demographics more. A lot of the playsets tends to be out of scale and are inaccurate to the source material. This is fine for kids since they play with their toys, but for an adult, a command base with only two walls and a small room would be unappealing.

Saying that the Super Powers line is better than the DCUC line is like saying the upcommin DC minis are better than the DCUC; Both havei vechicles and playsets.

When a person says Super Powers is a better line than DCUC, ya know they are speaking out of nostalga. I mean, other than you sayin that the vechicles were affordable back then, the toyline was also smaller and aimed for a different demographics.

Matel has have attempted to add vechicle in the six inch DC line, but not a lot of ppl bought it. I guess people have forgotten about the vechicles in the 2003 batman line.

It is unrealistic to say that if the DCUC series would surpass the SP line if they have vechicles since the DCUC scale is a lot bigger. I do not think many of us would actually go and buy vechicles if they were around 40-100 dollars at full price. I am sure most of us would wait till those goes on clearance but honestly, Mattel loses money once they go on clearance.

The super P0wers line is aimed for kids so having playsets and vechicles would be logical since they appeal to that demographics more. A lot of the playsets tends to be out of scale and are inaccurate to the source material. This is fine for kids since they play with their toys, but for an adult, a command base with only two walls and a small room would be unappealing.

Saying that the Super Powers line is better than the DCUC line is like saying the upcommin DC minis are better than the DCUC; Both havei vechicles and playsets.

How can you even say that. The Super Powers line was and if fantastic. They were the best super hero line even surpassing the marvel stuff in the 90's. The quality and basic sculpt were awesome. The quality alone is better than anything since, they had nice pack in comics also. The vehicles and playsets do help, Super Powers are the benchmark

As much as I love DC Universe, are the new sculpts so much greater?

spsuperman.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

DCUC%20Batman%202.JPGSuper_Powers_Batman_Small_C-9.5-.jpg

As much as I love DC Universe, are the new sculpts so much greater?

spsuperman.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

DCUC%20Batman%202.JPGSuper_Powers_Batman_Small_C-9.5-.jpg

Errr.......Is this a joke question?? Yes the newer sculpts are better. However, l am not so attatched to nostalga even though I grew up with the super powers line.

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

Oh hell no IMO Marvel plays second fiddle to DC at least DC wasn't almost out of business afew years ago

The Avengers for one we know about maybe three then we see some idiots still dressed in there 1960's costumes and not even updated

There are more references to DC characters then any Marvel ones in pop culture hell even Supes has a song

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

Thats my opinion

Well since you're not going to debate it then it doesn't matter what I say. @smilepunch@

No, but seriously Marvel is number one, it's as simple as that. They never went out of business, the stock split twice, making me enough money as a teenager to help buy my first car(thanks Marvel). Who's to say what would've happened to DC if they weren't gobbled up by the media giant Time Warner. And don't get me wrong, Marvel does have some horrible characters to boot (Starfox or Slapstick, anyone?), however DC has more of them.

And I don't know how you could claim that DC has more pop culture references, the Superman song you refer to is Sunshine Superman by Donavan from the 1966, I'm not sure how pop culture that is. It WAS pop culture more than forty years ago, now it's just a cheesy song that some people recognize.

As far as cartoons on TV, the new Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon has been released in Canada and has started to air here and kicks @$$, and Spider-Man has had a new cartoon start last year. Does DC even have a cartoon out right now? And I don't say that sarcastically...is JLU still on, I don't have cable. Or perhaps you reference the greatest super hero cartoon ever made: Krypto the Super Dog (now I am being sarcastic).

It's great that we're all debating about our faves and why, however Marvel remains the better company. DCUC is a great toy line, Marvel Legends is just better.

Has DCUC surpassed all other comic toy lines?

No. Not yet. It could.

DCUC has three great things going for it:

1. Great sculpts!

2. Great characters.

3. The willingness to do great unexpected and offbeat characters like the 80's Vigilante and Killer Moth.

Unfortunately the line was crippled at the start by two huge widely discussed problems:

1. Horribly poor quality control.

2. Even worse distribution.

I can't tell yet for sure if these problems have been resolved or not. I have been noticing Waves 4 turning up a lot and the last couple of figures I've bought haven't been broken, but unfortunately these problems were allowed to linger for more than the first three waves ad that built up a lot of ill-will. Twenty years from this moment, if I look back on DCUC, I'll be thinking, "Man! What a frustrating pain that line was!" My opinion could change. DCUC has a lot of great characters lined up so far for 09. If they can keep going, improve their quality control and their distribution, then they're well on their way to being the best toy line EVER!

Have they surpassed Super Powers?

Well,...yeah.

Super Powers had great characters and for the time, they had some passable sculpts, but then there was that super power action junk. You squeeze Superman's legs together and he milks a cow. You squeeze Robin's legs together and he waves at you. You break off Brainiac's arm and he does the can-can! I thought it was stupid then and it only made the figures unnecessarily flimsy.

I liked Super Powers back in the day. They'll always have a place in my heart, but I'd rather have DCUC all the way ...distribution problems and poor QC and all!

