Final Crisis

The Great Bandito

Okay I've read all of Final Crisis. I get that Darkseid didn't really die but just inhabited the body of Dan Turpin. He managed to transmit the anti-life equation via the internet to most of the world and enslaved humanity. Barry Allen came back, and teamed up with Wally to do something. Batman shot Darkseid with a magic bullet but was hit with the Omega Sanction, which quite possibly didn't kill him, but more made him live horrible lives concurrently or so such nonsense. In issue 7, I got totally lost. We've got 50 Supermen from parallel worlds beating up on Mandrake, Barry and Wally outracing the Black Racer who seemingly has finally taken Darkseid. What I don't get is all of it. What the slag happened? Grant Morrison is too smart for his own good I think because I'm not completely stupid but I can't figure this out. Can anyone shed some light please?

I've come to loathe anything that has Grant Morrison attached to it. His JLA run was tame but his X-men, 7 Soldiers, Batman, and Final Crisis runs make my head hurt. I think the problem is that he has so many ideas in his head he crams them in every conversation and it makes not one bit of sense. I mean c'mon talking about sideways alternate reality god engines and baby infinite quantum black holes that shear the universe asunder is cool in a novel where you can expand that stuff but not for a comic...especially not your "big" event comic designed to draw people in. I read FC 7 and thought this would have been so much better if writer X did it (or based it on Morrison's ideas). Don't get me wrong the concept is kool. Writing what makes sense to only to you and not the masses is not.

I flipped through issue 7. The last page has Batman (Bruce Wayne, alive, of course) writing something on a wall in a cave in, what I gather, pre-historic times. Now I have not READ the issue but I imagine that even if I did I still wouldn't know anymore about what he's doing there than I do right now.

I'll try to give this a shot. Darkseid is falling into a black hole into the center of the universe, which somehow creates a rupture threatening the multiverse, endangering all of existence. Somehow, either just before or he fell or during his fall, he figured out the anti-life equation, which would give him control over all living beings.

Darkseid kills Orion by shooting a magic bullet back in time (I guess he thought Orion was the only person who could stop him). The evil New Gods are reborn on earth using human hosts and spread the anti-life equation over earth. They capture Dan Turpin and use him as the host for Darkseid's return.

Superman goes away on an adventure with a lady Monitor (Final Crisis #3) in the hope that he will get something that can save his wife Lois. Superman finds out that there is an evil Monitor who's superbad (worse than Darkseid apparently) named Mandrakk who was imprisoned by the other Monitors. However, he is now able to escape his prison because of the fracture in the multiverse. Superman and some other super people the Lady Monitor recruited end up beating up Mandrakk (they do this by combining their powers to activate a giant Superman robot who was built a long time ago by one of the founding Monitors). Mandrakk decides to go away and hide until the time is right to strike. (All this occurs in Superman Beyond 3-D). Superman comes back like 1 second later and then gets sucked into another adventure with the Legion to stop Superman-Prime (occurs in Legion of 3 Worlds but I didn't read it). Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this adventure takes too long and Superman comes back at the end of Final Crisis #6 too late to save Batman. On the plus side, Batman used Darkseid's magic bullet and shot Darkseid, mortally wounding Darkseid before he got zapped with the Omega Effect, aka the "death that is life!", which apparently forces Batman to live a bunch of consecutive sucky lives.

Superman then confronts Darkseid, who boasts that everyone on earth is now an extension of his evil will. Darkseid threatens Superman with his Omega Effect, but then decides to shoot Superman instead. Then, the two Flashes (Barry Allen and Wally West) zoom past Darkseid with the Black Racer (who is the personification of Death, I believe) in hot pursuit. The Black Racer pauses long enough to tell Darkseid that his time is up (not sure if the Black Racer stabbed Darkseid or not).

