RISE OF COBRA WAVE 1 MOVIE FIGURE IMAGES

HissCommander

I'm not trying to start a debate, i'm just trying to avoid a research paper.

So you support the future but not extreme? Didn't that take place in the near future? have a change (new cast and new vililans) to keep things fresh, exactly like you are talking about?

G.I. Joe Extreme was a poorly articulated, oddly-proportioned line laden with "action features" that were built into the figures (not separate pieces of spring-loaded weaponry that can easily be discarded, though they had some of that, too). You're comparing apples and oranges. Besides, Extreme was also what...13 or 14 years ago? A lot of folks here might not even have been collecting then. Or maybe he did support Extreme. It has a few fans out there, after all.

I'll buy these because (to me) they're a perfectly acceptable modernization of the Joe mythos, and look to have good sculpting and articulation. They might not be used as the characters they're supposed to represent in my personal "Joe verse" but I can certainly find plenty of use for them. Most of the people that are so negatively inclined towards them are acting that way not because of any deficiency in the craftsmanship of the figures...they're just whining because it's not more of the same "classic" G.I. Joe. They're letting their issues with the movie cloud their opinion of the toys crafted for the movie.

Seriously...did people really think Hasbro was just going to re-issue 25A Duke, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes et al... maybe with new headsculpts and minor tweaks for a major motion picture release? That'd be idiotic as none of the people whining that they're "not my Joe" would be buying them anyway, because they'd just be more of the same figures they already have.

That, and I'm going to buy extra just to spite the whiners who are afraid of change. They need to relax and recall that this movie isn't going to push classic Joe stuff out of the picture forevermore. Buying some (or even all) of these movie figures isn't going to hurt the "classic" Joe brand in the least. In point of fact, if this movie toy line fails, then there's a far better chance that the "Real American Hero" Joe that most of us here love so much will go away for much longer than a year or so...because the failure of the movie and the movie figures will be seen as a failure of the Joe brand, and even specifically the RAH characters...because Wal-Mart doesn't care if it's cartoon Snake-Eyes or comic-book Snake-Eyes or movie Snake-Eyes. They just know it's Snake-Eyes.

In short, these movie toys failing at retail could very well lead to more "Extreme" or "Sgt. Savage" style experiments. It's certainly not going to automatically lead to resurgence of the classic Joe property. We'd end up with (at best) a scaled-back "classic" line that would likely dwindle and disappear after one year, if it even made it that far (because after all, retailers may be really disinclined to buy more versions of these characters that collected dust on their shelves all last year).

If you care about the Joe brand/franchise and have a lick of business sense, you should be wanting this movie and the movie toys to succeed. Doesn't mean you have to like them or buy them personally, but success for the film and toys accompanying it means a stronger Joe brand overall. Which leads to more classic product in the future, not less.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you support the future but not extreme? Didn't that take place in the near future? have a change (new cast and new vililans) to keep things fresh, exactly like you are talking about?

G.I. Joe Extreme was a poorly articulated, oddly-proportioned line laden with "action features" that were built into the figures (not separate pieces of spring-loaded weaponry that can easily be discarded, though they had some of that, too). You're comparing apples and oranges. Besides, Extreme was also what...13 or 14 years ago? A lot of folks here might not even have been collecting then. Or maybe he did support Extreme. It has a few fans out there, after all.

I'll buy these because (to me) they're a perfectly acceptable modernization of the Joe mythos, and look to have good sculpting and articulation. They might not be used as the characters they're supposed to represent in my personal "Joe verse" but I can certainly find plenty of use for them. Most of the people that are so negatively inclined towards them are acting that way not because of any deficiency in the craftsmanship of the figures...they're just whining because it's not more of the same "classic" G.I. Joe. They're letting their issues with the movie cloud their opinion of the toys crafted for the movie.

Seriously...did people really think Hasbro was just going to re-issue 25A Duke, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes et al... maybe with new headsculpts and minor tweaks for a major motion picture release? That'd be idiotic as none of the people whining that they're "not my Joe" would be buying them anyway, because they'd just be more of the same figures they already have.

