Why Does Hasbro Allow Themselves to Fall Short as Opposed to Takara

Forcehunter

This is something I do not understand. Takara is almost like Hasbro's Asian hand (if wrong, I apologise please inform), yet why is the the quality of work so vastly different between the two. Okay, you have two markets one which is probably more inclined to G1 Transformers figures than the other (U.S.) However, part of Takara's market is here in America that like that quality being put out, G1 accuracy and chrome (well some of us). Why is it that there is not a universal standard for both companies, or more bluntly, why does Hasbro not produce the same level of quality that Takara does? Laziness? Incompetence? Budgetary factors? Or is it that there has to be a difference between the two in the two different regions to distinguish the products and Takara just chooses to make the difference more a accurate representation?

The reason I ask is because I as a collectorlove the Henkei transformers, but because we are a component that helps to fuel the domestic Universe line, if we continue to go overto Takara, would that not hurt Hasbro's sales and thus risk ending the line again? But this would be Hasbro's fault regardless since they are allowing a competitor (or their subsidiary if the term is accurate) to produce more attractive goods that take away from some of the consumer base when they can easily follow up. I'm not rich, yet I prefer to import my Classics jsut because of more accuracy and am willing to budget more for it and budget less for something else. Thoughts?

cheaper to make em with less paint and chrome, and kids buy them no matter what they look like.

The few people who decided to buy the Takara version isntead of the Hasbro version, just isn't great enough for Hasbro to justify spending the extra money making them look better. That and Hasbro generally don't feel Chromed plastic is very safe for some reason.

This is something I do not understand. Takara is almost like Hasbro's Asian hand (if wrong, I apologise please inform), yet why is the the quality of work so vastly different between the two. Okay, you have two markets one which is probably more inclined to G1 Transformers figures than the other (U.S.) However, part of Takara's market is here in America that like that quality being put out, G1 accuracy and chrome (well some of us). Why is it that there is not a universal standard for both companies, or more bluntly, why does Hasbro not produce the same level of quality that Takara does? Laziness? Incompetence? Budgetary factors? Or is it that there has to be a difference between the two in the two different regions to distinguish the products and Takara just chooses to make the difference more a accurate representation?

The reason I ask is because I as a collectorlove the Henkei transformers, but because we are a component that helps to fuel the domestic Universe line, if we continue to go overto Takara, would that not hurt Hasbro's sales and thus risk ending the line again? But this would be Hasbro's fault regardless since they are allowing a competitor (or their subsidiary if the term is accurate) to produce more attractive goods that take away from some of the consumer base when they can easily follow up. I'm not rich, yet I prefer to import my Classics jsut because of more accuracy and am willing to budget more for it and budget less for something else. Thoughts?

I don't see Hasbro as "falling short" so much as "not catering to the whims of fans" as tightly as Takara does. Futhermore, I really don't see a point in comparing the two as they both serve VASTLY different markets and needs. Hasbro will market to a mix of kids and collectors, and generally releases more than TWICE the number of toys Takara does in a given year (especially since 2004). Takara will MAYBE run a central line, a few reissues here and there, and a couple one-off toy projects (like Alternity). Transformers' only real competiton in the US is Power Rangers, Takara fights against DOZENS of giant robot toylines.

The "quality" argument is subjective: the toys are made AT THE EXACT SAME FACTORIES. Takara might slap a few more paint apps here and there, but they also don't have to worry as much about staying within a given pricepoint as badly as Hasbro needs to.

To be brutally honest, the sales of Henkei and Universe have no bearing on each other. Hasbro sells a LOt more Universe to kids who don't even know henkei exists than to even care a few hundred collectors are importing Takara's version.

Acutally, Takara owns Transformers even though Hasbro came up with the title. HAsbro is Hasbro has also saved Takara for bringing Transformers to America when the Microman and Diaclone series was losin money in Japan. What I mean is that Takara owns the line is that they own it while Hasbro is licensin' it

It is like the 80s' where Mattel got the rights for Bandai's Kinnukuman and distribute it in the US as M.US.C.L.E. A decade ago, the series was reborn and brought to America as Ultimate Muscle. They kept the muscle name even though it wasn't licensed by Mattel.

