Has DC Universe Classics surpassed all other comic toy lines??

Lady Jaye

nah, marvel legends (toybiz of course) is still the better line. this can also affect my decision that i prefer marvel but i love dc as well and the dcuc are way better then the marvel legends (hasbro of course). dcuc is the line i love the most at the moment. it is like the legends back in the days. i buy figures, i dont even know who they are. they look cool, so it doesnt bother me to get them for the c&c piece. i am even happy to have them.

agree !!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCUC is getting above ML in two ways: managing to put out obscure figures that keep the line fresh, and by still existing. Come on, when your distribution sucks but you plan on putting out five waves of figures in a year compared to a store exclusive and a two-pack laden line, you know you're getting your ass beat.

And I like Series 6, it is BEAUTIFUL.

With the recent announcement, sneak peeks, outed images and upcoming Toy Fair, it seems to me that DCUC is going to continue it's growing line with a fantastic year in 09!!! And with Wal Mart on board, these figures we crave so much, will be plentiful!! So have they finally surpassed the Super Powers Collection, Marvel Legends, and any toy line every connected to a comic universe, be it mass produced or comic book shop only? If not, why!!

THANKS TO WAL-MART!!! :blink: #WTF# tell me you did'nt just pay wal-mart an "in stock" compliment. when ever "the devils retail out-let" is involved only pain and suffering will ever come about from it.

but to answer your question, it depends on wheather your talking how much money brought in or how greatly loved he for mentioned toy lines are. of corse my vote is always for DCUC #US1#

DCUC is getting above ML in two ways: managing to put out obscure figures that keep the line fresh, and by still existing. Come on, when your distribution sucks but you plan on putting out five waves of figures in a year compared to a store exclusive and a two-pack laden line, you know you're getting your ass beat.

And I like Series 6, it is BEAUTIFUL.

Toybiz ML put out a ton of obscure characters... at the same time putting out well-known characters because they had more figures per wave

DCUC has to be more careful.. putting out too many bottom tier characters in waves that only have 5 figures or so.

I have already skipped lots of DCUC figures.. I never did that with Toybiz ML

a lot of valid points have been made already and I'm not going to repeat them. I don't think DCUC HAS become the king of comic figures YET. With the way things are looking though, I believe it does have the legs to do it. If anyone here still remembers me, they'd know I was a ML addict....until Hasbro took over. After the TB reign ended I looked for something else to collect. That's when I stumbled on DCSH. I fell in love and my DC figures have affected other areas of my expendable income. Since I was so interested in the characts I was buying I started reading more DC comics. Now my monthly pull list is 95% DC. Subsequently, I've begun selling off my ML collection on Ebay....

I have to agree with all the guys who think that DCU has surpases Marvel Legends. Why? Because of their sculping. Marvel Legends's sculpinfg is too compromise to me. Most figures look too skinny when posed straight.

Thank you

For the guys who prefer ML over DCUC as far as sclupting how could you enjoy their standard base body for males, skinny and don't forget those nasty hands and ugly ball jointed hips, no comparison. ML is a great line and I have a lot of them but DCUC have a better overall look.

and for the dude who mentioned best overall toyline evey and said GI JOE, he is right, tons of figures, articulation, even with limited sculpting no figure looked the same and the vehicles were AWESOME, GI JOE is hands down the best overall but this is about hero toys.

Great topic Lady Jaye, I have a feeling this thread/debate will go for a long time. As for myself, I don't think DC has surpassed all other comic lines, most notably of course being Marvel Legends. Mattel is doing some great stuff and I can't wait to see more, but there's a reason they'll never be number one.

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

Ask this question in about five years and when Mattel uses more than 3 or 4 body types.

DCUC is good. I am actually impressed with the line-up, but man , the semi-so quality and the same bucks are getting real tired. ML started using the same body only a few times over with Toy Biz, and then with HAsbro at least once or twice a wive. But with DCUC, 3 or 4 of each selection has the same body. Reminds me of the MOTU from the 80's . Change it up and give me variety.

Playsets for 6 inch figs in this economy will be higly unlikely, but if we had more accessories and maybe a few dios then Mattel can even achieve more greatness among collectors. Before TB folded, we got a figure, a BAF piece, a comic, and a dio all for under $10 bills, now that is somethign that needs to be considered.

The 80's GiJoe toyline is the best action figure line ever. Hands down. It will never be topped, ever.

TOTALLY AGREED!

Sorry to disagree

GI Joe back in the 80's was cool but I prefer Transformers G1 over that

No problem Bro, none is perfect..

I also collect to transformer in the past, but aside from Megatron and Starcream no other I am interested.