That, and I'm going to buy extra just to spite the whiners who are afraid of change. They need to relax and recall that this movie isn't going to push classic Joe stuff out of the picture forevermore. Buying some (or even all) of these movie figures isn't going to hurt the "classic" Joe brand in the least. In point of fact, if this movie toy line fails, then there's a far better chance that the "Real American Hero" Joe that most of us here love so much will go away for much longer than a year or so...because the failure of the movie and the movie figures will be seen as a failure of the Joe brand, and even specifically the RAH characters...because Wal-Mart doesn't care if it's cartoon Snake-Eyes or comic-book Snake-Eyes or movie Snake-Eyes. They just know it's Snake-Eyes.

In short, these movie toys failing at retail could very well lead to more "Extreme" or "Sgt. Savage" style experiments. It's certainly not going to automatically lead to resurgence of the classic Joe property. We'd end up with (at best) a scaled-back "classic" line that would likely dwindle and disappear after one year, if it even made it that far (because after all, retailers may be really disinclined to buy more versions of these characters that collected dust on their shelves all last year).

If you care about the Joe brand/franchise and have a lick of business sense, you should be wanting this movie and the movie toys to succeed. Doesn't mean you have to like them or buy them personally, but success for the film and toys accompanying it means a stronger Joe brand overall. Which leads to more classic product in the future, not less.

I agree with so much of what you just said.

Well, what I want don't mean a hill of beans if the product itself sucks. There has to be the investment in design and aesthetics at Hasbro's end, and the toys themselves have to be interesting and engaging.

If that is not there, if the movie itself is lacklustre......then the whole equation collapses.

It lives or dies on its own merits.

I'm still curious to see why people do like them.

As for why i don't. The suits looks too futuristic to me, shipwrecks head seems a little big, and i don't like the dichotomy of the sigma suit top and pants. I really don't like the uniformity of the wave, and also feel they are far too removed from traditional Joe. They don't look familiar in any way to me. I don't see why Scarlet in her non sigma suit, couldn't have at least sported some blue and tan somewhere, or HD a bandana or Hat, not to mention the fact i still don't know why this isn't Roadblock. The viper looks too silly to me. The skull on top of the furustic armor together are too much. I can almost stand the skulls on the range viper, but with the black and high collars? just seems like they are going to come equiped with lightsabers.

I don't expect everything to be like this. The Flint... err Hawk i saw in Toyfare looked great.

Why do i like them? theyre new, different, fresh! and somewhat sigma 6 like which i love! its futuristic becus its the way of the future. children need GIJOE just as fans do. but basucly its GIJOE i support all thing JOE (accept gijoe extream)

i cant get any cleaer then that. its a good departure from the classic line. which....i admit am getting bored of.

that and those cobra viper commando's are just bad ass....HEY HASBRO! CROMB THOSE MOVIE VIPER MASKS!

hey no worries buddy! the way i see GIJOE he can be anything. ya know in 1964 he begain as a war toy kids bought him cus he was a pilot, military, navy, asternaut. the same theyre fathers who are ww2 war heros GIJOE captured the image of the american hero. in the 70's GIJOE retired and became an adventurer he could do mission like saving the tiger, or hunt the snow creature/bigfoot. he could take daring adventures and fight against terrorists or retreave a stolden idol from a gang of theives.

in the 80's hasbro made them 3inch figures with a new story of fighting a terrorist organization.

this movie is a re-vision. an update to that story line. few things change. and sometimes change can be good --in hopes GIJOE will last a few more years. #US1#

OMG! They look amazing, I want them all!

Why? i'm not trying to pick on you but given the negative reaction by most i was just wondering if you could be more specific?

alrighty

Zartan- so awesome to have a Zartan in full diguise, that or I will use him as Roll Bar

HD- look very close to the first rah version, I love that

Rip cord- look simalar to Battle corps Law, it will be awesome to have someone fight Wrath

Scarlett- I will use her as unname suporrt staff Green-Shirt female

Ship wreck- reminds me of the devil dues/ sigma version

Breaker- he sucks but still better the the 25th version

Viper Commando- alway up for another troop builder

I do hate the spring load weapons, but I always can toss those out

Using them as other characters or making customs is what I have in mind as well.

