So....who's going back to the theatres this weekend and catch The Dark Knight again?

Lady Jaye

Well since I missed out on the IMAX experience last time, I will be catching an airing for sure the second time!! I know I've watched this movie plenty at home now, but there's nothing like seeing it on the big screen!! And with so many viewings, I can really stay with the film so much better and really enjoy every line and every intricacy of the film!! Most all, I'll be able to enjoy Heath's performance so much more!!!

So who's going back?? Will you be attending a regular theater or an IMAX one???

Will the people that vote for the Oscars actually take notice of how great a film this is, or at least prove to them how phenomenal a performance Heath Ledger gave in the movie??

Will the people that vote for the Oscars actually take notice of how great a film this is, or at least prove to them how phenomenal a performance Heath Ledger gave in the movie??

The people that will vote for the movie will be members of the Academy for Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. They will vote based on the criteria for which the movie is nominated--and they WILL NOT vote for the film based upon how many of the public like it ( which is a serious misconception many of the public believe).

For that sort of thing, there's the People's Choice awards.

While Ledgers performance might have the stuff for a nominate and Oscar for Best Supporting Actor--I doubt he'll get Best Actor, or the film get Best Picture.

I know that they don't care what the public likes, but the one of the reasons for re-releasing it at this time tis to sway the voters themselves!!! Give them a chance to hopefully catch it again, and cement the fact that Heath gave the performace of a lifetime, and deserves the best supporting actor Oscar!

OMG LADY!!!! Girl I almost for got about the re-release! Thanks sweety or I would have been left out lookin like a smacked ass lol.

& hell to the motha lovin yeah I'm going back to see my baby in action one more time. I just hate copeing with packed theators. Maby my local Imax will have more seats available this time. Again thanks for the reminder Lady.

OMG LADY!!!! Girl I almost for got about the re-release! Thanks sweety

No problem babe, glad I could help!!! I'm going to get another group together like I did last time!! I got like 16 people to go opening night!! Can't wait to catch it on the enormous screen!!!

Oh and tomorrow we get the Oscar announcements!! Heath better get his nomination!!!

Okay, so happy Heath got his nomination!! And I just saw the list, and I gotta say, he better win!!! I can't see anyone on the list that would beat him out!! I'm sure Arrow will come in and prove me with an inside look on how the voters will vote, but nevertheless, Heath shold not be beaten!!!!

Okay, so happy Heath got his nomination!! And I just saw the list, and I gotta say, he better win!!! I can't see anyone on the list that would beat him out!! I'm sure Arrow will come in and prove me with an inside look on how the voters will vote, but nevertheless, Heath shold not be beaten!!!!

Don't be a twit, okay? Try really hard. We are rooting for ya.

No nominations for DK as best picture.

With this being the case, you can pretty much forget about ANY superhero movie taking home an Oscar. Ever.

Not too disappointed though. Oscars and stuff like that is one thing I couldn't care less about.

Superhero films are considered a juvenile genre--they may have technical merits to them, but they often lack many other qualities that they Academy looks for in nominating films.

A good example is The Empire Strikes Back, which back in 1981 a vocal segment of fans thought deserved a nomination for Best Picture. The Best Picture category encompasses pretty much all the major categories, including writing, acting and cinematography--and its safe to safe there were much better crafted films that year. The Oscars are really about the "art" and artistry of making films and in communicating ideas through film. Many superhero films have very simple themes and storylines, so they are not considered to be pushing very sophisticated ideas, or breaking new cinematic ground.

This is why, when it comes to films that people genuinely like, the Oscars are a really poor yardstick to measure by, because their criteria doesn't involve popularity at all. Its why I've maintained for years now that the Oscars are really just a self-administered pat-on-the-back for Hollywood and the public puts a LOT of needless stock into who wins and who does not.

Heath Ledger got his nomination, but it's only because he died. He deserved one either way, but I fully believe if he were still alive, they would have snubbed him. As Arrow said, they look down on the superhero genre, even if it's a film like The Dark Knight that has everything a film like Milk or The Wrestler has.

By nominating him posthumously, they're not giving credit to the genre or that type of film/role but rather to one of their own.

Its why I've maintained for years now that the Oscars are really just a self-administered pat-on-the-back for Hollywood and the public puts a LOT of needless stock into who wins and who does not.

I agree with this.

It's not really about rewarding the best films, filmmakers, and actors. It's an elitist thing, which is Hollywood in general.

And I don't think it hurts if you make your political stance known and that stance happens to go along with a traditional Hollywood one.

