New images of M.A.R.S. Troopers & Ferret/Scrap Iron

canprime

If you guys actually expected to get vintage realistic or modern BBI realistic stuff for the movie line, I don't know what to tell you. Hasbro's gonna go all out on the movie line this summer, loading the shelves with spring loaded, action attack sound blasting figures and vehicles no matter what the "true fans" say or want. The movie is going to be one of the summer blockbusters, so they're going to bank on it like all their other movies... and to be honest, for kids, those things work, you may not have liked them when you were a kid cause they weren't around that much, but you give any ol' 4+ year old a toy that is super articulated with realistic features and life like skin tone, and then give him an animated or exaggerated figure with light up features, missile firing action, and I guarantee that kid will throw the other figure down in a heart beat for this one.

Hasbro said they're going to throw us fans a bone or two with classic figures in the movie line.. but like I said, don't expect to be happy with 90% of the stuff that comes out... ;)

SUPER EXTREME ACCURACY FOREVER!!!

I know alot of people hate spring-loaded missiles because it wasn't there in 1982 with straight arms and swivel necks, but let me tell you - when I was a kid, nothing made me happier that taking a figure and knocking him down with a missile from another figure, especially over the side of a table or couch.

I spent Christmas with my family, which includes my five nephews (ages 3 to 9) and sure, the 25th Optimus Prime I got for one of them got some play ... but it was the sound box that kept their interest after a while, while Prime himself just sat in the pile, lonely and neglected.

Tom

Yep.. Tom, I got my son a soundwave animated figure, and my sis-in-law got him a Megatron, and my bro-in-law got him a crappy Bumblebee that didn't even transform and we kind of looked at eachother and was like.. ooh, man, he got "that one" and guess which one my son loves the most.. yep, the animated bumblebee that had punching action, buttons all over that make him punch and laser sounds. He likes Megs too, but he's just too complicated for him, and all he does is ask me to transform him, lol.. and then press the button over and over.

Yep.. Tom, I got my son a soundwave animated figure, and my sis-in-law got him a Megatron, and my bro-in-law got him a crappy Bumblebee that didn't even transform and we kind of looked at eachother and was like.. ooh, man, he got "that one" and guess which one my son loves the most.. yep, the animated bumblebee that had punching action, buttons all over that make him punch and laser sounds. He likes Megs too, but he's just too complicated for him, and all he does is ask me to transform him, lol.. and then press the button over and over.

my son loves to mess with those alternators you sold me, but i'm quick to distract him with other stuff, we know how delicate those transformers are.

what, kids like toys that actually have exciting play features over toys that display and look nice?!? that's crazy! when I was a kid I only wanted to look at my toys. anything that added any resemblance of fun to the toy itself just ruined it for me. oh, wait, or was that just when I was an adult. in my old, stubborn, irrational age I can't differentiate them any longer.

what, kids like toys that actually have exciting play features over toys that display and look nice?!? that's crazy! when I was a kid I only wanted to look at my toys. anything that added any resemblance of fun to the toy itself just ruined it for me. oh, wait, or was that just when I was an adult. in my old, stubborn, irrational age I can't differentiate them any longer.

You know GS, it's funny you say that, because I FORGOT how old and lame my nephews can make me feel. The four year old came into my room during the days prior to Christmas and saw all my Joes, Transformers, MASK, ExoSquads and what not, and had a melt down. We had a conversation, and it went like so:

Uncle Tom, you have some really cool toys!

Thanks!

Let's take them out and play with them!

No, no... these toys aren't for playing.

Then what are they for?

...Looking. < : /

And I felt like such a scumbag for some reason. So, we compromised and took the 25th figures and had a battle. : )

Tom

You know GS, it's funny you say that, because I FORGOT how old and lame my nephews can make me feel. The four year old came into my room during the days prior to Christmas and saw all my Joes, Transformers, MASK, ExoSquads and what not, and had a melt down. We had a conversation, and it went like so:

Uncle Tom, you have some really cool toys!

Thanks!

