If you could choose the direction

JayC

After the movie stuff comes and goes, im curious if you had to choose which would you rather see, Hasbro switch gears and make a fully dedicated line for Resolute or continue on with remaking the classic stuff?

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

Keep the scale, but open the field to any and all characters from the complete and associated history of GIJOE--pure military, Adventure Team, Sgt Savage, Action Man etc.

Resolute can be a part of this, but expand the line a la the Star War "Expanded Universe" concept.

GIJOE has the characters........Hasbro just need make the toys.......

It's kind of an unfair question, we really haven't seen much of resolute. Three figures and a bad YouTube trailer is not enough for me to say that's what I want. What I'm sure we'll get is a mixture of the three line (redone 80's characters, Resolute and Movie stuff) since that what they have seemed to have done with Transformers. Now I could see them completely forget about Resolute depending on how that goes, but I think they'll continue to put out movie themed stuff well into 2010.

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

Keep the scale, but open the field to any and all characters from the complete and associated history of GIJOE--pure military, Adventure Team, Sgt Savage, Action Man etc.

Resolute can be a part of this, but expand the line a la the Star War "Expanded Universe" concept.

That.......... would........... be......... AWESOME!!!!!!

Great idea Arrow! In the 5 years I've posted here I have never seen the post question be answered so succinctly by the second post!!

plus I want some 25th Baron Von Ironblood goodness

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

Bingo!! Awesome idea. I love the idea of unifying all the different takes on G.I. Joe under one scale and line. Brilliant...

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

I could agree with that! It would please a wider group of people by covering various concepts.

If it were up to just me, I would want every character from 83-90 that we don't already have.

It's not up to me though, so I doubt this will happen. ;)

As long as 3 3/4" GI Joe keeps going long enough for me to get a modern era Low-Light, that will suffice.

I further add to the idea that as long as the 25th figures keep coming, then make all the different lines you want under one banner!!! If the kids get their Resolute whatever, then let me get updates of my figures I grew up with, and of course the vehicles!!!

I would like to see though, some of the characters and concepts that have had the GI JOE name brought into the scale and articulation of the 25th line, such as VvV, Extreme, etc!! Some characters could really work with my old school Joes!!!

I would love to see Scalpel, Bombstrike, Iron Klaw, and others made a la 25 style!! That would unify my Joe Universe!! Oh and add all of VENOM and MASK characters too, spread em out but let's get them in on the action!!!

I would hate a shift to Resolute figures, or anything else.

I don't mind them adding in some figures here and there like the 3 Resolute figures in wave 13 (however, there is only one new RAH character in there, Blowtorch).

But there are FAR TOO many classic RAH figures that need to be addressed before the RAH line stops being the main focus.

I don't mind them making other figures from other Eras as long as I keep getting at least a few Classic ARAH guys every once in awhile...

Actually at this point...I'm more hard up for Classic ARAH Vehicles then figures as there are only a handful left I'd like to see.

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

I agree with Arrow, so we could get those from RAH they haven't made yet and other favs through the past lines.

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

Wow....even I have to dust off the ol' login to echo the overwhelming agreement with this statement. ##1#

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

Excellent idea!!

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

I would also like to jump on the agreeing with ARROW band wagon, and agree with ARROW. Well said.

I think the Universe idea is great as one line, but it shouldn't be the "main" line. I don't know what Resolute is going to be, but there needs to be a push by Hasbro for a kid friendly/oriented main line. It is what needs to be done to keep the interest high after the movie. As far as I know the Resolute line won't be that since people die in the cartoon.

So I would put a big push on for a kid's line/show. Have a Universe catch all line and maybe a Resolute line depending on reaction.

I think the "G.I. Joe Universe" idea sounds great. Obviously it'd likely be weighted most heavily towards ARAH and Movie stuff. Maybe some Resolute, but unless it gets picked up for a full series, I suspect what we get in the first half of this year may be the bulk of what we'll see for this sub-line...much like the "Clone Wars" line from Star Wars (the original micro-series) that had one-three waves, and then tapered off. If they take their cues from Star Wars and Transformers they could sprinkle in plenty of surprises here and there. Or do like Star Wars does and release "expanded universe" (ie G.I. Joe Extreme/Sgt. Savage/Action Force/Et al...) characters in multi-packs and maybe one full "wave" of such characters per year.

