Has DC Universe Classics surpassed all other comic toy lines??

Lady Jaye

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

I feel that this is the most overused statement around. The whole "People recognize Marvel over DC" I feel is just wrong. I think in the place of comic fandom it is probably correct. In the case of Joe Public I think one would find it is the opposite.

I think if you just went to the everyday person on the street and showed them pictures of comic characters the ten most recognized would be (In no particular order:

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

9. Captian Marvel (Shazam is what they would call him)

10. Aquaman

Only 3 Marvel characters make my list with DC getting an additional boost from the link of Robin and Supergirl to the DC big guns. Other characters might be recognized, but I would wager that there names would not be known like Wolverine, Doc Octopus, Dr. Doom, Green Arrow, or Green Lantern.

Again, this is just my oppinion as I have not tried to prove my hypothisis.

I have to say Hell to the No on Captain Marvel. No way, no how.

The rest of the list is probably right though... but Wolverine definitely belongs in there somewhere.. and Ironman is worldwide now too.

Marvel Legends gets a big strike from me because the figures aren't definitive comic versions. It's like they all have a blackwash and a bit of a real-world update to them even if they're comic versions of the characters.

DCUC makes bright, brilliant-looking figures that look like they came straight off the comic page. That's why I think that if the line lasts for a few more years, it will surpass ML.

Shazam was all over in the 70's, so depending on age would matter for him. Nowadays, no kid knows who he is, but for adult collectors who knows. Hell my wife asked me last night if they made an Isis figure. Isis, talk about random and obscure, but she remembered the show from when she was a kid. TV really brings these things out. Have to agree on Iron Man, even before the movie he had a popular 90's cartoon.

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

I feel that this is the most overused statement around. The whole "People recognize Marvel over DC" I feel is just wrong. I think in the place of comic fandom it is probably correct. In the case of Joe Public I think one would find it is the opposite.

I think if you just went to the everyday person on the street and showed them pictures of comic characters the ten most recognized would be (In no particular order:

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

10. Aquaman

Only 3 Marvel characters make my list with DC getting an additional boost from the link of Robin and Supergirl to the DC big guns. Other characters might be recognized, but I would wager that there names would not be known like Wolverine, Doc Octopus, Dr. Doom, Green Arrow, or Green Lantern.

I have to say Hell to the No on Captain Marvel. No way, no how.

The rest of the list is probably right though... but Wolverine definitely belongs in there somewhere.. and Ironman is worldwide now too.

Being 35 and knowing/being friends with people my own age or older we accually had a coversation about "Shazam" Captain Marvel. I would pretty much place money on the fact that none of them would know who Wolverine is. Most of them have no interest in comics or pop culture. This is a good example of the group I am refering to by Joe Public.

Well DCUC Classic biggest problem still remains distribution. It don't matter how good the figures are if you can't find them on shelves. I can walk in to my local Target, Wal-Mart and TRU right now and almost guaranteed I won't see a single DCUC figure on the pegs. Another thing is I don't think in general DC Characters are as popular as Marvel ones. Once you get past DC's big 3 and other JLU members, DCU characters don't seem to have a lot of recognition with people beyond the hard core fans. I think Marvel with all the cartoons it had in the 90's allowed more than just the comic book readers to become familiar with their library of charcaters. As for the line itself, there is no doubt its a nice line. Is it better than say ML? There are aspects that are and aspects that aren't but over all I would put them on equal footing.

I could not agree more Jay i think that really sums it up in a nut shell. ML just had some really kool heroes which helped them get more known to alot of people. Its hard to dismiss spiderman hulk punisher venom wolverine and so on. marvel just had a good mix of real superheroes and reg people who did heroic things like punisher and also the mutant thing helped too. where as DC was mostly super based with only a few normals doing there thing and no real mutants in the DCU

Which brings up your point about being a diehard fan. I mean who really knows or crimson knight or comander steel. compared to lets say kang or vision. But what killed it or kills it for marvel is they pump out the same ol same 1000 differerent spidermans or wolverines that are almost the same body type and style. and in every wave.

No. Distribution is the worst thing happened to toy collecting. These figures are only found in US and it extremely hard to get outside US. The QC issues are horrible. There's a lot of stories with bad paint jobs, switched biceps or wrong biceps. Distribution and quality control really made DCUC fail from being the best. I do admit the sculpts and articulation aren't bad.

