Wolverine Origins Figures at TRU

invisiblewraithbeta

My TRU had one Logan on Tuesday. Then yesterday the pegs were restocked. They had about 6 Wolverine (yellow/blue), 4 or 5 Strike Mission, 2 Logan (jeans/tshirt) and one other character. I don't remember who it was though. I'm not sure whoelse is in this line, but I know it wasn't Gambit, Deadpool, Sabertooth or Weapon X.

Seening they didn't have his original brown costume figure I ended up buying the yellow & blue Wolverine and to be honest I am rather underwhelmed with him. I know there's many people who blast Mattel's DCIH line and say how these are 100X's better, but I'm not seeing it. Anyway back to this figure. Here's what I'd list for the Pros & Cons...

Pros -

1. Scale - I love the 3.75" scale and I like that they are a little larger in terms of mass than the DCIH.

2. Shoulder articulation - Ball-joints are a must on all figures.

3. Elbow articulation - I think on a figure this small the swivel at the elbow works well in replacing the upper arm swivel.

4. Wrist articulation - again all figures should have it.

5. Ankle articulation - again a must on all figures.

Cons -

1. Torso joint - I hate that style of joint. I'm much rather the ab-crunch.

2. Waist articulation - Or lack of. There's no reason a figure shouldn't have a waist cut.

3. Ball-jointed hip - I hate the way they look on a male figure, plus they never function as well as the shoulder. You always have to rotate the "ball" to a different angle first depending on how you want the leg to be posed. I think the best hip is the Horsemens t-cotch w/hinges...but they could have used their Jope design as that would have been better than what we got.

4. Double Knees - I've always hated it. Sure it gives the figure a larger range of motion, but the knee never looks right in any of them other than standing straight. While I personally prefer the old standard hinged knees I think a swivel/hinge like they used on the elbow would have been a better choice.

5. Paint - my TRU had about 6 of this Wolverine and all had some serious problems. The one I got looked the best, but he's far from perfect. Besides the sloppy mask on mine none of them had torso's that matched the color of the chest.

Overall he's a nice figure, but I don't really find it any better or any worse than the DCIH...just different. I'll still purchase them, but seeing I'm not a big Marvel fan I won't be buying all the characters in this line or the Marvel Universe. I'll just be buying certain ones that I really like.

IMGP4182.jpg

IMGP4181.jpg

IMGP4186.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found whole set today at my local TRU here in So. Cal

Employee just put out fresh case.

Breakdown of case:

1x sabretooth

1x maverick

1x deadpool

1x gambit

1x weapon x

1x strike mission wolverine

2x wolverine

2x logan

post-5264-1234665631_thumb.jpg

actually, that's not the breakdown. These cases have 12 figures. It seems that you missed the 2nd Deadpool and the brown Wolverine.

My TRU had one Logan on Tuesday. Then yesterday the pegs were restocked. They had about 6 Wolverine (yellow/blue), 4 or 5 Strike Mission, 2 Logan (jeans/tshirt) and one other character. I don't remember who it was though. I'm not sure whoelse is in this line, but I know it wasn't Gambit, Deadpool, Sabertooth or Weapon X.

Seening they didn't have his original brown costume figure I ended up buying the yellow & blue Wolverine and to be honest I am rather underwhelmed with him. I know there's many people who blast Mattel's DCIH line and say how these are 100X's better, but I'm not seeing it. Anyway back to this figure. Here's what I'd list for the Pros & Cons...

Pros -

1. Scale - I love the 3.75" scale and I like that they are a little larger in terms of mass than the DCIH.

2. Shoulder articulation - Ball-joints are a must on all figures.

3. Elbow articulation - I think on a figure this small the swivel at the elbow works well in replacing the upper arm swivel.

4. Wrist articulation - again all figures should have it.

5. Ankle articulation - again a must on all figures.

Cons -

1. Torso joint - I hate that style of joint. I'm much rather the ab-crunch.

2. Waist articulation - Or lack of. There's no reason a figure shouldn't have a waist cut.

3. Ball-jointed hip - I hate the way they look on a male figure, plus they never function as well as the shoulder. You always have to rotate the "ball" to a different angle first depending on how you want the leg to be posed. I think the best hip is the Horsemens t-cotch w/hinges...but they could have used their Jope design as that would have been better than what we got.

4. Double Knees - I've always hated it. Sure it gives the figure a larger range of motion, but the knee never looks right in any of them other than standing straight. While I personally prefer the old standard hinged knees I think a swivel/hinge like they used on the elbow would have been a better choice.

5. Paint - my TRU had about 6 of this Wolverine and all had some serious problems. The one I got looked the best, but he's far from perfect. Besides the sloppy mask on mine none of them had torso's that matched the color of the chest.

