More Cobra La figures?

Verdiboy

The closest we got was a confusing announcement that the fifth DVD pack was going to be based off the Movie, which was either miscommunicated by the news-sites, or quickly recanted and changed to the Best Of pack that we actually got.

If it was the latter, and I personally believe that to be the case, I think Hasbro had a moment of clarity where they realized maybe rehashing Cobra La was not in the brand's best interest, even thought it would be a let down to a small cult following.

Either that, or the customs we have seen at the various Cons were really feasbility experiments. Designers using pre-existing bodies to see how well they could approximate an older character with reused parts already in the 25th catalogue. Those that were either cost-ineffective or whatever were put on display, sort of a way for Hasbro to guage whether reaction warranted developing a figure with so many new tools involved.

Then again, I'm sort've a conspiracy guy with this.

I really hope not. I never liked Cobra La at all.. not even when I was like 7 years old watching that movie

(was it 1986?)

I think '87...could be wrong though. It did feature the new Joes from the '87 lineup.

Guess it could've been the end of '86 too...

The closest we got was a confusing announcement that the fifth DVD pack was going to be based off the Movie, which was either miscommunicated by the news-sites, or quickly recanted and changed to the Best Of pack that we actually got.

If it was the latter, and I personally believe that to be the case, I think Hasbro had a moment of clarity where they realized maybe rehashing Cobra La was not in the brand's best interest, even thought it would be a let down to a small cult following.

Well... all of the figures we DID get were obviously based on the movie.... on the intro that was included on the DVD. As you said, this could mean that they planned the figures based on that intro, and that the sites, seeing the obvious movie-theme, reported it as a movie set... or it could mean that the movie was intended, but scrapped, and the intro kept to justify the already in-progress figure design.

Honestly, I'm more prone to go with the 'always meant as a "Best Of" set' idea, just because it seems silly that with the massive range of characters and designs in the movie that they went almost entirely with a set themed on the intro (no Cobra-La? No Renegades? Not even any of the Rawhides?)... but it's perfectly rational to think they would have done so if they'd intended to do the set based on the intro all along.

As we can see by the Resolute set coming up, Hasbro is not adverse to doing more DVD sets. I think that there's a good chance of seeing an actual movie set later down the line, with more of an overall movie basis.

The movie came out in 1986.

I think the Nemesis Enforcer was a nod to the movie, which has generally been disliked by the fans, then anything else.

This makes me wonder if we will be getting a "fixed arm" Falcon.

Well, we kind of are. The Battle Damage BAT from the next assortment has appeared online "through overseas sources", and the cardback featured a new Falcon figure, Night Force Themed with what appeared to be gloves.

I for one, am not adversed at all to more Cobra La, and I think the DESIGNS and many of the concepts are quite workable into the GI Joe mythos. I think what hurt Cobra La more than anything was how it handled the origin of Cobra and Cobra Commander. Pythona and Nemesis Enforcer were both very neat characters, IMO, and hopefully, the movie will do well enough that Hasbro might gives us more from Cobra La.

I mean seriously, Transformers fans are getting freakin' GOBOT homages in the toy releases, nods to late year Micromasters, characters that I had as a kid and had forgotten about!

I'm sure Hasbro has a DVD pack in mind for after the new movie.

I sure didn't like Cobra-La either. I wouldn't mind them though as I've retconned them with my own background story.

Even more annoying to me is that some of the non-fans seem to think the Cobra battle cry goes "Cobralalalala" @grumpy@

The movie came out in 1986.

I think the Nemesis Enforcer was a nod to the movie, which has generally been disliked by the fans, then anything else.

This makes me wonder if we will be getting a "fixed arm" Falcon.

Well, we kind of are. The Battle Damage BAT from the next assortment has appeared online "through overseas sources", and the cardback featured a new Falcon figure, Night Force Themed with what appeared to be gloves.

I for one, am not adversed at all to more Cobra La, and I think the DESIGNS and many of the concepts are quite workable into the GI Joe mythos. I think what hurt Cobra La more than anything was how it handled the origin of Cobra and Cobra Commander. Pythona and Nemesis Enforcer were both very neat characters, IMO, and hopefully, the movie will do well enough that Hasbro might gives us more from Cobra La.

I mean seriously, Transformers fans are getting freakin' GOBOT homages in the toy releases, nods to late year Micromasters, characters that I had as a kid and had forgotten about!

That's the problem though. Duke didn't get "corrected" until the Tiger Force version. The same for Flint (he was corrected with the Tiger Force version). If it is true this rumored Falcon IS the Night Force version, then that's a crappy conundrum, because we aren't getting a fixed "normal" Falcon. Of course they said we wouldn't get a fixed normal Leatherneck either, which is stupid because all they have to do is put him in green. How hard is THAT?

I mean does anyone consider "screaming Duke" to be the definitive version?

As for Cobra-La, well Nemesis Enforcer was a little weak. Ironically, THIS version has the same flaw the original had. The wings and tentacles don't stay on very well.

