Are there any Sgt. Slaughter fans in the house?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care ho w cheesy it is, I WANT a SGT SLaughter! I would Looove to see a Rocky too. Im from the 80's, man, and lemme tell you, Being in elementry school when Rocky fought Drago was a pinnacle moment in the 80's childhoods. Same thing as Slaughter, it WAS Cheesy, but I loved the sarge fig. My Favorite Sgt Slaughter was packaged with the Warthoh. NOW THAT was a Slaughter figure.

As for The Elite NOT needing a DI??!? are you kiddin? The elite need to train like everyone else and there MUST be someone tougher than the meanest to get them motivated..

As for The Elite NOT needing a DI??!? are you kiddin? The elite need to train like everyone else and there MUST be someone tougher than the meanest to get them motivated..

Not really. The elite should be perfectly good at motivating themselves. In the real world environment, unless you become a DI yourself, you'll usually never deal with another Drill Instructor again once you're done with your initial entry training, though instructors at various other schools and courses often serve a similar purpose. G.I. Joe isn't a school, though. Slaughter being assigned to them is like sending a drill sergeant to "train" the Green Berets or Delta. Redundant and bordering on insulting to the professionalism and competence of the unit members already there. Many units have "training NCOs" but they don't (usually) treat the people they're training like DI's treat recruits.

(Note this wouldn't be the same thing as assigning someone with DI experience to the unit after their time as a DI was done...but in those cases the guys just fill in whatever other role they were assigned to fill...they don't become "drill sergeants" for the unit).

All that having been said, Slaughter was fine for the 'toon, where things were lighter and cheesier, and the Joes (quite frankly) weren't quite as competent or realistic as their comic counterparts, but there was a reason Slaughter wasn't used much in the comics...and when he was it was rarely in a "Drill Sergeant" role. I don't begrudge the people that like Slaughter and I think he's a notable part of the Joe mythos and would certainly be worthy of inclusion in the 25A line, but in any sort of semi-realistic environment it really doesn't make sense for a group like the Joe team to have a DI lording it over them.

PS: Since the other thread got locked: Rumor has it that a 25A scale Slaughter is coming, but from Jakks' Pacific in the Build-n-Brawl line rather than from Hasbro in the G.I. Joe line. Probably about as close as we're gonna get to a 25A Slaughter anytime soon.

QUOTE (Jmacq1 @ Today, 12:57 PM

) post_snapback.gif

I'm hearing that a Sgt. Slaughter figure is planned for the WWE Build-n-Brawl line, supposedly in the next wave or two. I don't really follow the wrestling figures, so I don't know for sure. However, despite being from a separate line, the Build-n-Brawl figures scale pretty nicely with 25A Joes....

i would love to see this happen

I agree that the GI Joe wouldn't need a DI, but I could still see Sgt. Slaughter fitting in with the team. The Joe team consists of people who excel in their particular fields, and the Sarge being a wrestler would make him a great fighter.

My question is, which version would you like to see done in the 25A line? The mail away wrestling tights version, the Triple T driver version, or Warthog Driver version? While the first 2 have the DI look and feel to them, I have always prefered the one that came with the Warthog. He didn't look like a wrestler, but rather an actual soldier, allowing him to really fit into the military feel of the unit.

I agree that the GI Joe wouldn't need a DI, but I could still see Sgt. Slaughter fitting in with the team. The Joe team consists of people who excel in their particular fields, and the Sarge being a wrestler would make him a great fighter.

Seriously? @lol@ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9IcyXuwt1I I love entertainment as much as the next guy, and I love Sarge, but using pro wrestling moves in an honest to goodness fight is an invitation to get your butt whipped.

My question is, which version would you like to see done in the 25A line? The mail away wrestling tights version, the Triple T driver version, or Warthog Driver version? While the first 2 have the DI look and feel to them, I have always prefered the one that came with the Warthog. He didn't look like a wrestler, but rather an actual soldier, allowing him to really fit into the military feel of the unit.