Who the hell is "Abel Ehaz"?

The Extreme example is only partly accurate. Your right that they were gimmick laden and less articulated, but they were also character driven. His point was that we WERE getting something "fresh and new". Would Sigma 6 be more appropriate?

You have a point there I think. These pics are WAY too small to give us anything to go on. But I was right in the other thread about Breaker having a vest over his body.

But the thing is, part of what made G.I. Joe what it is was the uniqueness of the figures. I was one who was willing to let that go, but these bodies DO seem pretty generic. I would not be surprised to find that Breaker and Shipwreck share a body.

Once we see bigger pictures or card art or card back or, well ANYTHING else, then we can start getting a more accurate idea. Who knows, maybe we will see them in standard military uniforms in later waves or even "classic" ones. We just don't have enough to go on.

Actually, I FULLY expect to see at least some 25th figures repainted in the line. Why? It is cheap and simple way to bolster it.

I'll probably get Shipwreck. It reminds me of the DD version, so I'll get it. The rest, no. Until I see Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, of course. I'll probably end up with those figures at some point.

I'll be saving my money!

I was thinking about this earlier. I'd like to see them IN PERSON to, ultimately, make a decision on them.

But beyond that, how, presuming you acquire them, would they fit into your Joeverse? I was thinking these guys, since they would have a more "uniform" look could be some kind of Action Force team.

I'm going to wait for bigger pictures to decide on these particular figures. That said, I defently want a Scarlett in the Accelartor suit. I just hope that they have that Movie Scarlett with her hair down instead of a ponytail like most of the pervious Scarlett's in the past(Yeah, I don't care her long hair affects the head articulation. Just been waiting for a Scarlett figure to have her hair down). Would add a nice change, espeically from almost all the photos, promo pictures, and scenes in the trailer show her with her hair down instead of a ponytail(I think only 1 promo shows her with a ponytail).

I was thinking about this earlier. I'd like to see them IN PERSON to, ultimately, make a decision on them.

But beyond that, how, presuming you acquire them, would they fit into your Joeverse? I was thinking these guys, since they would have a more "uniform" look could be some kind of Action Force team.

They're probably going to be "Battle Force 2050" for me. A slightly less silly, more functional than-their-predecessor unit attached to the Joes that specializes in field testing super-advanced weapon systems and "future warrior" style concepts. A group that has to be really bad ass and slightly crazy, because when their super-tech works, they're almost unstoppable, but when the prototypes start glitching out, they've gotta fall back on their basic military skills to get the job done. ;)

I'll probably make Matt Trakker the leader!

Or alternatively, they could be a "competitor-but-ally" for the Joes. A multinational counter-terrorist team that's supported by the US Intelligence community rather than the military (though still draws its' membership through the military, of course). They're good guys, but do things a little differently from the Joes and are threatening to prove the Joes "obsolete" and put them out of business (especially due to the advanced technology that gets assigned to the new unit). Kind of like what the "Phoenix Guard" could have been in DDP if they hadn't gone he "Bad Guys in Disguise" route. I think that'd be an amusing bit of metafiction combining the changes made to the Joes for the movie with the fears of some of the fanbase....

They're probably going to be "Battle Force 2050" for me. A slightly less silly, more functional than-their-predecessor unit attached to the Joes that specializes in field testing super-advanced weapon systems and "future warrior" style concepts. A group that has to be really bad ass and slightly crazy, because when their super-tech works, they're almost unstoppable, but when the prototypes start glitching out, they've gotta fall back on their basic military skills to get the job done. ;)

I'll probably make Matt Trakker the leader!