Strategy wise I have no idea what mattel is thinking. The toy line has only been up till 4 waves and they already plan to rerelease previous figures with wave 6 cases.

Mattel should do a subline for the Green Lantern universe. With all the new lantern teams showing up, the subline could be huge

Too bad we have never seen a Green Lantern Corps cartoon

We have seen JLU and Legion but whynot the GLC?

Because while the JLU can draw upon a variety of heroes the general public are aware of, and the Legion is filled with teen heroes (who still revere Superman), a GL series will only apeal to the fan. Not enough draw to be marketable. Sure, they have a myriad of characters, a la Ben 10, but they all have the same power.

Now if we had investor willing to create a pay channel specifically for comic hero programming, there you go. But you'd have to pay for it, and the way that goes is, unless it's a la carte, you pay for a package, which will invaribly cost way more than the one channel, meaning if you aren't interested in the rest of the package, you overpay for the one channel. Thanks, Comcast!

There's been a Green Lantern cartoon series before.

Filmation made one in the late 60's, early 70's.

Yes, but it only had 3 episodes.

There's been a Green Lantern cartoon series before.

Filmation made one in the late 60's, early 70's.

Yes, but it only had 3 episodes.

Still counts though. ;)

I believe there are some points we have to consider for both lines.

Sculpt:

ML Started GREAT with the first bulk bodies Cap and IM had, they´re "proportions" were more comic book based than the actual Paul Harding´s sculpts, which are more "real". To me, the transition from the first body sculpts to the newer skinny ones is what affected ML. Place Series 1 Cap America next to WM Jhonny Storm, and they seem to be from different lines.

Fault goes to Hasbro. Harding is a great sculptor but mattel Managed to shrunk the sculpts. FF Silver Surfer, Nemesis Punisher and Nemesis DD are from the same sculptor, and I can almost bet their sizes don´t match. ML, sculptwise, is a mess.

DCUC doesn´t have that problem, all their sculpts are consistent and uniform, thanks to Mattel´s vision of hiring a team of great sculptors.

These figs look , as some poster said, out of the pages of the comic books. Which leads me to point number two.

Paint:

From the figures I´ve got, online mostly, I haven´t had any sloppy paint apps, the eyes are always in their place, skin tones are not pale, colors are vibrant and, overall, no problems thereexcept for that weird wash on Red Tornado´s yellow lines. In general, they are correctly applied.

Marvel Legends goes the same way, except for recent Hasbro´s deliverings, like FF wave pale skin tones, some figs have washes, some don´t, the eyes on Hasbro´s figs are sometimes wrongly painted. TB´s paint apps were not that vibrant and brilliant, and it was unconsistant. Modern Armor IM paint was dark for my taste, Hulk has gone from different green tones,from olive to grass green.

Some figs got shades, and some didn´t, like GG. But then we have figs like Gren Hulk, from fing fang foom´s wave, which has great shading and a nice green tone.

DCUC is almost a hit when it comes to paint apps,while ML is a hit or miss.

Articulation:

ML, Period. One thing I love of ML is the double knee and elbow joints that help the figure to make more natural and dynamic poses. The toe and finger articulation is just too much, as long as the fig can old a weapon, it doesn´t matter if their hands are like DCUC Batman, which can both hold a weapon and still have the fist form.

BAF: Both have had good ideas for BAFS, but ML has done better and bigger bafs than DCUC. ML has given us Galactus. Sentinel,Fing Fang Foom, Apocalips, Giant Man, to name the big ones and reason the BAF concept was created.

DCUC´s first big BAF is going to be Giganta, so, ML takes this one.

Army building: Hasbro already started with this concept with the two packs with shield agents and hand ninjas, skrulls and krees, concept that is taken by DC with the parademons.

I can´talk about distribution, cause Mexico alwys has had distribution problems with all lines. I could even talk about scale, and DCUC would be the winner. It all depends in what is important for the collector.

In my case, articulation and sculpt are what i look in a figure, not mattering if it has a base or the whole line deals with the baf concept and DCUC, so far, is taking the lead.