This thread makes me think of a lot of potential they have, if they can do it right.

I'd go for some Cobra-La figs if they packaged them separately. On the other hand, I could see them preferring to release something like "Golobulus + Airtight" over a bunch of possibly pegwarming "Golobulus + Cobra-La Guard".

I think if they packed Cobra-La figs separately in low volumes for those of us that want 'em, they'd all clear though..

As a side addendum, am I the only one who thinks the DVD packs have been a pretty good value? At 4 figures, a whole miniseries of Sunbow eps, and a MASS Device component, I've been pretty pleased for $20..

To me, releasing them will be a lesser of 2 evils. Either they're gonna put out Nemesis Enforcer, Golobulus, Pythona and the royal Guards in a set, its either gonna be there until the store closes for the final time, or its gonna sell like hot cakes. And in todays market, I don't think Hasbro wanna take that risk

I could see a comic pack with Royal Guards thrown in and not mentioning Cobra La much. It's not like kids wouldn't buy them if they looked cool, besides Star Wars has tons of weird sci-fi creatures in the line ups that still sell well. Kids love monsters, aliens and robots, it's the collectors then tend to care about the sci fi elements (by the way, were is my Damn Sci-Fi figure Hasbro!).

I genuinely LIKE the idea of more COBRA-La figures. I see it as a way to redeem the earlier ones, like Golobulus. Pythona would be good in figure form (done right) just as much as a "nothing" character like Big Lob would be--which so many people seem to clamour for.

Besides, the characters could really go only as far as Golobulus, Pythona, Royal Guard, and a semi-transformed COBRA Commander. After those, there'd be no-one else really worth making.

I genuinely LIKE the idea of more COBRA-La figures. I see it as a way to redeem the earlier ones, like Golobulus. Pythona would be good in figure form (done right) just as much as a "nothing" character like Big Lob would be--which so many people seem to clamour for.

Besides, the characters could really go only as far as Golobulus, Pythona, Royal Guard, and a semi-transformed COBRA Commander. After those, there'd be no-one else really worth making.

Also completely agreed!

Why not just release a box set with Golobulus, Pythona, a few Cobra-La Guards, a changed Cobra Commander, Big Lob, a fixed-arm Falcon, and Jinx? People would buy it just for Pythona and Big Lob.

Why not just release a box set with Golobulus, Pythona, a few Cobra-La Guards, a changed Cobra Commander, Big Lob, a fixed-arm Falcon, and Jinx? People would buy it just for Pythona and Big Lob.

Because 7 figures would be an expensive set. DVD packs are $20 with 3-4 figures. Doubling that and including all of the most controversial characters in it is not a recipe for success.

Glue has the right idea:

I'd go for some Cobra-La figs if they packaged them separately. On the other hand, I could see them preferring to release something like "Golobulus + Airtight" over a bunch of possibly pegwarming "Golobulus + Cobra-La Guard".

Hasbro can make them, but they need to stagger them with things people want, like they did with Falcon/Nemesis. People who didn't want Nemmy got it for Falcon, and people who did want Nemmy generally got it for both, but very few people got it for Nemmy alone.

As for Cobra-La, well Nemesis Enforcer was a little weak. Ironically, THIS version has the same flaw the original had. The wings and tentacles don't stay on very well.

Really? I hadn't heard of that issue. I actually had to force the wings onto mine, and I never tried the tentacles on him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a series of two packs, call them something Face Off or Final Showdown two packs. Jinx and Pythona, fixed Falcon with Golobulus, Sgt. Slaughter with Nemisis Enforcer (or what ever they're calling him now). Then give me a punishment of Cobra Commander three pack with two Royal Guards to hold him and Semi-transformed Cobra Commander (snake like human with lots of eyes) and just for good measure throw in a nearly fully transformed version (more snake with a human like face) that I can wrap around my V2 Roadblock. That'd cover some great stuff from the movie for me, but doubt I'd ever see anything like that. :rolleyes:

uh... WHAT?

Big Lob was the dumbest thing to ever happen to GiJoe. I don't think anybody would buy him as a single carded figure, let alone buy a box set to get him.

Pythona was interesting in the movie, but again, she was part of Cobra La = crap.

The only figure you named that I want is a fixed arm Falcon... and maybe Jinx

I am still seeing the 'filler' wave everywhere. Everything kinda ground to a halt with that one. As if people already have these guys from the first time around (go figure!) The last bit o' freshness I saw was Mutt. Having said that, I'd really rather see more new Joes (and COBRAs) before anything else from that C-La travesty. But, for those who like them, a box set would be a great idea. Not something I woud get, but it would sure look to satisfy you guys!

Why not a troop builder set with Golobulus and a few Cobra-La soldiers?

Once again, because a set full of the most controversial characters in the entire property is not likely to go over well. From the sounds of things, you'd buy it, I'd buy it, maybe a certain percentage of fans... but the majority of them would be too busy screaming in anger to buy it.

It's just a plain old given that Hasbro would have to at least equal the amount of Cobra-La figures with figures that were strongly-desired.