Playmates New Movie Toys

Artistrix

New images and details for the Enterprise vehicle.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14268

The New Star Trek Enterprise Bridge Playset From Playmates Toys

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14269

The New Star Trek Transporter Room Playset From Playmates Toys

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14270

The New Star Trek 3.75" Galaxy Series Figures From Playmates Toys

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14271

The New Star Trek 6" Warp Series Figures From Playmates Toys

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14272

The New Star Trek 12" Command Series Figures From Playmates Toys

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=12&itemid=14273

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figure the glass panels are probably some kind of displays/readouts There looks to be something etched on the one in the upper right corner, at least. I doubt they're just putting up glass panels just for aesthetics.

I kinda thought that the glass panels were so all the "beautiful" people on the bridge can easily check their reflections; hair, teeth, makeup etc......

Well I did......

I'm just not feeling the figures at all. It looks like they are using the same construction as the Indiana Jones figures (different companies I know - but Hasbro did refer to having to use an outside source for IJ...). The 3.75 are the only ones I'd be interested in but this first wave is not pretty. Ironically, Spock looks more like Nimoy than Quinto.

I'm also bummed that the Enterprise isn't more detailed. Playmates did make great ships back in the 90's, but look at Diamond Select's versions next to Playmates and there are no comparisons - especially when MSRP appears to only be 5 dollars less for the Playmates' one. I really wanted that art-deco style to show through and it's not there.

I'm just not feeling the figures at all. It looks like they are using the same construction as the Indiana Jones figures (different companies I know - but Hasbro did refer to having to use an outside source for IJ...). The 3.75 are the only ones I'd be interested in but this first wave is not pretty. Ironically, Spock looks more like Nimoy than Quinto.

I'm also bummed that the Enterprise isn't more detailed. Playmates did make great ships back in the 90's, but look at Diamond Select's versions next to Playmates and there are no comparisons - especially when MSRP appears to only be 5 dollars less for the Playmates' one. I really wanted that art-deco style to show through and it's not there.

Well I think the line looks decent and I to own all those old Playmates ships and don't see any noticable lack of difference in detail to this new ship as opposed to the old ones, but you comparing the Playmates stuff to the Diamond is like comparing apples and oranges. The Diamond ships are $50+ a pop and made for collectors. Playmates is making this line for mass retail and aiming it for kids who will hopefully become interested in Star Trek with the new action packed movie. Not to say collectors can't get into this line, but you have to realize that you are not the primary target market here and that keeping costs down and this movie spawning sequels is essential if this line is going to survive.

The Diamond Select Enterprise D is 34.99 (unless you get it from a high-dollar comic shop or something) - the upcoming Playmates Movie-prise is 29.99 MSRP or... 34.99 online (at BBTS anyway). So, that's only five dollars difference at retail and no difference online.

Even the DS mass market stuff like the Archer Enterprise was beautifully detailed and that came out years ago. Like I said, Playmates isn't bad so much as not quite up to par it seems. Even though I know I'll be waiting awhile, I sold my Playmates Enterprise B the minute I saw pics of the DS version from Toy Fair this year!

(Wheeljack35 @ Mar 28 2009, 01:55 PM) *

The bridge is only $25?

This is cool I really want this

Where did you see that? Could it be possible that this will be a *****GASP**** reasonably priced modern toy line!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

I better calm down a little.....

And, as Walky's comic points out, it's 25 dollars for Kirk, the chair and the "floor" and you have to buy the rest of the figures to complete the bridge. So, not quite as inexpensive as one might be led to believe.

I think it's cute that Playmates is still in the 90's with the T-crotch.

Why, SW and IJ are/were also T-crotch. Anyway does anyone know what the MSRP is on the basic 4" figures? I like the bridge and was planning on maybe getting all the figures to complete it and was surprised to see the transporter room is also a build a enviroment (for lack of a beeter phrase) set. I'm just trying to gauge how much money I need to set aside.

I think it's cute that Playmates is still in the 90's with the T-crotch.

Why, SW and IJ are/were also T-crotch.

Good examples. Those are both 3 3/4" and I believe one of them is now COMPLETELY KAPUT. :)

I like the Enterprise ship and the Transporter looks cool to. The figures aren't as articulated as some other lines but they are cheaper to and really don't look to bad. I may pick up a few. I hope they make the other crew members in regular uniforms and not just cadet ones.

• 2 weeks later...

TRU has started putting these out. I saw the 6" figures and the 3.75" playsets (no fig.s though) yesterday, but didn't get any. They looked decent, but I'm not sure if I want to collect this line yet. BTW, the Bridge playset was $29.99, Transporter $22.99. I have read posts of other people finding all of these (3.75" too) at other TRUs, so start looking if you're interested.

TRU has started putting these out. I saw the 6" figures and the 3.75" playsets (no fig.s though) yesterday, but didn't get any. They looked decent, but I'm not sure if I want to collect this line yet. BTW, the Bridge playset was $29.99, Transporter $22.99. I have read posts of other people finding all of these (3.75" too) at other TRUs, so start looking if you're interested.

really???!!!!?? 0W0 i'll check out my toysrus this weekend.... this iws the toyline i've been waiting for!!!!

the obvious question is where? Which TRUs have them, and what part of the country?

the obvious question is where? Which TRUs have them, and what part of the country?

Checked out my local TRU, and they had the 12" figures on the shelf. However, a VERY helpful manager checked the back and pulled out the 6" figures, the 3.75" figures, the Bridge and Transporter Room playsets, and the Enterprise herself. I bought the 6" Kirk and the Enterprise, but thinking about going back for a 3.75" Kirk and Spock. Don't have a camera to take pics, but my Enterprise was okay... there was some glue slop the junction of the secondary hull and warp engine pylons, as well as some slop on one of the warp engines. This was nothing too major, and some fine sandpaper would get rid of it if it starts to REALLY bother me. Also, it did not come with batteries, which makes some sense since there is no "try me" option for the ship. I am a bit dissapointed about not having seperate buttons for the sounds, and that there is movie dialogue attached to most of them. Also, my bridge button seems to stick every now and again. Also, the ship is smaller than I imagined, given the size of the box.

However, all this said, I absolutely love the toy and was so excited to see new Trek on the shelves again!

Saw all of these toys tonight at a TRU in GA.Only picked up the 3.75" Sulu and Uhura just to see if I liked them. FOr the most part I do. SUlu's torso is a bit on the clunky side ad the t-crotch construction is pretty out dated but I have to say over all I'm impressed. More so than I thought I wouold be. Gonna have to check my financies and see if I can swing collectiong this line...

ANd word on if there is a wave 2 or what will be in it?

I just saw them in Minnesota.

I'd like to see the mid sized figures next to some 90s Playmates ST or some MLs. I hear they're 4'', then I hear they're 6''. Looking at them in the store, they have to be taller than the 90s playmantes stuff, but I would also guess they're shorter than MLs. Maybe they're 5''????

Either way, I was tempted to get them. They look pretty sharp, IMO. I liked the two Spocks....

One complaint...and I guess it's just for toys in general.....young Spock's piant was messed up on two different places on his face. It takes a lot of balls for toy companies to charge as much as they do and not even worry about getting a good paint job. What are we paying for, here? That was the only young Spock there. Had it been good, I may have walked out with a Star Trek toy.