Then all the heroes and villains team up to defeat Libra's army. In the process, Doc Frankenstein frees Wonder Woman from her bondage. Wonder Woman then proceeds to lasso the planet (?) and binds up everyone on earth so they can't move. Superman then builds a miracle machine with the knowledge he gained from his adventures that occurred outside the main Final Crisis mini-series. Superman then sings a super musical note which destroys Darkseid (?). Just as Superman is getting ready to use the miracle machine to save the multiverse, Mandrakk appears, making good on his promise in Superman Beyond 3-D. (By the way, Mandrakk made Overman, an evil version of Superman from another universe into his vampire servant at the end of Superman Beyond 3-D.) Then 50 Supermen from the other universes show up, along with Nix Uotan (who is actually the multiverse Monitor) with Captain Carrot and his Zoo Crew, a bunch of angels, and some Green Lanterns (who took forever to get to Earth). The Supermen fry Overman and weaken Mandrakk enough for the Green Lanterns to finish him with an emerald energy spike. Superman uses the miracle machine to fix the multiverse. The Monitors know that their time is at end, but Nix somehow reawakens on earth. The super coalition led by Superman proceed to fix Kamandi's earth and the New Gods are reborn and get to live there now. (Well, except for Orion because he's still dead.)

At the end, Anthro (I guess he's the first man or something - he was at the beginning of Final Crisis #1) is an old man and finally dies. (I forgot to mention that Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl, and Captain Marvel shoot out a time capsule in a rocket during the final battle, which somehow lands at the beginning of time and crashes near Anthro.) At the very end, we see Batman show up and pay his last respects to Anthro and letting us know he's still alive (maybe he can get stuff from the time capsule to help him come back to the present?).

So now the Fourth World is over (some story that Jack Kirby created a long, long time ago) and now the Fifth World begins.

Well, that's the gist of it. I know I left out some of the side stories like the Super Young Team, who are apparently the reincarnation of the Forever People, but I don't know too much about them. Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention Aquaman somehow got resurrected during the final battle too, but I don't know how. Anyone feel free to correct me or add anything important I missed.

PharmV

Every company experiences its highs and lows, apparently its DC's time. As a staunch DC fan I can say that I don't like Final Crisis. I have all the books and they make no sense. DC really fumbled this one, books were released out of order, everything is a mess and Grant Morrison accomplished nothing, overall it was pretty boring and uneventful. When you turn Kalibak into a man/tiger hybrid its pretty well, DUMB. thank goodness for the saving grace of the Blackest Night storyline which is pretty much AWESOME!!

I'll try to give this a shot. Darkseid is falling into a black hole into the center of the universe, which somehow creates a rupture threatening the multiverse, endangering all of existence. Somehow, either just before or he fell or during his fall, he figured out the anti-life equation, which would give him control over all living beings.

Darkseid kills Orion by shooting a magic bullet back in time (I guess he thought Orion was the only person who could stop him). The evil New Gods are reborn on earth using human hosts and spread the anti-life equation over earth. They capture Dan Turpin and use him as the host for Darkseid's return.

Superman goes away on an adventure with a lady Monitor (Final Crisis #3) in the hope that he will get something that can save his wife Lois. Superman finds out that there is an evil Monitor who's superbad (worse than Darkseid apparently) named Mandrakk who was imprisoned by the other Monitors. However, he is now able to escape his prison because of the fracture in the multiverse. Superman and some other super people the Lady Monitor recruited end up beating up Mandrakk (they do this by combining their powers to activate a giant Superman robot who was built a long time ago by one of the founding Monitors). Mandrakk decides to go away and hide until the time is right to strike. (All this occurs in Superman Beyond 3-D). Superman comes back like 1 second later and then gets sucked into another adventure with the Legion to stop Superman-Prime (occurs in Legion of 3 Worlds but I didn't read it). Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this adventure takes too long and Superman comes back at the end of Final Crisis #6 too late to save Batman. On the plus side, Batman used Darkseid's magic bullet and shot Darkseid, mortally wounding Darkseid before he got zapped with the Omega Effect, aka the "death that is life!", which apparently forces Batman to live a bunch of consecutive sucky lives.

Superman then confronts Darkseid, who boasts that everyone on earth is now an extension of his evil will. Darkseid threatens Superman with his Omega Effect, but then decides to shoot Superman instead. Then, the two Flashes (Barry Allen and Wally West) zoom past Darkseid with the Black Racer (who is the personification of Death, I believe) in hot pursuit. The Black Racer pauses long enough to tell Darkseid that his time is up (not sure if the Black Racer stabbed Darkseid or not).