Though it probably couldn't work that way. They'd have to mix in a Snake-Eyes or Duke or Cobra Commander or Destro or somebody so that Wal-Mart would buy the case assortments. The G.I. Joe "EU" kinda doesn't include those "core characters" that Hasbro likes so well, unlike Star Wars where you can always make "Dark Empire Luke Skywalker" or "McQuarrie Concept Darth Vader" for an EU wave.

Plus, I don't think Hasbro really has much faith in the lasting popularity of the more obscure/short-lived Joe sublines. Remember that Extreme and Sgt. Savage basically bombed at retail, and while there are a few devoted fans, they don't have the "nostalgia factor" that classic ARAH does. Realistically speaking, I think "alternate Joe" characters will be pretty few and far between, but not impossible.

I think the "G.I. Joe Universe" idea sounds great. Obviously it'd likely be weighted most heavily towards ARAH and Movie stuff. Maybe some Resolute, but unless it gets picked up for a full series, I suspect what we get in the first half of this year may be the bulk of what we'll see for this sub-line...much like the "Clone Wars" line from Star Wars (the original micro-series) that had one-three waves, and then tapered off. If they take their cues from Star Wars and Transformers they could sprinkle in plenty of surprises here and there. Or do like Star Wars does and release "expanded universe" (ie G.I. Joe Extreme/Sgt. Savage/Action Force/Et al...) characters in multi-packs and maybe one full "wave" of such characters per year.

Though it probably couldn't work that way. They'd have to mix in a Snake-Eyes or Duke or Cobra Commander or Destro or somebody so that Wal-Mart would buy the case assortments. The G.I. Joe "EU" kinda doesn't include those "core characters" that Hasbro likes so well, unlike Star Wars where you can always make "Dark Empire Luke Skywalker" or "McQuarrie Concept Darth Vader" for an EU wave.

Plus, I don't think Hasbro really has much faith in the lasting popularity of the more obscure/short-lived Joe sublines. Remember that Extreme and Sgt. Savage basically bombed at retail, and while there are a few devoted fans, they don't have the "nostalgia factor" that classic ARAH does. Realistically speaking, I think "alternate Joe" characters will be pretty few and far between, but not impossible.

QFT!

All Joe, All the time baby!! #US1#

After the movie stuff comes and goes, im curious if you had to choose which would you rather see, Hasbro switch gears and make a fully dedicated line for Resolute or continue on with remaking the classic stuff?

I'm going to say NEITHER.

What I would really like is for them to do the majority of the waves with totally new characters!

You know what one of the last great Joe waves was? The 1990 wave. Cool new guys and maybe one new version of an oldie. I want to see that happen again.

I personally don't NEED every guy from 82-90 remade. And I don't need new Roadblocks or Dukes. Let's get some new recruits!

Well, to "expand" upon the initial idea--and thank yous to all who agree with it-- here's what I envision happening. ( Warning: this will be a long read)

The idea of a GIJOE Universe line really comes down to this: to get more GIJOE brand out there by way of making more eye-appealing toys that will get dedicated fans and casual buyers interested.

When you look over the length and breadth of GIJOE, over the past 45 years, there's a ton of interesting ideas put forward, and a LOT of different themes.

Personally, as much as I have a fondness for the 12" scale........I'd go with 3 3/4" scale for this, simply because its handy, detailed, probably more cost-effective and so many of the characters have never been seen or found in this scale to make many offerings novel.

Now, I see the idea in a three-pronged thrust: single cards, two packs and vehicle sets.

The "GIJOE Universe" tag would be like the current card tags for, say, Matt Trakker.......a small added logo and byline on the card/package.

The weight of the single carded line would continue to be RAH, and RAH-related characters, with additional EU characters fill one or two slots.