Well DCUC Classic biggest problem still remains distribution. It don't matter how good the figures are if you can't find them on shelves. I can walk in to my local Target, Wal-Mart and TRU right now and almost guaranteed I won't see a single DCUC figure on the pegs. Another thing is I don't think in general DC Characters are as popular as Marvel ones. Once you get past DC's big 3 and other JLU members, DCU characters don't seem to have a lot of recognition with people beyond the hard core fans. I think Marvel with all the cartoons it had in the 90's allowed more than just the comic book readers to become familiar with their library of charcaters. As for the line itself, there is no doubt its a nice line. Is it better than say ML? There are aspects that are and aspects that aren't but over all I would put them on equal footing.

The number one reason that DC Universe Classics will never surpass Marvel Legends is that DC will always play second fiddle to Marvel. Marvel has far more popular, likable, and cooler characters. I mean, we all saw the Killer Moth figure, right? I'm not sayin' I want Hasbro to make a Captain Ultra figure(another crappy character with a crappy costume), but DC has a lot more lame ass characters than Marvel.

I do have a small collection of DCUC and will continue to collect my faves, but make mine Marvel!

I feel that this is the most overused statement around. The whole "People recognize Marvel over DC" I feel is just wrong. I think in the place of comic fandom it is probably correct. In the case of Joe Public I think one would find it is the opposite.

I think if you just went to the everyday person on the street and showed them pictures of comic characters the ten most recognized would be (In no particular order:

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

9. Captian Marvel (Shazam is what they would call him)

10. Aquaman

Only 3 Marvel characters make my list with DC getting an additional boost from the link of Robin and Supergirl to the DC big guns. Other characters might be recognized, but I would wager that there names would not be known like Wolverine, Doc Octopus, Dr. Doom, Green Arrow, or Green Lantern.

Again, this is just my oppinion as I have not tried to prove my hypothisis.

I feel that this is the most overused statement around. The whole "People recognize Marvel over DC" I feel is just wrong. I think in the place of comic fandom it is probably correct. In the case of Joe Public I think one would find it is the opposite.

I think if you just went to the everyday person on the street and showed them pictures of comic characters the ten most recognized would be (In no particular order:

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

10. Aquaman

Only 3 Marvel characters make my list with DC getting an additional boost from the link of Robin and Supergirl to the DC big guns. Other characters might be recognized, but I would wager that there names would not be known like Wolverine, Doc Octopus, Dr. Doom, Green Arrow, or Green Lantern.

Shazam? ha! you forgot Wolverine and Iron Man, no way would they NOT come up.

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

10. Aquaman

But the problem is your list ignores characters like Iron Man, Cyclops, Magneto, Green Goblin, The Fantastic Four, Blade which tips the recognition factor well in favour of Marvel. Marvel has simply present more higher-profile, thus more recognized characters than DC has. This is something that even comic book fans fall prey too. I've seen a comic shop owner playfully quiz customers on this very thing ( by showing them imagine of about 100 characters from the three major publishers, and most comic book readers recognize Marvel characters more easily--and that's a dedicated audience being polled, not casual readers.

But a question of recognizability is not a question of which is better. I think the 4 Horsemen just proved they can talk a somewhat obscure character like Killer Moth and make a very toyetic figure out of it. As silly as he might be as a character, he LOOKS cool as a figure--which is a big plus. As long as DC anchors their waves with a known heavy-weight, or version of one, they should be able to carry said wave with any lesser known characters. When the product is good, its very very good now--so here's hoping they can keep this going.

The otherissue with the popularity topic is most people dont know the difference betweeen the 2 Comic lines (DC and Marvel). I cannot tell you how many times i ask my family to look for the DCUC in Florida or New Jersey for me and they are stuck on the Spiderman, The Dark Knight and Ironman stuff. I cannot tell you how many times i hear whats the difference...

1. Superman (Supergirl)

2. Batman (Robin)

3. Spiderman

4. Wonder Woman

5. Hulk

6. Captain America

7. Flash

8. Joker

10. Aquaman

But the problem is your list ignores characters like Iron Man, Cyclops, Magneto, Green Goblin, The Fantastic Four, Blade which tips the recognition factor well in favour of Marvel. Marvel has simply present more higher-profile, thus more recognized characters than DC has. This is something that even comic book fans fall prey too. I've seen a comic shop owner playfully quiz customers on this very thing ( by showing them imagine of about 100 characters from the three major publishers, and most comic book readers recognize Marvel characters more easily--and that's a dedicated audience being polled, not casual readers.

