Are there any Sgt. Slaughter fans in the house?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

The Stallone thing was over Hasbro vs. Remco and Remco won out with the Rambo line, However, that wou;d have been cool...Rambo and Rocky as Joes.

Rocky as an indestructable GI Joe? I can't imagine him hanging off of Serpentor's ship. Maybe taking out a few Cobras at the same time, but Rocky didn't have the hardcore nature of Slaughter. Plus, he would suck as a drill instructor. Slaughter was a good choice, but seeing Rambo/Rocky/Tango as Joes would have been quite interesting.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading that Slaughter was intended to be a counterpoint to Big Van Vader, who they were supposedly negotiating with to be a COBRA. That fell through, but Slaughter was signed up anyway. No idea if there's any truth to that or not (as I read it in a not-exactly-for-smarts wrestling mag when I was younger, best as I can recall).

I doubt that , since Slaughter became a Joe in 1985 , & Leon White didnt start doing the Vader gimmick until the late eighties & wasnt even known to most American wrestling fans until the early 1990's .

I remember reading that Slaughter was intended to be a counterpoint to Big Van Vader, who they were supposedly negotiating with to be a COBRA. That fell through, but Slaughter was signed up anyway. No idea if there's any truth to that or not (as I read it in a not-exactly-for-smarts wrestling mag when I was younger, best as I can recall).

I doubt that , since Slaughter became a Joe in 1985 , & Leon White didnt start doing the Vader gimmick until the late eighties & wasnt even known to most American wrestling fans until the early 1990's .

Eh, it was in one of the Apter wrestling mags as I recall. Always gotta take it with a grain of salt. :)

I would buy a Big Van Vader at 3 3/4" scale in a heartbeat.

Eh, it was in one of the Apter wrestling mags as I recall. Always gotta take it with a grain of salt. :)

How cool would it have been if Hasbro would have made their WWF line in the same style/scale as the Joe line , instead of the lumps of plastic crap they made when they held the license @firedevil@ ?

How cool would it have been if Hasbro would have made their WWF line in the same style/scale as the Joe line , instead of the lumps of plastic crap they made when they held the license @firedevil@ ?

It would have been fantastic. I never understood that WWF line back in the day. I would have much preferred articulation over their crappy 'action features'.

First of all, I don't want the mob after me just because my name is wwfhasbro (and alot of people are pissed that Sgt. Slaughter is tied up with a WWE liscence). While I do love to collect the WWF Hasbro figures, GI Joe figures are probably my most cherished from my childhood.

Anyway, props for bringing up the Renegades and the Marauders. I almost crapped myself when I got those guys as a kid. They were some of my favorite Joe's. Especially Mace (I hope I'm remembering that right?)...with his awesome flat-top.

First of all, I don't want the mob after me just because my name is wwfhasbro (and alot of people are pissed that Sgt. Slaughter is tied up with a WWE liscence). While I do love to collect the WWF Hasbro figures, GI Joe figures are probably my most cherished from my childhood.

Anyway, props for bringing up the Renegades and the Marauders. I almost crapped myself when I got those guys as a kid. They were some of my favorite Joe's. Especially Mace (I hope I'm remembering that right?)...with his awesome flat-top.

There's no lynch mob for you here that I know of, so all is good. Welcome to TNI, btw. :)

No worries here. Why should you be blamed for a silly licensing issue?

And Hasbro could still release both. The Renegades filecards don't have any mention of Slaughter in them (they're just explained as Rogue Joes who are licensed but only hauled out for those 'special' missions that require an ex-Viper, a violent football star, and a Turkish circus acrobat) and the Marauders could just be renamed and the Slaughter figure there replaced or sold as a special one-off or not. Heck, even the Triple-T Tank could be released with someone else in the driver's seat. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would work. Or Sgt. Savage could be brought to the line to fill in for Slaughter in this case.

welcome to TNI. Great to see another Hasbro WWF fan around here. I recently found all mine out again from th loft, althogh most have seen better days.

Anyway, the Sarge needs an update, it could be a simple headswap of GH Head on Roadblock's body with some painting

Ooh, I would hope he'd get new hands though...

The Stallone thing was over Hasbro vs. Remco and Remco won out with the Rambo line, However, that wou;d have been cool...Rambo and Rocky as Joes.

Rocky as an indestructable GI Joe? I can't imagine him hanging off of Serpentor's ship. Maybe taking out a few Cobras at the same time, but Rocky didn't have the hardcore nature of Slaughter. Plus, he would suck as a drill instructor. Slaughter was a good choice, but seeing Rambo/Rocky/Tango as Joes would have been quite interesting.

