Mass Device Packs

Valdin

I saw sets 3 and 4 at Target yesterday, and had money on me. But decided against these (for now). I do want to complete the mass device, but am not happy with these. Firstly I hate repaints (with small exceptions). Second, the new figures were nothing to be go nuts over. I was looking at the figures, and got to say quality control went downhill. I am not impressed. Quick Kick looked like a cheapo generic figure that you would find at big lots for a buck especially in the paint job. I liked the snake eyes, but its another snake eyes. Not worth 20 bucks for 1 figure and a build a peice. Anyone else feel gyped by these, or is it just me. I am kinda getting dissapointed with what hasbro is offering now. I can see others are too cause the stores are getting backed up with the repaints in this neck of the woods.

While I understand what you're saying, I don't completely agree.

Personally, I liked these 2 sets better than the first 2.

The "Arise, Serpentor, Arise!" set was nice. It was good to get Dusty, although I would've preferred him in his original camo over the tiger-stripe camo they gave him. I liked the Serpentor in this set a lot better than the first two we got, since this one actually payed homage to the original. I'll also take as many BATS as I can get. The only real stinker was the skeleton.

The other set wasn't exactly the greatest though. I could do without ever owning another 25th style CC. Major Bludd was a good figure from this set...better than the single carded one. I understand what you're saying about Quick Kick. He DOES kind of look like a cheap knock-off...still good to get him though. The Snake Eyes was the one figure from this set that really shined...looks just like he did in the old cartoons.

Overall, I'm happy with both sets...but I do think they could do a better job at giving us some characters that we haven't already seen many, MANY times throughout this line.

PS - Forgot to mention that I'm a sucker for the cartoon rifle, so that's another pro to these sets. :)

While I understand what you're saying, I don't completely agree.

Personally, I liked these 2 sets better than the first 2.

The "Arise, Serpentor, Arise!" set was nice. It was good to get Dusty, although I would've preferred him in his original camo over the tiger-stripe camo they gave him. I liked the Serpentor in this set a lot better than the first two we got, since this one actually payed homage to the original. I'll also take as many BATS as I can get. The only real stinker was the skeleton.

The other set wasn't exactly the greatest though. I could do without ever owning another 25th style CC. Major Bludd was a good figure from this set...better than the single carded one. I understand what you're saying about Quick Kick. He DOES kind of look like a cheap knock-off...still good to get him though. The Snake Eyes was the one figure from this set that really shined...looks just like he did in the old cartoons.

Overall, I'm happy with both sets...but I do think they could do a better job at giving us some characters that we haven't already seen many, MANY times throughout this line.

PS - Forgot to mention that I'm a sucker for the cartoon rifle, so that's another pro to these sets. :)

yeah i agree with everything you mentioned. i liked them too. major bludd is cartoon accurate and snake eyes is pretty damn close too. cobra commander & the dumb as skeleton should have not been included.

True,

I think to me the Serpentor figure was a little drab, like he was covered in dust or something. The skeleton, could have been filled by a different figure. To me the cobra commander was odd looking too, maybe a little too bright blue. I guess I like the dark blue original, but could have used this mold. I hate to complain, but seriously. I feel the same way about the Bats, and the snow serpents etc. We need an OverKill figure to lead the BAT army, and some school bus transports to open up and release the masses.

... the dumb as skeleton should have not been included.

Ya, I don't know what the deal was with that. I don't know why they couldn't have just thrown in a Cobra Trooper or some other army builder. Heck, I'd even prefer army builders over all the CC's we've been getting. I think I have just about as many CC's as I do normal Cobra Troops in the 25th line. @lol@

I saw these too, just don't have the cash, but I do like them the best, mainly Dusty.. I'm kinda holding off, hoping that Dusty comes out in a comic pack or something(my luck it'll be tiger force, lol).. so... here's to hoping.

I was able to get sets 3, 4, & 5 myself this weekend at my local Wally World. Overall I'm pretty happy with the sets, but some of the character selections (Montezuma's Skeleton & screaming Duke especially) just make you scratch your head and ask wtf.

I really liked the figure of Kick kick and Major Bludd in cartoon colors.

