Would you be happier with, or without DCUC?

pooda

I find this to be a silly question, but I think you are serious in asking.

Of course, I am happier that this line exists. For years, I would walk down toy aisles and look at the Marvel product out there and think, "Man, if only I collected Marvel! I'd be so happy!" or "Wow, if I cared at all about GI Joe, I'd want that figure!" or "Gee, Ben 10 fans must be so excited to see that!"

I have found all of the DCUC in stores with the exception of the the current wave 6. Most of these figures I've found at regular retail stores, though some I've had to buy at specialty stores. I'm okay with this, quite frankly. Yes, distribution has had a slow start, but I've seen almost every character on shelves (Artemis and the variant Aquaman were the two that I didn't see at Targets, but everyone else I have seen).

I love my DC Direct collection for the sheer number and variety of characters, but I have to admit that the DCUC figures are slowly replacing them on my shelves. I love that (for the most part) these two lines can co-exist and compliment each other.

With DC Direct, DCUC, JLU, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Infinite Heroes and Movie Masters out there, not to mention the DC Barbies and the Tonner DC Stars lines, this is an AMAZING time to be a DC collector. I maybe be broke, but I am happy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this to be a silly question, but I think you are serious in asking.

Of course, I am happier that this line exists. For years, I would walk down toy aisles and look at the Marvel product out there and think, "Man, if only I collected Marvel! I'd be so happy!" or "Wow, if I cared at all about GI Joe, I'd want that figure!" or "Gee, Ben 10 fans must be so excited to see that!"

I have found all of the DCUC in stores with the exception of the the current wave 6. Most of these figures I've found at regular retail stores, though some I've had to buy at specialty stores. I'm okay with this, quite frankly. Yes, distribution has had a slow start, but I've seen almost every character on shelves (Artemis and the variant Aquaman were the two that I didn't see at Targets, but everyone else I have seen).

I love my DC Direct collection for the sheer number and variety of characters, but I have to admit that the DCUC figures are slowly replacing them on my shelves. I love that (for the most part) these two lines can co-exist and compliment each other.

With DC Direct, DCUC, JLU, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Infinite Heroes and Movie Masters out there, not to mention the DC Barbies and the Tonner DC Stars lines, this is an AMAZING time to be a DC collector. I maybe be broke, but I am happy.

whats silly about it? if they took dcuc away, how would you feel? or are you forever willing to except the line in its current state? all i hear is complaints everyday about this line. "i cant find them", "my leg popped off", "my paint's sloppy", ect..... so, silly...no. plus you bothered to reply. ;)

Pooda you question has a flaw in it. You state that "what you see is what you get". Well for many people that open there toys this does not hold true! How is a person supose to SEE that the DCUC fig they are about to buy is going to loose both its legs or another is about to snap apart at the mid section???

I people knew ahead of time that their fig in perticular was going to break (i.e. a label on the product stating imperfect or illregular like Value City did for its clothing), then yes, you would have a good point. But there are people out there going to great leanths just to get there hands on what ever they can find at affordable prices, only to have their hearts broken............by a broken figure no less.

BUT! seeing as how I am MOC my offical answer to your "flawed" question is NO. I would not be happier with out them..................thank God I'll never know which of them are complete sh*t.

what you see, is what you get means that you have to except the figs/line/company, with all of the flaws. you cant say "if mattel fixes distribution" or "if the QC was better". you either are thankful for the current mattel/dcuc, or youre not. as far as limbs just falling off...i have a hard time believing that. im willing to bet that most broken limbs come from forcing soming to move. ive broken limbs, but none have ever just fallen off....the freezer trick works for me.

JESUS H. CHRIST POODA!!! Are you realy that brain washed?!? "thankful for the current mattel/dcuc"..........HELL NO!! Man be straight with me, are you on Mattel's pay role or something. is it your secreat mission to manipulat public opinion? Dude I can say with out hesitation that if I were a loose collector I would have kicked the Mattel dust off my heels along time ago and never looked back.

