Milestone Comics

Lord Amron

With my time off from work I've been using the days to catch up on my ebay and Mile High Comic books. I've always been a big fan of Milestone but mainly followed Blood Syndicate and Hardware. Recently I opened the door to Icon and really am feeling the guy. Now with Milestone fully a part of the DCU I want action figs!!! I'd love DCUC sculpts but at this point would be happy with DC Direct as well. So my question is any other fans of Milestone?? Who would you like to see in plastic??

I think the only character we would see in the next couple of years for the DCUC line would be Static shock. I think he and every other milestone characters would be on mattel's can't do characters, but since he is popular, been in the cartoon, and l think is gettin a jlu figu, l am sure we would probably see him.

I was going to post this same topic. I want to see DCUC of most of these characters. I REALLY want Icon and Rocket figures and anyone else they can throw into the mix, plus why not Majestic if he is still licsened through DC. I don't care if these are DC Direct as long as they eventually are made into DCUC figures. I only want DCUC but kool for those looking for them as DCD/

Best bet is DC Direct. Mattel won't be able to make them since these aren't "DCU" characters. It's a difference license. But good news is if DCD make Milestone comic figures it will be easier to find and have nice sculpts true to the art.

Seein that Static is now a TT member in the canon DC universe, I think we will see a toy of him in the DCU line. I mean he was popular character a few years ago, when his cartoon was shown on wb.

It seems that Static will be be protrayed in the DC comics in his cartoon outfit and not his milestone one:

250px-Static.jpg

So my question is any other fans of Milestone??

Milestone was a terribly executed and misguided politically driven attempt to create more minority super-heroes. Unfortunately, when you sit down to create a character and you say, "Okay. We need a new super hero. First, he's got to be black. Now what?" the results are usually forced and uninspired. They certainly were with the bag of cliches that was Milestone. DC however has a hard time letting its failures die. This whole line went no where. No one asked for a resurgence yet much like the often failed Steel, who bombed in just about every medium imaginable, DC is now trying to shoehorn these characters into the rest of the DCU. I hope its not going to take another Crisis stunt to remove them and erase any impact they might have.

Who would you like to see in plastic??

No one.

So my question is any other fans of Milestone??

Milestone was a terribly executed and misguided politically driven attempt to create more minority super-heroes. Unfortunately, when you sit down to create a character and you say, "Okay. We need a new super hero. First, he's got to be black. Now what?" the results are usually forced and uninspired. They certainly were with the bag of cliches that was Milestone. DC however has a hard time letting its failures die. This whole line went no where. No one asked for a resurgence yet much like the often failed Steel, who bombed in just about every medium imaginable, DC is now trying to shoehorn these characters into the rest of the DCU. I hope its not going to take another Crisis stunt to remove them and erase any impact they might have.

Who would you like to see in plastic??

No one.

Wow that's quite the proclamation!!! It sounds to me you have:

A) not read a Milestone comic (and by read I mean READ not just flipped through the pages and/or turn your nose up at the concept)

B) No idea what the concept of Milestone was about. It was more than just "Superman in Blackface" of a "ghetto Iron Man/ X-men."

So I'm gathering your thoughts are Milestone is a "bag of cliches" or Black first/superheroes second creations which could not be further than the truth. The fact that Milestone recieved numerous awards and accolades from the likes of Neil Gaiman and others, was for a time the 5th largest comic book company, and includes a well recieved cartoon (that happened to be thought well enough of to be folded in JLU continiuty) shows the property went alot farther than "nowhere". Hell it's damn near impossible to complete a Milestone run.....but I can find tons of back issues for other popular heroes (Spiderman, GL, Superman, Batman, etc) I guess that's because Milestone was so crappy that people still enjoy reading the back issues

p.s. Milestone was multicultural which included Cubans, Asians, and others (including white people) which was different than what DC or Marvel did/does.

[it sounds to me you have:

A) not read a Milestone comic

I read enough to determine that these were very forced pedestrian concepts that might amuse a developmentally challenged eight-year-old who'd never read a comic book before and so would find these concepts "fresh" but did nothing for me.

[

B) No idea what the concept of Milestone was about.

Yes. I do. I remain unimpressed. Milestone is best tossed into a quarter bin or given to a blind illiterate who won't be offended by the over-worked mundane art or the uninspired by-the-numbers mechanical story.

But, hey, if you like it, enjoy it.

[it sounds to me you have:

A) not read a Milestone comic

I read enough to determine that these were very forced pedestrian concepts that might amuse a developmentally challenged eight-year-old who'd never read a comic book before and so would find these concepts "fresh" but did nothing for me.

[

B) No idea what the concept of Milestone was about.

Yes. I do. I remain unimpressed. Milestone is best tossed into a quarter bin or given to a blind illiterate who won't be offended by the over-worked mundane art or the uninspired by-the-numbers mechanical story.

But, hey, if you like it, enjoy it.