Hope Hasbro make more of this packs, maybe another five packs with the Weather Dominator or The Terror Drome Lab from the Arise, Serpentor, Arise with the mutant Serpentor, Dr. Mindbender, Sgt. Slaugter and ?

iistripe1.jpg

arisestripe.jpg

Arise12.jpg

Arise16.jpg

Um, they already did the Weather Dominator.

The QK figure does leave something to be desired, but Dusty is actually really nice. And Alpine from set 5 is a great update.

I actually liked the 'idea' of the skeleton, until I had one in my hands and realized it was just a little statue and barely articulated. If they had been a bit better made I would have dug them quite a bit.

As for the rest of the repaints, they're more or less standard fare. As I lean more toward the comics than the cartoons, the cartoon colors don't usually appeal to me.

Um, they already did the Weather Dominator.

The QK figure does leave something to be desired, but Dusty is actually really nice. And Alpine from set 5 is a great update.

I actually liked the 'idea' of the skeleton, until I had one in my hands and realized it was just a little statue and barely articulated. If they had been a bit better made I would have dug them quite a bit.

As for the rest of the repaints, they're more or less standard fare. As I lean more toward the comics than the cartoons, the cartoon colors don't usually appeal to me.

The "idea" of the skeleton was ok, sure, but it should have stayed an "idea". At least the Weather Dominator and that plant/vine thing could be used for something.

What's wrong with Quick Kick? Except for the stupid "knife hand" he's pretty accurate. The only thing I can think of was it woulda been cool if the shuriken were removable from his sash.

Personally, I've loved every DVD set so far. Then again, I like to customize, so anything I don't want for the collection ends up driving vehicles or becoming someone else (or both).

Can't seem to find the Best Of set though. If anyone wants to lend me a hand there, fire me a PM. I have a ton of Marvel/DC figures that I'm willing to trade, and if nothing else, there's always money. :)

The "idea" of the skeleton was ok, sure, but it should have stayed an "idea". At least the Weather Dominator and that plant/vine thing could be used for something.

There's like 5-6 times in the Sunbow series alone that Joe fights skeletons, ghosts, and the various undead. An articulated skeleton figure could have served as any of them in a person's collection. Even better, a slight remold/repaint could have gotten us a Skeletron from Action Force. They didn't need to be as articulated as a regular Joe figure to pull this off, just... something more than what we got.

Perhaps they did intend to articulate it, and held back for some reason... after all, the blasted thing has foot-holes, even though it looks ridiculous standing and is obviously meant to lie down!

What's wrong with Quick Kick? Except for the stupid "knife hand" he's pretty accurate. The only thing I can think of was it woulda been cool if the shuriken were removable from his sash.

I've seen more than one person complain about his ankles not being articulated. Honestly, I'm more concerned with the number of 'sloppy-eyed' QKs I had to wade through just to get one I'd merely call decent!

Ok so I went back to the store and found 1 box left, the arise serpentor arise pack. I had a gift certificate i got for xmas, so I used it on that. Dusty looks a little missing without his webgear. Now with the serpentors. I like the color scheme to the first serpentor, and think his colors are more RAH, and this one in the box set fits the devils due colors. I swapped helmets. But couldn't swap the capes, or the headpeice, they are attached and from the looks of it, and can't be removed or they might break. any reccomendations? Which looks better on the air chariot? Thanks

BTW the skeleton is cool, but would have been better with some articulation.

The karate chop hand, the non-articulated ankles, and Hulk Hogan skintone, mainly. :)

i honestly wasn't pleased with the sets overal. I loved the dusty, lj and got a few good parts from the deal. But a lot of mine are going to be hitting my for sale pile as soon as i've finished moving.

I swapped helmets. But couldn't swap the capes, or the headpeice, they are attached and from the looks of it, and can't be removed or they might break. any reccomendations? Which looks better on the air chariot?

The cape and hood are glued in place, but can be removed without breaking (by a good strong pull or a sharp knife, your call). The pegs that hold them to the figure will most likely break, but you can just glue them on to your figure of choice.

I believe the popular combo is to put the helmet, chest armor, cape, and hood from the ASA set onto the single-carded figure, then put that figure on the Air Chariot. IMO, it does lead to the 'best' version, although it also leaves you with two extra Serpys... which would be the case anyway with most of us, so no big loss there.