Bottom linne is that no matter what type of TF toy you buy, whether it is american or japaqnese, Takaara is makin the dinero regardless

cheaper to make em with less paint and chrome, and kids buy them no matter what they look like.

The few people who decided to buy the Takara version isntead of the Hasbro version, just isn't great enough for Hasbro to justify spending the extra money making them look better. That and Hasbro generally don't feel Chromed plastic is very safe for some reason.

Quite right.

Hasbro has always been infamous for cuttin corners on their products. Even with their current lines, they have removed articulation, color applications and even raised prices.

However, I think the reason with difference paint applications is that Takara normally releases their toys later than Hasbro. Also the latter caters to children and not so much with collectors. They do make lines for collectors but it is not as often since they don't sell as well or so it appears. CAn't say Henki is not for children like its us counterpart because none of us lives over there to see if any one under the age of 18 will purchase them.

Stevie is right that Takara and Hasbro TF toys are produced in the same factory, which is actually owned by Hasbr0.

However, I disagree with quality because they are not the same. Some may know I prefer Takara over Hasbro but honestly, I have not really have a TF break on me as bad as Randy in the Beast Wars neo series. Even though it did break, it is the plastic they use since the light glitterly brown plastic tends to break like the American Pretender Roadblock small guy's hands. Given how drop teestz are changed since the g1, a toy like Randy would never be relased in the US without having a different type of plastic that would not be prone to crack so easily. However, I have incidences where the logos on the HAsbro figs will rub off easily like the alterna figures while the Takara one does not. It is a give or take sort of thing.

I think a lot has to do w/ the differing markets; takara has much more competition, and as such must offer a bit more. The North American market is more a cost issue, so if hasbro can sell figures for a few bucks less, then their profits will go up. I don't really think hasbro is lazy (for the most part), it just makes more business sense. Basically, takara's lines are more collector-oriented, while hasbro's tf lines are kid-oriented.

Also, the North American collector market that orders henkei over universe is so small, it's virtually nonexistant in the eyes of either company, I would think.

I've never seen a toy that had articulation removed by hasbro, Doom Saber; any examples of that?

Also, as stevy mentioned, hasbro sells a lot more tf product than takara does (one reason for the takara/tomy merger; takara's not doing too well); hasbro's mass producing for a larger market, while takara is more a specialty market, where tf's are concerned.

I think a lot has to do w/ the differing markets; takara has much more competition, and as such must offer a bit more. The North American market is more a cost issue, so if hasbro can sell figures for a few bucks less, then their profits will go up. I don't really think hasbro is lazy (for the most part), it just makes more business sense. Basically, takara's lines are more collector-oriented, while hasbro's tf lines are kid-oriented.

Also, the North American collector market that orders henkei over universe is so small, it's virtually nonexistant in the eyes of either company, I would think.

I've never seen a toy that had articulation removed by hasbro, Doom Saber; any examples of that?

Also, as stevy mentioned, hasbro sells a lot more tf product than takara does (one reason for the takara/tomy merger; takara's not doing too well); hasbro's mass producing for a larger market, while takara is more a specialty market, where tf's are concerned.

Simple, MArvel LEgends. A lot of ml figs either had new parts like say feet that lacks articulation for recycled sculpts or actually have the articulation from proto to final removed (Ml Hydra Agent and Spiral)

Even the gi joe figures had the o rings removed with T crotch, though they broughti t back because of demand.

