Done with DCUC

cjflan32

I've been a huge proponent of DC Universe Classics, that is until today when I got my set of DCUC Wave 6. Red and blue Superman's face apps were everywhere and my Killer Moth was missing wings (I bought these from a guy on Ebay who never mentioned it so there's a lesson learned there). Then I started moving parts around and Hawkman's leg fell off and Mr. Miracle's shoulder broke off. This has happened to me in several toy lines over the years but not three times in a row.

If it was the first time then I'd shrug it off but I got Wave 5 at Wal-Mart and Amazo's leg was hanging by a thread and then I bought the New Gods and GL two-packs and the joints were tough to move and the paint apps were everywhere. Strike three and Mattel's out. I also found it curious that Mattel doesn't offer an e-mail address for customer service on its products or its packages, just a phone number.

I know this isn't news to anyone, myself included, but lack of QC could kill this line and enough is enough. I love this line and was excited about Wave 6 in particular but I'm tired of getting broken figures so I'm done. Just curious if anyone else felt this way.

Damn

I have no such problems with the figures

Question is are you being rough with these?

If by rough you mean taking them out of the package and moving each body part to make sure they don't stick? Then yes, I'm being rough.

I didn't have a problem until Wave 5. First four and the Batman/Superman series before them were fine. Now it's like plastic crap.

never used ebay for this stuff, never will. I deal with other collectors on here and the Fwoosh, and they always look out for other collectors. The only bad DC figure i've gotten so far was an Orion from wave 1 with 2 left legs. That was my bad for not seeing it. But if you deal with other collectors, normally they'll find decent figures for ya. At least for me they did.

I have not had the volume of problems alot of people have had, which makes me wonder what eveyone's doing to make this happen? I'm sure no one's intentionally roughing up the figs, but maybe be a little gentler? I'm always real careful when unpackaging a fig, just to avoid this circumstance. Then, when out, I test each joint, and if it does not willingly function, I would take the appropriate action (freezer or hot bath) and see if that does the trick.

The only problems I have had that are significant were a Captain Atom that had two left arms, which I kept in pack until I could find a correct one, and a Wonder Woman, who required a quick bath to straighten her leg out because of the way she was posed in the package. Nothing has actually broken yet (updownleftright), but I would like to think I could take action before it came to that. Best advice is ALWAYS KEEP THE RECEIPT.

Oh, and I do not buy anything online that I could find in a store. That way, you can inspect the item before you buy it. Again, not something everyone has the option of doing, given their location, but if that is a problem, find someone here on the boards who you can trust to get stuff for you. At least then you know someone is checking it out who has your interests in mind as well.

I've been a huge proponent of DC Universe Classics, that is until today when I got my set of DCUC Wave 6. Red and blue Superman's face apps were everywhere and my Killer Moth was missing wings (I bought these from a guy on Ebay who never mentioned it so there's a lesson learned there). Then I started moving parts around and Hawkman's leg fell off and Mr. Miracle's shoulder broke off. This has happened to me in several toy lines over the years but not three times in a row.

If it was the first time then I'd shrug it off but I got Wave 5 at Wal-Mart and Amazo's leg was hanging by a thread and then I bought the New Gods and GL two-packs and the joints were tough to move and the paint apps were everywhere. Strike three and Mattel's out. I also found it curious that Mattel doesn't offer an e-mail address for customer service on its products or its packages, just a phone number.

I know this isn't news to anyone, myself included, but lack of QC could kill this line and enough is enough. I love this line and was excited about Wave 6 in particular but I'm tired of getting broken figures so I'm done. Just curious if anyone else felt this way.

Im with you on this, not sure if Im gonna quit the line, but thinking about it, it is not possible that Im paying a lot of money and the quality is decreasing....

In my case, my Batman Beyond, I just moved his legs down and up a couple times, and they broke off. Nothing extreme, just moving as the articulation is supposed.....

Not sure if I will keep collectiing the line.... Mattel seems to be thining the plastic with something else.

I actually bought a series 3 green lantern from kb toys. It had a leg that really sticked and eventually broke off. Since kb wasn't taken exchanges, I called customer service and they easily sent me a $10 mattel coupon for the problem three days later. They didn't ask me to return it, just asked for the product number on the bottom. Maybe you can do the same.