I would say DCUC has been better than ML since Hasbro took over the Marvel license, but the distribution on DCUC still sucks. And I'd appreciate a few more unique sculpts...maybe just one or two more...

As far as characters go, I have no idea who half of the upcoming DCUC characters are. But then again, I'm not a big DC fan outside the big guns.

Well since you're not going to debate it then it doesn't matter what I say. @smilepunch@

No, but seriously Marvel is number one, it's as simple as that. They never went out of business, the stock split twice, making me enough money as a teenager to help buy my first car(thanks Marvel). Who's to say what would've happened to DC if they weren't gobbled up by the media giant Time Warner. And don't get me wrong, Marvel does have some horrible characters to boot (Starfox or Slapstick, anyone?), however DC has more of them.

And I don't know how you could claim that DC has more pop culture references, the Superman song you refer to is Sunshine Superman by Donavan from the 1966, I'm not sure how pop culture that is. It WAS pop culture more than forty years ago, now it's just a cheesy song that some people recognize.

As far as cartoons on TV, the new Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon has been released in Canada and has started to air here and kicks @$$, and Spider-Man has had a new cartoon start last year. Does DC even have a cartoon out right now? And I don't say that sarcastically...is JLU still on, I don't have cable. Or perhaps you reference the greatest super hero cartoon ever made: Krypto the Super Dog (now I am being sarcastic).

It's great that we're all debating about our faves and why, however Marvel remains the better company. DCUC is a great toy line, Marvel Legends is just better.

Here are just a few songs about/inspired by SupermanIGN top 10 Superman Songs

And Marvel has never and probably will never have an animated series that holds a candle to Batman TAS and JLU. The 90's X-men was okay, but not even in the same ballpark.

Anyway, on topic, DCUC is going strong while Marvel Legends is petering out. But, we'll have to see where DCUC goes when it exhausts its heavy hitters. Only time will reveal the champion line.

I think it is fair to say that in terms of Articulation and Sculpt for 6 inch figures, Marvel Legends particularly ToyBiz started it all. And don't forget that they also started the BAF concept.

But now, DC Universe is on its way capturing the crown especially with Hasbro doing a crappy job with their Marvel line-up.

Never heard of the Sunshine Superman song. However, there are a lot more songs about the man of steel besides the 40 year old "Sunshine Superman." Five for Fighting did a song 4 yrs ago? about superman entitled "Superman (It's not easy)." It IS still popular and is still considered pop culture. Here is a vid link to the song in case you wanna check it out:

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/five+f...2086221k8pq6gRB

Here is a wiki article of the song if in case you need proof it is about sups and to see how popular it was during the year it was released:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(It%27s_Not_Easy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q233CxlIZtk

3 doors down did a song that refers to Superman called Kryptonite

So Wheeljack is correct that DC has more reference in popculture. Hell, just about every ep of Seinfield references Superman one way or another. Besides that, Buffy, the theme song of scrubs ("I am no superman" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGV4KO2Qkb4), and hell, even spiderman II? makes reference to superman.

Thats my opinion

Since Wheeljack isn't debating, I will. Your statement is fulls of holes.

First of all, Marvel almost went bankrupt back in the late 90s for milkin the different cover, same issue trend. Toybiz had to buy Marvel so as they do not go out of business. Here is the wiki article of Toybiz buyin Marvel Entertainment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToyBiz#The_story

Without Toybiz, Marvel would not be where it is today

As for the reference part, see my other post.

As for TV, I guess you never heard of smallville. WB also tried to do some pilot series like Aquaman and Grayson, which didn't get approved. As for cartoons, you are obviously bias since DC has several cartoons out that isn't Krypto the Superdog. There is Batman: Brave and the Bold. It is quite popular for kids and adults despite WB claiming the cartoon being toned down; it is as toned down as the 90s' Fantastic four cartoon or Beast Wars. There's also an upcomming wonder woman animated movie comming out that talked about everywhere. Other than that, the past cartoons that were popular are: The Bruce Timm DC cartoons [batman, superman, justice league, Justice Leage unlimtied, and static shock,] The Batman, and Teen Titans.

Marvel has the 90s' X-men, ironman, hulk, spiderman, and fantastic four.

Bottom line is that DC has more stuff on TV than Marvel Entertainment. Although DC only has the Nolan Batman movies for their mainstream superhero universe, they have a lot of the non DC universe movies like The Watchmen, V for Vandetta, Constantine, etc...

ive been reading a lot of post about how ML is better than dcuc...bull****! of the 300+ figs that marvel released, only half (if that many) are good. most MLs are clonky, over articulated, and poorly sculpted. not one ml female has been better sculpted than a DCU female fig, half of the MLs cant hold their weapons (until hasbro) and those big ball joints are just awful! not to mention their huge scale problem.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

TOYBIZ'S MARVEL LEGENDS OWN ANY AND EVERY DCUC FIGURE EVER MADE. 90% OF ML ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO EVERY DCUC FIGURE PERIOD. BETTER SCULPTS, BETTER ARTICULATION, TOY BIZ'S PAINT QUALITY AND ELABORATE WASHES MAKE DCUC LOOK LIKE FISHER PRICE. ALMOST EVERY DCUC FIGURE HAS THE EXACT SAME BODY. THAT IS AS PATHETIC AS IT GETS.

