Marvel Legends - NYCC 09

ransomz

So I spoke to the Hasbro reps, who are nice guys, and they told me some things.

1) Nemsis wave is shipping right now.

2) Second wave of 2-packs should be available in April 09.

3) There will be no new Marvel Legends after that in 2009.

4) At SDCC in July there will be some new 6 inch Marvel Legends products announced, though they may not show actual figures.

5) Hasbro is committed to giving the loyal fan/customers 6 inch Marvel Legend products. Hasbro meets regularly with Jesse about how to do this.

6) Hasbro is focusing on the 3 3/4 line at this time.

7) Even though the line is really 4 inch scale, Hasbro keeps calling it 3 3/4 basically for nostalgia purposes. The new Joe line started for the first wave as 3 3/4 but the figures were made to be more impressive so wound up being 4 inches. The Marvel line was dsigned to be compatible with that, rather than the true 3 3/4 line of Star Wars.

8) Hasbro will have new 6 inch Marvel Legends prodcut in 2010, though the distribution method isn't definite yet.

Either they're rethinking their attitude towards the line in terms of what they're offering/how it can sell better/how to make it more 'affordable,' or they're going to see if the fans remain with it so they can drop it. But I'm merely guessing here. The fact that the Nemesis Wave and the second two-pack wave are coming is hopeful...but to be fair, I haven't seen #$@# in terms of ML anywhere for the last few months (outside of the recent two-pack wave). That does not give me a lot of hope.

I am sure they will be both plentiful and lingering. Probably see them on clearance later in the year like the Ares wave is now.

Ares wave on clearance??

I haven't seen that happen at any of the 20 Walmarts I have been to recently.

In fact, I haven't seen an Ares wave figure since around Christmas... those things sold QUICK

I am sure they will be both plentiful and lingering. Probably see them on clearance later in the year like the Ares wave is now.

Ares wave on clearance??

In fact, I haven't seen an Ares wave figure since around Christmas... those things sold QUICK

The one I was at today had them aplenty. War Machine, HR Iron Man, and BR Spider-Man. Right next to the Legendary Heroes that seem to have never really left once they showed up.

thanks for the info!!

Ares wave on clearance??

The one I was at today had them aplenty. War Machine, HR Iron Man, and BR Spider-Man. Right next to the Legendary Heroes that seem to have never really left once they showed up.

i want them all, can anyone get me a wave, nice and cheap on clearance??

oh.. it's just War Machine, Ironman, and Spiderman at ONE walmart @lol@

that doesn't mean that the wave went on clearance much.

In fact, those are the only ones (and human torch) that I saw ever last more than a day... and because they were the ones packed heavily

One of the reps did say he was only talking about the 6 inch ML line. I asked if there was going to be any 6 inch Wolverine's and he didn't answer. Toy Fair is this weekend so I figure I'll get more info as to the Spidey and Wolverine 6 inch figures, if any.

In fact, those are the only ones (and human torch) that I saw ever last more than a day... and because they were the ones packed heavily

That's right. You'd still have to find the figs I only saw once - Guardian, Crossbones, and Vision. Human Torch might still be floating around and I just didn't see him. And the green 'clearance' price tag (didn't scan to verify) was 10.94 - not much in the way of a price drop, but if they hold out as long as the Legendary Heroes line did, it could go down to $5 like they did.

(edit - actually, 10.44 - I read the sticker wrong)

Ok... I have been someone who has thought the Hasbro ML Line is nice. I have even stated that they are not as bad as some people have torn apart. But you know what.. Hasbro does give a #$@# about us as customers. They want us to change to their 3 3/4 inch line. I have collected over the past 10 years 2548 figures. Just about anyline that I thought was cool. All are 6inch and up. I REFUSE TO BUY THEIR 3 3/4 LINE. Jesse stated in a note on this website the ML isn't dead and they have some great things to how us at NYCC. What I show was nothing. NOTHING. I saw those figures at SDCC. You want to do something, SHOW THE CONSUMER SOMETHING NEW NOW. ML Nemesis Wave Delayed for over a year. Now you say that we will release this line and the 2packs you showed last year. It is a copout. If the 3 3/4 in line does well, 6 inch is dead. Thank you to Hasbro for disappointing a loyal fan. Every Figure in the ML Line except 3 variants I have, and now I know that my ML Collection will end soon. What happened to the blurb in Toyfare about Darkhawk and other great characters. It is all words that Hasbro hopes we will forget when we see he 3 3/4 line.