Then all the heroes and villains team up to defeat Libra's army. In the process, Doc Frankenstein frees Wonder Woman from her bondage. Wonder Woman then proceeds to lasso the planet (?) and binds up everyone on earth so they can't move. Superman then builds a miracle machine with the knowledge he gained from his adventures that occurred outside the main Final Crisis mini-series. Superman then sings a super musical note which destroys Darkseid (?). Just as Superman is getting ready to use the miracle machine to save the multiverse, Mandrakk appears, making good on his promise in Superman Beyond 3-D. (By the way, Mandrakk made Overman, an evil version of Superman from another universe into his vampire servant at the end of Superman Beyond 3-D.) Then 50 Supermen from the other universes show up, along with Nix Uotan (who is actually the multiverse Monitor) with Captain Carrot and his Zoo Crew, a bunch of angels, and some Green Lanterns (who took forever to get to Earth). The Supermen fry Overman and weaken Mandrakk enough for the Green Lanterns to finish him with an emerald energy spike. Superman uses the miracle machine to fix the multiverse. The Monitors know that their time is at end, but Nix somehow reawakens on earth. The super coalition led by Superman proceed to fix Kamandi's earth and the New Gods are reborn and get to live there now. (Well, except for Orion because he's still dead.)

At the end, Anthro (I guess he's the first man or something - he was at the beginning of Final Crisis #1) is an old man and finally dies. (I forgot to mention that Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl, and Captain Marvel shoot out a time capsule in a rocket during the final battle, which somehow lands at the beginning of time and crashes near Anthro.) At the very end, we see Batman show up and pay his last respects to Anthro and letting us know he's still alive (maybe he can get stuff from the time capsule to help him come back to the present?).

So now the Fourth World is over (some story that Jack Kirby created a long, long time ago) and now the Fifth World begins.

Well, that's the gist of it. I know I left out some of the side stories like the Super Young Team, who are apparently the reincarnation of the Forever People, but I don't know too much about them. Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention Aquaman somehow got resurrected during the final battle too, but I don't know how. Anyone feel free to correct me or add anything important I missed.

PharmV

That made more sense that the comics!!!! Morrison is still one crazy SOB though......

I am with The Great Bandit, I don't consider myself stupid, but there was waaayyyyyyyyy too much going on here. If this was to be an end to the crisis trilogy they lost a lot of the avaerage reader on this. Thank you for the clarification if I had not picked up issue 7 I would have searched for the whole series, you actually made the story sound interesting. Maybe it's just me but didn't the new god Orion die during count down? When did he come back to life to die again?

I am with The Great Bandit, I don't consider myself stupid, but there was waaayyyyyyyyy too much going on here. If this was to be an end to the crisis trilogy they lost a lot of the avaerage reader on this. Thank you for the clarification if I had not picked up issue 7 I would have searched for the whole series, you actually made the story sound interesting. Maybe it's just me but didn't the new god Orion die during count down? When did he come back to life to die again?

Due to an editorial oversight, Orion dies in a different way in the Death of the New Gods miniseries, although Final Crisis #1 was written first. (I didn't read Death of the New Gods, so I don't know how Orion died there.) Grant Morrison tries to explain away this continuity gaffe by having Darkseid tell Batman that Orion was fated to die in the final battle, "splintered like light through a prism in an infinite number of deaths" in Final Crisis #6.

Honestly, the title "Final Crisis" was very misleading in my opinion. The story didn't seem to affect the other DC titles that much. You may or may not care for Marvel's Secret Invasion (I didn't), but at least that crossover had a rippling effect across other Marvel comics. If Final Crisis was renamed "The Fifth World" or something that sounded New Gods-centric, I think it would have been better received, especially if they put back up stories or at least annotations at the end of each issue explaining all these New Gods concepts. I had to go to message boards to rely on hardcore DC fans to explain a lot of the back story of Final Crisis. I also didn't like that you had to pick up other series (like Superman Beyond 3D) to get the full story. If you didn't read SB-3D, you would be wondering who the heck is this Mandrakk guy in Final Crisis #7?

