Done with DCUC

cjflan32

Mattel's DCUC has horrible QC and sometimes it's very hard to spot. I finally have my first wrong bicep figure and that's DCUC5 Black Lighting. Wave5 has the worst QC to date. the fragile joints are impossible to spot unless u open them and play with them. I don't blame the seller since there's no way to tell.

I thought Mattel change factories because of quality but with the declined QC I'm wondering if it's something else entirely, more like money.

This just RECENTLY happened to me when I finally found the CYBORG SUPERMAN/MONGUL figure two-pack... i was so happy finally found the ULTIMATE figure after a year of looking for him, sure he was on EBAY but these yahoo's were selling him for $60-$100 dollars for him LOOSE and i don't mean the DC DIRECT version either. the pain hit me when i took him out of the package... Mongul left arm and right leg broke clean off just for taking him out of the TRAY and Cyborg Superman right arm broke off at the ball shoulder JOINT mongual i didn't care for because i got him months ago so i toss him away.

i solved the Problem though i boiled some hot water and placed the arm in so soften the plastic and removed the peg that broke and used a dremil to make a small hole in the shoulder ball joint and carefully put a small screw that resemble the peg and popped the arm into place... BOOM problem solved.

another solution would be to take each figure that you remove from the package and place them in hot water for a few seconds to loosen the glue and move the figure's joints that way... it always works with me

I've been a huge proponent of DC Universe Classics, that is until today when I got my set of DCUC Wave 6. Red and blue Superman's face apps were everywhere and my Killer Moth was missing wings (I bought these from a guy on Ebay who never mentioned it so there's a lesson learned there). Then I started moving parts around and Hawkman's leg fell off and Mr. Miracle's shoulder broke off. This has happened to me in several toy lines over the years but not three times in a row.

If it was the first time then I'd shrug it off but I got Wave 5 at Wal-Mart and Amazo's leg was hanging by a thread and then I bought the New Gods and GL two-packs and the joints were tough to move and the paint apps were everywhere. Strike three and Mattel's out. I also found it curious that Mattel doesn't offer an e-mail address for customer service on its products or its packages, just a phone number.

I know this isn't news to anyone, myself included, but lack of QC could kill this line and enough is enough. I love this line and was excited about Wave 6 in particular but I'm tired of getting broken figures so I'm done. Just curious if anyone else felt this way.

I'm mostly a MOC collector for these reasons, but I did open some. Report:

Unmasked Deathstroke was opened slightly on the peg. I covinced the cashier to get me a 10% discount because of it. :) So I opened him up. His right shoulder joint was really stuck, but after that, he was ok.

Didn't open figs again until Wave 5. I just had to have Metallo on my desk! Black Lightning's right leg broke off after too much fiddling. So did Eradicator's. :( Amazo had 2 right hands (funnily enough, the ring on the misplaced hand wasn't painted). Atom and Riddler were fine. Metallo is fine, thank goodness.

Since then, I don't open figs anymore.

Wave 5 was a no frills exclusive wave for Walmart so they were produced very cheaply. All I ever found was Riddler and 1 Black Lightning with his arm broken at the shoulder.

I'm not an opener but I did build Grundy and Grodd without complaints. Although I passed on many figures that had black paint speckled faces and some GL's with crooked logo.

I found some Wave 6 today (no Superman) and didn't notice any switched parts or major paint issues. The yellow paint bleed that plagued Red tornado seems to be fixed with Mr. Miracle.

So unless I find more Wave 5 figures the only thing I'm changing is my completist mentality.

A buddy said they seem to have changed slightly mold wise and less problems for hime with wave 6. The only one he had issues with was Killer Moth who uses the slightly older mold.

Draven

Clearly that's not the case. Four out of seven figures in the wave I picked up had a problem.

I can't believe the degree of problems people are having. My only real issue was Sinestro exploded at the crotch, but I fixed him.

All I can say is if you bought them off ebay they might be from China and were factory rejects; the first releases are usually. I think people that have picked them up stateside have said QC was pretty solid. Just a consideration.

As I write this I am knocking on every piece of wood in my house I have yet to have a problem with DCUC figures yet but it seems mattel is getting worse by the toy line with QC and then when they realise it is costing them $$ instead of fixing it they will just cancel the line and then we will be without this and Marvel Legends figures cause everybody and there grandma wants to make 3 and 3/4 figures @grumpy@

I can't believe the degree of problems people are having. My only real issue was Sinestro exploded at the crotch, but I fixed him.

All I can say is if you bought them off ebay they might be from China and were factory rejects; the first releases are usually. I think people that have picked them up stateside have said QC was pretty solid. Just a consideration.

I got Wave 6 from a dude in Denver. Wave 5 I got at my Rhode Island Wal-Mart and the two-packs I got at my Rhode Island Toys r Us.

But your point is well taken. I've always wondered (with all toys I've ever collected) if I just wait for the next round to reach the shelf the quality would be better. This line is not the case.

As I write this I am knocking on every piece of wood in my house I have yet to have a problem with DCUC figures yet but it seems mattel is getting worse by the toy line with QC and then when they realise it is costing them $$ instead of fixing it they will just cancel the line and then we will be without this and Marvel Legends figures cause everybody and there grandma wants to make 3 and 3/4 figures @grumpy@

Wave of the future. I picked up a few of those Marvel Universe figures from a guy in Singapore and they're pretty sweet. If t comes down to a 3 3/4" war then Mattel's going to lose badly because those Infinite Heroes are junk.

Wave of the future. I picked up a few of those Marvel Universe figures from a guy in Singapore and they're pretty sweet. If t comes down to a 3 3/4" war then Mattel's going to lose badly because those Infinite Heroes are junk.

yeah...i got a couple of marvel 3 3/4 figs. spidey, daredevil, and ironman to be exact. i must say that they blow the DCIH fig out of the water!