Your continued statements prove otherwise but to each his own!!! I will say (again) that the fact that some of the industries finest and many fans not only enjoyed the company but also saw that it was everything EXCEPT what you proclaim is enough for me. Give me a Icon, Hardware, and Icon in the DCUC!!!!!

I will say (again) that the fact that some of the industries finest and many fans not only enjoyed the company but also saw that it was everything EXCEPT what you proclaim is enough for me.

The entire line was a huge flop. Everything was cancelled within a couple of years. That should say something about it.

Once again though, we all have the right to like garbage. There have been quite a few really bad books that I got a kick out of too. I remain objective about it though and understand that I'm probably all alone in that Thunder Riders Fan Club. To me, they'll always be Team America though... Sigh!

I will say (again) that the fact that some of the industries finest and many fans not only enjoyed the company but also saw that it was everything EXCEPT what you proclaim is enough for me.

The entire line was a huge flop. Everything was cancelled within a couple of years. That should say something about it.

Once again though, we all have the right to like garbage. There have been quite a few really bad books that I got a kick out of too. I remain objective about it though and understand that I'm probably all alone in that Thunder Riders Fan Club. To me, they'll always be Team America though... Sigh!

A huge flop how??? You completely missed everything I just said that illustrated it was not what your singular opinion (that seems based on bias anyways) thinks. Not only was Milestone nominated for/won numerous awards they also launched careers for many "household" names in the industry.

Oh and let's not forget that MANY new comic universes crashed and burned during the late 90s (Dark Horse Legends anyone??) that as of now show no signs of returning EVER. The fact that we're seeing Milestone again (even though they never truly went away) kinda says what both fans and creatorsreally thought of the line DESPITE your "educated and in depth" reasons why it was garbage.

I think Lord Amron is right line crashed due to economics more than poor stories. I also like seeing some diversty in comics instead of current sterotypical roles that appear in many books. If they can make some of them obscures that have been made in recent times they can make Milestone .

Not only was Milestone nominated for/won numerous awards...

Comic book awards are truly one of the most MEANINGLESS accomplishments anywhere.

You ever notice how when the Academy Award nominations roll around, a good chunk of them are for movies that no one has ever heard of let alone seen? It's a lot worse in comic books. A LOT WORSE! Consider that successful comics that people have heard about such as Suerman, Batman, X-Men, sell only in the TENS of thousands. These are probably the most well-known comic book characters out there and that's all they can manage to sell... and rarely does the Best Comic Book of the Year award go to Superman. What can be said of these stale old Milestone books? Hardware, at fifty issues, was the longest lasting title running from '93 to about '97. That alone is hardly indicative of a successful run. One must also remember that comics don't "turn bad" and get cancelled in a single issue. Most comics tend to die slow cancerous deaths. Factor in DC's notorious stubbornness to abort bad ideas, most likely magnified by their unwillingness to axe their great experiment with minority characters, and you can probably whittle Milestone's run to about a year and a half of decent issues.

I was going to look up the sales on these books, but I stopped caring. My point was made.

Oh and let's not forget that MANY new comic universes crashed and burned during the late 90s (Dark Horse Legends anyone??) that as of now show no signs of returning EVER.

This means nothing. As I said earlier, DC is infamous for not letting go of a bad idea. Steel is due for another revival any day now. Throw into the mix DC's regularly recurring desire to create more minority super-heroes and there you have the reason why they're digging up these graves and trying to resurrect the corpses of Milestone. This will most likely go nowhere. Even if the characters linger around haunting the place for a year or so, eventually they will go away again. Then in five or ten years, DC will dig 'em up all over again.

The fact that we're seeing Milestone again (even though they never truly went away) kinda says what both fans and creatorsreally thought of the line DESPITE your "educated and in depth" reasons why it was garbage.

I'm sure that DC was avalanched with tons of letters from that Million Man March that is the Milestone Fan Club, but the truth is probably closer to what I said above. DC is looking to add a few minorities to its roster of characters. Characters already in existence, despite being uninspired failures, are a safer bet than creating completely new characters. After all, as sad as it is, Milestone might actually have a fan base (All of two people probably!)

There's also the issue of maintaining an active copyright. If a company allows its characters to remain dormant of a certain period of time, that company loses that character's copyright. Often, a company will throw together an appearance for one of their characters just to keep the copyright viable. Despite being the biggest losers, Milestone does represent a property for DC and DC is as notorious for holding onto copyrights as they are for holding onto bad ideas and keeping them alive.

In short, Milestone was a flop and it deserved it.

Not only was Milestone nominated for/won numerous awards...

Comic book awards are truly one of the most MEANINGLESS accomplishments anywhere.