I do admit that I find it strange as hell that so many loose collectors continue to buy something that only gonna break their hearts...........but that love for you, S&M toy style LOL @loll@

Pooda you question has a flaw in it. You state that "what you see is what you get". Well for many people that open there toys this does not hold true! How is a person supose to SEE that the DCUC fig they are about to buy is going to loose both its legs or another is about to snap apart at the mid section???

I people knew ahead of time that their fig in perticular was going to break (i.e. a label on the product stating imperfect or illregular like Value City did for its clothing), then yes, you would have a good point. But there are people out there going to great leanths just to get there hands on what ever they can find at affordable prices, only to have their hearts broken............by a broken figure no less.

BUT! seeing as how I am MOC my offical answer to your "flawed" question is NO. I would not be happier with out them..................thank God I'll never know which of them are complete sh*t.

what you see, is what you get means that you have to except the figs/line/company, with all of the flaws. you cant say "if mattel fixes distribution" or "if the QC was better". you either are thankful for the current mattel/dcuc, or youre not. as far as limbs just falling off...i have a hard time believing that. im willing to bet that most broken limbs come from forcing soming to move. ive broken limbs, but none have ever just fallen off....the freezer trick works for me.

JESUS H. CHRIST POODA!!! Are you realy that brain washed?!? "thankful for the current mattel/dcuc"..........HELL NO!! Man be straight with me, are you on Mattel's pay role or something. is it your secreat mission to manipulat public opinion? Dude I can say with out hesitation that if I were a loose collector I would have kicked the Mattel dust off my heels along time ago and never looked back.

I do admit that I find it strange as hell that so many loose collectors continue to buy something that only gonna break their hearts...........but that love for you, S&M toy style LOL @loll@

listen, i have encountered stuck joints..... lord knows, many of times. all im saying is that if you dont manhandle the fig, then you shouldnt have a problem.

listen, i have encountered stuck joints..... lord knows, many of times. all im saying is that if you dont manhandle the fig, then you shouldnt have a problem.

& all i'm saying is, its become the norm to: boil it, freez it, smack it up, flip it, rub it down OH NOOOOO! LOL. Its like your asking us collectors to give in to a new standerd of QC. and to that i tell mattel GET BENT!! I hve no intention of ever accecpting this crap as the norm. Hmmmm, HAY WAIT JUST ONE FILPPIN MINUET! You know how lots of forum members both here and on oter sites are all ways going on and on about how all there compaanies like Mattel, Hasbro, Toybiz and all the rest are geared for childred and NOT FOR ADULT COLLECTORS and thats why toy selection gets "dumbed down" so much.

Well, if all thats true then why in the world would Mattel make such flimsy toys???????? I mean think about this for a min. If adult collectos are having such bad problems, I can only imagin all thoespoor kiddies out there holding broke DCUC figs in there hands wondering "what did I do wrong" *single tear slids down face*.

BUT it is my thinking that DCUC is not aimed at children, at least not the way so many fan boys claim to defend their beloved toy company. I think the whole "toys are ment for kids not adults" exscuse is a load of hog wash!! Mattel, Hasbro and all the rest know EXACTLY the truth. and that truth is ADULTS make up the buying market! Not fickel wishy washy kids, most of whom have poor taste in toys.

But that to be expected. after all this is the video game era. what the hell does todays child know about toys that will endure the passing of time and become timeless classics?!? These children today know more about "operating systems" and Gigabyts mor so than cool toys that hold attention and provide endless hours of play and make believe. Mattel knows this. thats why they know is we adult collectos that are buying this stuff at a fevered pitch. Todays kids dont give two sh*ts wheather or not they find wave WHAT EVER hanging on the pegs. There to busy standing at the video game counter pre-ordering the next hot video game.

But go on, buy in to pooda's new concept of "safe toy handeling proceedures". Like I said i'm MOC, so as long as I can find them i'm good. But as far as the rest of you go...........................the sooner you give in to the brain washing, the less you'll be disapointed when half of you collection breaks. You'll simply shrugg your sholders and say...."oh well, thats how it goes sometimes".