Overall he's a nice figure, but I don't really find it any better or any worse than the DCIH...just different. I'll still purchase them, but seeing I'm not a big Marvel fan I won't be buying all the characters in this line or the Marvel Universe. I'll just be buying certain ones that I really like.

great review... I completely agree that the torso joints on these figures is totally useless and ugly, and that they need waist cuts (just like the 25th Joes).

but it seems that some of your other "cons" are actually HUGE "Pros" to many, many, of us.

I like the ball joint hip, or even the GiJoe hips that will be used on the Marvel Universe figures (those won't have ball joint hips as a standard). I HATE the DCUC t-crotch.

The majority of us also love the double knee... it's simply fantastic! looks like a knee cap, and gives the most motion possible. great

great review... I completely agree that the torso joints on these figures is totally useless and ugly, and that they need waist cuts (just like the 25th Joes).

but it seems that some of your other "cons" are actually HUGE "Pros" to many, many, of us.

I like the ball joint hip, or even the GiJoe hips that will be used on the Marvel Universe figures (those won't have ball joint hips as a standard). I HATE the DCUC t-crotch.

The majority of us also love the double knee... it's simply fantastic! looks like a knee cap, and gives the most motion possible. great

I never liked the ball-jointed hips. I can live with the Joe hips on these, but my personal favorite is still the t-crotch with the outward hinge. I personally think that looks and moves the best. As for the knees. I'd much rather they have the swivel knee. (like the old 12" Joes) because with the double knee other than the legs standing straight the knee always looks odd. So with the swivel the knee cap would move yet the leg would still have a greater range of motion.

I found all of them except Deadpool, Maverick, and Brown Costume Wolverine yesterday at TRU in Raleigh, NC. I have to say that I am glad that they are doing comic inspired figures to start this line. Sign me up for this line since 6" Marvel Legends are on hiatis for the forseeable future. Hopefully the Iron Man and Spider-Man lines will give us new comic inspired characters.

the other day i found all of the figures except gambit, brown costume wolverine, and maverick. i was surprised to see that whoever got there first left me a deadpool, but after reading clam34's post about the case packout, i'm not that surprised anymore. the deadpool i got looks fine and dandy and all, but upon further inspection (i haven't opened these yet) he's missing his sword sheaths!

this little detail would be tough to spot since i didn't have another deadpool on the shelf to compare it to, but i actually noticed this before i brought it to the cash register. the reason i picked it up was because i wasn't sure how easy it would've been to find another one. i haven't seen these at any other store and haven't been back yet to the one TRU that i picked these up from, so i guess i have to wait for that march 1st street date.

That's some of the worst packaging I've ever seen.

I agree there... really crappy packaging, in both looks and quality.

first off, it's stupid looking. 2nd, its incredibly flimsy. It will be really difficult to collect this stuff MOC. and 3rd, they don't stack well

That's some of the worst packaging I've ever seen.

I agree there... really crappy packaging, in both looks and quality.

first off, it's stupid looking. 2nd, its incredibly flimsy. It will be really difficult to collect this stuff MOC. and 3rd, they don't stack well

Not to mention Wolverine's got a killer wave hair do.

I don't get the packaging either. I guess simple rectangular cards aren't good enough anymore. And Wolverine's hair does look terrible.

The upside is I didn't even have to think twice about collecting these or MU carded. Loose only for me.

I don't get the packaging either. I guess simple rectangular cards aren't good enough anymore. And Wolverine's hair does look terrible.

The upside is I didn't even have to think twice about collecting these or MU carded. Loose only for me.

I agree.. loose only for me too.

Toy manufacturers really seem to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to toy packaging...

if you have awesome packaging, you will sell tons more.

like the 25th Joes.. I have AT LEAST two of each, one to open and one to leave MOC.

Same with Marvel Legends (Toybiz)....

I hate the DCUC packaging, so I don't care to keep them MOC...

At my TRU I found Deadpool, Gambit, Maverick, Weapon X and uniformed Logan. The figures have great detailing and paint apps. I'm definitely a 6 inch fan and plan to continue buying whatever Hasbro manages to put out, but it looks like I'll also be getting the 3 3/4 line.

who else is in wave 2??

I know movie Logan, movie Sabertooth (or creed), and movie Deadpool... but who else?

I'm looking forward to wave 3 for the comic characters

I called my local TRU this past weekend. They told me they had them so I made a flying trip. When I got there I didn't see any at all. I asked and the lady I spoke to hadn't put them out yet. So she brought all she had out and I got to get what I wanted. They had the cartoon, Wolverine origins, and Fury Files. I got Iron Man from the FF line. I picked up Magneto, Wolverine, and Iceman from the cartoon. Then I got the yellow Wolverine, Logan, Gambit, Sabretooth, and Deadpool. I was pretty impressed with those. Plan to go back this weekend to look for the movie versions.