I actually bought a series 3 green lantern from kb toys. It had a leg that really sticked and eventually broke off. Since kb wasn't taken exchanges, I called customer service and they easily sent me a $10 mattel coupon for the problem three days later. They didn't ask me to return it, just asked for the product number on the bottom. Maybe you can do the same.

Appreciate the information.

I have not had the volume of problems alot of people have had, which makes me wonder what eveyone's doing to make this happen? I'm sure no one's intentionally roughing up the figs, but maybe be a little gentler? I'm always real careful when unpackaging a fig, just to avoid this circumstance. Then, when out, I test each joint, and if it does not willingly function, I would take the appropriate action (freezer or hot bath) and see if that does the trick.

The only problems I have had that are significant were a Captain Atom that had two left arms, which I kept in pack until I could find a correct one, and a Wonder Woman, who required a quick bath to straighten her leg out because of the way she was posed in the package. Nothing has actually broken yet (updownleftright), but I would like to think I could take action before it came to that. Best advice is ALWAYS KEEP THE RECEIPT.

Oh, and I do not buy anything online that I could find in a store. That way, you can inspect the item before you buy it. Again, not something everyone has the option of doing, given their location, but if that is a problem, find someone here on the boards who you can trust to get stuff for you. At least then you know someone is checking it out who has your interests in mind as well.

Seriously, I don't rough up any figures. All I do is twist the joints around to loosen them up, updownleftright as you say.

Paint apps are one thing, you can clearly see what's what. But you can't tell if a joints going to break until you open the package.

The worst part is I was anticipating the Adam Strange/Starfire pack but now I might as well forget it. The other day I was saying to myself I'll probably have to buy two sets just in case one has bad joints. That's insane troll logic.

Seriously, I don't rough up any figures. All I do is twist the joints around to loosen them up, updownleftright as you say.

Paint apps are one thing, you can clearly see what's what. But you can't tell if a joints going to break until you open the package.

The worst part is I was anticipating the Adam Strange/Starfire pack but now I might as well forget it. The other day I was saying to myself I'll probably have to buy two sets just in case one has bad joints. That's insane troll logic.

Actually, the updownleftright was a reference to the catholic religious symbol, but we won't get into that here.

I'm sorry you had the problems you've had. Means nothing, I know, but you should not have to experience that from any line, so I feel bad.

I have found figures in the stores that have terrible paint and wrong body parts.. but I passed on them.

I actually have never opened one up, so I am not sure if any of mine will fall apart.. I plan to keep them MOC because I don't want to chance it

Actually, the updownleftright was a reference to the catholic religious symbol, but we won't get into that here.

I'm sorry you had the problems you've had. Means nothing, I know, but you should not have to experience that from any line, so I feel bad.

Thanks for your sentiment and your translation (lol) but their just toys and I think it's time to move on to less expensive interests.

I have found figures in the stores that have terrible paint and wrong body parts.. but I passed on them.

I actually have never opened one up, so I am not sure if any of mine will fall apart.. I plan to keep them MOC because I don't want to chance it

You and me are both in that boat amego. & sadly cjflan, thats the only real advise I can give you. If you realy still want to collect the line, then step over to the MOC universe. Matter of fact Pooda and I were talkin about this QC crap the other day, and he made a good point. WAY back in the day we could throw our figs under the wheels of a small car and they would be just fine. But now, like some one else said 'its like there cutting the plastic with something else".

Man do you know how we sound when we talk like that? Like a bunch of dope junkies b*tchin about the local pusher cutting the "stuff" with some wack crap. I'm tired of the BS excuses. mattel is FULLY AWARE of there QC. Its simple, THEY DONT WANT TO FIX IT!! I mean why spend money to fix when the collectors are willing to spend there money wheather the toys are total sh*t or not.

If i was'nt already MOC I would have walked out on this line LOOOOOONG time ago. Like I said, I dare not open a single one for fear what might happen.

I've only had one figure break straight out of the package on this line...unfortunately it was the only Wave 2 classic Aquaman I've gotten my hands on. *ARGH!* The upside is that when you get a good figure, this line is AWESOME. The downside is that sometimes you get lousy figs....