I doubt that Rocky would have been a DI. Maybe a hand-to-hand instructor, but not more than that. Unlike Slaughter and even Fridge, he had a nemesis in Big Boa. That doesn't sound like a guy they were going to put in the leader spot.

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/unproduced/rockybalboa.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/unproduced/rocky.shtml

I doubt that Rocky would have been a DI. Maybe a hand-to-hand instructor, but not more than that. Unlike Slaughter and even Fridge, he had a nemesis in Big Boa. That doesn't sound like a guy they were going to put in the leader spot.

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/unproduced/rockybalboa.shtml

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/unproduced/rocky.shtml

Thank goodness. Rocky would have been cool, but that bo staff with the boxing gloves...I'm not sure if it's cool or would have been silly. It's like the Fridge's weapon: it seems really goofy but ends up being really awesome and cool. Too bad they didn't get Mr. T or Dolph so Big Boa could really have been Clubber Lang or Drago. Or a B.A. Baracus, which would have been AWESOME.

Still, nice to know Big Boa has such a rich history. I remember being fond of him. Truly an awesome Cobra figure, right down to his awesome boxing gloves.

NO THANKS...

Sgt Slaughter was lame

Not to mention a bit of a 'deus ex machina', as I recall. If there's a problem the Joes can't solve in 2 minutes, send the Sarge in... Kinda renders the Joes a little.... impotent, no?

I will admit that both of these interpretations are accurate from a certain point of veiw, I just think that Sgt. Slaughter was a lot of FUN!! @jump# I mean for me it boils down to just having fun with your Joes, and when ever you are in a story plot that really has Cobra kicking G.I. Joe's a$$, and you want a entertaining way out of trouble. Just pull out the ultimate nullifier: Sgt. Slaughter. #US1#

That's why I like him so much, .... and the fact that you can NOT have him in 25th Annv. attire. @grumpy@

NO THANKS...

Sgt Slaughter was lame

Not to mention a bit of a 'deus ex machina', as I recall. If there's a problem the Joes can't solve in 2 minutes, send the Sarge in... Kinda renders the Joes a little.... impotent, no?

I will admit that both of these interpretations are accurate from a certain point of veiw, I just think that Sgt. Slaughter was a lot of FUN!! @jump# I mean for me it boils down to just having fun with your Joes, and when ever you are in a story plot that really has Cobra kicking G.I. Joe's a$$, and you want a entertaining way out of trouble. Just pull out the ultimate nullifier: Sgt. Slaughter. #US1#

That's why I like him so much, .... and the fact that you can NOT have him in 25th Annv. attire. @grumpy@

Of course, it was fun!

The point of view you are talking about is realism. That can not be applied to cartoons or comics. And as such, the Sarge is important to you. I get that. I appreciate that. Sarge and his Marauders should be a small, close-knit sect, like it was in the beginning, and leave it at that. By that, I mean, continue with the chronological release of the characters, in which time, Sarge and his team will come. I would just like to see the regular blokes make it there first. (like Zap). Now, I've had a few black&tans, so my train of thought may be a tad of course, but I think we can have both, in time. As soon as we get past this potentially budding movie fiasco or not.

NO THANKS...

Sgt Slaughter was lame

Of course, it was fun!

The point of view you are talking about is realism. That can not be applied to cartoons or comics. And as such, the Sarge is important to you. I get that. I appreciate that. Sarge and his Marauders should be a small, close-knit sect, like it was in the beginning, and leave it at that. By that, I mean, continue with the chronological release of the characters, in which time, Sarge and his team will come. I would just like to see the regular blokes make it there first. (like Zap). Now, I've had a few black&tans, so my train of thought may be a tad of course, but I think we can have both, in time. As soon as we get past this potentially budding movie fiasco or not.

O.K. :mellow: Cool. :) I think we understand on another.

The Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures are just a tad shorter, but not by much. I think their pouncing stance makes them look shorter, but their muscle mass makes them bigger. I would still be optimistic for a Sgt. Slaughter in - Series #6. I just hope they know that both Joe and Wrestiling fans are after this figure, and put out plenty. They could make a lot of money off of money by putting out an "over abundance" of Sgt. Slaughter. IMO.

Maybe I'm nigh-eve, but if Sgt. Slaughter is a Hasbro property when it comes to cartoons on DVD, then where does likeness start and stop?

Ok, we have the cartoon, but we cannot make a Sgt. S. Figure? Yes I know Jaks Pacific and the WWF or what ever has the "rights", but I guess Hasbro can keep the rights to the cartoon and nothing more.