Anyone reading Star Trek Countdown?

JayC

The first issue just came out this week and it's actually pretty good. The story is by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

Spoilers below. Highlight if you want to read:

The story apprently takes place some time after the events of Nemesis. Spocks peace efforts on Romulus have made progress and he is now actually able to live on the planet lawfully and a full fledged Ambassadore for the Federation. Basically his underground movement has been allowed to come above ground and Romulus is the planet he calls home now.

Some star in a neighboring system is going super-nova and according to Spock threatens to possibly to destroy Romulus. A mining ship who is commanded by a Captain Nero was near the Nova system when the start first sent out intial shockwaves and got to witness the destructive force behind it first had.

Anyway Spock brings his concerns to the Romulan Council and a possible solution to stop it by mining some rare ore found in the Romulan system and taking it to Vulcan so that they can use their more advance technology to create a bomb that would cause an artifical black hole to stop the nova star. Remus adds his support to Spocks theory but the council doesn't except Spocks findings. They don't believe the star poses a threat to Romulus and not willing to give their rare ore to the Vulcans.

Later Remus goes to Spock and offers to help Spock get this ore and take it to Vulcan despite the councils objections. Remus has a wife and kid and doesn't want their lives risked by bureaucratic foolishness. Spock and Remus along with his Romulan mining crew set out on the mining ship to get Spock's ore when they are attacked and boarded by some remans. A standoff ensues and then sunddenly the NCC 1701-E comes out of nowhere to the rescue of the mining ship. On the last page we see Captain Data in a new updated starfleet uniform offer his assitance and that was the end of issue #1.

It's a 4-part mini-series.

It seems to be tieing up the loose ends left from Nemesis which I am glad to see. If your wanting a nice introduction for the new movie I think this series might be worth picking up.

I'll definitely be checking this series out.

I need to do a run to the local comic shop soon!

Thanks for the heads up Jay.

I bought the first issue yesteday and liked it.

My only gripe it that one of the Romulans said somthing along the lines of "get your @$$ up here" when retreiving a landing party that beamed down somewhere. Language like that isn't even used by 24th century humans, much less an alien race. But oh well...

Spoiler:

I wonder if that's really Data as the Captain of the Enterprise or B4. We'll see.

Well it was my assumption that basically B4 would end up becoming DATA that basically the way they left it in Nemesis is that they had downloaded Data's essence into B4 and it was slowy processing and that B4 was becoming Data.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 2 came out this week. So far I've really liked it...suprisingly. Nice to get a look at how the 24th century is coming along these days. SPOILER:

Well it was my assumption that basically B4 would end up becoming DATA that basically the way they left it in Nemesis is that they had downloaded Data's essence into B4 and it was slowy processing and that B4 was becoming Data.

Looks like that's pretty much what happened. If either Data or Picard make even the smallest cameo in the new movie, I'll be one happy fan. I know there's probably no chance of that, however....

The Data probably is the B4.

If you go to the Star Trek Online game site they're doing a road to 2409 which explains the 30 year gap that takes place for the new MMO they're creating. In the most recent one they explain that Geordi temporalily retires from starfleet to work at the Daystrom insititute to work on re-establishing the Data persona in the B-4.

If you haven't checked these out they are alot of fun for a trekker to read and explain alot of the post-nemisis storyline for those who are curious. They've done 5 or 6 so far, I suggest checking them out.

http://www.startrekonline.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I just read issue 4 of Countdown. Spoilers below, highlight to read.

The overall story was decent but the ending seemed rushed to me, I would love to see them do a full novel of this story. Nero and his supership along with Spock and his little ship get sucked through the blackhole thing, so i would guess they come out the other end in the past.

My only real complaint I find with this story is how Nero who was nothing more than a simple minor seems to have become this great tactician who is able to match wits with the like of Data, Picard and Worf. I mean it makes for a more interesting bad guy but they should have made him an ex-romulan commander or something instead of just a miner.

It seems pretty clear that whatever happens in the past it is going to alter history and essentially wipe out decades of established lore. From a writers stand-point I can see how not being tied to all that established stuff can be appealing and allow people more freedom to possibly come up with better stories for future movies. From a fan standpoint I'm not sure how well they will be willing to except that. Granted we will always have those classic stories to watch whenever we like on DVD so its not like they really disappear, but fans can be a finicky bunch so who knows. If this new movie is really enjoyable and done well fans will probably come along and eventually except this new cast and lore, but if its medicore or even bad this thing will be done before it even beigns IMO.

I just read it too. Flipping through the pages in the comic shop, I was really mad because it looked like they killed Worf. That would be a no-no. But having read it, it seems it might turn out to be one of those things that Klingons bounce back from.

I'm not too worried about the new movie wiping out everything we knew. Didn't I read somewhere that it would be one of those alternate time lines/dimensions? Maybe? I don't know...we'll see. No matter what, someone can always do a story, at any given time, in movies or in TV, that can bring back everything we knew. It's Star Trek, and it's Sci Fi. Anything can be undone.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that any changes in the past are establishing an "alternate timeline." The original one will still exist and may even still continue/be revisited in other forms, but a new "movie-continuity" will be established so they can make sequels to the upcoming film without being locked into a specific continuity.

Parallel timelines, basically.

Yeah well thats pretty much a given. Anyone who watches Star Trek knows when you change something in time it causes a divergant timeline and there millions of timelines out there (hence that TNG episode where Worf was traveling through all the different timelines and the universe ended up getting filled with hundereds of Enterprise D's from all the different universes'). Still though whether you just go back and watch old episodes or pretend the orginal timeline is still going on somewhere its the same thing, this movie is a fresh start and pretty much anything can be changed and anything previously established has no real bearing on things now. If the movie is good I can live with that, just not sure if most fans will feel that same way???

• 2 weeks later...

I read the story and Not to give anything away, but why couldn't this story have been used in the movie? I would have thought it would have been a great way to bridge Realities, so to speak!

Either way, I am excited about this movie.

Wow! What a disappointment!

After reading about the upcoming Saratoga in Wave 4, I had to go online and find out what else was coming up. Going by Entertainment Earth's lists of Waves 1 to 3, it looks like we're in for a bunch of re-releases and "battle-damaged" versions. There are no new molds at all on the horizon. No Excelsior. No Klingon Battle Cruiser. Nothing. This is usually a bad move.

1. Fans are going to get sick of the same four molds.

2. Most people don't want broken versions of these ships.

This is what was killing Johnny Lightning. Why does Mattel think this will work for them? Spring for a new mold, Mattel. We'll buy it!!!