Would you buy another Roadblock?

gojira77

So looking on the back of the Wave 13 cards, it looks like we're getting another RAH-style Roadblock along with what will most likely be an improved Falcon (no matter the arms they use this time). Some speculate that it will be a Tiger Force version to go along with Flint and Duke, since the image is clearly based on '84 Box Art as was '88 Tiger Force art. Maybe-- it sure would seem crazy if they re-released the same figure that we got in the Battle Pack and last year's Wave 4... Though I'm not sure Tiger Force Roadblock would be much better.

Unlike Flint, Duke, Dusty, or really anybody else on the team, RB's new colors weren't that different from his old ones besides a loud yellow helmet and a few random stripes. The great thing about Tiger Force back in the day was that it gave you a second chance of picking up characters that you couldn't find in stores anymore, some like Duke and Trip-Wire for years. There have been plenty of opportunities to get the heavy machine gunner in this year alone and I don't think that I'd grab another one just to build up my Tiger Force-- and I love both RB and Tiger Force. I think what gets me the most about the last three RBs if that the basic mold was terrible to begin with.

Many of fans have pointed out the short-cummings of the initial 10 figures from the 25th Anniversary line and Hasbro, for the most part, makes MUCH better figures now and has gone back and improved nearly every one. Except Roadblock, who still can't hold that giant gun well with his terrible arms. Really, next to Gung Ho, I'd say RB is the one figure that I've been most disappointed in and I don't like it when his parts are re-used even for the likes of Copperhead. I've come to accept his baby-face if it's painted well, but the awkward arms and shoulders kinda ruin him for me. I take my Joes out of the package and play with them, and his possibility is just too awkward, and he winds up back in the display case while TF Duke and Flint get all the glory. I think that I actually used Radio-active Snake-Eyes more than poor Marvin.

I think that Hasbro would have to at least re-do his hands, if not the whole arms, before I'd get another one. What do you think?

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

His hands, along with the cumbersome accessories, don't make for much fun in posing him...much less playing with him, if one wished to do so.

So looking on the back of the Wave 13 cards, it looks like we're getting another RAH-style Roadblock along with what will most likely be an improved Falcon (no matter the arms they use this time). Some speculate that it will be a Tiger Force version to go along with Flint and Duke, since the image is clearly based on '84 Box Art as was '88 Tiger Force art. Maybe-- it sure would seem crazy if they re-released the same figure that we got in the Battle Pack and last year's Wave 4... Though I'm not sure Tiger Force Roadblock would be much better.

Unlike Flint, Duke, Dusty, or really anybody else on the team, RB's new colors weren't that different from his old ones besides a loud yellow helmet and a few random stripes. The great thing about Tiger Force back in the day was that it gave you a second chance of picking up characters that you couldn't find in stores anymore, some like Duke and Trip-Wire for years. There have been plenty of opportunities to get the heavy machine gunner in this year alone and I don't think that I'd grab another one just to build up my Tiger Force-- and I love both RB and Tiger Force. I think what gets me the most about the last three RBs if that the basic mold was terrible to begin with.

Many of fans have pointed out the short-cummings of the initial 10 figures from the 25th Anniversary line and Hasbro, for the most part, makes MUCH better figures now and has gone back and improved nearly every one. Except Roadblock, who still can't hold that giant gun well with his terrible arms. Really, next to Gung Ho, I'd say RB is the one figure that I've been most disappointed in and I don't like it when his parts are re-used even for the likes of Copperhead. I've come to accept his baby-face if it's painted well, but the awkward arms and shoulders kinda ruin him for me. I take my Joes out of the package and play with them, and his possibility is just too awkward, and he winds up back in the display case while TF Duke and Flint get all the glory. I think that I actually used Radio-active Snake-Eyes more than poor Marvin.

I think that Hasbro would have to at least re-do his hands, if not the whole arms, before I'd get another one. What do you think?