Ok... I have been someone who has thought the Hasbro ML Line is nice. I have even stated that they are not as bad as some people have torn apart. But you know what.. Hasbro does give a #$@# about us as customers. They want us to change to their 3 3/4 inch line. I have collected over the past 10 years 2548 figures. Just about anyline that I thought was cool. All are 6inch and up. I REFUSE TO BUY THEIR 3 3/4 LINE. Jesse stated in a note on this website the ML isn't dead and they have some great things to how us at NYCC. What I show was nothing. NOTHING. I saw those figures at SDCC. You want to do something, SHOW THE CONSUMER SOMETHING NEW NOW. ML Nemesis Wave Delayed for over a year. Now you say that we will release this line and the 2packs you showed last year. It is a copout. If the 3 3/4 in line does well, 6 inch is dead. Thank you to Hasbro for disappointing a loyal fan. Every Figure in the ML Line except 3 variants I have, and now I know that my ML Collection will end soon. What happened to the blurb in Toyfare about Darkhawk and other great characters. It is all words that Hasbro hopes we will forget when we see he 3 3/4 line.

I think if Hasbro didn't give a #$@# about their customers, they wouldn't have created many of the products they have, and brought back many of the products from some of their better toy-lines over the years.

Not showing product at NYCC doesn't mean that 6" scale product will not be shown at NYTF, or at SDCC, or even at the fall Toyfair. Jesse Falcon clearly jumped the gun a bit, but that's nothing new. It happens and plans change.

Toy companies withhold showing new product all the time--a good example, IIRC is Toybiz's Superhero Showdown--I'm pretty sure there was no preview of that product--it just appeared in stores.

The Marvel Universe present some opportunities for the brand that have not been realized in toy form yet. The scale offers opportunities for different stuff: multi-packs, true army-builder sets, stuff like the Giant Battles, and perhaps vehicles and diorama sets. 6" scale stuff largely prohibits some of these things, because the size is just too large.

Now, that's not saying you or anyone else HAS to buy into the smaller scale--its your choice. Marvel Legends was bound to end at some point, if it truly has ended. Hasbro will come right out and say that the scale is done with, and they have not done that as yet.

There's no point reading negatives into this when none have been intentionally fielded.

That's right. You'd still have to find the figs I only saw once - Guardian, Crossbones, and Vision. Human Torch might still be floating around and I just didn't see him. And the green 'clearance' price tag (didn't scan to verify) was 10.94 - not much in the way of a price drop, but if they hold out as long as the Legendary Heroes line did, it could go down to $5 like they did.

OK, the second Walmart I visited this weekend also has the Ares wave in Clearance. They had a Guardian, a Kang, and a few Human Torches. So it looks like it's a company-wide thing.

The thing is Marvel legends does not sell.

I lived in the uk and I found nothing of interest to me in me in mainstream stores and I like mainstream characters.

I moved to the Czech Republic and I found nothing at all.

You can see 6"Inch is dead in the water so get what you can and then move on.

Hoping that I do that the next Iron man Movie will bring Sean Chen Iron man(likely from comic covers lately),Crimson Dynamo, Bob Layton Iron man, Skin Armour Iron Man, Modern captain America, Spider-lizard and angry Richard Branson(appeared in uk transformers comics)

Listed in reverse order of sanity(and hope).

Still hoping for all of them though!!

Except Branson.

And modern captain america.

He is S##t.

OK, the second Walmart I visited this weekend also has the Ares wave in Clearance. They had a Guardian, a Kang, and a few Human Torches. So it looks like it's a company-wide thing.

I get that they would be on clearance at this point.. they have been out for months and the stores are resetting, with no new Marvel Legends products coming, they wouldn't want to keep those stragglers around.

But I flat out haven't seen any of the Ares wave in my town since around Christmas. that is what is unusual to me, that you still have some, not that they are on clearance.

I dont mean to read into it. I think I am just dissapointed. I think in general NYCC was dissappointing. I felt that the vendors where very overpriced, and I was lookig forward to seeing what they had instore for the ML 6 inch. When i got there, I saw the same things as SDCC. I am always excited about the ML line and I just have this gut feeling, that if the 3 3/4 inch line does really well, then they will say good bye to the 6 inch fan base. I still think the legends are bettr then the DCUC. I collect both, but I dont want to see the legends die yet.

I agree that ML, even Hasbro ML, is better than DCUC, but Mattel is certainly getting a lot more buzz at this point. The Mattel booth was swamped and Marvel's little corner wasn't. To be fair, Mattel was also showing He-Man, Ghost Busters and other lines, in addition to having a store.

I'm hoping Hasbro will be willing to take a page from Mattel and offer more 6 inch product on thier website, if retailers aren't expressing interest. They sould have more than enough molds at this point to get by with only new headsculpts for a lot of characters. Blink could just be a repaint of Psylocke, US Agent of Captain America, Northstar of Quicksilver, etc.

I dont mean to read into it. I think I am just dissapointed. I think in general NYCC was dissappointing. I felt that the vendors where very overpriced, and I was lookig forward to seeing what they had instore for the ML 6 inch. When i got there, I saw the same things as SDCC. I am always excited about the ML line and I just have this gut feeling, that if the 3 3/4 inch line does really well, then they will say good bye to the 6 inch fan base. I still think the legends are bettr then the DCUC. I collect both, but I dont want to see the legends die yet.

