Loose Legs

Neutron

My Dusty has very loose legs. My Mutt has the same problem.

I'm looking right at Dusty's crotch. There's a metal pin that pierces the crotch piece and connects both legs to the main trunk of the body. It's this joint that is very loose and the legs dangle. Is this just a flaw in the design? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

I'm looking right at Dusty's crotch. There's a metal pin that pierces the crotch piece and connects both legs to the main trunk of the body. It's this joint that is very loose and the legs dangle. Is this just a flaw in the design? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

what you need to do is replace the o rings, there's a screw in the back take that out and you'll see a hook and a o ring there you replace the o ring, and if your legs are loose unscrew the legs and clean it , then your joe will be like the day you first opened it .

Thanks.

what you need to do is replace the o rings, there's a screw in the back take that out and you'll see a hook and a o ring there you replace the o ring, and if your legs are loose unscrew the legs and clean it , then your joe will be like the day you first opened it .

This is exactly what's wrong.

I had a bunch of GI Joes that I replaced the O-rings in, and you'd be surprised what a new O-Ring can do for a figure...e.specially on many of the figures that were pre-1985...before they had the swivel heads (and some other figures that have smaller chest pieces). In many of these cases, the balls for the shoulder joint and neck press against the O-Ring, and wear it down, so replacing the O-Ring will actually tighten up the neck, shoulders, hips and waste.

I had a straight-arm 1982 Snake Eyes who was like a boned fish...he was all kinds of loose and floppy. I replaced the O-Ring in him and now he's just like new. :)

You can get new O-Rings real cheap from http://www.smalljoes.com/supplies-oring.shtml. Or, just go to a hardware store and pick them up from the plumbing section.

What I do is take the little clear plastic.....umm.... tie things. The little clear circular things that wrap around the hand holding the gun in place? They are also in the back of the comic paacks holding the figure in place? Do you know what I'm talking about? I just wrap those around the leg and it works perfectly. The leg retains perfect movement but is very tight. Make sure you use the tiny one's though.

If you took those legs apart and lost or tossed out the white "caps" that were on the metal balls that attach them to the legs, then there is not much you can do. You can try a filler, but I've had this happen with little success of fixing it. Sorry.

Thanks.

There's a couple of things you can do if the hip joint is loose and they all work well. There's a little white friction plug in the hip joint that's supposed to keep the joint tight, sometimes it's missing and sometimes it just doesn't work. Some folks say that if you put a drop of super glue on the "ball end" of the metal tee and then move the leg continuously for a minute or so you'll get a tight joint, but that sounds risky to me, for obvious reasons. What I do is wrap a bit of teflon tape (aka "pipe thread seal tape"-- a non adhesive tape for use on threaded pipe joints) on that "ball" and then reassemble. It stiffens it all up nicely and isn't permanent. You can also use a little electrical or duct tape.

If the tee in the waist is loose (which I've seen) all you can do is take the legs off, line the tee up where you want it and superglue it in place.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

This is exactly what's wrong.

I had a bunch of GI Joes that I replaced the O-rings in, and you'd be surprised what a new O-Ring can do for a figure...e.specially on many of the figures that were pre-1985...before they had the swivel heads (and some other figures that have smaller chest pieces). In many of these cases, the balls for the shoulder joint and neck press against the O-Ring, and wear it down, so replacing the O-Ring will actually tighten up the neck, shoulders, hips and waste.

I had a straight-arm 1982 Snake Eyes who was like a boned fish...he was all kinds of loose and floppy. I replaced the O-Ring in him and now he's just like new. :)

You can get new O-Rings real cheap from http://www.smalljoes.com/supplies-oring.shtml. Or, just go to a hardware store and pick them up from the plumbing section.

dude you should have said 25th joes,

now on to my buddy hobobellew i never had a problem with switching o-rings, on my 82 rockenroll & breaker, i was like forever fixing half of my collection back in later 90s,

What I do is take the little clear plastic.....umm.... tie things. The little clear circular things that wrap around the hand holding the gun in place? They are also in the back of the comic paacks holding the figure in place? Do you know what I'm talking about? I just wrap those around the leg and it works perfectly. The leg retains perfect movement but is very tight. Make sure you use the tiny one's though.

This worked perfectly! Thank you. Now I'm never going to toss away those little rubber bands again.

I'd considered using airplane glue but that usually globs up the crotch and then doesn't look right.