Acutally, Takara owns Transformers even though Hasbro came up with the title. Hasbro has also saved Takara for bringing Transformers to America when the Microman and Diaclone series was losin money in Japan. What I mean is that Takara owns the line is that they own it while Hasbro is licensin' it

I don't think that's entirely right!! Transformers is all homegrown!! You were right that they borrowed 3 not 2 established Japanese toy lines, but the idea for creating the characters and story was all American baby!! Ironic huh, since Japan is king of robot toys/cartoons!!! It was Takara who then took the idea and ran with it as well!! I think since the molds were orginally Takara's and Bandai's, Takara may not have to license the name, but not quite sure on that!! Anyone know. But they may well have to buy the license from Hasbro, cause them Autobots and Decepticons are all American!!! #US1#

Acutally, Takara owns Transformers even though Hasbro came up with the title. HAsbro is Hasbro has also saved Takara for bringing Transformers to America when the Microman and Diaclone series was losin money in Japan. What I mean is that Takara owns the line is that they own it while Hasbro is licensin' it

Not really... at all.

Hasbro licensed the Diaclone and Microman figures that became Transformers. Hasbro then came up with the Transformers brand and all the (US) names. In fact, the names were decided on by Marvel Comics: Denny O'Neil christened Optimus Prime, and Bob Budiansky is given credit for the bulk of the others over the years; Jim Shooter is often given credit somewhere in there, but I've never heard anyone attribute any specific name to him.

When it proved successful, Hasbro then licensed Transformers (the brand) back to Takara, where it also became a success, and Takara began to make toys specifically with Transformers in mind (which Hasbro of course licensed). Takara had the toys, and Hasbro had the story. That began a partnership we all know and love.

In current years (since Beast Wars, roughly), the two companies usually produce the toys in cooperation. I'm not sure if division could ever possibly be drawn in terms of who owns what in designs anymore, but Transformers and all the character names used in the US do indeed belong to Hasbro.

Not really... at all.

Hasbro licensed the Diaclone and Microman figures that became Transformers. Hasbro then came up with the Transformers brand and all the (US) names. In fact, the names were decided on by Marvel Comics: Denny O'Neil christened Optimus Prime, and Bob Budiansky is given credit for the bulk of the others over the years; Jim Shooter is often given credit somewhere in there, but I've never heard anyone attribute any specific name to him.

When it proved successful, Hasbro then licensed Transformers (the brand) back to Takara, where it also became a success, and Takara began to make toys specifically with Transformers in mind (which Hasbro of course licensed). Takara had the toys, and Hasbro had the story. That began a partnership we all know and love.

In current years (since Beast Wars, roughly), the two companies usually produce the toys in cooperation. I'm not sure if division could ever possibly be drawn in terms of who owns what in designs anymore, but Transformers and all the character names used in the US do indeed belong to Hasbro.

Actually

Also from wiki:

Both Takara and pre-merger Tomy have had strong relationships with Hasbro, which has distributed Takara's hit products such as Transformers, Beyblade, e-Kara and Battle B-Daman and Tomy's Zoids brands internationally. Although the merged company has stated that the Transformers business with Hasbro and the OEM business in general was not as profitable as they would be if they were directly distributed, the relationship with Hasbro is low risk in the case of Transformers, since Hasbro assumes the inventory risk internationally.

As for as Beast Wars are concern, all the toys, whether they are made by Hasbro's inhouse or not do have the copyright with something like "license under Takara."

I know that Hasbro licensed the diaclone and microman figures to repackage them as Transformers and that many of the names were of Hasbros.

Acutally, Takara owns Transformers even though Hasbro came up with the title. Hasbro has also saved Takara for bringing Transformers to America when the Microman and Diaclone series was losin money in Japan. What I mean is that Takara owns the line is that they own it while Hasbro is licensin' it

I don't think that's entirely right!! Transformers is all homegrown!! You were right that they borrowed 3 not 2 established Japanese toy lines, but the idea for creating the characters and story was all American baby!! Ironic huh, since Japan is king of robot toys/cartoons!!! It was Takara who then took the idea and ran with it as well!! I think since the molds were orginally Takara's and Bandai's, Takara may not have to license the name, but not quite sure on that!! Anyone know. But they may well have to buy the license from Hasbro, cause them Autobots and Decepticons are all American!!! #US1#

What th hell are you talkin about!!!!? I said that the line as in toys were licensed to Takara. Also, the storyline is a rehash of the diaclone storyline (badguys crashing into the ocean and good guys crashing in the mountains), so it isn't all american like you claim it to be.

