Destro's mask

revsears

so i'm on this custom quest to start making my joes more realistic and i'm really stumped with destro. I tried popping a serpy head on an ig destro and it doesn't look quite right. He looks ready for battle... but he forgot his helmet. Anybody have any suggestions? the metal head is so iconic i feel like if i use anything else to cover his face he can't pass as destro, yet i think a bald man going to battle in body armor and no helmet isn't very realistic.

The few times we've seen James McCullen Destro's face, he's not even bald. He has blonde ( I think it was once depicted as brown ) hair, parted to one side. The face that most resembles Destro in the 25th line is probably Blowtorch, at this point. Maybe General Hawk, I suppose.

Tom

The few times we've seen James McCullen Destro's face, he's not even bald. He has blonde ( I think it was once depicted as brown ) hair, parted to one side.

Actually, it's usually depicted as brown, but was blond in his younger days... and when colorists were feeling lazy.

Here he is as a teen, alongside Daddy Destro:

destro1.jpg

And here he is showing his mug to the Baroness:

destro2.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the big images, but I can't seem to make the attached images show up. Dunno if that's the board's fault or mine... :(

so i'm on this custom quest to start making my joes more realistic and i'm really stumped with destro. I tried popping a serpy head on an ig destro and it doesn't look quite right. He looks ready for battle... but he forgot his helmet. Anybody have any suggestions? the metal head is so iconic i feel like if i use anything else to cover his face he can't pass as destro, yet i think a bald man going to battle in body armor and no helmet isn't very realistic.

A "realistic" Destro mask would probably look more like the very earliest incarnations of the mask (where the expression didn't change and the lips didn't move), or more like Dr. Doom from Marvel Comics.

Discussing the depictions of the mask in comic books/cartoons, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves in when artists get lazy or ignorant and draw Destro screaming/scared/in any way emoting WITH the helmet on! The helmet is steel, not some magic unstable molecules. The whole point was that the man appeared emotionless at all times due to the ruggedness of the mask. AARRGGGHHH. Sorry. This one just really bugs me.

Discussing the depictions of the mask in comic books/cartoons, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves in when artists get lazy or ignorant and draw Destro screaming/scared/in any way emoting WITH the helmet on! The helmet is steel, not some magic unstable molecules. The whole point was that the man appeared emotionless at all times due to the ruggedness of the mask. AARRGGGHHH. Sorry. This one just really bugs me.

But isn't that... pretty much everything after his first few appearances? The mask has inexplicably followed his facial features for almost all of the comics he's been in, and in every appearance in the cartoon. Heck, even some of his figures showed expression.

I think eventually they just tried to pass it off as some "magic metal" that MARS had created. The DDP comics seemed to have it as being a hologram or somesuch. Either way, they've just handwaved it.

Though in all truth, I'd think "lazy" would be making it have the same expression all the time. ;) More like "inconsistent" artists. And heck, even the toon had his mouth/face moving when he spoke.

The few times we've seen James McCullen Destro's face, he's not even bald. He has blonde ( I think it was once depicted as brown ) hair, parted to one side.

Actually, it's usually depicted as brown, but was blond in his younger days... and when colorists were feeling lazy.

Here he is as a teen, alongside Daddy Destro:

destro1.jpg

And here he is showing his mug to the Baroness:

destro2.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the big images, but I can't seem to make the attached images show up. Dunno if that's the board's fault or mine... :(

kinda has a Sean Connery type look to him. Which would fit a romantic Villan so to speak.

DDP suggested that the mask had been advanced using MARS technology to allow for speech and facial expressions. I mean, you can't exactly have that with a 17th century steel/iron mask and helmet

As I have always understood it, the mask is a very high-tech piece of gear. In addition to optical and audio tech built in, the mask itself has been seen to have enough underlying "structure" to it to suggest that its wearer can emote and display facial expressions. The character has been drawn in the comics in this way at times, but NOT shown in the cartoons this way.

The assumption is that any seam lines on the facial plates and contours are so finely tooled that they are very hard to see unless very very close. This would also support the idea that the mask is an expensive high-tech piece of gear as well.

The only reason it mostly appears as more of a mask than a actual human face is because Detsro wants to maintain the legacy of the appearance of the mask--as its a family symbol, after all.

DDP suggested that the mask had been advanced using MARS technology to allow for speech and facial expressions. I mean, you can't exactly have that with a 17th century steel/iron mask and helmet

As I have always understood it, the mask is a very high-tech piece of gear. In addition to optical and audio tech built in, the mask itself has been seen to have enough underlying "structure" to it to suggest that its wearer can emote and display facial expressions. The character has been drawn in the comics in this way at times, but NOT shown in the cartoons this way.

The assumption is that any seam lines on the facial plates and contours are so finely tooled that they are very hard to see unless very very close. This would also support the idea that the mask is an expensive high-tech piece of gear as well.

The only reason it mostly appears as more of a mask than a actual human face is because Detsro wants to maintain the legacy of the appearance of the mask--as its a family symbol, after all.

That explains how it was done in the comics. For the toons, we've always got Suspesion of Disbelief here to get the mask to move and portray expressions, otherwise you have a drone head.

kinda has a Sean Connery type look to him. Which would fit a romantic Villan so to speak.

Totally, I wouldn't be surprised if that artist used a picture of Connery from his Bond days as the model.

Makes sense. Destro is Scottish, too. It seems rather fitting.

Right. In later issues of the comic, it was shown to have infrared and nightvision, voice modulation, and even a HUD (heads-up display) readout with time, navigation (specifically, maps of his castle, complete with booby traps), and a battle computer that fed him info on his enemy's fighting styles and combat maneuvers so that he could adjust and enhance his own battle prowess.

...then you take the facial expressions and the (lack of) size for all this into account, and the idea that it's this genius piece of work, and that he saves the best thigns for himself, becomes rather apparent. :)

Wow, you know that is the first time I ever saw Destro's face!!! Ha ha ha, not what I expected!! For such a hulking physique, he looks a bit small in the face!!! I was expecting more of a square jawed villain!!!

Well finally now I know!!! And yes we all know the rest!!!

• 2 weeks later...
The few times we've seen James McCullen Destro's face, he's not even bald. He has blonde ( I think it was once depicted as brown ) hair, parted to one side. The face that most resembles Destro in the 25th line is probably Blowtorch, at this point. Maybe General Hawk, I suppose.

Tom

I realized that but i was going for something closer to his iconic look (the bald metal head) but sans metal. I want him to have a helmet but how pratical is a metal mask? snipers would know right where he is! So i was thinking what do you all think about a Dark grey (dull not shiny metal) version? or maybe a grey IG helmet. Would that still say destro to you?