Mattel's DC line for the most part has been consistent. Not only do they use the same 2 out of the four horsemen for the figure anatomy/headsculpts (only two of the four hm sculpts while the other two fabricate armour parts, weapons, etc.) they use bulk bodies. I would be normally peave about a toyline usin the same body for almost everyfigure, but the way Mattel and the 4hm has it done is logical especially how the bulk are generic superhero bodies that can work with almost every hero.

l also notice how the scale is all over the place on the ml line unlike the DCSH.DCUC line. When I refer to scale, I don't mean a person like DArkseid being small when compared to the comics, but I mean scale when placing two six inch figures next to one another and noticing how one looks as if he/she was made in a different toyline. This might be a company's problem more than sculpting since it is quite frequent in the Hasbro line as oppose to the early TB line.

As for the actual sculptin, the 4hm has a unique talent to make the character's head sculpt consistent which, is rarely seen in the Ml line.

What I mean is that despite the 4hm has their unique sculpting styles, they can make dozens of different superman heads and make them look the same. If one compares the superman head from the DCSH and the DCUC line, you notice that they are both different. However, if one compares the different SM headsculpts in DCSH or in the DCUC line, you see that they are consistent within their lines;

That has to take some talent to be able to stick with a unique style for one superhero in a toyline and be able to change that style for another toyline if needed. Sadly, the same style of head on different toys is rare on ML whereas there would be one sculptor who sculpted more than one of the same person, but looks completely different in each version. A good example would be Xtreme Rogue where even though they both have different hairstyles on purpose, the headsculpt looks different from one another.

I honestly like DCUC better just because of the colour and cleaner paint jobs, but I can't say they are the best since it depends on each individual. Some ppl may prefer blackwashes over smooth paint or the once BAF. As Jay have said, DC has more obscure characters with cornball names, which may be a turnoff to some collectors. As much as I like Killer Moth, some ppl may prefer gettin someone like Lois Lane over him

A GL corps cartoon would be amazing, we should start a new thread as to what ideas would make it great and who should be the lead characters. In the comics the focus is mainly on Guy and Kyle with a strong supporting cast such as Hal, John, Kilowog, and a host of others.

Wow, I come back and see this topic has been really given a go by everyone it seems, great!! And thanks joenubb, glad you liked the topic!!

Great points by all sides, guess I should give mine!! Now I am a die hard Marvel fan, I know way more characters from Marvel than I do DC, stemming from the fact that when I seriously got into comics, Marvel just did it for me!! I picked up on the occassional DC book, but 98 % of my comic buys were Marvel based!! Which in turn led to me really getting into the 90's cartoons!!! Of course there was also a very well done Batman cartoon on as well!! And with it, I learned much more of the caped crusader than I ever did in the comics!!! But Marvel is what I know, and can argue points on! With that said, here's what I think about DCUC over all other comic toy lines!

DCUC is definitely on the right track onto becoming the greatest comic toy line ever, however it has a ways to go!!

Distribution seems to be at it's core problem!! The only stores that carried it, Target, TRU, etc, had a hell of a time getting the product in and on its shelves!!! People wanted it, but could not get it!! And most importantly, Wal Mart was not carrying it!! While many of us, may not like Wal Mart, if it doesn't carry a line, then having it be a success with the general public it can't be without it!! Yes JLU seems to do well at Target, but to reach ML heights, it needs Wal Mart!! And with recent findings at Wal Mart, I think it can be said that having them come in can't be a bad idea!! Already I've found way more of Wave 6 than I did with any previous waves at all other stores combined, that's saying something!! Even now, Target still has bare shelves, or the occassional Red Elec Supes!!! So the evil that they are, it's a good thing for the collector that Wal Mart carries the line, and it means we'll find items on the shelf!! So for the time being distribution seems to be on the right track!!!

Another point to consider is the popularity of the characters themselves!! Now we should consider kids in this factor, cause while we all think we're all important, it's the next gen that has to also keep this line afloat, again if it's to reach the heights of the Toy Biz Marvel Legend status!! And by far Marvel has more well known characters than DC!! While DC has the mpre iconic characters, they only have a few of them!!! Marvel has more recognizable ones!! Give a family of four, and they will be able to name more Marvel character simply because of the movies and cartoons that are on regular TV!!! Sure a lot of houses have cable, and can get Cartoon Network, but many still don't and that could be the key in really getting the average buyer into DCUC!! So the edge goes to Marvel and their properties!! They really know how to get to the average fan, and know how to sell their stuff!!!