AS for whoever did the character designs for the cartoon, it isn't all american like you claim it to be. Some of it is japanese. The character designs for season 1 of TF were actually done by Shōhei Kohara which were simplified by Floro Devy, who usually claims that he was the one who fully did the character designs.

HEre are my references for the above statement:

Deryizedsideswipe.jpg

Shohei's art vs Floro Dery. Even though they are different, Dery simplified Kohara's art, so sayin it is all american made is incorrect.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dhei_Kohara

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Floro_Dery

Both Takara and pre-merger Tomy have had strong relationships with Hasbro, which has distributed Takara's hit products such as Transformers, Beyblade, e-Kara and Battle B-Daman and Tomy's Zoids brands internationally. Although the merged company has stated that the Transformers business with Hasbro and the OEM business in general was not as profitable as they would be if they were directly distributed, the relationship with Hasbro is low risk in the case of Transformers, since Hasbro assumes the inventory risk internationally.

As for as Beast Wars are concern, all the toys, whether they are made by Hasbro's inhouse or not do have the copyright with something like "license under Takara."

I know that Hasbro licensed the diaclone and microman figures to repackage them as Transformers and that many of the names were of Hasbros.

You're missing the point that Hasbro has the names, and therefore the brand. Takara does not 'own Transformers'.

The 'licensed by' stamp is a vestigial part of a legal agreement that goes back twenty-five years to G1.

And in relying on Wikipedia for your information, you open yourself up to finding contradictions. Here's a snippet from the Transformers article:

The Transformers toyline was developed by Hasbro after they met up with Takara representatives at the 1983 Toy Fair trade show in New York and proposed to combine and re-brand Takara's Diaclone and Micro Change toylines into the Transformers for release in the United States. Thus began a long and successful collaboration between Takara and Hasbro on toy development for the Transformers line, a collaboration which has grown increasingly close. Currently, Hasbro does the vast majority of the concept work and character creation, while Takara continues to control the actual manufacture of the toys. Hasbro markets and sells the toys internationally, while Takara sells them in the Japanese market.

Note specifically the phrase 'developed by Hasbro' in the first sentence. Note also that if Hasbro is doing 'the vast majority of the concept work and character creation', then they would actually own the bulk of the brand. Takara makes the toys (and in many cases, makes them WORK, figuring out the transformations and such), but that does not make them 'own' everything.

See also this article at TF Wiki. This part on design also refutes the idea that Takara somehow is the sole owner of the toys while Hasbro just has a bunch of names.

There are several reasons. One is Hasbro has more regulations for saftey they have to abide by that cost more money, so they cut costs in other ways. The two companies also catter primairly to different types of markets. Takara focuses much more on the collectors. The collector market over there has traditionaly always been larger than over here, Hasbro's market is still primairly kids and their parents. A kid isn't going to care that much about chrome ect ect. Also kids and parents aren't likely to be going online and buying imported toys from Takara at much higher prices.

See also this article at TF Wiki. This part on design also refutes the idea that Takara somehow is the sole owner of the toys while Hasbro just has a bunch of names.

Ironically, Hasbro completely owns the names to the Go-Bot brand from the concept to the characters, but they DON'T have any access to the molds of the actual toys (produced by Takara's rival, Bandai)

A kid isn't going to care that much about chrome ect ect.

From what I gather, most collectors aren't that crazy about it either. Makes you wonder who exactly it's getting put on for.

Then again, maybe it's just the American collectors, while the Japanese collectors go nuts for chrome. Entirely possible.

Ironically, Hasbro completely owns the names to the Go-Bot brand from the concept to the characters, but they DON'T have any access to the molds of the actual toys (produced by Takara's rival, Bandai)

Oh, how I WISH that Hasbro would just break down and start a Go-Bots subline. I honestly don't care if it's all just repaints of old TFs with Go-Bot colors and names... in fact, I'd prefer if they kept it easy on my wallet and made it Minicons, Legends, or Scout/Basic class! :)