Or alternatively, they could be a "competitor-but-ally" for the Joes. A multinational counter-terrorist team that's supported by the US Intelligence community rather than the military (though still draws its' membership through the military, of course). They're good guys, but do things a little differently from the Joes and are threatening to prove the Joes "obsolete" and put them out of business (especially due to the advanced technology that gets assigned to the new unit). Kind of like what the "Phoenix Guard" could have been in DDP if they hadn't gone he "Bad Guys in Disguise" route. I think that'd be an amusing bit of metafiction combining the changes made to the Joes for the movie with the fears of some of the fanbase....

Well my first thought was a 25th version of the Oktober Guard, depending on if they have the right look for that. Probably not, but that "friendly rivalry" thing is cool. And I like the idea of using Trakker as the leader (or a member at any rate) is cool too...if I can find the bastard.

Question is though, just what ARE they going to do with/about the "Accelerator Suits". According to the toyfare article, they are some kind of "liquid metal" or some crap like that.

Most of the people that are so negatively inclined towards them are acting that way not because of any deficiency in the craftsmanship of the figures...they're just whining because it's not more of the same "classic" G.I. Joe. They're letting their issues with the movie cloud their opinion of the toys crafted for the movie.

I'm not whining, and I'm not letting anything cloud my opinion. I like GI Joe because of the unique, colorful characters. If I wanted generic military figures, I'd buy Corps stuff. That's all these are...generic military figures, with a slight sci-fi edge.

I'm fine with it though. Just gives me more money to spend on vintage stuff this year.

Most of the people that are so negatively inclined towards them are acting that way not because of any deficiency in the craftsmanship of the figures...they're just whining because it's not more of the same "classic" G.I. Joe. They're letting their issues with the movie cloud their opinion of the toys crafted for the movie.

I for one, am really getting sick of these "yes men", saying that anyone that opposes the new movie are whining. So since your supporting the line, by supporting this new movie, what are you shooting rainbows out of your butt?

This whining rhetoric is NOT acceptable, it is stereotypical, and degrading.

As far as the movie figures go, I'm sorry were you born yesterday? Anyone in their right mind KNOWS that ANY (most) movie figures suck. These are no exception. They may be using the 25th mold but thats pretty much the main thing they have going for them, as it has been noted alot of people will use them for custom fodder. Spring loaded weapons? What a joke. I have been collecting figures for quite awhile, and these do not impress. Oh but thats my judgement on the movie clouding my judgement. My bad.

Um, for your argument, hasbro actually has no problems doing repaints, and then doing tiny tweeks and calling it the hall of heroes line. I think most fans would want something better and new and can take change, but half the people have differing tastes. My tastes are half against the movie and once august is here, I will have more to go on and decide then. If you want different characters, and think Joe is getting stale, there are other properties out there. Also for the argument, Gi Joe has been around for around 45 years altogether and does NOT need this movie to keep it alive. I think the 25th line is renewing interest into the line, but the movie will take from it. Then resolute will also add to it again. Who knows, time will tell if the movie will bring the kiddies in.

Did you just come by my house last week offering me a bible? Tell me more about jesus please. Why do i keep hearing patriotic music in the background everytime I read that paragraph? This movie again, will not kill the line. The 25th line has made sure of that and possibly the resolute cartoon. With transformers, there was a classics line that sold before the movie, then when they exhausted all the movie characters, the classics line made a return. It was already said that if the TF movie did good or bad, the classics line would come back. The same will go with the Joe movie. BTW if the movie does tank, RAH will not be deemed a failure and burst into flames. And from the ashes we will not get a Extreme take 2, sigma 6 take 2 or a new spin off for that matter.

Oh also, please don't teach me that lesson again of buying more in spite of me, or I will have to buy more 25th in spite of you. Oh wait, I'm not afraid of change so that doesn't apply to me thank god.

Blah Blah Blah, I've already made my point. Do you listen to yourself?

This, america, is why you should vote for me for president. Again with the patriotic music. If you don't support the movie, you don't support america, and that in turn means you support the terrorists. Do you really want to support the terrorists? Then buy more!!