Here's more description and a pic of the end product, courtesy of David Willis. Yes, the Shortpacked! guy.

I've liked them so far. I think it was an interesting way to get the idea of a BAF into the Joe-verse. Maybe not executed as well as with ML or DCUC but maybe with coming packs (should they exist) we'll get better.

I just picked up the Pyramid of Darkness set and the Snake Eyes has been replaced with someone else. It wasn't someone opening the package and inserting some other figure. The plastic insert was shaped the right way and the figure was rubber banded into place. It looks like a muddied evil Cobra version of Snake Eyes but without any weapons. I have no opened it, since I have no idea if this is a rarer version of the set, so I don't know the name of the figure from the file cards, but I have never seen this character before. Can anyone help me ID this guy?

I swapped helmets. But couldn't swap the capes, or the headpeice, they are attached and from the looks of it, and can't be removed or they might break. any reccomendations? Which looks better on the air chariot?

The cape and hood are glued in place, but can be removed without breaking (by a good strong pull or a sharp knife, your call). The pegs that hold them to the figure will most likely break, but you can just glue them on to your figure of choice.

I believe the popular combo is to put the helmet, chest armor, cape, and hood from the ASA set onto the single-carded figure, then put that figure on the Air Chariot. IMO, it does lead to the 'best' version, although it also leaves you with two extra Serpys... which would be the case anyway with most of us, so no big loss there.

Here's more description and a pic of the end product, courtesy of David Willis. Yes, the Shortpacked! guy.

That is exactly what I have been planning to do once I find the Serpentor set. Only difference was that I also plan to paint the chest coiled snakes green to match the old figure. I do miss the "snake mittens" as he refered to them. For some reason, as a kid, they were one of my favorite details of the figure.

... the dumb as skeleton should have not been included.

Ya, I don't know what the deal was with that. I don't know why they couldn't have just thrown in a Cobra Trooper or some other army builder. Heck, I'd even prefer army builders over all the CC's we've been getting. I think I have just about as many CC's as I do normal Cobra Troops in the 25th line. @lol@

Dr. Mindbender would have fit in this box set easily.

I like Montezuma's Skeleton, but it shouldn't have been classified as a figure. It should have been treated as an "accessory" of Sepentor's. Since it is a figure, it should have been given better articulation

So that pack and the Revenge of Cobra pack needed to come with another true figure

I feel that they're getting better as they go. QK and Dusty were pretty good figures (ok, so QK lacked ankle articulation, I'm sure a lot of people would have complained about "suicide ankles" or something so I'm not surprised)

ANd the last pack looks awesome, Its the first two we got ripped off on.

@can@

I just managed to find the Alpine and Dusty packs.

As for Quick Kick, I always thought the swivel ankles was stupid, especially with the foot hole in the MIDDLE of the foot instead of the heel. These guys will be difficult to stand after awhile (well, that is if posed or played with). The knife hand bugs me like the fists, but not as much as Shipwreck's fist did and, at least, its, well, different.

I just picked up the Pyramid of Darkness set and the Snake Eyes has been replaced with someone else. It wasn't someone opening the package and inserting some other figure. The plastic insert was shaped the right way and the figure was rubber banded into place. It looks like a muddied evil Cobra version of Snake Eyes but without any weapons. I have no opened it, since I have no idea if this is a rarer version of the set, so I don't know the name of the figure from the file cards, but I have never seen this character before. Can anyone help me ID this guy?

Pic?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I broke down and bought the arise serpentor arise pack, as well as the air chariot vehicle pack. I have decided I do want to finish the mass device and will have to wait til next paycheck to get the quick kick pack but I will get it. The best of looks awesome, I can't wait to get that one. Now is there any way to remove the head peice and shoulder snakes holding the cape in place with out cutting them? Like flying Fyggs boiling method or something? Also, the wierd thing is my air chariot pack didn't have a cape for serpentor. Did I not look everywhere or what? Lastly my dusty didn't come with the webgear, so I think I will contact customer service about that. It's worth a shot anyway. Thanks guys.