ive been reading a lot of post about how ML is better than dcuc...bull****! of the 300+ figs that marvel released, only half (if that many) are good. most MLs are clonky, over articulated, and poorly sculpted. not one ml female has been better sculpted than a DCU female fig, half of the MLs cant hold their weapons (until hasbro) and those big ball joints are just awful! not to mention their huge scale problem.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

TOYBIZ'S MARVEL LEGENDS OWN ANY AND EVERY DCUC FIGURE EVER MADE. 90% OF ML ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE TO EVERY DCUC FIGURE PERIOD. BETTER SCULPTS, BETTER ARTICULATION, TOY BIZ'S PAINT QUALITY AND ELABORATE WASHES MAKE DCUC LOOK LIKE FISHER PRICE. ALMOST EVERY DCUC FIGURE HAS THE EXACT SAME BODY. THAT IS AS PATHETIC AS IT GETS.

And as usual, people distort the matter from whether something has "surpassed" other things to whether its "better" or not.

"Better" is largely a matter of personal taste, because one excludes certain aspects in favour of other preferred aspects.

In this case, many of the Marvel Legends figures feature re-used body parts of other figures--a point-of-fact that you overlook.

The similar body parts you refer to are derived from what's known as a "common buck"--which is to say a similar common set of proportions to a given part, and NOT a direct re-use of the same part over and over. So Superman, Batman, Aquaman, and Green Lantern will share the same proportionate sized torso......but its not the same part used over and over again.

And logically, they need not be different, because in the comics, they all had a similar build.

Marvel fields characters with a greater diversity of body shapes and sizes--and always has.

But that is just the difference between them, it makes neither any better.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I prefer the common bulk over a bunch of figures with scale problems, resultin in some superheroes like HML Silver Surfer lookin as if he was made for a different toyline.

I would say DCUC has been better than ML since Hasbro took over the Marvel license, but the distribution on DCUC still sucks. And I'd appreciate a few more unique sculpts...maybe just one or two more...

As far as characters go, I have no idea who half of the upcoming DCUC characters are. But then again, I'm not a big DC fan outside the big guns.

But if you compare Mattel with Hasbro, that's not fair. Mattel is finally starting a collectors 6" mass market line based on DC characters and Hasbro is continuing an already existing Marvel action figure line. It's hard to compare with one is new and fresh and the other stuggling with limited characters that havent been made.

Since Wheeljack isn't debating, I will. Your statement is fulls of holes.

First of all, Marvel almost went bankrupt back in the late 90s for milkin the different cover, same issue trend. Toybiz had to buy Marvel so as they do not go out of business. Here is the wiki article of Toybiz buyin Marvel Entertainment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToyBiz#The_story

Without Toybiz, Marvel would not be where it is today

As for the reference part, see my other post.

As for TV, I guess you never heard of smallville. WB also tried to do some pilot series like Aquaman and Grayson, which didn't get approved. As for cartoons, you are obviously bias since DC has several cartoons out that isn't Krypto the Superdog. There is Batman: Brave and the Bold. It is quite popular for kids and adults despite WB claiming the cartoon being toned down; it is as toned down as the 90s' Fantastic four cartoon or Beast Wars. There's also an upcomming wonder woman animated movie comming out that talked about everywhere. Other than that, the past cartoons that were popular are: The Bruce Timm DC cartoons [batman, superman, justice league, Justice Leage unlimtied, and static shock,] The Batman, and Teen Titans.

Marvel has the 90s' X-men, ironman, hulk, spiderman, and fantastic four.

Bottom line is that DC has more stuff on TV than Marvel Entertainment. Although DC only has the Nolan Batman movies for their mainstream superhero universe, they have a lot of the non DC universe movies like The Watchmen, V for Vandetta, Constantine, etc...

With all due respect I don't think my POV is full of holes. Yes, Marvel almost went bankrupt, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Like I said before, who knows if DC would have faced a similar situation if not bought up by Time Warner. I have heard of Smallville, and it's a good show, but we're not talking about live action, we were talking toons, of which both companies have plenty, and I will submit the win to DC in that front. BTAS and JLA are awesome cartoons, I'm not gonna dispute that. DC is an awesome company and I've probably been exposed to more DC as a kid (Super Friends/Powers) than Marvel. However since growing up my opinions have changed and I find Marvel has better characters in general. I enjoy some of the DCUC line, but know that after the classic characters are done I'll probably stop collecting. Marvel Legends are still awesome to this day.

You are 100% right!

You are 100% right!

not really, the world over there are no 3 more well known comic characters then Superman, Batman and Wonderwoman, thats not to say Marvel doesn't also have a ton of well knowns, but theres no contesting with the big 3 and "better company" is pure opinion so he can never be right to anybody but himself. and to say DC has more "lame" characters then marvel is also a fairly loaded statment as Marvel has just as many if not more useless lamers as DC does.