Origion of the Borg

Wheeljack35

That's a pretty cool concept. The biggest question I have is after V-ger "evolved", whatever happened to it/them?

There's a line after Kirk, Spock and McCoy return to the Bridge that mentions that Decker/Illia have transformed into a higher level of being, something that has crossed over into another dimension of existence or a higher level of existence within our own dimension. In essence, the pairing of the two with V'ger have transcended into something perhaps on the order of a beings like Trelayne, or the Q--but hopefully without the mischievous personality. The expectation that the two being of good Starfleet stock have given the nascent newborn being a greater sense of purpose than V'ger could manifest in its own.

This is also why the two are listed as "missing" and not as casualties.

That's a pretty cool concept. The biggest question I have is after V-ger "evolved", whatever happened to it/them?

There's a line after Kirk, Spock and McCoy return to the Bridge that mentions that Decker/Illia have transformed into a higher level of being, something that has crossed over into another dimension of existence or a higher level of existence within our own dimension. In essence, the pairing of the two with V'ger have transcended into something perhaps on the order of a beings like Trelayne, or the Q--but hopefully without the mischievous personality. The expectation that the two being of good Starfleet stock have given the nascent newborn being a greater sense of purpose than V'ger could manifest in its own.

This is also why the two are listed as "missing" and not as casualties.

Oh ya, I know exactly what your are talking about Ken. If this new Trek cast can bring things up to par, we/they could do a perfect movie based on the V-ger story. There is a lot of super-cool untapped story telling there. B)

Oh ya, I know exactly what your are talking about Ken. If this new Trek cast can bring things up to par, we/they could do a perfect movie based on the V-ger story. There is a lot of super-cool untapped story telling there. cool.gif

Nah, there's really no point to revisiting that story again. The point of the transcendence as to convey the mystery of existence and the need to strive to reach into those mysteries. Keeping the resolution vague in that case serves the story better. Its like going into the Mothership at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind--you don't need to do that to make the story work, and its inclusion in a later cut of the film was done just for the sake of the gimmick.

The new Trek, IMO, would be better served telling other stories and not revisiting stuff that's been done before.

Oh ya, I know exactly what your are talking about Ken. If this new Trek cast can bring things up to par, we/they could do a perfect movie based on the V-ger story. There is a lot of super-cool untapped story telling there. cool.gif

Nah, there's really no point to revisiting that story again. The point of the transcendence as to convey the mystery of existence and the need to strive to reach into those mysteries. Keeping the resolution vague in that case serves the story better. Its like going into the Mothership at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind--you don't need to do that to make the story work, and its inclusion in a later cut of the film was done just for the sake of the gimmick.

The new Trek, IMO, would be better served telling other stories and not revisiting stuff that's been done before.

Ok, you got me there. It's just in my fanboy mind, a really cool movie could be made of the V-ger story, but we both know better. ;)

Roddenberry was on record musing that the machine planet that V-ger ended up on was the Borg Homeworld. But it was an idea that was never pursued beyond a muse.

in the first book shatner did for star trek "the return" he used that theory in the story

I, long ago (before Shatner's book), hypothesized that the amalgam of V'Ger/probe-drone Ilia/Decker was the origin of the Borg, and they became the first Borg Queen, or Motherborg (play on words with Motherboard).

She's got the bald head, he had the organic flesh, and V'Ger had the data.

When they disappeared, they could have gone anywhere in time/space. Say, into the past somewhere in the Delta Quadrant, where maybe the unknown living machine aliens repaired/altered the old Earth space probe lived. V'Ger could have taken what it had learned back to them, maybe near their creation, and led them in a different evolutionary direction.

The Borgs directives of assimilating biological and technological resources could have been an evolved form of the Voyager 6 Space Probes programming to record what it encountered. Plus, after V'Ger had met its maker, the next step would be to achieve perfection to the point that it surpasses the quality of life of its creators. Which, of course, if the Borgs primary directive. To make themselves perfect.

381 VARIOUS EFFECTS SHOTS - DECKER BEING FUSED - V'GER 381

TRANSCENDING (S)

For just an instant nothing happens -- and then a

BLINDING SHAFT OF LIGHT STRIKES Decker. The color

becomes BRIGHTER AND BRIGHTER, begins spiraling through

the room. "Ilia" stes toward Decker, is caught in the

LIGHT, and instantly VANISHES in a BRILLIANT WHITE GLOW.

We SEE Decker seeming to grow larger -- as if his

molecular pattern is expanding. A SPECTACULAR SERIES

OF VISUALS., THE SPIRALING LIGHT enveloping the entire

area.

All this emanating from Decker's body, becoming LARGER

-- also BRIGHTER AND BRIGHTER until now it is almost

transparent. And the SPIRALING now expanding in all

directions, and the room itself starting to dissolve,

vanishing into nothingness -- and all commencing to

slip into the new dimension.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy stand transfixed another instant.

Around them, V'ger seems to be TRANSFORMING INTO

BRILLIANT, LOVELY PATTERNS. They all turn and race into

the complex in the direction of their vessel.

382 EXT. EARTH ORBIT - AN ENERGY BOLT(S) 382

It too seems to be flowering into loveliness, brilliant,

graceful patterns as they seem to slip through to another

dimension, vanishing.

383 EXT. V'GER - FULL SHOT 383

The "FLOWERING" EFFECT now spreading outward, V'ger's

massive shape becoming a spiraling pattern of twisting,

graceful shapes and brilliant colors -- a transcendence

into another dimension.

And then all of that is left is a shimmering, jewel-like

point of light -- and then it too fades -- and reveals

there in the blue-black of space, the U.S.S. Enterprise.

"Spock, did we just see the beginning of a new life form?"

"Yes, captain. We witnessed a birth. Possibly a next step in our evolution."

"Well, it's been a long time since I delivered a baby and I hope we got this one off to a good start."

"I hope so too. I think we gave it the ability to create its own sense of purpose out of our own Human weaknesses, and the drive that compels us to overcome them."

"And a lot of "foolish, Human emotions," right Mr. Spock?"

"Quite true, Doctor. Unfortunately it will have to deal with them as well."

The script for the movie says V'Ger disappeared into another dimension. When doing this, it could have gone anywhere in the space/time continuum, including, the past in the Delta Quadrant. It doesn't actually where/when they went, but it is a logical possibility.

So, to reiterate:

Humans create Voyager 6.

Unknown living machine aliens repair and alter Voyager 6 into V'Ger.

V'Ger combines with Drone Ilia and Decker.

New V'Ger/Ilia/Decker amalgam returns to unknown living machine aliens, to an essential developmental point in their past, and they take a new evolutionary path combining their technology with biological entities, like V'Ger/Ilia/Decker amalgam did, thus becoming the Borg.

I can buy the fact that the robots who fixed v'ger were the borg, but v'ger being the borg.... no. I like the idea that the borg are ancient, and they were around long before voyager 6 was built.

If the V'Ger/drone Ilia/Decker amalgam went far back in time to create them, then, they would be ancient.

True, but for that to work, in essence, they are limiting themselves. And that goes against the borgs prime directive. If the borg, or pre-borg had the power to travel through parallel universes, or time, to the magnitude we are lead to believe in Star Trek The Motion Picture, why would they need to assimilate the whole universe.

• 2 weeks later...