& all i'm saying is, its become the norm to: boil it, freez it, smack it up, flip it, rub it down OH NOOOOO! LOL. Its like your asking us collectors to give in to a new standerd of QC. and to that i tell mattel GET BENT!! I hve no intention of ever accecpting this crap as the norm. Hmmmm, HAY WAIT JUST ONE FILPPIN MINUET! You know how lots of forum members both here and on oter sites are all ways going on and on about how all there compaanies like Mattel, Hasbro, Toybiz and all the rest are geared for childred and NOT FOR ADULT COLLECTORS and thats why toy selection gets "dumbed down" so much.

Well, if all thats true then why in the world would Mattel make such flimsy toys???????? I mean think about this for a min. If adult collectos are having such bad problems, I can only imagin all thoespoor kiddies out there holding broke DCUC figs in there hands wondering "what did I do wrong" *single tear slids down face*.

BUT it is my thinking that DCUC is not aimed at children, at least not the way so many fan boys claim to defend their beloved toy company. I think the whole "toys are ment for kids not adults" exscuse is a load of hog wash!! Mattel, Hasbro and all the rest know EXACTLY the truth. and that truth is ADULTS make up the buying market! Not fickel wishy washy kids, most of whom have poor taste in toys.

But that to be expected. after all this is the video game era. what the hell does todays child know about toys that will endure the passing of time and become timeless classics?!? These children today know more about "operating systems" and Gigabyts mor so than cool toys that hold attention and provide endless hours of play and make believe. Mattel knows this. thats why they know is we adult collectos that are buying this stuff at a fevered pitch. Todays kids dont give two sh*ts wheather or not they find wave WHAT EVER hanging on the pegs. There to busy standing at the video game counter pre-ordering the next hot video game.

But go on, buy in to pooda's new concept of "safe toy handeling proceedures". Like I said i'm MOC, so as long as I can find them i'm good. But as far as the rest of you go...........................the sooner you give in to the brain washing, the less you'll be disapointed when half of you collection breaks. You'll simply shrugg your sholders and say...."oh well, thats how it goes sometimes".

wait a minute, teddy riley....im not asking anybody to do anything. i was just asking if you would keep with this line if nothing changed, or would you just go back to collecting DCD or other DC figs. i personally am thankful that DCUC exist, but thats just me. im not making excuses for the fact that you have to put your figs in a freezer, because you shouldnt, but c'mon. were adults....period. if you know that these figs are having QC problems, and youre spending your hard earned cash, then why not take the precautions?

wait a minute, teddy riley....im not asking anybody to do anything. i was just asking if you would keep with this line if nothing changed, or would you just go back to collecting DCD or other DC figs. i personally am thankful that DCUC exist, but thats just me. im not making excuses for the fact that you have to put your figs in a freezer, because you shouldnt, but c'mon. were adults....period. if you know that these figs are having QC problems, and youre spending your hard earned cash, then why not take the precautions?

"but c'mon. were adults....period." See that what i'm talkin about. what if your not an adult? what about the innocent kids out there that so many claim buy all these toys in record numbers and make the adult collector out to be chump change to companies like Mattel. Why is'nt Mattel making there toy strurdy enough for every day child play ware and tear????

"but c'mon. were adults....period." See that what i'm talkin about. what if your not an adult? what about the innocent kids out there that so many claim buy all these toys in record numbers and make the adult collector out to be chump change to companies like Mattel. Why is'nt Mattel making there toy strurdy enough for every day child play ware and tear????

theyre not aimed at small kids. 12 or 13 maybe, but not the smaller kids.

The packaging says "4+"

It does NOT say "For the adult collector."

They are displayed and sold on the toy aisle next to all the other gobbledygook aimed at children.

Kids are getting these, (or would be if the distribution were better - more on that later)

I'm with SQ - if/when kids get these, they do not know the freezer trick, boil and pop, "handle with care" methods. They're simply going to have a broken toy within a week. Period.

I am seriously, SERIOUSLY surprised that the potential choking hazard that this poor QC causes has not brought about a greater commotion. Whether or not a kid does choke on a DCUC piece, the mere potential for such a scenario, especially in the wake of the recent lead paint debacle (which is also, arguably, more of a "potential" concern than a "real" one...I mean, who licks their toys? Not me ;) ) is so great that Mattel should have instituted a recall months ago, and not sat on their hands and asked for "pictures" and stated that a better batch of toys can take 9 months to a year to hit the shelves (like they are doing/saying on other forums.)