You ever notice how when the Academy Award nominations roll around, a good chunk of them are for movies that no one has ever heard of let alone seen? It's a lot worse in comic books. A LOT WORSE! Consider that successful comics that people have heard about such as Suerman, Batman, X-Men, sell only in the TENS of thousands. These are probably the most well-known comic book characters out there and that's all they can manage to sell... and rarely does the Best Comic Book of the Year award go to Superman. What can be said of these stale old Milestone books? Hardware, at fifty issues, was the longest lasting title running from '93 to about '97. That alone is hardly indicative of a successful run. One must also remember that comics don't "turn bad" and get cancelled in a single issue. Most comics tend to die slow cancerous deaths. Factor in DC's notorious stubbornness to abort bad ideas, most likely magnified by their unwillingness to axe their great experiment with minority characters, and you can probably whittle Milestone's run to about a year and a half of decent issues.

I was going to look up the sales on these books, but I stopped caring. My point was made.

Oh and let's not forget that MANY new comic universes crashed and burned during the late 90s (Dark Horse Legends anyone??) that as of now show no signs of returning EVER.

This means nothing. As I said earlier, DC is infamous for not letting go of a bad idea. Steel is due for another revival any day now. Throw into the mix DC's regularly recurring desire to create more minority super-heroes and there you have the reason why they're digging up these graves and trying to resurrect the corpses of Milestone. This will most likely go nowhere. Even if the characters linger around haunting the place for a year or so, eventually they will go away again. Then in five or ten years, DC will dig 'em up all over again.

The fact that we're seeing Milestone again (even though they never truly went away) kinda says what both fans and creatorsreally thought of the line DESPITE your "educated and in depth" reasons why it was garbage.

I'm sure that DC was avalanched with tons of letters from that Million Man March that is the Milestone Fan Club, but the truth is probably closer to what I said above. DC is looking to add a few minorities to its roster of characters. Characters already in existence, despite being uninspired failures, are a safer bet than creating completely new characters. After all, as sad as it is, Milestone might actually have a fan base (All of two people probably!)

There's also the issue of maintaining an active copyright. If a company allows its characters to remain dormant of a certain period of time, that company loses that character's copyright. Often, a company will throw together an appearance for one of their characters just to keep the copyright viable. Despite being the biggest losers, Milestone does represent a property for DC and DC is as notorious for holding onto copyrights as they are for holding onto bad ideas and keeping them alive.

In short, Milestone was a flop and it deserved it.

Boy where to begin!!!!!!!

First off DC does not nor did it EVER own Milestone. Milestone was created, controlled, and owned by 5 people from day one. Had it been up to DC we would have seen Icon, Static, and Hardware in the DCU long ago. The only reason we are seeing them now is because DC and the owners came to an understanding about how the characters would be used. I really would have liked for yoy to bring up the book sales (maybe you did and saw it was a direct opposite to what you are claiming and decided to drop it).

Although you may disagree I have to give DC credit for looking to make their universe more like the real world. Not every person is white/male/heterosexual/ect nor should every comic universe be. If you are threatened/bothered by that and can only see the color in the suit not the man/woman than there is a problem with you.

You may be on to something with the Million Man March letter campaign seeing as Static's first true appearance in the DCU pretty much sold out, fans have been clamoring for Static (including current DC writing god Geoff Johns!!!) to be in Titans. So yeah the Million Man Milestone March, 2 people, and Geoff Johns, and DC big wigs (doesn't that add up to more than 2??) have been waiting a long time for this to happen and when it did, the 2 ONLY fans were soooooooo overjoyed that they got all (or almost) all of Terror Titans 4 for themselves brillant @loll@.

So let's summerize:

DC does not own Milestone....Dwayne Mcduffie, Denys Cowan, and 3 others do. DC cannot decide to "dust off" a "failed concept" to keep up a copyright they never had. DC has wanted Milestone in the DCU for a long time BECAUSE it WAS successful (those pointless awards you dismissed but then questioned why Batman, Supes, and Spidey don't have say it was not a failure). Being a well known comic book does not make it well written. Fans of the above three can attest to small peaks of stellar runs, deep gorges of god awful runs, and a large stretches of road that is just status quo. Milestone was allowed to come back into the DCU under terms worked out with the owners (READ: NOT DC) and DC that the Milestone characters wouldn't be used in the way you seem to fear they will be.......

You clearly speak from bias towards Milestone as everything you have said since you replied to this topic has been off base, incorrect, and just plain silly. I would respect your point if you knew what you where talking about but you clearly don't. You attempt to compare Milestone to Steel was poor at best and I won't even bother commenting on it. If you don't like that DC is striving to make a universe that can appeal to all people find something else to read. Milestone is back and hopefully they'll stick around and show people like you what great characters they are despite your hang ups!

Te funniest thing is how you went on and on that Milestone sucked and when I pointed out the numerous awards the company had won you back peddled and stated that awards are "meaningless" as whole. You're grasping for straws here and the more you "prove" the more it becomes apparent there are some issues you need to work through (and some facts you need to check out before you try to prove Milestone sucked despite obvious examples why it did not).