GI Joe was 'futuristic' from the first wave. Flash the Laser Trooper can tell you all about it.

Actually......at the time of his debut, Flash wasn't all that futuristic. LASERS were in use on the battlefield, in several capacities, from targeting spotting to offensive use.

Yea, that's right........used as weapons!

There's evidence from the Iran/Iraq war of the 80's that LASERS were used by Iraq to blind Iranian troops. LASERS were used as a counter to human wave assaults which the Iranians employed, and used to zap the retinas of anyone that popped their head up over the lip of the trenches they were fighting from.

So Flash could be seen as a very topical character, if used as a spotter--something that fits his filecard info, IIRC.

There's other characters that fit the futuristic and fantasy themes a lot better.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, Hasbro does own Dungeons and Dragons now....

Some of those figures done in "modern" style (articulation/paint/accessory wise) would be friggin' awesome. Warduke and Northwind in particular.

I saw a custom Warduke, though I've forgotten who did it, and yes, it was indeed quite awesome. Pretty sure I saw it at goodtogo back before the change over to Trigate.

I doubt the line would ever get the support needed to revive it, but man I'd sure like to see it.

• Thanks 1

GI Joe was 'futuristic' from the first wave. Flash the Laser Trooper can tell you all about it.

Actually......at the time of his debut, Flash wasn't all that futuristic. LASERS were in use on the battlefield, in several capacities, from targeting spotting to offensive use.

There's evidence from the Iran/Iraq war of the 80's that LASERS were used by Iraq to blind Iranian troops. LASERS were used as a counter to human wave assaults which the Iranians employed, and used to zap the retinas of anyone that popped their head up over the lip of the trenches they were fighting from.

So Flash could be seen as a very topical character, if used as a spotter--something that fits his filecard info, IIRC.

There's other characters that fit the futuristic and fantasy themes a lot better.

Except that your 'offensive use' options don't include things like burning through armored doors (issue 2) and frying snakes (issue 7), which is most notably the sort of stuff Flash did in the comics. Flash's MOS is 'Laser Rifle Trooper', which can be taken either way, but to me suggests a more active frontline battlefield role than 'spotter'.

As with most fictional portrayals, in GI Joe a laser is weapon that is destructive in and of itself, not a spotting device or blinding deterrent. The idea that lasers were destructive weapons in the Joeverse from day one is further backed by the HAL (Heavy Artillery Laser) which came out at the same time.

• Thanks 1

Compared to the Ninja and Star Brigades, Inhumanoids is much less fantastic since it deals with scientists digging underground and finding monsters...which is close to the whole Cobra-La angle of the G.I. Joe Movie. Same thing, really. D'Compose probably knows Nemesis Enforcer/Immortal from school.

Well, as someone who really didn't care for Cobra-La, that's just another nail in the coffin. ;)

However, I wouldn't have a problem if they brought Cobra-La back in the 'modern' era line, per se. I wouldn't buy it myself, but at least it's 'Joe'. I just don't like the idea of merging lines. As I've said before, I'm all for bringing back 80's toy properties, just bring them back on their own merits, not piggy backed onto the Joe revival. I for one would love to see things like Visionaries, Silverhawks, etc...and I'd kill for the Dungeons and Dragons line of the 80's to see a modern revisitation.

I totally agree. I don't mind if they bring them back, just not in the joe line.
  • Thanks 1

Hasbro should do a line based on their old 80's properties like Inhumanoids, Visionaries, Battle Beasts, Cops N Crooks, etc. However I wouldn't kick up a fuss if they did piggy back it with the Joe line. Hasbro could do it as a sub series like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat back in the 90's. My main interest would be just to get the figures out there, regardless of the outlet.

• Thanks 1

Except that your 'offensive use' options don't include things like burning through armored doors (issue 2) and frying snakes (issue 7), which is most notably the sort of stuff Flash did in the comics. Flash's MOS is 'Laser Rifle Trooper', which can be taken either way, but to me suggests a more active frontline battlefield role than 'spotter'.

As with most fictional portrayals, in GI Joe a laser is weapon that is destructive in and of itself, not a spotting device or blinding deterrent. The idea that lasers were destructive weapons in the Joeverse from day one is further backed by the HAL (Heavy Artillery Laser) which came out at the same time.

I love the thought of Flash being able to do ALL that stuff. Mabye the difference between spotting and burning a hole in something is how much he pulls the trigger? Even though there was the HAL, if these WAS a laser weapon top of the line, cutting edge technology in 82', then that laser would be pretty big. To me G.I.JOE is the same as star wars. Its just set a modern time here on earth. works for me..

• Thanks 1

...and I'd kill for the Dungeons and Dragons line of the 80's to see a modern revisitation.

I never realized there was such a line until I saw you mention it here, so I went looking, and found out I actually owned two of these figures (think I still have them in storage):

Ogre King - http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dra...s/OgreKing.html

Young Male Titan - http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dra...gMaleTitan.html

I remember my dad buying them for me at a grocery/drug store when I was really young, and never remembered what line they were from. I always used them with my MOTU figures. :)

• Thanks 1

I love the thought of Flash being able to do ALL that stuff. Mabye the difference between spotting and burning a hole in something is how much he pulls the trigger?

Certainly that's a doable concept in your personal canon. However, in issue #3 of the Marvel comic (I got the number wrong when I mentioned it earlier), Flash uses his laser on low power to burn through the lock on an armored door. He states clearly that he could knock the door wide open with a full-power blast.

Of course, the reason he doesn't use full power has something to do with oxygen conservation, which makes no sense to me, as lasers are light-based, and to my knowledge, wouldn't "eat up" oxygen as he claims. Not only that, but he uses it in close-quarters in that very issue (not to mention others) without worrying about using up the air.

That's just at the beginning of the comic. I won't even BEGIN to go into all the madness inherent in the way lasers were used in the Sunbow toon! @loll@

It's probably best to just chalk it up to sketchy science and say that lasers in the Joeverse work however you say they do, than to look for actual evidence of how it works in the fiction.

• Thanks 1

...and I'd kill for the Dungeons and Dragons line of the 80's to see a modern revisitation.

I never realized there was such a line until I saw you mention it here, so I went looking, and found out I actually owned two of these figures (think I still have them in storage):

Ogre King - http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dra...s/OgreKing.html

Young Male Titan - http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Dra...gMaleTitan.html

I remember my dad buying them for me at a grocery/drug store when I was really young, and never remembered what line they were from. I always used them with my MOTU figures. :)

I've gone back and bought most of the ones I had when I was young, but the Ogre King is one I still haven't managed to pick up for a decent price yet. I need him, Mettaflame, Mandoom, Drex, Zorgar and Tiamat to have all the ones I had when I was young. The only two I didn't have back in the day were Hawkler and the Titan.

• Thanks 1

I read in Wizard magazine #138 in an interview for the producer of the Transformers and Gi Joe movies that Hasbro got right with paramount to make 5 movies from it's brands!

They talk about bring back some of the old brands from Hasbro to the new era!

So Inhumanoids could be a great option since it got everything to be a great movie...

That's just it, Sci-Fi was more pronounced, but I think the "weapon" meant something along the lines of what people THINK when they think laser.

That is, burning a hole in something. Using it for laser guided munitions or blinding someone is one thing, but actually burning a hole through them is another.

In other words, to do damage and kill, not just blind.

• Thanks 1

• 14 years later...