Has DC Universe Classics surpassed all other comic toy lines??

Lady Jaye

With the recent announcement, sneak peeks, outed images and upcoming Toy Fair, it seems to me that DCUC is going to continue it's growing line with a fantastic year in 09!!! And with Wal Mart on board, these figures we crave so much, will be plentiful!! So have they finally surpassed the Super Powers Collection, Marvel Legends, and any toy line every connected to a comic universe, be it mass produced or comic book shop only? If not, why!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as of yet. It needs at least 50 more figures to be as universal as Marvel Legends (this is coming from a big DC fan), and with Super Powers......well they had kick butt vehicles and playsets (more kid friendly then collector friendly)

Not as of yet. It needs at least 50 more figures to be as universal as Marvel Legends (this is coming from a big DC fan), and with Super Powers......well they had kick butt vehicles and playsets (more kid friendly then collector friendly)

Seconded...

If you are talking straight numbers, DCUC has a LONG ways to go.

Marvel legends fielded about the equivalent of 25 waves, all told, over the span of about 7 years--with a guesstimated number of figures about 300 to 350 ( this would include all the tangent lines of X-men, Hulk Spiderman and boxed set figures).

The DCUC will be hard pressed to match that, because Marvel can field better and more appealing sub-brands than DC has.

While the New Gods, Teen Titans and Legion Of Superheroes might be interesting, they are not as well known as Spiderman, Hulk and X-men in terms of brands.

Outside of the Batman family, the JLA and the big 7, DC doesn't really have as many well known characters.

Now the thing here is that Mattel, for the most part, is fielding a line of consistent looking and reasonably good quality figures. If they keep up the savvy strategy of pairing a upper-tier hero with a villain, a good lower tier hero and interesting b-grade villain and a interesting enough BAF, they should be able to run the same distance as ML has.

Like Marvel, DC has all kinds of permutations possible for its top-tier characters, so putting a headliner in each wave is do-able for quite some time yet.

I just hope that Mattel's penchant for marketing blunders and wretched distribution habits, and external market forces do not shorten the life of the line.

nah, marvel legends (toybiz of course) is still the better line. this can also affect my decision that i prefer marvel but i love dc as well and the dcuc are way better then the marvel legends (hasbro of course). dcuc is the line i love the most at the moment. it is like the legends back in the days. i buy figures, i dont even know who they are. they look cool, so it doesnt bother me to get them for the c&c piece. i am even happy to have them.

You have to give it to marvel fr changeing the game on 6 inch figures but gi joes have always been the coolest for articulation and things in the small line. But its like a chick asking if shes the best you ever had. weather she is or not they all have done something that the other didn't and some were better than others. but all in all they have offered something new and hopeful.

Same goes for figures. each of the popular lines has had its good points and bad points. but it made us who we are today. I don't think DCUC is so much about surpassing other toy lines but more of bringing a much needed shot of hope and wonder to figures again.

But thats just my take...

I like DCUC a lot more than Marvel Legends (don't collect), but DCUC will need to get a few more big guns into the lineups before they can even think about surpassing ML. It also has to last about another half-decade or so.

It's great that we get Captain Cold and Mr. Terrific in DCUC, but ML pretty much got to every big name in the Marvel Universe. Super Powers also got most of the big guns. It's part of Mattel's strategy to spread them out, but it also means until we have the entire Justice League or Legion of Superheroes, DCUC can't be crowned king.

DCUC has the uniform look going for it big time, though. There's a consistency and a level of awesome that every figure retains, and it's nice to know they'll all have it. I mean, I never would have thought I'd be interested in picking up a retro Killer Moth figure, but that's changed thanks to the Four Horsemen and Mattel.

not yet. but if they impove their distributions, their paint quality apps and a strong line-up of characters then maybe in the next few years they will have the bragging rights against ML. especially with Hasbro doing a crappy job with ML figures.

I agree. This line will go nowhere if I can't walk into a store and buy a damn figure.

i say yes, i thought it was superior to Legends when it was still stuck in Superman/Batman only world. now that the door is open theres no contest. Don't get me wrong i'm a really big legend fan and have a ton of them, but the Sculpts of the DCU stuff blows even the best legends away, but i will admit i am biased since there are a lot more DC people i like then Marvel

Hell I would love to see the Star Wars figures in scale with these figures

A 6 inch Han and 8 inch Chewy would be cool Chewy could of been the build a figure :P

Imagine the size of the BMF we'd all be dreaming of then! ^_^

Wow that would be known as the HMF......