While a good toy line may not need recognizable characters, it really does help!! I think what DC should be thinking is making a brand new cartoon, that gets away from the JLU/BTAS style of drawings, and get back to having them look like their comic book counterparts!! Don't limit it to one character, but make it a team thing, like the old Super Friends show, and the JLU cartoon!! The most important fact is that it has to be on regular TV!! For crying out lout, it's their own channel, and they don't have a dedicated DC cartoon, how stupid is that??? Once you have that, it may be easier to push the lesser known characters on the shelf!!!

I gotta go, but I'll get to the figures in my next reply!!

Ask this question in about five years and when Mattel uses more than 3 or 4 body types.

DCUC is good. I am actually impressed with the line-up, but man , the semi-so quality and the same bucks are getting real tired. ML started using the same body only a few times over with Toy Biz, and then with HAsbro at least once or twice a wive. But with DCUC, 3 or 4 of each selection has the same body. Reminds me of the MOTU from the 80's . Change it up and give me variety.

That's how I feel. Granted there are positives I choose to focus on too, but otther than a variant Mantis, I'm not sure any of the Wave 9 figures are new. I love the DCUC figures I have, but no way are they better than Legends. Not yet at least. Remember, Mattel has released nearly twice as many waves as Toy Biz did in its first year. If Mattel does add more body types, then look out! If they make a couple new bodies for Wally Flash or other modern heroes now that the satellite JLA is nearly done I think DCUC could easily go down as the best yet. But there's no evidence this will be the case. I hope they can do it though.

Marvel Legends had so many amazing figures. Each one could look great alone, but then as a group they looked even cooler with all the different shapes and sizes. A few figures were not winners or out of scale, but that's the price of being innovative and taking chances.

DC's figures are pretty much bulletproof. Proportions and sculpt are all top notch, but it's too homogenous for me right now. I'm gonna revisit it in another year or two and see what they do.

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

10. Aquaman

HAHAHA. WRONG! Marvel so far more well known it's not even funny.

This line hasn't overtaken my Marvel Legends collection yet, but it is fast becoming my favorite line of toys. Marvel Legends always had a bit of a quality control issue, both with Toybiz and with Hasbros, and that hasn't yet been an issue with DC Classics, but the availability of DC Classics has been my main concerns. They aren't found in a lot of stores and (especially in Canada) I haven't seen any Walmart waves yet.

ive been reading a lot of post about how ML is better than dcuc...bull****! of the 300+ figs that marvel released, only half (if that many) are good. most MLs are clonky, over articulated, and poorly sculpted. not one ml female has been better sculpted than a DCU female fig, half of the MLs cant hold their weapons (until hasbro) and those big ball joints are just awful! not to mention their huge scale problem.

I agree with pooda. I think nostalga makes ML look better since ppl were complainin about Toybiz's quality control when they had the line. However, when HAsbro have gotten the line, the complaints were now about Hasbro's quality control and now it seems that ppl are complainin about DCUC's quality control

Not sayin Mattel has great QC; theirs are awful, but l think that when a line becomes old, ppl forget about the issues the lines has have in the past.

I'm speaking strictly about the main topic, not distribution, QC issues, etc, I'm talking based on sculpt, articulation. character selection & scale. IMO, the DCUC in just a little over 13 months is very close to being the greatest superhero action figure line ever!

TB held that title for a few yrs, but their oversaturation of Spidey/Wolvy/Ironman/Hulk figures really started to wear thin after a while. Many, many more deserving MU characters got the shaft due to TB wanting to do so many multiple versions of the big 4. From 2002 till now, where the heck are Gladiator & other members of the Imperial Guard, Hyperion & the rest of the Squadron Supreme, the rest of Alpha Flight, Ironman's awesome vilians rogue gallery, Avengers such as Starfox, Quasar, Swordsman, Mockingbird, US Agent? Where are Thor's enemies such as Ulik, Kurse, BAF Surtur, frost Giants? All those could have been done if not for the army of variant, SpiderIroncaphulks that were thrown out in almost every single wave or every other wave.

The huge exclusion of major MU villians asides from Spiderman enemies really Pissed me off, it's like those were the only villians that rated to be done.

ML sculpts were very well done for the most part, but they really dropped the ball by using puny body sculpts on characters that rated to be a bit bigger sculpts such as Hawkeye, Vision, Taskmaster, characters that are 6'3 230lbs & built like Cap, got spiderman type sculpts!?