Let's take them out and play with them!

No, no... these toys aren't for playing.

Then what are they for?

...Looking. < : /

And I felt like such a scumbag for some reason. So, we compromised and took the 25th figures and had a battle. : )

Tom

Well darn it, there go my plans of coming over and playing ExoSquad with you!

Thats why us collectors usually pass on alot of figures. Limited poseability and giant ass weapons, missile launchers. And it also explains why to us, Sound Attack and Action Attack really really sucked

Indeed. There's all this complaining about sound effects and missile launchers and light-up stuff, and the "when I was a kid" comments... but you know what? Those people have forgotten that they aren't kids anymore. Like it or not, believe it or not, these are children's toys, and they are made for kids today, not kids 10 to 20 years ago. Kids today will love the stuff that makes noise, launches missiles, and lights up- if it does those things in some combination, even better!

We don't have to like it, we don't have to buy it, we don't have to 'grow up' and stop collecting. We just have to accept that no matter how successful a line appears to be without them, action features like these are the sort of things that we will inevitably encounter at some point when we collect kid's toys.

scrapiron himself is in a great scheme. it vagualy reminds me of the dtc saw viper but the colors look lig colors as i've always pictured him. that may not be enough for me to get this pack i though becouse i don't really need a ferret especially one with spring loaded gear. However like the other guys that remember their own childhood and missle launchers fondly i think the kids will like.

the movie troopers however look great to me, even if i already have a squad of igs, i'll probably get them.

Thats why us collectors usually pass on alot of figures. Limited poseability and giant ass weapons, missile launchers. And it also explains why to us, Sound Attack and Action Attack really really sucked

Indeed. There's all this complaining about sound effects and missile launchers and light-up stuff, and the "when I was a kid" comments... but you know what? Those people have forgotten that they aren't kids anymore. Like it or not, believe it or not, these are children's toys, and they are made for kids today, not kids 10 to 20 years ago. Kids today will love the stuff that makes noise, launches missiles, and lights up- if it does those things in some combination, even better!

We don't have to like it, we don't have to buy it, we don't have to 'grow up' and stop collecting. We just have to accept that no matter how successful a line appears to be without them, action features like these are the sort of things that we will inevitably encounter at some point when we collect kid's toys.

That didn't save G.I. Joe back in 1994. Joes were chock full of gimmicks then. Or the fact that Targets here got cleaned out of Transformers...except for that Bumblebee.

But your also forgetting that Hasbro IS aware of the collector fanbase and our general dislike for said add-ons.

The Battle Blitz is a good example. It was COMPLETELY centered around gimmicks meant to attract kids iwth the sound attack ports and the ejecting sled monstrosity. It was right up the alley for attracting the kids, or at least that was the intent since it was a pegwarmer, but was a total piece of crap as far as collectors were concerned.

The Thunderwing on the other hand, had just as many gimmicks. It was full of fun, for kids, gimmicks like sounds and firing missiles, but it was asthetically pleasing for the collectors.

Then you had the modified RAH vehicles like the Snow Cat. They included sound attack items, but said items could be removed if so decided.

Simply put, Hasbro has the ability to appeal to both at the same time, but neglecting one in favor of the other is a poor business decision.

Remember, kids don't generally army build. We do.

Well darn it, there go my plans of coming over and playing ExoSquad with you!

Well, we're both adults, so it'd probably be pretty lame anyway. XD "DeLeon wouldn't say that." "What you're talking about happened in season two. Phaeton hasn't even developed auto-mutation syndrome yet."

Tom

I don't think they would retool the Ferret and not release one in the vintage version's color scheme eventually. I can't say I'm really interested in a purple Ferret or Scrap Iron. And yeah.. those M.A.R.S. Troopers look they stepped out of the VvV days. That box looks as if it's been kicked around a Wal-Mart for the past 4 years.

That didn't save G.I. Joe back in 1994. Joes were chock full of gimmicks then. Or the fact that Targets here got cleaned out of Transformers...except for that Bumblebee.

