My Top Ten Transformers of 2008

rherk

My Top Ten Transformers of 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is now the fourth year I've put together my top ten favorite Transformers of the year. It is always controversial as everyone has different tastes within the Transformers universe. I was happy the movie toys were mostly gone this year as the designs less than impressed me. We saw a slight return of Binaltech's even if they were just repaints but best of all we saw the birth of Transformers Animated, the surprisingly wonderful toy line. I liked each and every figure from the series and could have easily just done a top ten of the series alone. Nevertheless, there were some other good figures this year. So, here we go!

10. Universe Springer - It was tough putting this on the top ten since it is just a repaint of a previously released Transformer. However, Hasbro did an excellent job really making this mold work for Springer and they did a good job with the paint applications. The color choices worked great as an homage to my favorite movie character.

9. Chevy Aveo Swerve - Perhaps, this made the list because of how rare this figure is but I think Hasbro did a great job of making a "real" car transform into a unique robot. The only real improvements this toy could have used is a gun and perhaps a few more paint applications. Nevertheless, for a rare premium, it sure looks like Hasbro put a lot of thought into this toy.

8. Animated Leader Class Ultra Magnus - Finally, a cool looking toy of Ultra Magnus that isn't just a white repaint of Optimus Prime. This figure is loaded with armory and ready to lead into battle. If his vehicle mode was a little less generic, this figure could have made the top five.

7. Animated Voyager Lugnut - I don't know what it is about this Voyager class Decepticon but he just really appealed to me. I like his unique head design and his bulky look. It's nice to see a new character as well instead of constant G1 homage's.

6. Binaltech Bluestreak & silver Jazz - I'm grouping these two together. I know they are just repaints of two molds we've seen a dozen times but as usual Takara made these two shine with exceptional paint jobs for two of the best Binaltech molds to date.

5. Animated Deluxe Jazz - I've always been a fan of the original Jazz and Hasbro really captured the essence of his look with adding some new fresh blood into this character. Plus, this toy is just plain fun to play with.

4. Universe Sideswipe & Sunstreaker - For the most part, I feel the Universe line was poorly executed. Most of the figures had cheap plastic and lacked paint applications. However, somehow they got Sideswipe and Sunstreaker right. On top of that, Hasbro ingeniously created two very distinct robots out of one mold. Bravo!

3. Animated Leader Class Megatron - I admit, I've never really been a big Megatron fan but Hasbro has made perhaps the coolest looking and fun Megatron toy ever! Animated Megatron is well designed and has a fun transformation. What more can you ask for?

2. Binaltech Convoy - Okay, so this mold has been released several times before but this under-appreciated mold has finally received the treatment it deserved. There is so much die-cast metal on this toy, he is easily the heaviest Binaltech made. The paint job is perfect and I am pleased Takara Tomy finally gave us this perfect version of the Binaltech Autobot leader.

1. Animated Voyager Class Optimus Prime - This was my number one the minute I got it out of the box. This toy captures all the heroism of the Autobot leader with the refreshing animated style. He is super fun to play with, well painted & articulated. The only aspect that is not perfect is his ax. Nevertheless, Hasbro has made a classic toy and one of my all time favorite versions of Optimus Prime.

Note: I haven't gotten a hold of Animated Blurr yet. However, from everything I've seen of him, I'm pretty sure he would make this list. If I get him before years end as I should, I will make an adjustment to the list if need be.

prime toys

Nice list! I definitely agree w/ animated voyager prime, he's one of the best prime toys ever made.

I disagree about sunstreaker/sideswipe; I found it to be a pretty average mold, like most of universe.

honestly I'd have to see a full list with pics of everything that has been put out this year to make one of my own :D No idea whats been put out so far this year really!

For me it:

1 Animated Leader Class Ultra Magnus

2 Animated Leader Class Megatron

3 Animated Voyager Class Prime

4 Animated Deluxe Class Ratchet

5 Classics Sunstreaker

6 Classics Sideswipe

7 Classics Ironhide

8 Classics Bluestreak

9 Animated Voyager Class Grimlock

10 Animated Deluxe Jazz