Are there any Sgt. Slaughter fans in the house?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but if the club does that, then won't they get into legal brew-ha-ha with the lawyers of Mr. McMahon?

The Collector's Club has already done a Slaughter figure (two years ago, I believe). There is a big difference between a small company doing a limited run for a dedicated audience, and a rival toy company putting out a competing figure in a similar scale on toy shelves around the country.

First off, it may not be profitable for Hasbro to work out the rights with WWE. If Hasbro doesnt want to bother, that's their right. Also, in reality, the WWE can sue Hasbro for millions, because Hasbro has millions to be sued for. Fun Publications, the Collector's Club, master Collector, et al... there's no money there. Nothing to sue for.

Ironically The Rock is also coming in Build-n-Brawl figure form.
Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures - Series #6

CREATE AN ELIMINATION CHAMBER W/ WAVE #6

Rey Mysterio

Zack Ryder

Kurt Hawkins

Kofi Kingston

Santino Marella

Sgt Slaughter

Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures - Series #7

CREATE PIPER'S PIT WITH WAVE #7

Bret Hart

Roddy Piper

Matt Hardy

Rey Mysterio

Undertaker

Mark Henry

Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures - Series #8

CREATE A CAGE WITH WAVE #8

Shawn Michaels

LOD Hawk

LOD Animal

Santino w/ Unibrow

Big Show

Jericho

Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures - Series #9

CREATE A STAGE WITH WAVE #9 (RAW)

Shad

JTG

John Cena

Evan Bourne

Ted Dibiase Jr

The Rock

Build'N Brawlers 3 3/4'' Figures - Series #10

CREATE A RING WITH WAVE #10

Jeff Hardy

Eddie Guerrero

Festus

Jesse

R-Truth

Dynamite Kid

I am completely in the dark about this line. What is it, and how can I get it? :huh: I mean what is the full title of this product? There are too many listings for wrestling figures. :wacko:

They're called Build N Brawl. The articulation is kind of like a mix between GI Joe and Marvel Legends. Deuce and Domino from the line would be ok to use for blank bases as they have plain jeans and t-shirts. However, these guys do look small next to 25th Joes. I have HHH and Undertaker from the line and my comic pack Firefly towers over them.

and to follow up on trying to dance around the copyright, like a different name, provide the part pre-painted so anyone could build thier own, I got this from AFI's round 4 '08 Q&A:

" Q2. Since Sgt. Slaughter is apparently impossible, would Hasbro be interested in making Super Cop? He was a Funskool character and since Hasbro has been re-making international figures in the 25th line a Super Cop figure would be a great way to get the Sarge without getting the Sarge. Super Cop would be a very niche product that may not appeal to our broader base.

A2. The brand feels they should either do a Sarge figure correctly or not do it at all. "

Link here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=1441

I think everyone is missing something very, very important here.

Does this mean we won't get a Super Cop?!

I'm being completely serious here. I loved that figure, had him and his 'Rescue Squad' of repaint vehicles, and I regret getting rid of them. They will be mine again!

We need a 25th Iceberg anyway. At that point, I'll give them a pass on Slaughter if they just make a generic 'smokey' head and put him out as a classic international figure. Heck, if they just make Iceberg, I'll do the rest myself.

and to follow up on trying to dance around the copyright, like a different name, provide the part pre-painted so anyone could build thier own, I got this from AFI's round 4 '08 Q&A:

" Q2. Since Sgt. Slaughter is apparently impossible, would Hasbro be interested in making Super Cop? He was a Funskool character and since Hasbro has been re-making international figures in the 25th line a Super Cop figure would be a great way to get the Sarge without getting the Sarge. Super Cop would be a very niche product that may not appeal to our broader base.

A2. The brand feels they should either do a Sarge figure correctly or not do it at all. "

Link here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=1441

I think everyone is missing something very, very important here.

Does this mean we won't get a Super Cop?!

I'm being completely serious here. I loved that figure, had him and his 'Rescue Squad' of repaint vehicles, and I regret getting rid of them. They will be mine again!

We need a 25th Iceberg anyway. At that point, I'll give them a pass on Slaughter if they just make a generic 'smokey' head and put him out as a classic international figure. Heck, if they just make Iceberg, I'll do the rest myself.