There is debate to this day as to whether action features 'killed' GI Joe, or Kenner did.

http://www.yojoe.com/faq/gifaq.shtml#b4

As for the Targets in your area... that's in your area. Kinda hard to say that's actually representative of anything.

But your also forgetting that Hasbro IS aware of the collector fanbase and our general dislike for said add-ons.

Simply put, Hasbro has the ability to appeal to both at the same time, but neglecting one in favor of the other is a poor business decision.

They're aware of us, yes. That isn't the same as making sure every last item appeals to us. Just because they have 'the ability' doesn't mean they will -or should- exercise it every time. It's been repeatedly said and proven that collectors are the proverbial drop in the sales bucket- a disproportionately loud drop, to be sure, but a drop regardless.

At the end of the day, no matter how many memories we have and armies we build, we are adults buying kid's toys. We can want things to be pleasing to our aesthetics above and beyond what pleases children, but feeling that we are entitled to it is forgetting who comes first.

Just as soon as Hasbro was getting the 25th anniversary line up to par, now this crappy movie l;ine has to come along and ruin it.

This new movie line is garbage.

That ferret also looks like it also has sound/action attack. Very lame.

First they change the GI JOE logo that we all grew up to love.

To put it short, Hasbro just killed for good.

HASBRO, WE WANT VINTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what scares me.

Their attention is going to shift to their new movie line and the Anniversary line will suffer a great deal.

I just wish this new movie would have never come out. The idea of a live action Gi Joe is a scary almost horrifying one. Just my honest opinion.

Their attention is going to shift to their new movie line and the Anniversary line will suffer a great deal.

I just wish this new movie would have never come out. The idea of a live action Gi Joe is a scary almost horrifying one. Just my honest opinion.

I agree 100% with this, Riker.

I could've gone forever without seeing a live action GI Joe Movie. I just don't think it's going to turn out well. Even if it does, it won't be anything like the GI Joe we all know and love. Either way, from what we've seen of the movie figures, I'll be saving quite a bit of money over the next year...which could be a good thing considering the amount of money I spent on the 25th line in 2008 (probably somewhere around $2k). Hasbro will be lucky if they even get $100 dollars out of me this year, if what we've been seeing is gonna be the new standard.

There is debate to this day as to whether action features 'killed' GI Joe, or Kenner did.

http://www.yojoe.com/faq/gifaq.shtml#b4

As for the Targets in your area... that's in your area. Kinda hard to say that's actually representative of anything.

They're aware of us, yes. That isn't the same as making sure every last item appeals to us. Just because they have 'the ability' doesn't mean they will -or should- exercise it every time. It's been repeatedly said and proven that collectors are the proverbial drop in the sales bucket- a disproportionately loud drop, to be sure, but a drop regardless.

At the end of the day, no matter how many memories we have and armies we build, we are adults buying kid's toys. We can want things to be pleasing to our aesthetics above and beyond what pleases children, but feeling that we are entitled to it is forgetting who comes first.

Of course. But as I said in my post above, they CAN do both. They can give the kids what they want (ie. action features) AND give the collectors something too (aesthetic qualties and "hidden" gimmicks). the Thunderwing is, again, a good example.

The Ferret, here, they could have EASILY painted it "classic colors". What reason did they need to have it brown or whatever color that is? The gun could have been the same as the original, but large enough to fire a missile. Look at the B.A.T. that carries the H.E.A.T. Viper's bazooka. That weapon is roughly the same as the original, but fires a missile.

I think part of the problem is not so much the inclusion of gimmicks, but the outlandish way they work them in. The Ferret there looks to be unnessarily large and gaudy.

We all know that Hasbro has problems satisfying collectors and fans, there've been a few exceptions to this rule, but on the whole. its been disappointing to us all. However, i'm interested to see how the Movie line adapts to collectors, since alot were like this 2 years ago when Transformers movie toys were about to hit

Pesatyel,

Let me say this again. I think too many people keep missing this point in their irrational fear about the movie.