All that said, I personally would be happier without DCUC in it's current state of being. I would much rather talk on a forum about finding a fun toy, said toy operating in the manner it was designed, and the potential for more well made toys in the future than

a) not find the product to begin with

b.) when I do, find shoddy product

c) fear the potential that the line could die an early death due to poor business practices

d) read about and complain myself daily about low quality product and poor business practices of manufacturer

Finally, I think the poor distribution is the sole reason this line is still alive, (and may very well be intentional,) because if these were hitting kid's toyboxes en masse there WOULD be an outcry from parent/safety/watchdog groups. As it stands DCUC are being bought primarily (but not solely) by collectors and we merely complain about bad paint apps and the inability to pose them properly due to stuck joints, not that our kid choked to death on a leg that popped right off.

There are government and industry standards that allow a toy to mark "4+" on it's packaging, and I do not think DCUC lives up to that standard. If it does, those standards need to be changed. There should be more of a concern on that end of things. This really is, or has the potential to be, a bigger issue than our meager concerns. The rest of us adults will deal with it like we always do...by complaining on toy forums. :P

The packaging says "4+"

It does NOT say "For the adult collector."

They are displayed and sold on the toy aisle next to all the other gobbledygook aimed at children.

Kids are getting these, (or would be if the distribution were better - more on that later)

I'm with SQ - if/when kids get these, they do not know the freezer trick, boil and pop, "handle with care" methods. They're simply going to have a broken toy within a week. Period.

I am seriously, SERIOUSLY surprised that the potential choking hazard that this poor QC causes has not brought about a greater commotion. Whether or not a kid does choke on a DCUC piece, the mere potential for such a scenario, especially in the wake of the recent lead paint debacle (which is also, arguably, more of a "potential" concern than a "real" one...I mean, who licks their toys? Not me ;) ) is so great that Mattel should have instituted a recall months ago, and not sat on their hands and asked for "pictures" and stated that a better batch of toys can take 9 months to a year to hit the shelves (like they are doing/saying on other forums.)

All that said, I personally would be happier without DCUC in it's current state of being. I would much rather talk on a forum about finding a fun toy, said toy operating in the manner it was designed, and the potential for more well made toys in the future than

a) not find the product to begin with

b.) when I do, find shoddy product

c) fear the potential that the line could die an early death due to poor business practices

d) read about and complain myself daily about low quality product and poor business practices of manufacturer

Finally, I think the poor distribution is the sole reason this line is still alive, (and may very well be intentional,) because if these were hitting kid's toyboxes en masse there WOULD be an outcry from parent/safety/watchdog groups. As it stands DCUC are being bought primarily (but not solely) by collectors and we merely complain about bad paint apps and the inability to pose them properly due to stuck joints, not that our kid choked to death on a leg that popped right off.

There are government and industry standards that allow a toy to mark "4+" on it's packaging, and I do not think DCUC lives up to that standard. If it does, those standards need to be changed. There should be more of a concern on that end of things. This really is, or has the potential to be, a bigger issue than our meager concerns. The rest of us adults will deal with it like we always do...by complaining on toy forums. :P

name one mass market toy that doesnt say that. you guys say what you want, but no kids are running to buy killer moth, red tornado, the demon, shazam, sinestro, mr.miracle, dr.impossible, lightray, orion, hawkman, amazo, black lightning, atom, cap. atom, ares, cyborg, black manta, aquaman, harley, or firestorm....and thats the majority of every wave. maybe they want the kiddies money, but the way theyre released, and the character choices say otherwise. plus, they release adult themed characters(starfire/lobo) in a line that you guys say is for children.

name one mass market toy that doesnt say that. you guys say what you want, but no kids are running to buy killer moth, red tornado, the demon, shazam, sinestro, mr.miracle, dr.impossible, lightray, orion, hawkman, amazo, black lightning, atom, cap. atom, ares, cyborg, black manta, aquaman, harley, or firestorm....and thats the majority of every wave. maybe they want the kiddies money, but the way theyre released, and the character choices say otherwise. plus, they release adult themed characters(starfire/lobo) in a line that you guys say is for children.