I guess the whole point of Final Crisis was to firmly re-establish the multiverse and say that all stories and concepts that were told in the past can be revisited again. Heh, it's sort of ironic since the original Crisis streamlined, if not try to do away with the multiverse. @firedevil@

PharmV

I haven't been reading dc comics lately, but i do know about the next Green Lantern biggest arc. Does anyone wonder whose heroes and villains will be back from the dead during the "Blackest night", now that there are a lot of casualties in the DCU after FC#7?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Earth-2 Superman (I think he died in Inifinite Crisis fighting Superman-Prime) and Martian Manhunter have been confirmed via the DC Direct toy solicits. I think Geoff Johns said that the original Firestorm would be a black lantern. I thought Aquaman was going to be a Black Lantern, but Final Crisis #7 seems to indicate otherwise. Other than that, it's open speculation.

PharmV

Thatnks for the long winded explanation but it all sounds like a bunch of crazy bull shadookie. I'm glad i don't read the comics anymore. i stoped when they killed superman then brought him back and then took away wolverines claws what a damn shame. but anyway i'm with the rest of you i read my mans post and got a massive headach.

Thats just way to much like what if kinda writeing than should be in a regular run of a comic line. Don't get me wrong i'm not all about a simple story line but good god come on now. i think only steve hawkings could follow that first time through lol.

I guess the whole point of Final Crisis was to firmly re-establish the multiverse and say that all stories and concepts that were told in the past can be revisited again. Heh, it's sort of ironic since the original Crisis streamlined, if not try to do away with the multiverse. @firedevil@

Ah, yes. The continuity "fixing" plot device.

Yeah, editors will be using that dumb "multiple earths" plot device 'til the end of time. Don't like the continuity? Use the fact that there are a billion Earths to change it. Marvel can do the same thing...their plot device just involves making a deal with Memphisto. One of my least favorite things about comics.

Can anyone shed some light please?

Not me.

I'm done with stuff like this. I tried to read that Superman 3-D book, I couldn't make it through the first issue. I didn't know what the heck was going on.

I bought #1&2. It's hard to figure out the story. All the FC tie in books are so messed up. No idea what's happening and the FC: Legion is delayed after #2.

Ah, yes. The continuity "fixing" plot device.

Yeah, editors will be using that dumb "multiple earths" plot device 'til the end of time. Don't like the continuity? Use the fact that there are a billion Earths to change it. Marvel can do the same thing...their plot device just involves making a deal with Memphisto. One of my least favorite things about comics.

I don't see a problem with this plot device. It works. It explains everything. Now there is no such thing as a continuity error since the error in question took place in an alternate universe. It's a smart way to explain away errors.

In truth is that, there was nothing wrong with the DC universe and Grant ruined everything. Dan Jurgens fixed everything in Zero Hour and it made perfect sense. He grafted all the histories of the DC properties, including Captain Marvel, Captain Atom and some others into the main stream DC Universe. These new writers seem to be bored and decided to create a new crisis and ruined it. Zero Hour came with a full 2 page spread of history for DC in a linear path but all these new dudes looking for angles ruined it. Every other storyline is pretty good right now, even the death of the New Gods was good, but there is too much going on with books that are linked that make no sense, everything is out of order. They need to remove some of the head editors and get someone in there who can fix everything. The whole Monitor situation is stupid, even the return of the New Gods wasn't bad but at the end it sucked. I can't wait until the entire mess is over with.

yeah, they created a real crisis

I do agree there's just way too much stuff going on right now. Last month, Wizard had a wish list type thing. They wished DC would get their act together and make everything more cohesive. I think we all agree. Continuity is important. Maybe not in the 60s but times have changed. It's been important since the 80s at least. DC can't be letting down their fans, not in these troubled times. If we're gonna spend our extra money on comics, we want them done right.

I'm kinda in the camp that Final Crisis COULD have worked but the way it was implemented (and who they chose to tell the story) sucked. When I step back and look at the story it was pretty damn smooth.....the bad guys won. I think a "simpler" writer would have stuck with that made a halfway decent story. Grant turned it into a 9 issue headache that I will bag and never read again. The only decent thing was the Legion story and that got delayed. Basically DC blew this one bad and what could have been a good story died a painful death because Dc fan were just as confused as newcomers as to what the hell was going on. Grant Morrison should not be allowed to write any mainstream DC titles. I think Vertigo fits him much better.

Went to the comic store and my storage box is full beyond measure

then i hear all about this Final Crisis and I am lost and some of the Marvel stuff is crazy as well

now I come home to think over what i need to buy or put away and then I read Pharmv's breakdown, and dagnabbit!!! I am sticking with Marvel

(and they are crazy 2!!!!)