Hasbro, to date, has released each vehicle mold in their original colour scheme, while also releasing either new or old repaint colours. Why? To make money off the molds. This is the same thing going on here. The Ferret pictured has a god-awful gimmick, but guess what? It won't be there when Hasbro releases the Ferret for the 25th line in original colours.

Everyone please stop and think. Yes the 25th line is going to be put aside for the movie. Yes there will be some homages in the movie line, but they will be rare (by my guess). However, just like Transformers, the 25th line will return after the movie. So please, everyone stop being so paranoid. Relax, enjoy the break your wallet will get (for those not buying) and just be patient (I know, that word is pretty foreign to us collectors). @loll@

Pesatyel,

Let me say this again. I think too many people keep missing this point in their irrational fear about the movie.

Hasbro, to date, has released each vehicle mold in their original colour scheme, while also releasing either new or old repaint colours. Why? To make money off the molds. This is the same thing going on here. The Ferret pictured has a god-awful gimmick, but guess what? It won't be there when Hasbro releases the Ferret for the 25th line in original colours.

Everyone please stop and think. Yes the 25th line is going to be put aside for the movie. Yes there will be some homages in the movie line, but they will be rare (by my guess). However, just like Transformers, the 25th line will return after the movie. So please, everyone stop being so paranoid. Relax, enjoy the break your wallet will get (for those not buying) and just be patient (I know, that word is pretty foreign to us collectors). @loll@

Point of fact, did I say ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT THE MOVIE? No. I did not. The discussion was on KIDS VS COLLECTORS (to put it simply) . So DON'T put words in my mouth.

If some of you happen to peruse other GI Joe news sources when you're not on TNI, you might have noticed that a picture of Breaker with his vest (in the same style that Lift-Ticket and Airborne have vests) has surfaced, and he looks alot better. A tad bit big maybe, but better than his dive suit.

I think what we all need to remember is this... while the movie will be bad for us, the informed and concerned fan, it will be great for the brand. Why? It'll bring in more people, which means more money, which means Hasbro will throw more effort into a line they're already doing alot with.

Remember, even bad stuff has it's benefits!

Tom

If some of you happen to peruse other GI Joe news sources when you're not on TNI, you might have noticed that a picture of Breaker with his vest (in the same style that Lift-Ticket and Airborne have vests) has surfaced, and he looks alot better. A tad bit big maybe, but better than his dive suit.

I think what we all need to remember is this... while the movie will be bad for us, the informed and concerned fan, it will be great for the brand. Why? It'll bring in more people, which means more money, which means Hasbro will throw more effort into a line they're already doing alot with.

Remember, even bad stuff has it's benefits!

Tom

And I think a lot more of us than will admit right now will be happy to acquire movie related stuff. I myself am not holding any grudges or misgivings until I SEE the product in hand.

If you guys actually expected to get vintage realistic or modern BBI realistic stuff for the movie line, I don't know what to tell you. Hasbro's gonna go all out on the movie line this summer, loading the shelves with spring loaded, action attack sound blasting figures and vehicles no matter what the "true fans" say or want. The movie is going to be one of the summer blockbusters, so they're going to bank on it like all their other movies... and to be honest, for kids, those things work, you may not have liked them when you were a kid cause they weren't around that much, but you give any ol' 4+ year old a toy that is super articulated with realistic features and life like skin tone, and then give him an animated or exaggerated figure with light up features, missile firing action, and I guarantee that kid will throw the other figure down in a heart beat for this one.

Hasbro said they're going to throw us fans a bone or two with classic figures in the movie line.. but like I said, don't expect to be happy with 90% of the stuff that comes out... ;)

I applaud you sir!!

This needs to be said over and over again to get people to understand. However it will most likely end up being just like the Transformers fans when the movie came out. Continual complaining by a hardcore group.

I second the applause.

Gotta admit, I with you on this one. We are not looking at it from a child's point of view. That's who its really meant for. Pick and choose Brothers and sisters! Pick and choose!! @loll@