HUGE Millenium Falcon

and with a huge price tag

I am a biased DC fan I must say DCUC still has some way to go. ML still has better BAFs and as wayyy to many figures. Granted at their time ML was the best but DCUC is slowly gaining on them, with a better figure design and packaging DCUC is great.

I don't think DCUC has passed the Super Powers line yet, and it will continue to be hard. With having the Hall of Justice, the Batmobile, and all the other stuff it makes it hard, plus even to this day the sculpts are good, I have yet to see a better Superman face, however with the standouts of wave 9 Green Arrow and Black Adam and their simple but great assecories they are edging out Super Powers and will eventually take them over, if they do vehicles its a done deal.

The 80's GiJoe toyline is the best action figure line ever. Hands down. It will never be topped, ever.

Starwars is second best... but those aren't comic toylines...

As for Comic toylines, Toybiz's Marvel Legends are still far better than the DCUC line. The variety of Toybiz's figures, the variety of sculpts, the articulation, the paint details, the compatibility with sister toylines, the amount of figures you could get for your buck, even the packaging... Toybiz ML beat DCUC down, hard.

I would say that DCUC are better than HASBRO ML. But for me, I still hate the DCUC t-crotch. I hate the lack of paint details. And I really hate how all the figures look the same (with a very poor musculature, in my opinion). And the problem is, they aren't going to change these things. They will improve quality control and distribution, but these will always be beefed up Super Power figures

so that DCUC is the best one must be able to sell their products but it finds of his borders, because until the moment the series have only left totally in the United States, while they do not have international circulation, estaran far from to surpass to Toybiz Marvel Legends.

The 80's GiJoe toyline is the best action figure line ever. Hands down. It will never be topped, ever.

TOTALLY AGREED!

For me it's:

Mavel Legends > DC UC/DCSH

and

DC UC/DCSH > Hasbro ML. The Hasbro ML fiasco is basically the reason I gave up on that line and moved to DC UC only. For me, anything Hasbro has to offer now is too little too late. Granted I can't find DC UC on shelves, but the aftermarket prices for them/prices of cases has been rather reasonable so I'm content.

Nah, atm ML(both TB and Hasbro) still surpasses DCUC by far, ML has better over all amount of artic(yes even the hasbro figures for the most part have more) better quality control(even the TB MLs) for the most part even ML has better paint, and of course ML had the better distribution.

This could all change of course, since ML is taking a break for a while and DCUC will be carried by more and more WMs as time goes by.

When it comes to comic book lines, the DCUC line is a lot of fun to collect. I really do like how uniform the characters are and the sculpts are fantastic. When it comes to Marvel Legends, I really don't think that DCUC has surpassed it yet. In the Marvel Legends line there are some really WONDERFUL figs.

The first Beast figure (from wave 4 )that was released is probably one of my most favorite action figures of all time. When I saw that figure I was amazed. The design and articulation were perfect for that figure.

Series 5 had that terrific Colossus figure. Sabertooth was cool, but I think that figure kind of disappointed me a bit. The plastic felt different than previous lines.

Series 6 had a terrific Juggernaut figure. That thing was HUGE and magnificent. Deadpool with Doop was another terrific addition to this collection.

Series 9 delivered something we had all been waiting for , GALACTUS. He was cool, if his head wouldn't keep popping off. Series 10 delivered another treat with the Sentinel Build-a-Figure.

Series 12 and 13 brought about 2 amazing figures, Sasquatch and Abomination.

DCUC has had it's share of victories. Hawkman, Ares, Aquaman, Deathstroke, Solomon Grundy and Lobo all are fantastic figures. I am not saying that the other figures aren't quality. These are just the standouts in my mind. If DC continues to release quality lines without a ton of duplicates or multiple versions of the same character, they should easily catch up.

Comparing DCUC to the old Secret Wars line, I think DCUC wins easily. When comparing it to the Super Powers line, I would say that they have a long ways to go. I don't even think that Marvel Legends matches up to it. That line had colorful characters with playsets and vehicles. Delta Probe 1 and Lex Soar 7 were my 2 favorite vehicles. How could anyone forget how wonderful the Hall of Justice was? I think any comic book related line would have a long way to go to catch up to Super Powers.

Will DCUC do vehicles? I doubt it, but it would be nice to have a scale Batmobile or Batwing or Bat Cycle. A Hall of Justice or Watchtower could be cool. A Fortress of Solitude would be fun as well. How about just a carrying case in the shape of the hall of justice? =) How about an Aquaman and Aqualad figure complete with giant seahorses? If you want to be certain of cost effectiveness, get pre-orders through matty collector first.

If DCUC could pull some of the vehicles and playsets off while still releasing quality figures, they could go all the way.