Well..... It all depends. Whatever version of Roadblock they're doing I'll buy him if I think it's an improvement over the one I already have. If it's the exact same or what I would consider a stepback in quality, then no sale.

I do try not to have multiple versions of the same character, save for army builders. That is easier said than done because 'improved' versions are not mentioned when the character is on the pegs now. For example. I bought Rock N' Roll back when he was new. Had I known that there would be the comicpack version coming out now, I would have held off buying him as I like the comic pack version better (I do!).

Tiger Force, Night Force etc. etc. doesn't matter to me. I want one version of each character, which I deem the best version of that charcter. Which obviously does not dictate how others would define the 'best' version of a character so I'm okay with re-paints.

For example. If they would release a original version of Recondo, and also announce that they will make a Tiger Force version too. I'll hold off for Tiger Force Recondo as I always liked that version better.

The real problem is I don't know what's coming out in six months from now so I have to take a best guess on what's coming. I like V1 Rock N' Roll better than V2. So I bought him thinking if they release another it'll be a v2. Reasonable thinking right?

I skipped Tiger Force Flint, my reasoning was there's no way you won't see a V1 Flint with the fixed arms by himself. So I held off on him. I'm still holding off because I'm sure the Hall of Heroes version will be exactly what I'm looking for. I can't justify buying the new Joe 5-pack for one figure I like who'll still need a head swap, and four figures I hate.

I do, I hate that set, they all look terrible IMO. I like about 70% of Flint in it, don't like the head with the teeth showing, don't like the colour of the webgear. Take a look here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=vie...600&start=0

No sale.

I may have an army of Dukes, and CC's but I did not do that on purpose......

I know a lot of you don't like preposed hands on the figures. I do. I think Roadblock's big hands work fine I have no issues posing him on the display shelf. I'm also a fan of Shipwreck's fist I think it works for the character and it's fun!

Check out some photos that this guy took just for silliness here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgwhitlock/27...57606405663208/ and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgwhitlock/27...57606405663208/

So, bottom line is. Once we see what he looks like in this version, if I like Roadblock from the next wave better than anyother version than I think we're going to get, I'll buy him. If not then I'll pass.

I do, I hate that set, they all look terrible IMO. I like about 70% of Flint in it, don't like the head with the teeth showing, don't like the colour of the webgear. Take a look here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=vie...600&start=0

No sale.

Personally, I love that set. They all look like great cartoon-accurate figures, which I welcome. Especially that Shipwreck...he's the perfect representation of his cartoon self.

Plus, I can't get enough of the cartoon rifles, and it looks like this set comes with at least 3.

Of course, if you were never a big fan of the cartoon, I could see how this pack wouldn't really do anything for you.

Here's the link I should have used. Opps: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=vie...600&start=0

No sale.

Personally, I love that set. They all look like great cartoon-accurate figures, which I welcome. Especially that Shipwreck...he's the perfect representation of his cartoon self.

Plus, I can't get enough of the cartoon rifles, and it looks like this set comes with at least 3.

Of course, if you were never a big fan of the cartoon, I could see how this pack wouldn't really do anything for you.

I was a huge fan of the cartoon. HUGE. Snake Eyes is good if you want a 'toon acurate version. Personally I don't but that's me. Lady Jaye and Shipwreck look terrible IMO. Especially Shipwreck.

That's just my opinon though. Lots of people seem to like them and that's their right. It's just not for me.

I love the Cobra set though!

I really like both of the 5-packs coming..

anyhow, as for Roadblock, I will probably buy him in any one of the forms I can imagine them doing him. Tigerforce, yep. Resolute, yep. Improved v1, yep.

Hasbro listens. Whether or not they ACT, they do listen. We got a "better" Flint pretty quick, even if it was the Tiger Force version and not the original. I can imagine they are aware of our "baby face" argument and the hands arguments so I can see them correcting them with this version, even if it is just a Tiger Force variation. We have previous proof.