Funny thing is...I remember a lot of these same complaints about Toy Biz Marvel Legends.

I've only had one figure break straight out of the package on this line...unfortunately it was the only Wave 2 classic Aquaman I've gotten my hands on. *ARGH!* The upside is that when you get a good figure, this line is AWESOME. The downside is that sometimes you get lousy figs....

Funny thing is...I remember a lot of these same complaints about Toy Biz Marvel Legends.

oh heck no!

I have a several hundred Marvel Legends/Spiderman Classics, Hulk Classics, FF classics, Xmen, etc etc... ( I have at least two of EVERY figure made: one open and one to five copies MOC), and they weren't nearly as bad as DCUC.

The paint got sloppy sometimes, but that would usually only be on certain figures with intricate details.

But I never had a figure break out of the package on me.

And all the other problems I had were easily fixed with heating them up, such as stuck joints or pins not going all the way through the joints).

I always found every figure I wanted with great quality, very easily.

But I can't believe how many DCUC figures I have had to pass on for nonsense issues like wrong body parts or terrible paint on simple costumes.

Why did I have to go through more than 10 GL figures before I found a good one.. His paint scheme is as easy as it gets

I have a several hundred Marvel Legends/Spiderman Classics, Hulk Classics, FF classics, Xmen, etc etc... ( I have at least two of EVERY figure made: one open and one to five copies MOC), and they weren't nearly as bad as DCUC.

I remember having plenty of trouble with Toy Biz figures. From the nineties up until the LCBH line, they've always had QC issues. I always thought though because TB was a smaller company. I wouldn't and shouldn't expect it from a major company like Mattel. I've had some trouble with some of the DCU line, like I just exchanged Hawkman because the first one I got had his leg break off while trying to unstick the joints. The second one I got had no problems to it.

I remember having plenty of trouble with Toy Biz figures. From the nineties up until the LCBH line, they've always had QC issues. I always thought though because TB was a smaller company. I wouldn't and shouldn't expect it from a major company like Mattel. I've had some trouble with some of the DCU line, like I just exchanged Hawkman because the first one I got had his leg break off while trying to unstick the joints. The second one I got had no problems to it.

The only problem I recall with ML's was that horrible purple X-23, maybe the worst figure I ever bought. The arm broke off, which was fine because I only wanted the Apocalypse piece.

It's not like I never had a figure's joint stick before, but at least with Toy Biz they got loose, not break off.

I have had some major issues recently, and had it out last week with a Mattel customer service rep. They have been offering very shoddy product and its gotten worse the past couple of waves, actually Wave 5 has been the worst for me, tons of easily broken and stuck parts on the figures. I currently have a Sinestro whose lower torso feel completely apart. I buy multiple figures and keep half loose and half in the package and the ones I have opened have been troublesome.

Also Toybiz is historically bad. They sucked when they first came on the scene with the Dc Superheroes product, cheap plastic that didn't compare to the quality of Kenner DCSP. Toybiz sucked until their demise, many of my Marvel Legends have stuck joint and/or feel apart, the damn Walmart Thor fell completely apart.

Toybiz sucked and Mattel is following suite, they had a good line an is currently ruining it to save cost.

I wouldn't say Toy Biz sucked. Their quality control wasn't as good as the big companies but some of my favorite most durable, sturdy, well crafted action figures are Toy Biz brand. And they still rock after all these years. This shouldn't be happening to Mattel though. They've been in the toy and action figure business for waaaay too long for them to begin having QC issues.

The Quality control on DCUC is far worse than Toy Biz's 2006 QC ever was. And I had about 5 ML figures from ML in 2006 break right out of the package.

I dont know about Marvel Legends (I use to collect the first line, and quit it because of availability, never had a QC issue) but DC Universe line is totally dropping the ball on this one.....Why is it that all the time, when Mattel has something that actually works, they find the way to screw it? Go and see MOTU, for example.

Well, getting back to the topic, I dont feel comfortable buying this line, if I was a MOC collector it would be just fine, but the case is that Im not. I like to open and pose the figures, and if Im not able to do it w/o breaking the figure, I cant keep buying them. Look at transformers. The only QC I had was with an Alternators Skids with 2 right hands, other than that, the line is flawless.