I do have a lick of business sense, and know Gi Joe will never die. This movie however will probably fade away i'm sure (anyone remember the americanized movie Godzilla?). I am sure after the movie, none of the fan sites will shut down. Toys, cartoons, and comics will still be made. Conventions will still be held, and the Joe con is safe. Life will move on.

I for one, am really getting sick of these "yes men", saying that anyone that opposes the new movie are whining. So since your supporting the line, by supporting this new movie, what are you shooting rainbows out of your butt?

This whining rhetoric is NOT acceptable, it is stereotypical, and degrading.

I don't really care what you think is "acceptable." Especially from a hypocrite who tries to be indignant about someone calling folks "whiners" while calling the person doing it a "yes man." Guess what...if you're not whining, THEN IT DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU. Nothing to see here, move out and draw fire. Or you can get butt-hurt because some people have a clearer view of the big picture.

As far as the movie figures go, I'm sorry were you born yesterday? Anyone in their right mind KNOWS that ANY (most) movie figures suck. These are no exception. They may be using the 25th mold but thats pretty much the main thing they have going for them, as it has been noted alot of people will use them for custom fodder. Spring loaded weapons? What a joke. I have been collecting figures for quite awhile, and these do not impress. Oh but thats my judgement on the movie clouding my judgement. My bad.

"Any" movie figures suck? Given how short-sighted and "stereotyping" (since you like that word) that statement is, I can only conclude that you, were in fact born yesterday. You also seem to have eyesight problems, given that there seem to be plenty of accessories packed in with the Joe movie figures besides the easily-discarded "spring loaded weapons."

Um, for your argument, hasbro actually has no problems doing repaints, and then doing tiny tweeks and calling it the hall of heroes line. I think most fans would want something better and new and can take change, but half the people have differing tastes. My tastes are half against the movie and once august is here, I will have more to go on and decide then. If you want different characters, and think Joe is getting stale, there are other properties out there. Also for the argument, Gi Joe has been around for around 45 years altogether and does NOT need this movie to keep it alive. I think the 25th line is renewing interest into the line, but the movie will take from it. Then resolute will also add to it again. Who knows, time will tell if the movie will bring the kiddies in.

G.I. Joe has been around 45 years, sure. It hasn't been the "same" G.I. Joe for that whole 45 years. If the 25th line is "renewing interest" why hasn't it got more shelf space than Joe Vs. Cobra, Valor vs. Venom, or even Sigma 6 did? Answer: because it's not nearly as successful as some of you think it is. Just because it's got a lower production rate and therefore sells through better doesn't mean it's burning up the toy aisles as far as retailers are concerned. Where are all the kids buying the 25th line now? Why are many Wal-Marts across the country dropping DVD Packs and Vehicles from their stores? Where are the new fans showing up on the boards? Resolute hasn't even aired yet, and is likely to be aired in a limited venue in a timeslot that's not ideal. If you can't understand why that's unlikely to cause mass interest in the line, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.

Did you just come by my house last week offering me a bible? Tell me more about jesus please. Why do i keep hearing patriotic music in the background everytime I read that paragraph? This movie again, will not kill the line. The 25th line has made sure of that and possibly the resolute cartoon. With transformers, there was a classics line that sold before the movie, then when they exhausted all the movie characters, the classics line made a return. It was already said that if the TF movie did good or bad, the classics line would come back. The same will go with the Joe movie. BTW if the movie does tank, RAH will not be deemed a failure and burst into flames. And from the ashes we will not get a Extreme take 2, sigma 6 take 2 or a new spin off for that matter.

You really think a "classics" line is guaranteed to come back if Wal-Mart just had to spend a half-year clearancing out unsold movie product of the same characters? Yeah..Hasbro can say "classics are coming back!" as much as they want. If Wal-Mart decides not to buy them next year...they ain't coming back. But given that you clearly don't understand the retailers' role in selling toy lines, I'm not surprised you don't get that fact. Here's a hint: Wal-Mart is the reason we got 8" Sigma 6 figures in the first place. What Wal-Mart wants, Wal-Mart gets. What they don't want...fails to earn a profit.