Sorry, Pooda, but you can't include Lobo or Starfire in this part of the argument. Neither of those were/are being sold alongside other kid-related toy products. Lobo was only sold at the San Diego Comic Con and was intended only for collectors. Starfire is only being sold online. The argument that the majority of this line is being sold alongside kid-friendly, kid-related merchandise still stands.

But you are right that the character selection is not necessarily kid-friendly. However, I know several kids (my nephews ages 4 & 7, and my elementary school aged students) who would be intrigued by these characters and their looks even if they don't know exactly who Killer Moth or Dr. Impossible are. They would know Harley (from the Batman Lego game and the Batman cartoons), Cyborg (from Teen Titans cartoons), Aquaman (everyone knows Aquaman, even if he hasn't been himself lately), and Red Tornado, the Demon, Captain Atom and Hawkman were all featured on the JLU cartoon.

Here's a little example to partly prove my point. I was teaching a class of 3 year olds this past week and they were supposed to name things they'd seen on the way to school. In addition to the regular, real-life items (trees, buses, mommies) there is always a super-hero sighting or two. Usually someone "saw" Batman and Robin or Spider-man. However last week one 3 year old said he'd seen Firestorm on the way to school. Now THAT one shocked me, since Firestorm was never featured on JLU. But he was on the Super Friends which is readily available on DVD. So, you see, I feel that you are underestimating who, potentially, could be buying these toys.

Sorry pooda but Ace read you on the one. You can speculate all day long as to wheather or not DCUC is meant for children or not. But at the end of the day its still a toy and should be held to the same guidlines that ALL TOYS that have its age rateing be held too.

you guys say what you will, but i bet mattel wasnt thinking about one child when they came up with theyre marketing plan. as far as lobo/starfie goes, why are they being included in a childs line? so the only "collectors figs are them? and if children are the focus of this line, then why even produce figures that you have to be an adult to buy?

Sorry pooda but Ace read you on the one. You can speculate all day long as to wheather or not DCUC is meant for children or not. But at the end of the day its still a toy and should be held to the same guidlines that ALL TOYS that have its age rateing be held too.

you guys say what you will, but i bet mattel wasnt thinking about one child when they came up with theyre marketing plan. as far as lobo/starfie goes, why are they being included in a childs line? so the only "collectors figs are them? and if children are the focus of this line, then why even produce figures that you have to be an adult to buy?

"then why even produce figures that you have to be an adult to buy"!!! @loll@ @loll@ Oh yeah baby you realy stepped in it this time hehehe. Ok! by show of hands! how many of you parents out there have four year olds that pay for ANY OF THERE TOYS..................................................(crickets chrip)

ok, then my point holds. kids pay for nothing! they begg their mommies and daddies like theres no tomorrow to please buy them what ever toy looks coolest to them at that perticular moment. Joe I dont need to lecture you on this, your a parent. And i'm sure you've had your fair share of temper tantrums when lil pooda did'nt get his way.

DCUC can just as easly be bought by a child as it could by an adult. mattel has no excuses!

"then why even produce figures that you have to be an adult to buy"!!! @loll@ @loll@ Oh yeah baby you realy stepped in it this time hehehe. Ok! by show of hands! how many of you parents out there have four year olds that pay for ANY OF THERE TOYS..................................................(crickets chrip)

ok, then my point holds. kids pay for nothing! they begg their mommies and daddies like theres no tomorrow to please buy them what ever toy looks coolest to them at that perticular moment. Joe I dont need to lecture you on this, your a parent. And i'm sure you've had your fair share of temper tantrums when lil pooda did'nt get his way.

DCUC can just as easly be bought by a child as it could by an adult. mattel has no excuses!

true, but thats not why they have a 18+ sticker on it. if we go with the logic youre using, the my 5 year old son should be able to get a jenna jameson fig, right? or better yet, why even put "must be 18 to purchase" on the fig? like you said.....kids cant buy this stuff themselves. kids arent ordering online products, their parents are. is that why they have 18+?, to discurage kids with credit cards from using them?(give me a break!)

you guys need to broaden your thinking on where they are aimed. im inclined to agree on both sides annd here why.

