Ask and answer a question game for 80's Joe toys

RedKat

A: none, all were seen in 90 and 91

Q: Where was Slaughter born?

A. South Carolina

Q. Which vehicle did character Tollbooth drive?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Who were the 3 non-American Joes? (Trick question maybe).

I'm going to make an assumption here that the answer above was for that question.

Backstop ( Persuader driver) was born in Montreal Quebec and he was a 1987 figure.

I'm going to make an assumption here that the answer above was for that question.

Backstop ( Persuader driver) was born in Montreal Quebec and he was a 1987 figure.

Additionally, Budo (1988) is listed as being from Sacremento, CA, yet when he was made part of the International Action Force (1993), it's quite clearly stated "Japan has sent BUDO, one of it's greatest samurai warriors...", which I think at least puts his citizenship up for debate.

Storm Shadow's birthplace may also be Japan. It's not listed on his filecard until the Ninja Force version (1992), and it says it's St. Louis, MO. However, this would seem to contradict the Marvel comics, which do all but state that he was born and raised in Japan, with some strong hints that his US citizenship papers were forgeries. The Tommy Arashikage filecard (2005) places his birthplace as Fresno, CA, which probably came from the comics (Marvel #26), where Stalker calls him a "Japanese-American kid out of Fresno", although that line doesn't necessarily indicate his place of birth, only the place he enlisted from. The mail-away (2005) says it's San Fransisco, CA- a bit easier to reconcile with his comics history, but still not really jibing with it all that well. The mail-away filecard notably says that Hard Master is Storm Shadow's father, when in fact HM is his uncle, throwing the entire thing into question.

A. South Carolina

A: Toss n Cross Bridgelayer

Q: According to Bazooka's Jersey, what football team is he supporting? and what SHOULD he be wearing given his birthplace?

Additionally, Budo (1988) is listed as being from Sacremento, CA, yet when he was made part of the International Action Force (1993), it's quite clearly stated "Japan has sent BUDO, one of it's greatest samurai warriors...", which I think at least puts his citizenship up for debate.

Storm Shadow's birthplace may also be Japan. It's not listed on his filecard until the Ninja Force version (1992), and it says it's St. Louis, MO. However, this would seem to contradict the Marvel comics, which do all but state that he was born and raised in Japan, with some strong hints that his US citizenship papers were forgeries. The Tommy Arashikage filecard (2005) places his birthplace as Fresno, CA, which probably came from the comics (Marvel #26), where Stalker calls him a "Japanese-American kid out of Fresno", although that line doesn't necessarily indicate his place of birth, only the place he enlisted from. The mail-away (2005) says it's San Fransisco, CA- a bit easier to reconcile with his comics history, but still not really jibing with it all that well. The mail-away filecard notably says that Hard Master is Storm Shadow's father, when in fact HM is his uncle, throwing the entire thing into question.

Backstop is correct. The others were Red Dog (from Samoa) and Taurus (from Turkey) of the Renegades who were not "technically" members of the team, which is why I referred to it as a trick question.

I figured Storm Shadow had too ambigious an origin to follow with this question, so I went strictly with the filecards.

A. South Carolina

A: Toss n Cross Bridgelayer

Q: According to Bazooka's Jersey, what football team is he supporting? and what SHOULD he be wearing given his birthplace?

I don't know squat about football, so I'll have to wait till someone else answers lol.

A. Buffalo Bills? And he should be a Vikings fan, as he's from Minnesota.

Q. Which Joe is described on his filecard as being so still, when sighting in on a target, that birds perch on top of his helmet?

A: Dodger- and the reason WHY he survived was that he was getting a Sonic Fighters figure!

Q: Which Joe was plagued with coloring mistakes in the comic book, effectively changing his race?

a. i wont to say airborn, but im not too sure

A: Dodger- and the reason WHY he survived was that he was getting a Sonic Fighters figure!

Q: Which Joe was plagued with coloring mistakes in the comic book, effectively changing his race?

Im a REAL big Marvel run guy, and I dont know what the hell your referring to. It could have very well been Gung Ho, as I think that the figure appeared in the comic before the fig was released..

I dunno on that one, but the question does seem familiar..i MAY end up kickin my own ass after hearing the answer

A: Wasn't this an early on kind of thing. If I remember correctly Road Block looked a bit white in some of the panels! I mean he could pass for any caucasian that appeared in the comic!!! Ha ha. If there's another, then you got me, but definitely Roadblock did a Michael in the comic!!!