The vast majority of their females are on the ugly side & were as tall as the male characters that are 6+ in the comics. Funny how now that Hasbro does some females in a smaller more accurate scale, people complain they are too tiny.

Bishop was too big as was Beast, So TB was not always perfect in the scale dept either. Hasbro made an aweful Hercules even worse by making him to tall as well & now they have started to make figs that are supposed to be 6 inches tall, look 5 1/2 tall, puny with pin sized heads. Tarantula for example.

C'mon people, I loved & collected SP back in the 80s as well, but to say those 5-6 POA figs are still better than the DCUC line is laughable. Sure they came with vehicles, playsets, but back then those things were affordable, today they probably wouldn't be.

IMO, the 4HM are among the best sculpters in the business & I'm so grateful they are the ones doing the DC line. To me their sculpts look like they jumped off the pages, with their vibrant colors, attention to costume details & for the vast part, great scale compatability. Much as it irrated me to have Shrimpestro. Oversized Lobo, slightly on the small size Captain Cold & I guess, for most people, a too tiny kid Flash, they have done a great job in keeping the line very scale compatible. The POA Imo is perfect, no need for every single finger/toe, half foot to be articulated, just made the figure look wonky marionettes & as time passed, hard to stay standing. Who here can easily stand their Angel fig with his wings on as easy as the wave 6 Hawkman?

The " kids by this line " card is so played out, it's not funny! I am a father of 3 kids aged 14-11-10 & if it wasn't for me being a MU/DCU fanatic of comics/toys/cartoons & indoctrinating them in my passion/love for my hobby collection of superhero characters, they would know very, very little about the DC/MU. That is why they love & enjoy the hobby as much as I do. If the parents of some kids are not MU/DCU fans, have never collected in their lives a single DC/MU toy, watched the toons or read the comics, then chances are high their kids won't be into collecting ML/DCUC either due to having grown up w/o that as a part of their lives.

IMO, the people buying ML/DCUC are the ones that grew up playing with their MEGOs, Superpowers, Secret Wars figs & watched " The challenge of the Superfriends", & read/collected comics as youngsters themselves. Kids who have a dad or mom that grew up on these characters will be more into it than kids whose parents could give a flying doodoo about superheroes & always thought they were above that.

Every single time I go down the action figure Isles & have seen the ML/DCUC figs on the pegs, I have never seen a kid under 18 looking at them, it's me & a few other over 25+ guys checking them out, so to say these are "a kids line" is a crock of BS cuz what kids know who the heck Killer Moth & Ultraman are unless their parents have indoctrinated them withthe knowledge & love for the MU/DCU characters via cartoons/tys/comics. I got my 11yr old son the DCU encyclopedia for X-mas & he loves it! Just in the past 3 months his knowledge of the DCU has improved by leaps & bounds & he will tell me that he hopes that obscure characters such as Calanderman, Clock King( the one with a clock as a face) get made in the DCUC line.

The DCUC line is great cuz it's not afraid to make an obscure character in every wave such as KM, Gentleman Ghost & the 80s Vigilante whom I'm so stoked about cuz I knew he'd never get made in the SuperwonderGLBats centric DCD line which btw, DCUC has already surpassed in just 13 months.

DCUC has already done 80% of the greatest JLA era ever, the satellte team, only 3 core members to go, EM, Zee & Jonn' Jonzz & all 3 will be done within the next 4-6 waves IMO. The JSA is already 7 strong & the TT are coming along nicely. In 10yrs, DCD has never come close to giving us an entire team roster of any era that was scale compatible!

I'm pretty sure that once this line fully gets all the kinks out & establishes itself as an even bigger hit than it already is with collectors, Mattel will give the 4Hm the greenlight to start making a few more different sized buck bodies so not all the male characters will be the same exact hgt. I have no prob with a 6'0 character sharing a body sculpt with a 6'2 maybe even 6'3 character but someone with a more slender /smaller build like Nightwing who's 5'10-11 180lbs in the comics should not be as buff as Bats who's 6'2 225lbs.

We are now into wave 9 of this series & how many different Batman figures have they done? Just the crimestopper Bats in wave 1 plus the variant in the upcoming clayface 2 pack! DCD can't go 2 waves w/o shoving in another figure of Bats! We finally got a DCUC Supes in wave 6.

Just my 2 centavos, but IMO, the DCUC line will go down as the best superhero related action figure line ever!