Well, nothing's impossible, but I would take it as a 'no' for Super Cop. :(

while i liked his 'tude, the fact that he was a wrestler hurt him for me. If you look just at the toy and never new he was a wrestler he is pretty cool, but there are several joes that are similar that fit the bill for me. Beachead can be the DI (toon inspired i know), isn't leatherneck's 2ndary specialty (maybe i'm thinking the wrong person here) DI? Major Barrage and Srg Savage both remind me of Slaughter and i would prefer to see 25th versions of them before slaughter.

if i see him on the shelves though, i'd probably buy him.

Yeah, that's my fear. But we have Hawk. If we can just get Iceberg, I can do the rest myself... C'mon Hasbro, he's one of the more popular arctic troops anyway... :)

Hasbro acquires the WWE Rights in 2009.

at that time, it is likely we may get a Sgt. Slaughter figure.

Nope. Its Mattel.

Wonder what that means for the Build N' Brawl figures that were rattled off earlier. Are those supposed to be out before the switch, or is Mattel just going to go through with what's on the table, or what?

I can easily customize Sarge to the new Joe scale if I need to... but he's gotta make it out first!

Yeah, that's my fear. But we have Hawk. If we can just get Iceberg, I can do the rest myself... C'mon Hasbro, he's one of the more popular arctic troops anyway... :)

Hasbro acquires the WWE Rights in 2009.

at that time, it is likely we may get a Sgt. Slaughter figure.

Nope. Its Mattel.

Wonder what that means for the Build N' Brawl figures that were rattled off earlier. Are those supposed to be out before the switch, or is Mattel just going to go through with what's on the table, or what?

I can easily customize Sarge to the new Joe scale if I need to... but he's gotta make it out first!

Yep that's what those are supposed to be. The last of the series.

Actually , Mattel doesnt take over the WWE line until January of 2010.

True. I'm surprised though that they let it slide, despite the fact it sold so well and went for a large sum

I'll make a guess and say that McMahon knows there's a lot of stuff that can be done with a G.I. Joe Slaughter figure that helps the WWE brand. In the '80s, the WWE (then WWF) did some wily marketing by having their wrestlers roll into different lines. Slaughter is a boon to G.I. Joe in many ways: he's a recognizable character, his appearance as a major part of the Joes shows a very good nationalistic link that the WWE has been trying to market ever since late 2001. While Jakks has the license, I'm sure that the WWE would not disagree to having Slaughter back in the Joes: it links the WWE to a very recognizable toy line and brings in a lot of collectors' nostalgia.

I'm guessing that the WWE was shortsighted and signed over everything to Jakks or Mattel and thought GI Joes were an '80s fad. I'm sure if they had the chance, they would license Slaughter over to Hasbro for a few figures and get the man himself to do a few commercials. Why? Because it's just good publicity and it fits well into the nationalistic angle the WWE has taken on. Nothing beats saying 'Army' then GI Joe, and suing over that is cutting a nose off to spite the face. I think it's just an unfortunate bit of contract, but I'm guessing the WWE would bend over backwards to be realigned with the Joes again. Just as long as they're cut in for a bit of all Triple-T Tank sales. ;)

I did read a somewhat unconfirmed rumour that it was Hulk Hogan and not Slaughter that was gfonna be the GI Joe/WWF spokesman, due to his patriotism and massive popularity. Dunno how true that is though.

He got his own toys.

I thought that they went with Slaughter because Stallone/Rocky turned them down.

I did read a somewhat unconfirmed rumour that it was Hulk Hogan and not Slaughter that was gfonna be the GI Joe/WWF spokesman, due to his patriotism and massive popularity. Dunno how true that is though.

He got his own toys.

I thought that they went with Slaughter because Stallone/Rocky turned them down.

I remember reading that Slaughter was intended to be a counterpoint to Big Van Vader, who they were supposedly negotiating with to be a COBRA. That fell through, but Slaughter was signed up anyway. No idea if there's any truth to that or not (as I read it in a not-exactly-for-smarts wrestling mag when I was younger, best as I can recall).

In Bret Hart's book, he says that Slaughter was fired by Vince McMahon over this deal, which he supposedly made on his own at a larger percentage of royalties than the other WWF guys were getting under their deals at the time. *edit* Given the timelines, that seems to be a false recollection by Bret.