Triple T version fo' sho' please!

All that having been said, Slaughter was fine for the 'toon, where things were lighter and cheesier, and the Joes (quite frankly) weren't quite as competent or realistic as their comic counterparts, but there was a reason Slaughter wasn't used much in the comics...and when he was it was rarely in a "Drill Sergeant" role. I don't begrudge the people that like Slaughter and I think he's a notable part of the Joe mythos and would certainly be worthy of inclusion in the 25A line, but in any sort of semi-realistic environment it really doesn't make sense for a group like the Joe team to have a DI lording it over them.

True... of course, in the Sunbow cartoon, the "Elite Special Missions Force" consisted of guys like a sailor who was picked up in a bar full of the enemy, a shirtless/barefoot stuntman who was wandering around a warzone in the arctic, and a Green Beret who apparently got his rank out of a Cracker Jack box.

Maybe they DO need a drill instructor after all... @hmmm@

PS: Since the other thread got locked: Rumor has it that a 25A scale Slaughter is coming, but from Jakks' Pacific in the Build-n-Brawl line rather than from Hasbro in the G.I. Joe line. Probably about as close as we're gonna get to a 25A Slaughter anytime soon.

We've been talking about that since page 2 of this thread.

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?s=&am...&p=16524867

Not really. The elite should be perfectly good at motivating themselves.

Heheh, watch any documentary series about the NAVY Seals and their Hell Week training periods...and you'll see just what kind of motivation the DI's provide.

The Greenshirts need somebody special to turn them from soldiers into Joes,and that somebody is Sgt. Slaughter.

It was announced today that Sgt. Slaughter was released from the WWE .

But will we still get his FIGURE?!

Important questions like this MUST be answered!

Actually... I wonder if he owns his ring name. He could easily license it to Hasbro if he does...

• 2 weeks later...
When I was little, I didn't even realize that Slaughter was a wrestler first, and a GI Joe second. I always thought he was first, and foremost, a GI Joe character, and that they had a found a real person, who looked like the character, to wrestle in the WWF. @lol@

Thats what I thought too. I was shocked when i was flipping through the channels 1 summer in 1988 to see him on AWA.

I did read a somewhat unconfirmed rumour that it was Hulk Hogan and not Slaughter that was gfonna be the GI Joe/WWF spokesman, due to his patriotism and massive popularity. Dunno how true that is though.

He got his own toys.

I thought that they went with Slaughter because Stallone/Rocky turned them down.

I remember reading that Slaughter was intended to be a counterpoint to Big Van Vader, who they were supposedly negotiating with to be a COBRA. That fell through, but Slaughter was signed up anyway. No idea if there's any truth to that or not (as I read it in a not-exactly-for-smarts wrestling mag when I was younger, best as I can recall).

In Bret Hart's book, he says that Slaughter was fired by Vince McMahon over this deal, which he supposedly made on his own at a larger percentage of royalties than the other WWF guys were getting under their deals at the time. *edit* Given the timelines, that seems to be a false recollection by Bret.

Slaughter himself said , he was fired from WWE in 84/85(i forgot which yr it was) for wanting to take an extended vacation and Vince didnt give it to him. Thats why he signed w/ AWA for a couple years until it folded and thats why he came back to WWE in mid 90, Vince was gona make him a number 1 heel/world champion for more money.

It was announced today that Sgt. Slaughter was released from the WWE .

they have?!?! well how will he survive out in the wild??? he has lived in captivity for sooo long!!!!!!

oh wait..you said WWE..not WWF(the one dealing with animals now LOL) i always get those two confused :P

i REALLY want a sgt slaughter fig. he means alot to my joe memories and meant alot to me as a kid. i got to meet him when i was 7 and it was like meeting real, live g i joe member!!! made me thing all the joes were REAL people. he was better than santa clause!!!

• 3 weeks later...