But a question of recognizability is not a question of which is better. I think the 4 Horsemen just proved they can talk a somewhat obscure character like Killer Moth and make a very toyetic figure out of it. As silly as he might be as a character, he LOOKS cool as a figure--which is a big plus. As long as DC anchors their waves with a known heavy-weight, or version of one, they should be able to carry said wave with any lesser known characters. When the product is good, its very very good now--so here's hoping they can keep this going.

I don't think you read my post correctly. I said that if you poll the everyday person and not a comic store junkie DC characters would be recognized more often. Iron Man may be the exception due to the success of his movie, but I am willing to wager there was a whole heck of a lot of ppeople that didn't know he has been around for decades in comic books. Fantastic 4 would get recognized as the Fantastic 4 and not by Mr Fantastic, Thing, Invisible Woman, and Human Torch.

As far as Wolverine goes I bet you could show someone a picture of Wolverine from the movies and they would say it was Wolverine. Show the same person a picture of Wolverine in comic book form and they would have no clue who it was.

The otherissue with the popularity topic is most people dont know the difference betweeen the 2 Comic lines (DC and Marvel). I cannot tell you how many times i ask my family to look for the DCUC in Florida or New Jersey for me and they are stuck on the Spiderman, The Dark Knight and Ironman stuff. I cannot tell you how many times i hear whats the difference...

This is exactly what I am getting at. People have no concept of the different comic universes. They just recognize the character

Great topic Lady Jaye, I have a feeling this thread/debate will go for a long time. As for myself, I don't think DC has surpassed all other comic lines, most notably of course being Marvel Legends. Mattel is doing some great stuff and I can't wait to see more, but there's a reason they'll never be number one.

I bought the Killer Moth figure and really like it. It is well put together . Even though it uses a stock body, it is very well done and the paint app was solid.

I understand that some aren't Marvel fans, but does that really constitute a reason why DCUC will never pass Marvel?

I will agree that at this point in time DCUC has yet to catch ML and I am a DC fan.

If we compare DCUC to just the Toy Biz Marvel Legends line, DCUC has a long way to go. If we compare it to just the Hasbro line, I think it has already surpassed it.

ML still have the edge over DCUC, just by the sheer number of figures. Now give DCUC a few years and I think they will be even, will they beat ML, how could they. the lines are fairly comparable, and really in the end it would come down to which you prefer more, DC or Marvel.

The argument over marvel having more reconizable characters really depends on your age. I grew up in the 80's, I watched superfriends, read Crisis and played with Super Powers, so dc was way more known to me (although I do rememeber Spiderman and friends but there was no toyline so it didnt help much, and secret wars figs were horrible). Now if you grew up in the 90's I could see Marvel being more reconizable, between the X-men explosion, all of the Marvel Animation and Toybiz figures.

Now as for beating Super Powers, no way. That line is classic and really cannot be beat. Bewtween childhood memories, Playsets and overall playability the line was perfect. I never had a broken Super Powers as a kid, and I played rough with them. I dont think my DCUC would have survived childhood.

As far as Wolverine goes I bet you could show someone a picture of Wolverine from the movies and they would say it was Wolverine. Show the same person a picture of Wolverine in comic book form and they would have no clue who it was.

They would think he was Batman.

People have no concept of the different comic universes. They just recognize the character

Yes, I would agree that the layperson does not distinguish between Marvel and DC. Kids might but not adults.

Yes it's a good looking figure, and it's nice when toy makers make a really nice figure out of a crap character, but I don't think they can keep it up forever. Regardless however because even though Killer Moth figure is a nice toy, he still looks like a pastel reject from back in the day. I certainly hope the DCUC continues, but they will never be as popular as Marvel Legends.

I bought the Killer Moth figure and really like it. It is well put together . Even though it uses a stock body, it is very well done and the paint app was solid.

I understand that some aren't Marvel fans, but does that really constitute a reason why DCUC will never pass Marvel?

I will agree that at this point in time DCUC has yet to catch ML and I am a DC fan.

If we compare DCUC to just the Toy Biz Marvel Legends line, DCUC has a long way to go. If we compare it to just the Hasbro line, I think it has already surpassed it.

Again, Killer Moth is a nice figure, but he sucks as a character. The only reason he was getting bought was because he was an exclusive with a BAF piece from a line that has reeeaaaal spotty distribution, meaning if ya don't get him now ya probably won't get him again. It doesn't matter that some people aren't Marvel fans, that's not the reason why DC won't pass Marvel. It's simply that Marvel has far better characters, costumes, artists, you name it.

I'm not saying I don't like DC, nor would I deny that they're responsible for some of the great stories and characters of our lifetime, they're just not as popular as Marvel.