Are there any Sgt. Slaughter fans in the house?

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

I know most of the TNI G.I.Joe posters are for the comic book only, but Sgt. Slaughter was actually a favorite of mine. I haven't heard any news of a figure being made for the 25th Anniversary line, nor any of the Marauders. Are there any plans for a Sgt. Slaughter?

Would any of you want a Sergeant Slaughter figure?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that the WWF won't let there be a Slaughter figure. I thought he was cool, but the one thing I didn't care for was how he was so invincable. On a side note he was in 2 issues of the comics. I believe it was issues 51 and 52??? I remember he took out Zartan and then chased the Thunder Machine in the Havok

I have heard that the WWF won't let there be a Slaughter figure.

Oh no, don't tell me the license to use Sgt. Slaughter is tied up in wresting figures, and can't be used for G.I.Joe. @bH@ His image, likeness and voice is in Arise Serpentor Arise is already used , so how much money would it take to simply make a fig?

Why would the WWE #$#@# and whine about Slaughter's portrayal? It's not like the man wrestles for them anymore (EDIT: apparently he works for RAW, but that still makes little sense), or that being one of the hardcore G.I. Joe members would be a bad thing. I can't see the logic behind that at all. Plus if they really wanted to be dinks about it, why not simply create a 'Sarge' character called 'Slaughter' and be done with it?

I have heard that the WWF won't let there be a Slaughter figure.

Oh no, don't tell me the license to use Sgt. Slaughter is tied up in wresting figures, and can't be used for G.I.Joe. @bH@ His image, likeness and voice is in Arise Serpentor Arise is already used , so how much money would it take to simply make a fig?

Yep, WWE owns his likeness. They have a deal with Jakks to produce their characters ('cause that's all pro wrestlers are, characters) as figures. So Hasbro cannot legally make another Sarge figure.

As for the Arise Serpentor Arise DVD. I'm not a lawyer or anything but I imagine that since that was already produced during the time when Sunbow and Hasbro had a deal to use his likeness it's okay. Since Hasbro owns the rights to ASA that supercedes the character likeness included in the epsiodes. Same as they can refer to Torch and Ripper as 'Torch' and 'Ripper' and not 'Dreadnok Torch' and so on. Now, should Hasbro decide to produce a new version of ASA using Slaughter in it. That would be a copyright violation.

It sucks and I'd love to get a Sarge but it's how it is......

No.

This was a stupid embarrassing point in the toy line that doesn't need to be revisited.

I kind of agree - this is where the line stated skewing off into the more surreal. Neon, aliens, etc. Besides, why would the creme de la creme of the military need a drill sergeant?

Now I'd bet Hasbro could make a DS if they wanted to, that looked alot like the man, and just call him something different - just enough to pass over the likeness issue.

No.

This was a stupid embarrassing point in the toy line that doesn't need to be revisited.

I kind of agree - this is where the line stated skewing off into the more surreal. Neon, aliens, etc. Besides, why would the creme de la creme of the military need a drill sergeant?

Now I'd bet Hasbro could make a DS if they wanted to, that looked alot like the man, and just call him something different - just enough to pass over the likeness issue.

They might just do that.

why would the creme de la creme of the military need a drill sergeant?

Practice makes perfect. :P

Is Slaughter a ridiciulous character? Yes.

Do I care? No, I want a Slaughter!

I definitely want a Sgt. Slaughter figure.

I never read the comic as a kid, but watched the cartoon regularly. I remember being absolutely enthralled by the "Arise, Serpentor, Arise" storyline, and how cool Slaughter was. Especially how he kicked the crap out of all the BATS.

Still one of my favorite old school GI Joe figures.

Mark me as one of those fans who doesnt care is a Slaughter figure gets made. He's a stain on the legitimacy of the line, and part of the ridiculous 80s nostalgia that the franchise needs to shake if it's ever going to be taken seriously in any medium outside the toys.

That said, if Hasbro needed a character like him for whatever reason, I nominate Sgt. Savage. Similar name, something of a similar uniform (sleeveless shirt, at least). Put a DI's cover on him, and you're 90% the way there. Savage also had a storyline about training a team of washouts, the Screaming Eagles... easy enough to adapt him to run the Renegades or Marauders.

In my own Joeverse, he's the DI for GIJoe's recruit program, including Kamakura, Barrel Roll, Hi-Tech, Firewall, Blackout, and Heavy Duty.

Sgt. Savage would certainly fit. His Captain America-styled origin along with Sgt. Rock looks could avoid the '80s stigma and create a suitable replacement. Well, if the rights for him are still intact. And 'Savage's Marauders' and 'Savage's Renegades' do still sound cool.

I'm game!

When I was little, I didn't even realize that Slaughter was a wrestler first, and a GI Joe second. I always thought he was first, and foremost, a GI Joe character, and that they had a found a real person, who looked like the character, to wrestle in the WWF. @lol@

I want a Slaughter............No Doubt......he was awesome when I was younger. A real life Joe....... #US1#

If Hasbro doesn't have his rights then how can they make a Roddy Piper figure?? (WWE and Jakks probably have a blanket contract or something, if this is even a probable rumor.) Plus, they just made a Slaughter a couple years ago and he made an appearance at the Con? I'm thinking they just haven't made one.