You know, if you didn't come off as all knowing and condenscending then perhaps more people would listen to the vast wealth of "knowledge" that you seem to possess. But the fact is you come into a thread and treat others as we're a bunch of know nothings. You are the all mighty Arrow that knows all, and must let us know about it, yet you procede to tell us in a way that tries to belittle us as much as possible!! If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's the way I see it in many posts of yours!!

Anyhow, whatever the criteria is, I hope he wins!

You know, if you didn't come off as all knowing and condenscending then perhaps more people would listen to the vast wealth of "knowledge" that you seem to possess. But the fact is you come into a thread and treat others as we're a bunch of know nothings. You are the all mighty Arrow that knows all, and must let us know about it, yet you procede to tell us in a way that tries to belittle us as much as possible!! If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's the way I see it in many posts of yours!!

Anyhow, whatever the criteria is, I hope he wins!

Well, hey, if you knew, or took the time to learn you would have the same knowledge to share, wouldn't you?

Know of what I have written about in this thread or many others is all that hard to find out--surprise, surprise.

We are discussing some niche topics in a niche forum of which I DO happen to have a lot of knowledge of ( and can easily find out about)--so if you want to stump me, just discuss things I know nothing about.........and I'll leave to your own considerable skills to figure what those things are.

As for condescension--its all in your head. Context is very hard to define in written text isn't it....and you are ASSUMING I'm taking a condescending tone. You chose to call me out, so I'll respond in kind.

But let's make things clear......if you want to think of me as if I'm a "know-it-all", its YOU who are applying the label--and I'll gladly treat you as a dullard. Show me otherwise and I'll gladly treat you with the respect you think you are due.

Outside of that, I do not give a flying flip about what you think of my posts--you can "ignore user" if they irk you so much.

PS. Lady Jaye-I do not have a problem with you or a bias against you that I carry with me from thread to thread--something that you clearly have against myself.

You can rise above that kind of pettiness and post accordingly. You'll probably find you'll even get some respect from me in the process.

Heath Ledger got his nomination, but it's only because he died. He deserved one either way, but I fully believe if he were still alive, they would have snubbed him. As Arrow said, they look down on the superhero genre, even if it's a film like The Dark Knight that has everything a film like Milk or The Wrestler has.

By nominating him posthumously, they're not giving credit to the genre or that type of film/role but rather to one of their own.

Nah, I think the merits of his performance, him being alive or dead notwithstanding, gained him the nomination. In terms of the craft of acting, his performance was a total submergence into the role, which really does stand along side the roles in The Wrestler or Milk.

The Oscars tend not to be all that sentimental when it comes down to awarding nominations ( posthumous or otherwise), and they really seem to focus on the genuine merits of the categories. Just a quick look over some of the membership says these folks really are the artisans of the craft of movie-making--and I think its safe to say they all know their stuff.

Its why I've maintained for years now that the Oscars are really just a self-administered pat-on-the-back for Hollywood and the public puts a LOT of needless stock into who wins and who does not.

I agree with this.

It's not really about rewarding the best films, filmmakers, and actors. It's an elitist thing, which is Hollywood in general.

And I don't think it hurts if you make your political stance known and that stance happens to go along with a traditional Hollywood one.

I have to agree. Ledger if alive today would not have been nominated nor I think would the movie done as good as it did. The Movie was great and his performance perfect, but there was a lot of Ledger fans and those who out of some morbid curiosity went to see the Dark Knight because it was his last "big" performance and not because they liked Batman.

At least that was the case at the movie theater I went to at 2AM. Since we were there since 10PM and bored in line I got little frustrated and told my Wife "that I bet you a lot of people here don't really know or care much about Batman, there here just cuz Ledger is in it" So I started to ask around the people there and my assumptions were right. My survey included my Wife's two friends who did not see the first movie and thought that the Joker later becomes the Riddler @loll@ , but that's ok I had the car ride home to explain the movie and other things to them. @loll@

I watched TDK in Imax when it was first showing. It's a good movie but I'm not planning to watch it again and I don't get why WB is re-releasing the movie again.

can some one post a link to where the nomination line up is. I kinda wanna see who the competeing against my husband.

Here ya go boyo, 81st Oscar Nominees!!, enjoy!!

I really do like Wikipedia!! Whoever did the page, did a great job!!

Looks like someone changed the info on the site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/81st_Academy_...upporting_Actor

Wiki not the best place for creditable info @smilepunch@