Well..... It all depends. Whatever version of Roadblock they're doing I'll buy him if I think it's an improvement over the one I already have. If it's the exact same or what I would consider a stepback in quality, then no sale.

I do try not to have multiple versions of the same character, save for army builders. That is easier said than done because 'improved' versions are not mentioned when the character is on the pegs now. For example. I bought Rock N' Roll back when he was new. Had I known that there would be the comicpack version coming out now, I would have held off buying him as I like the comic pack version better (I do!).

Tiger Force, Night Force etc. etc. doesn't matter to me. I want one version of each character, which I deem the best version of that charcter. Which obviously does not dictate how others would define the 'best' version of a character so I'm okay with re-paints.

For example. If they would release a original version of Recondo, and also announce that they will make a Tiger Force version too. I'll hold off for Tiger Force Recondo as I always liked that version better.

The real problem is I don't know what's coming out in six months from now so I have to take a best guess on what's coming. I like V1 Rock N' Roll better than V2. So I bought him thinking if they release another it'll be a v2. Reasonable thinking right?

I skipped Tiger Force Flint, my reasoning was there's no way you won't see a V1 Flint with the fixed arms by himself. So I held off on him. I'm still holding off because I'm sure the Hall of Heroes version will be exactly what I'm looking for. I can't justify buying the new Joe 5-pack for one figure I like who'll still need a head swap, and four figures I hate.

No sale.

I know a lot of you don't like preposed hands on the figures. I do. I think Roadblock's big hands work fine I have no issues posing him on the display shelf. I'm also a fan of Shipwreck's fist I think it works for the character and it's fun!

Check out some photos that this guy took just for silliness here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgwhitlock/27...57606405663208/ and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgwhitlock/27...57606405663208/

So, bottom line is. Once we see what he looks like in this version, if I like Roadblock from the next wave better than anyother version than I think we're going to get, I'll buy him. If not then I'll pass.

That's just it there IS no guarantee (except for Snake Eyes, Duke, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow) of ANY character getting another version. It sucks that way. If a character is going to get, say 3 versions made, over time, you cannot guarantee that version 3 will be better (to you) then 1 or 2. Same for 2 over 1 and 3 or 1 over 2 and 3. So if version 1 is the best version, ultimately, and you miss getting him because you are holding out for 2 or 3, well your stuck, aren't you.

I pretty much disagree with everything you said lol. I think RB came out wonderful. Granted, i dont care much for his gun but his hands are absolutely perfect for the maurader M249 SAW gun. It couldn't fit any more perfectly. I think the arms and shoulders are well proportioned and the paint scheme is pleasing.

I do try not to have multiple versions of the same character, save for army builders. That is easier said than done because 'improved' versions are not mentioned when the character is on the pegs now.

The real problem is I don't know what's coming out in six months from now so I have to take a best guess on what's coming.

Roughly half of what Figg said is EXACTLY my thoughts, so I just cut-and pasted the parts that I liked. :)

I really don't have any use for a single-carded RB unless he's something I like better than the three I already have. I picked up the V2 one on a whim; he's nice, but destined for custom use. The DVD one I've never liked. Again, destined to be a custom.

There's just no way I can justify yet another RB that I don't want/need, so the new one's gonna have to be good in order to hook me. Tiger Force... not my thing, so I'll pass on that, but plenty of people out there do like and want Tiger Force, so that just leaves one more for them.

I pretty much disagree with everything you said lol. I think RB came out wonderful. Granted, i dont care much for his gun but his hands are absolutely perfect for the maurader M249 SAW gun. It couldn't fit any more perfectly. I think the arms and shoulders are well proportioned and the paint scheme is pleasing.