My question:

From the comic, how many Joes did Zartan inpersonate the time he infiltrated the Pitt 2?? If your good, and without looking at the issue, put them in order!! Include the Joe he came in as!!!

A: Hawk V1

Q: Which mailaway had the filecard altered so that it was different to the actual carded version?

For some reason, I want to say Duke, but I'm not sure if that's right...

Q: Which mailaway had the filecard altered so that it was different to the actual carded version?

no its hawk, duke didnt come till later

A: Wasn't this an early on kind of thing. If I remember correctly Road Block looked a bit white in some of the panels! I mean he could pass for any caucasian that appeared in the comic!!! Ha ha. If there's another, then you got me, but definitely Roadblock did a Michael in the comic!!!

My question:

From the comic, how many Joes did Zartan inpersonate the time he infiltrated the Pitt 2?? If your good, and without looking at the issue, put them in order!! Include the Joe he came in as!!!

1ripcord

2snake eyes

3tripwire

4doc

5hawk

6gunho

Q.when Hasbro was ready to make a gijoe train set what company was going to do the production on the toy before it hit retail but never came too pass

Geez, I didn't realize I was putting up a stumper. The answer was (intended to be) Payload. Let me run down the chronology of his first few appearances for you guys...

In issue 64 of the Marvel comic, he was quite clearly black.

payload1.jpg

In the very next issue, the art indicates he was supposed to be black again (the hair, notably, is drawn and colored as a black man's, rather than the style and color of the figure), but he's colored to be white.

payload3.jpg

In Special Missions #28, he's black again!

payload2.jpg

When Payload next showed up in issue 109, not only is he white, but suddenly his hair is colored and styled (more or less) like the figure.

payload4.jpg

His appearance was consistent with this through the rest of his appearances. Well, he lost his mustache, but that coincided with him being in his Star Brigade gear to promote that figure, so technically, that's accurate. To my knowledge, at no point during the development of the figure was he going to be black, so where this error comes from is a complete mystery.

Q.when Hasbro was ready to make a gijoe train set what company was going to do the production on the toy before it hit retail but never came too pass

A:Lionel.

Q: Referring to the comics, and the FIRST appearance of Joesph Colton--the character throughout that story is technically an "imposter"--why is this so?

Bonus Q: Is Marvel comics the first publisher to publish GIJOE comics based on the toys?

A:Lionel.

Q: Referring to the comics, and the FIRST appearance of Joesph Colton--the character throughout that story is technically an "imposter"--why is this so?

Bonus Q: Is Marvel comics the first publisher to publish GIJOE comics based on the toys?

A, i think it was to cover up what happen in the pass, this is all i recall

A,B, marvel was not the only one, Publisher: Ziff-Davis Publishing Co. 1951. they did gijoe, but in 1964 thats when the toys came out,

Q: Which G.I. Joe was renamed "Digger" for the Australian release of the original Marvel comics?

A, i think it was to cover up what happen in the pass, this is all i recall

Nope, Joe Colton was missing his trademark scar! Check the comic!

A,B, marvel was not the only one, Publisher: Ziff-Davis Publishing Co. 1951. they did gijoe, but in 1964 thats when the toys came out,

Ziff-Davis published a short-lived comic series character named GIJOE, but the book was not based on the toys.

DC Comics, in their DC Comics Showcase title, published two issues that were tied into the 1964 12" GIJOE in mostly name and some vague framing sequences at the start and end of the books. The actual stories were file war comics added as filler to pad out the two issues, and had NOTHING to do with the toys themselves.

Still on the comics...

Q: Marvel Comics GIJOE: A Real American Hero #1 has one prominent distinction as a comic book, what is it?

no its hawk, duke didnt come till later

Nope...Major Bludd

2 different poems on the filecards

Q: Marvel Comics GIJOE: A Real American Hero #1 has one prominent distinction as a comic book, what is it?

A: I believe it was the first comic book to be promoted using television commercials (which were REALLY intended to sell the toys, just like the comic itself, but that might be splitting hairs...).

I'll throw out a softball this time to make up for my earlier toughie:

Q: Which GI Joe Extreme character had to requisition for a name change, and why?