Custom Grail Temple

Stay_Dread

What did you use to make the detailing and the statues?

The statues on the pediment are 1:72 scale English Knights made by Italieri.

The bigger statues are made from two fridge magnets I bought in the Alnwick Castle gift shop a few years ago. I moulded them in liquid latex and cast them in plaster. I originally bought them to make the statues in the interior, but I thought I'd stick them on the facade as well.

The sculptures aren't totally accurate because the actual building where the scene was filmed (Al-Khazneh in Jordan) is not connected with Christianity or the Crusades, and in any case the sculptures are all eroded. I thought a Christian knights/Crusades theme would work pretty well.

For the decorative friezes I glued on some ribbons - the idea is that when they're painted they'll look like carved stonework.

The dentils (which are the little cubes under the ledges) are just strips of plastic that I cut into with a hacksaw and glued on in continuous strips.

• 1 year later...

The only thing I can suggest is to put the DVD on and pause at that part where you see it

I tried that but you never get a clear shot of it.

I've already made the table with the grails and the alcove with the statues, so I'll be posting pics soon.

I've started working on the knight's room. Here is one of my reference photos.

371.jpg

Here is what I have so far. I made the structure out of card and the dome out of paper mache, then covered the inside with air-drying clay and sanded it down to get it smooth. The sculptures are just various things I glued on.

CIMG6483.jpg

I used two plastic knights, plus some 1:72 scale crusaders. The statues should really be medieval monks, but you can't really buy them, so I'm just using knights.

I bought the statue of Jesus on eBay. I also glued on some decorative ribbon, which will hopefully look like stonework when painted.

CIMG6480.jpg

I still have to cover the wall surface with paper mache to make it look like rock.

CIMG6486.jpg

So now I've got to collect enough cups to make the fake grails.

• 1 month later...

An update of the knight's room. I bought a rubber rock mould and made some rocks to glue around the arch. I'm going to line the whole interior with them.

CIMG6689.jpg

I made the carved pillars around the entrance. The sculptures are just 1:72 scale knights.

CIMG6686.jpg

I also made a box for the whole dio. The door that Indy crawls through is on the right.

CIMG6688.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOL I wish I had half your talent

Thanks, man. It's just a case of finding enough time to work on them. Not easy, which is why it takes me so long. The trouble is I move onto new projects before finishing the old ones. Stand by for some updates on my Well of Souls set.

I've also been thinking about doing something from Temple of Doom, either the temple itself or the rope bridge.

• 2 weeks later...