You're right that a different gun helps a lot, which is why my current default Roadblock is the Lime-Green vested one with the smaller M-60. He holds that pretty convincingly with one arm and then holds his ammo in the wide palm of his left. But an '84/'88 version RB would come with the old gun that he never held very well. Without new tooling, I just couldn't pick up another one. I actually prefer the paint job on the DVD Pack RB to the first one-- I think the face came out better that time.

I really had two problems with a Tiger Force Roadblock w/o new tooling-- one is the "play-ability" of the figure as-is. The other is that the '88 figure was IMO one of the less-inspired repaints. Even if they tweak his colors a little, like they did with TF Flint and Duke, I don't see him as that appealing. Tiger Force had some really cool repaints, which is why anybody would forgive Hasbro for making Dusty into a jungle fighter (WTF-- that's almost as bad as Frostbite!). Roadblock just got some random stripes and a yellow helmet. I guess they made his shirt a solid green and his gloves a different color, too, but not much else. Show me the error of my ways if you can...

84.jpg88.jpg

I'd like a RoadBlock which doesn't have skinny-ass chicken legs and pants from MC Hammer's colour palette. I find it hard to believe that any bodybuilder who goes to such lengths to build his pecs, bis, tris, lats, traps and delts would skip out on his glutes, hams and quads. Seriously...

That's just it there IS no guarantee (except for Snake Eyes, Duke, Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow) of ANY character getting another version. It sucks that way. If a character is going to get, say 3 versions made, over time, you cannot guarantee that version 3 will be better (to you) then 1 or 2. Same for 2 over 1 and 3 or 1 over 2 and 3. So if version 1 is the best version, ultimately, and you miss getting him because you are holding out for 2 or 3, well your stuck, aren't you.

I wouldn't say that. Granted not buying a charcter becasue you want to hold out for a better version is rolling the dice. I would treat it on a case by case basis though. Say for example Tripwire, will there be a version of him with smooth torso pads as opposed to quilted? I'd say a 50/50 shot is optimistic. Flint? I'm 99% sure we'll see him again, and not in a set.

There's also the chance I won't like the new version of a charcter that I'm waiting for. But I'm not stuck. I can always trade for one at a fair price. If I had the 'I need it now' menatility I would pay a premium for it. I don't, I'd like the figures now but I don't need them now. So as long as I'm patient an opportunity will present itself.

Say in a trade, or a favour I did for someone else being repaid to me (which is one of the reasons I like the community here), or when someone on this or another board has a fire sale, or in a revision wave, lots of opportunity.

It's not something I do for every figure. I get most of them, but if I just don't like one particular version, I'll wait until something better comes along. Take Leatherneck for example.......

I'd like a RoadBlock which doesn't have skinny-ass chicken legs and pants from MC Hammer's colour palette. I find it hard to believe that any bodybuilder who goes to such lengths to build his pecs, bis, tris, lats, traps and delts would skip out on his glutes, hams and quads. Seriously...

There was a kid I went to high school with who basically did upper-body, and looked like a muscle-man riding a chicken around. @lol@

I've got a feeling the other shadow on the back of the new cards isn't Falcon. I think it's Dial Tone. There should be a whole lot of pleasantly surprised fans if it is.

That's unlikely. Dial-Tone's signature backpack is in his pic. It IS possible if they don't have the backpack to do, but they've done a lot to remold old toys. For example, the recent C.L.A.W.S. was a new mold.

But even then, the pack would still be in the pic.

I had to make a custom of roadblock (dark green paints, black shirt, modified DTC steel brigade chest armor spytroop duke hands and jvc head,) i need to post pics of customs again...) and unless they do a new head or the new hands, or both, it would take some sort of spectaculer suprising paint job to get me to buy it. I wouldn't mind an enviroment them rb but even then i would have to see if it was worth modifing the head again! so that they match.

as for the 5 packs, THe 5 pack features a lot of improvements, but i agree the flint head is pretty ugly. Shipwreck looks better but i prefer ddp style so the pack looks like mostly fodder save for LJ whom i love! and the baroness in the other pack, amazing!