Oh also, please don't teach me that lesson again of buying more in spite of me, or I will have to buy more 25th in spite of you. Oh wait, I'm not afraid of change so that doesn't apply to me thank god.

If it doesn't apply to you, then why are you so upset about it? Methinks you doth protest too much.

Blah Blah Blah, I've already made my point. Do you listen to yourself?

Far as I can tell, all you've done is ramble and hurl insults. Apparently you don't listen to yourself.

This, america, is why you should vote for me for president. Again with the patriotic music. If you don't support the movie, you don't support america, and that in turn means you support the terrorists. Do you really want to support the terrorists? Then buy more!!

I do have a lick of business sense, and know Gi Joe will never die. This movie however will probably fade away i'm sure (anyone remember the americanized movie Godzilla?). I am sure after the movie, none of the fan sites will shut down. Toys, cartoons, and comics will still be made. Conventions will still be held, and the Joe con is safe. Life will move on.

You really should see someone about that anger management problem. I'm not sure what your inane political ranting is about, but if you don't understand why potentially millions, if not billions of dollars flooding the Joe franchise is better in the long term than the franchise losing millions of dollars in unsold toys and an unprofitable movie, then clearly you don't have a lick of business sense, despite your claims to the contrary.

Some of us don't want G.I. Joe to just "exist" or "continue existing." Some of us would prefer it actually be successful and become a genuine "A-List" brand again, instead of the "red-headed stepchild" status its' enjoyed at Hasbro basically since the mid-90's. Let's see G.I. Joe get and keep an amount of shelf-space at most stores that rivals Transformers or Star Wars instead of 1/4-1/2 that amount (at best). Let's see larger vehicles (Terror Dromes, Skystrikers, etc...), and more newly-tooled parts...all things that can happen with a highly profitable line. But not too likely with a line that loses a ton of money.

calm down guys theyre just toys. 0.o like em or hate em theyre gonna come out. and i am gonna buy them to support the brand.

Toys r serious bizniz. ;)

Toys are not serious, they're for fun. Thats what I thought. It's just the people that get pissy if you say something bad about the movie that irk me.

Toys are not serious, they're for fun. Thats what I thought. It's just the people that get pissy if you say something bad about the movie that irk me.

yeah, but whatcha goona do? theyre damn subborn. to be honest they acted like the transformer fan when the toys came out. now? now they want some of the movie toys of tf 2 you seen starscream? much better -very movie accurate. oh at first they say it sucks and its ugly but now after a toy review....heh....i seriously hope hasbro can dish out info and pics of the movie toys.

You mean the Transformers fans who were supposedly sending death threats to Michael Bay? @lol@

I'm not big on Transformers so I didn't witness it firsthand, but wasn't the pattern more like:

6 months prior to movie: ZOMG THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO SUCK! FLAMES ON OPTIMUS! MEGATRON ISN'T A GUN! BUMBLEBEE ISN'T A VW BUG! DETH TO MICHAEL BAY!

Day after movie comes out: That was awesome! I thought it was gonna suck but I really liked it. I'm gonna go see it again!

6 months after movie came out: Bayformers was the worst movie ever made!

Nice to see the arrogance and drama over who thinks they know MORE about toys and movies hasn't gone away?

Geeeeesh! @smilepunch@

I'm almost THIS upset about my current financial dilemma and the state of our economy, but I see some still have very little else to fret about but plastic toys and movies made about them?

Nice to see the arrogance and drama over who thinks they know MORE about toys and movies hasn't gone away?

Geeeeesh! @smilepunch@

I'm almost THIS upset about my current financial dilemma and the state of our economy, but I see some still have very little else to fret about but plastic toys and movies made about them?

with deluxe transformers and gijoe comic packs at 12 some bucks.....toy collecting has gotten harder......one would wonder what the movie toys will cost both tf and gijoe--will kids afrod the awesome toys? and for us collectors this is like the friggin dark ages where toys that once cost 9:99 has gone up to 12 -maybe even 14! the friggin' horror man!