Should Superman movies keep the theme?

Dragonrider1227

I understand they want to do a revamp for Superman. If this happens, should they keep John Williams' score? I give a big resounding YES on that. It just won't really seem like Superman without it. I mean, have you noticed how every Superman theme since them always tries to sound like that? If they DID write a new one, it would probably end up going the same way. I also kinda hope they keep Brandon Routh. I liked his Superman and think we haven't gotten a full scope of what he can do yet. But being a revamp, it's unlikely

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're going to revamp/reboot, they should get new music. You can't have it both ways. Either it's a reboot or it's not. If you have things that remind everyone of the old films, you're defeating yourself and your goal.

I think they could get by without it if they come up with something like the Superman animated series theme song. It seemed like it was influenced by John Williams' score, but it was unique and still sounded like and was worthy of Superman.

I also liked Brandon Routh and would prefer they stick with him. Personally, my preference would be they stick with Routh, Singer, and the same stuff from Superman Returns; just let him do what he did with the second X-Men movie (proof Singer's capable of making a great film with good action and story). Don't start over yet again. We've watched the origin enough times, and Singer laid good ground work (just maybe drop Supes' son the way they dropped Storm's accent from X-Men to X-Men 2).

Getting all new everything would be best.

I agree, Keep the song, but no overrated Singer no Brandon, no son please. @loll@ .....and for the love of Krypton can we get a serious Lex like on smallvile or the JLU cartoons, I'm tiered of Lex being portrayed as a clown/low rate con man.

The music is almost as iconic as the character. Definitely keep it. Revamp or not, themes are crucial to any series. Take Star Trek, Star Wars, hell, even the NL Vacations - all have their themes worked in somehow, if not the main theme, then parts of it.

Let's see, definitely keep the music, it's iconic and it can't be a Superman film without it!!!

Otherwise, while I may have liked Routh, they need to completely erase all memories of the last film, and start over fresh, with a new director, actors, and writers!!! I wonder if Nolan could do it!!! LOL!!!

the batman theme music from the first movies is nothing. It doesn't matter that they replaced it because it wasn't iconic whatsoever. I can't even remember it off the top of my head.

The Superman music, IS SUPERMAN. KEEP IT.

You have to keep Indiana Jones music, Starwars music, and Superman music.

the batman theme music from the first movies is nothing. It doesn't matter that they replaced it because it wasn't iconic whatsoever. I can't even remember it off the top of my head.

The Superman music, IS SUPERMAN. KEEP IT.

You have to keep Indiana Jones music, Starwars music, and Superman music.

I can't agree more when you hear the opening of the song you know instantly that it's superman. and I don't know why every one was so down on spacey i thought it was great preformance. mean and shady as hell with just a sprinkel of humor.

Routh did a great job of seeming like reeves but makeing it his own as well. I also agree with kill the kid. it may work for some heroes to have kids but not for superman at least not yet maybe later down the road. But for that matter i say kill off lex too. I myself am really over superman and lex fighting storyline.

Lets bring in some GD monsters darkside metallo doomsday and others. I myself would like to see the death of superman includeing the reserection of superman with the cyborg sups and eradicator storyline .

But the song stays

The Superman theme is one of the most enduring aspects of Superman. It has been associated with all things Superman as the Star Wars theme is to Star Wars. The theme completely embodies Superman, heck even the music scream "SUPERMAN". It's heroic and it convey's the power, magesty, and humility of Superman. I love it and I hope it remains for any new and upcoming Superman movies.

Now, please remove that pathetic Singer from the franchise, he is horrible. I hated his X-Men movies and I hate Superman Returns even more, it was terrible film making, my word of mouth killed it for everyone around me and everyone I know who saw it, thought it was terrible. The cast was totally horrid, Spacey as Lex was a common thug, Perry was inert, Lois was weak, the only one cast right was Jimmy Walker..oops, I meant Jimmy Olsen. Oh and the biggest flop, giving Lois a kid...dumb, dumb, super dumb.

NO.

if Batman doesn't keep his theme, neither should Superman.

Nolan's theme is the only Batman theme worth keeping. The Adam West Batman theme and the Burton theme does not fit in with Nolan's serious take on Batman. But John William's theme is perfect for the character. Unless the movie is going to be in a complete opposite direction from the character we all know and love it should stay. Just because Batman didn't keep previous themes that didn't fit in with the new movie doesn't mean Superman shouldn't keep his theme if it fits the overall feel of the movie.

I also liked Brandon Routh and would prefer they stick with him. Personally, my preference would be they stick with Routh, Singer, and the same stuff from Superman Returns; just let him do what he did with the second X-Men movie (proof Singer's capable of making a great film with good action and story). Don't start over yet again. We've watched the origin enough times, and Singer laid good ground work (just maybe drop Supes' son the way they dropped Storm's accent from X-Men to X-Men 2).

I liked Routh as well, for what little dialogue he was given he shined as Superman and can definitely grow in the role. However

I think they should get another director who truly does understand Superman, to me Singer isn't the one for that character. IMO

Singer painted himself to much into a corner because of his lack of originality by making it a loose sequel rather than start

fresh like Nolan did, he also anchored Superman by introducing an illegitimate child into the mix, and simply dropping him will

just be a very lazy not to mention be a clear indicator that Singer should have never introduced him in the first place.

I'm amazed the scores for Batman Begins and Dark Knight are getting much love here. They've easily the worst part of those movies. They're serviceable (ie the work when paired with the movie), but there's very little that's memorable about them. A truly great soundtrack should be able to stand on its' own in addition to enhancing the film they're attached to. I'm thinking some folks are so intensely fannish over Nolan's films that they refuse to believe any aspect of it is inferior to the prior Bat-films...they're wrong, at least in the soundtrack department. Elfman's score for Batman was great stuff, made even better when they retooled it for the animated series.

Some things can be timeless and transcend "reboots." Just like Superman's costume, John Williams' theme for Superman is so readily identifiable with the character that I think you can keep it without hurting any chance of "rebooting" the franchise.

Getting all new everything would be best.

I agree, Keep the song, but no overrated Singer no Brandon, no son please. @loll@ .....and for the love of Krypton can we get a serious Lex like on smallvile or the JLU cartoons, I'm tiered of Lex being portrayed as a clown/low rate con man.

I agree with you but I would have another paired with Lex like Braniac or even introduce Darkseid. If they were to bring in Darkseid and did it right it would make as much money as the Dark Knight. Let's face it, when it comes to Superman in the movies he needs help. He's so powerful it's hard to give him a interesting challenge and I think Darkseid and the New Gods are the answer.

darkseid.jpg