The bulk of the two packs would be where the bulk of the EU population would exist--simply because you can pair of good guys and bad guys.

It would also be another way of getting more characters out sooner, but giving the consumers and fans more choice as to what they buy.

If a collector wants to be a completist they are welcome to that delightful insanity, but if they want to cherry-pick the line to maintain "purity" for, say, just a RAH-focused collection, they can do that too--although the packaging might reflect the added items in the EU line.

For the casual buyers, its mix and match as they please--because it'd all be GIJOE anyway.

The vehicle line would stick with small and medium sized vehicles. This is where a lot of colour can come into the line. Personally, I find a lot of allure and appeal to the Adventure Team yellow colour scheme--so a AT copter would be one item I'd definitely want to see. Then you can add in other stuff, like say a classic Willy's "5-star" jeep that could see re-purposed duty as a Sgt Savage jeep etc.

And then you could have vehicles like the STUN etc.

This so the line is larger, but also longer lasting in its scope.

Now, all of this is predicated on the idea of a lasting consumer interest in GIJOE--something that, maybe, the movie MIGHT spark. We'll see.

Now, back to the single cards:

So you could have a character like, say.........Voltar ( maybe with the pink toned to a purple), alongside Repeater, proper Leatherneck, Dress-blues Gung-ho, Sgt Slaughter etc......, maybe a Dr. X Skullman, or Lt. Stone, and say a Adventure Team member in Karate gi.

Now think about that last one.

The AT figure would be a bearded head, but the colours could be random ( just like the "real" 12" figures were) so it could be a air, land, sea etc guy in the gi.

But here's the thing..........because the heads are so easy to swap , you could pop off the head and replace it with just about ANY other Joe head. RAH or EU--it'd be your choice.

So, if you open your figures, you could have Duke in a Karate gi training with the Adventure Team Commander, or Action Man......or whomever.

The two-packs would be where you'd see a lot of match-ups and added characters.

Bulletman and Mike Power, Knuck and Natalie. Air Adventurer and Intruder Commander, Sgt. Savage and Blitz Kreiger etc.

Who's to say that having Darklon and an Intruder joining the forces of COBRA Commander, Dr. X and the German Stormtrooper wouldn't be fun? Or Bulletman and Snake-eyes rescuing Scarlet from a bad date with Knuck and Natalie.

I mean, if you swing that way.....

This kind of open-ended interaction is the heart of the EU idea....because, by rights, these characters could ( and imo, should) interact.

It can mean that all kind of variations are possible, just like the original figures had. The uniform for the Action Marine is essentially the same basic outfit for the Land Adventurer, would could be the same figure packed with a AT vehicle.

Hasbro is ALREADY doing this with the 25th line, the EU idea just takes it much further.

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

This.

Thats a point. Hasbro will only make characters that the fans know and well, is gonna look cool for kids. I mean, there's no point making a Scoop figure because only the diehard fans know him and well, how many kids would know Scoop?

But here's the thing..........do kids NEED to know Scoop as a character? Or would just making the character look cool as a figure and toy be enough to sell him?

Are we saying that consumers are so preprogrammed to ONLY buy via association that something they are unfamiliar with will sell poorly or not at all?

Marketing folks wrestle with this kind of thing daily.

Heck, when Scoop first appeared.........no-one knew him either, back then. The same thing could be said for almost every character at some point.

The well-known characters will carry the line--that much is sure ( and an accepted fact), but salting the line with new characters is how it grows.

Two words, Jayc:

GIJOE Universe.

That is a damn good response. For me The joes will always be cold war warriors that are vietnam vets. Thats just how I grew up with it. All the other stuff can fit in as well, but If I had to pick I would still like to see the classic line continued. I just don't see how anyone can make characters and vehicles that matched the coolness factor of that magical time in the 80's. But I'm interested in whatever they put out, I may not buy it all, If the movie stuff is THAT different. I like the fact that there is a resurgance in G.I.Joe, but it will still always be straight 80's mythology, everything else next...