I agee this was a pathetic NYCC. The only strong point was the four new MOTUC figures shown. No ML was the biggest disapointment but even MU only had a handfull of NEW figures shown. 1st apperance DD being the best.

I'm hoping Hasbro will be willing to take a page from Mattel and offer more 6 inch product on thier website, if retailers aren't expressing interest. They sould have more than enough molds at this point to get by with only new headsculpts for a lot of characters. Blink could just be a repaint of Psylocke, US Agent of Captain America, Northstar of Quicksilver, etc.

A lot of people keep saying this, but I feel the need to ask them:

Are you willing to pay $20 per figure (closer to $30 after shipping and handling), for a kitbashed/repainted figure that maybe has a new headsculpt and accessories, and likely no Build-a-figure piece?

Nevermind how many times Hasbro has flat-out-said that they don't do "internet only" lines anymore. They got burned big time with G.I. Joe, and from their perspective the "internet only" lines don't meet their production goals/business models. That's why they didn't offer up the Temple of Doom or Raiders of the Lost Ark wave 2 from Indiana Jones as an exclusive despite the fans begging and pleading for it. That's why Marvel Legends won't become an "E-tailer only" exclusive either. Hasbro just doesn't do business that way. Hasbro is not Mattel. (And let's not forget, those MotUC figures are basically the same three or four body molds recycled with new heads and accessories, too...for $25-$30 apiece or so after shipping...Ghostbusters will likely be the same way).

Once Hasbro moves a line to "internet only" they're all but completely cutting out the kids' and casual buyer market. Once the price goes up to $20 per figure, they're cutting out more of the adult market (those that aren't willing to pay that much for something that isn't entirely new-sculpt). That's two strikes against an "internet only" Marvel Legends line to begin with. From Hasbro's perspective it isn't worth the cost/risk.

Because they're NOT going to sell "internet only" Marvel Legends for $10 a pop. No way, no how.

A lot of people keep saying this, but I feel the need to ask them:

Are you willing to pay $20 per figure (closer to $30 after shipping and handling), for a kitbashed/repainted figure that maybe has a new headsculpt and accessories, and likely no Build-a-figure piece?

Nevermind how many times Hasbro has flat-out-said that they don't do "internet only" lines anymore. They got burned big time with G.I. Joe, and from their perspective the "internet only" lines don't meet their production goals/business models. That's why they didn't offer up the Temple of Doom or Raiders of the Lost Ark wave 2 from Indiana Jones as an exclusive despite the fans begging and pleading for it. That's why Marvel Legends won't become an "E-tailer only" exclusive either. Hasbro just doesn't do business that way. Hasbro is not Mattel. (And let's not forget, those MotUC figures are basically the same three or four body molds recycled with new heads and accessories, too...for $25-$30 apiece or so after shipping...Ghostbusters will likely be the same way).

Once Hasbro moves a line to "internet only" they're all but completely cutting out the kids' and casual buyer market. Once the price goes up to $20 per figure, they're cutting out more of the adult market (those that aren't willing to pay that much for something that isn't entirely new-sculpt). That's two strikes against an "internet only" Marvel Legends line to begin with. From Hasbro's perspective it isn't worth the cost/risk.

Because they're NOT going to sell "internet only" Marvel Legends for $10 a pop. No way, no how.

I bet if you were to do the GI Joe thing now, a couple years later, there would be more internet sales. This is a growing market, that may not have had enough steam a couple years back. As costs of travel and scarcity of product in stores grow the internet sales are driven up.

Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder. A year off of Legends may offer more interest, especially if quality improves.

Also, Hasbro usually has a coupon code that lowers the price, basically eliminating tax or shipping which could help keep prices down.

Fact is Hasbro sees what's working at Matty right now, and has to realize there is oppritunity there if done well.

Maybe, maybe not. Internet sales have grown, sure, but have they grown that much in the "boys toys/action figure" segment? Remember, Hasbro presumably has plenty of info on how well things sell on HasbroToyShop.com, as well as what they ship to E-tailer outlets. If they were growing as rapidly as you claim, why hasn't Hasbro changed their tune on Internet Only lines?

Also bear in mind the extremely low production runs of the MotUC figures (5000 figures apiece, I believe?). You gonna be happy if they sell out before you get yours and you have to pay double/triple on Ebay? You going to be happy with rehashes of the same parts over and over again? You going to be happy with a $20 pricepoint for individual figures?

You didn't answer any of those questions. Define "done well" because a line like this is not going to see a lot of new tooling.

There are already plenty of people NOT buying the MotUC line because they think they're overpriced. It's easy to sell out of something when you have a low production run too. Don't mistake the illusion of success with actual success.