FIRST LOOK: Playmates 6" 2009 Star Trek Figures

JayC

6 inch?

As big as the DCUC figures?

Why the hell are they doing this

It would of been better if they were 3 3/4"

Ok take a deep breath. If you read the news you will see there will be a line of 3 3/4" figures along with 6" and 12".

6 inch?

As big as the DCUC figures?

Why the hell are they doing this

It would of been better if they were 3 3/4"

Ok take a deep breath. If you read the news you will see there will be a line of 3 3/4" figures along with 6" and 12".

:P Sorry I just skimmed through it

3 3/4 figure are what I want

I hope there doing ships in different sizes

I hate to be a naysayer, but that looks really poor next to what has been coming out of DST. I just bought the TRU Spock last night, and it's really well sculpted. This looks like Kirk is wearing his Dad's knit sweater. I really hope the 3 3/4 inch figures dial back the fabric detail.

I think that's our first look at the new phaser though...

My first thought was also 'I guess Abercrombie is supplying the Federation's uniforms' (pertaining to the sweater look).

These will be out of scale with most of DSTs figs - all except the original series, who were at the 6-inch scale. Seems DST changed the rules after them, or around them. So on the plus side, you would be able to display them together. I'll be interested to see what developes with the rest of the line, though. I thought they did a great job in the past, so I'm open to see what they've got planned.

I don't think the figure looks aweful but I'm not sure I can get into another toy line. Especially considering it's a different company, different scale, based on a whole different Trek time line, I don't see how they'll fit n with the figs I already have. I'm sticking with the DST figures until they finish up whatever they're going to finish up with DS9 and I think that may be it for me for ST toys. Of course, ya never know...

Looks like I will have to be saving some serious extra cash this year!

Playmates looks to be the new wallet crusher for me...

This line sounds awesome.

WOW. Playmates might be saving me some money too! The Terminator stuff was god awful. No wonder they don't answer your calls and hide their US-based phone number on their website! My friend is a dealer trying to get an appointment with them for the 2009 US Toy Fair and it's been a pain just trying to get someone from Playmates to pick up a phone or to reply to emails.

I don't think that this is the WORST figure ever made and in their defense it IS most likely a prototype shot, but the hair is neon, the likeness for a 6" figure is questionable and the way-too-deep relief textured sculpting on that shirt does look like a sweater and not a knit shirt. If Mattel's early offerings of Superman Returns figures could nail the lower detail texture on a 5" mass market line then there's no excuse for this. Im hoping at the very least that the holster is removable as it, too, is way too bulky in this shot. Hasbro does a better job at thinner details and better likenesses on their 3 3/4" Star Wars lines! **shakes head**. Just need to see the Role Playing props and the ships now to make a final decision as to whether or not to pass on this line. They've had prototypes out for a year or more now under wraps and they've had a movie production extension during which time they could have real-scanned the heads and costumes like most companies do these days. I'm hoping that things change between now and Toy Fair and the final release.

The likeness to Pine is good, the Phaser is at least interesting looking, but....the cosmic cardigan sweater ( his tunic) and throwback articulation just does nothing for me.

Nothing about this excites me, so I'll have to wait and see what else comes along.