1) the package says for children 4+ why because they are toys and to be sold in a toy store where kids have the potential to buy them they have to state the recomended age, for so many legal reasons im sure everyone can figure since we are adults.

2) to help in sales to keep the line goig you have to have kid support thats why the heavy hitters in all the waves to help keep their interest after all most kids do not know characters like killer moth, dr impossible, big barda etc. they are aimed at collectors which brings me to my third point.

3) the line is aimed at collectors because when a company goes out of its way to include chase figures that only collectors know about or ever the exclusives that a particular age can only buy then the line must be geared towards collectors.

......but make no mistake Mattel needs the support of both kid and collectors

I'd be happy if I could FIND them in Northern IL. All I'm seeing is Cyborgs, Wonder Women, and an occasional Ares. Wally Exclusives???? Yeah, exclusively NO WHERE TO BE FOUND AROUND HERE!!!!!

I'd take a Riddler with two left arms at this point. I haven't seen ANY!!!

Wally did there resets all around here and they have the little ones all out, right next the empty pegs where DCUC SHOULD be.

What the hell??!?!?!?!?!?

I'd be happy if I could FIND them in Northern IL. All I'm seeing is Cyborgs, Wonder Women, and an occasional Ares. Wally Exclusives???? Yeah, exclusively NO WHERE TO BE FOUND AROUND HERE!!!!!

I'd take a Riddler with two left arms at this point. I haven't seen ANY!!!

Wally did there resets all around here and they have the little ones all out, right next the empty pegs where DCUC SHOULD be.

What the hell??!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry you haven't found anything. I finally found Firestorm at retail and no Wave 6, granted I have been fortunate to find Wave 5 but only 1 of wave 6. I don't understand how some areas get flooded while others get ignored. Also why is the Walmarts and Targets flooded with GI JOE and TRANSFORMERS that stay on the shelves longer than DCUC?

You know now that I think about it, this line doesnt have a toon to suport it which is traditionaly how kids merch is put on the market. So maby you are right pooda, maby this line is aimed at collectors. BUT even still, these are not being sold in the same medium as DCD. These are being sold in retail where kids have full access to them. which makes them fair game for taking pot shots at for poor QC!!!!!!

This is the equivalant of finding porn for sale in the childrens' book section and claiming ITS MENT FOR ADULTS, JUST TELL THE KIDS TO IGNOR IT. If its being sold in the kids section then just make the damn toys sturdy!

You know now that I think about it, this line doesnt have a toon to suport it which is traditionaly how kids merch is put on the market. So maby you are right pooda, maby this line is aimed at collectors. BUT even still, these are not being sold in the same medium as DCD. These are being sold in retail where kids have full access to them. which makes them fair game for taking pot shots at for poor QC!!!!!!

This is the equivalant of finding porn for sale in the childrens' book section and claiming ITS MENT FOR ADULTS, JUST TELL THE KIDS TO IGNOR IT. If its being sold in the kids section then just make the damn toys sturdy!

hey, comic shops have comics that are "mature" with everything else. video games for adults are with the kids games. you have to understand that we choose to venture off into buying toys as adults. when dcsh started, i believe that they had children in mind, up until the point that seen no children were buying these, but adults were begging mattel to make other characters outside supes/bats. we called out on this line....just us.

You win Pooda. Children do not have anything to do with, or want anything to do with these or any toy for that matter.

You say you saw a kid with a DCSH or DCUC in their hand? I call BS! You might as well have a picture of a UFO or try to tell me you had lunch with Bigfoot.

Silly TNI, toy's aren't for kids!

On a side note, I hear Mattel is changing it's name to Matture.

:P

You win Pooda. Children do not have anything to do with, or want anything to do with these or any toy for that matter.

You say you saw a kid with a DCSH or DCUC in their hand? I call BS! You might as well have a picture of a UFO or try to tell me you had lunch with Bigfoot.

exactly.

Silly TNI, toy's aren't for kids!

On a side note, I hear Mattel is changing it's name to Matture.

:P

"NAME TO MATTURE"!!! LMAO LMAO @loll@ @loll@ Thats a good one Ace! But on the real, I realy just want Mattel to just make the damn toys right. Not cure AIDS just make the toys right.