How many figures should be in a DCUC Wave?

Superpowers1980

Personally I order 4 cases, 2 to start and then 2 after the first set arrives. A case of 6 from online stores are priced very nice and they save me the hassle of burning gas on product I can't find in stores. Now Mattel has increased the amount of figures to a standard 7 figures..NOT INCLUDING CHASES, so as an example its actually 9 figures for Wave 8 if your a completist. This really hurts my pockets especially when figures average 11.00 now. Is anyone ok with this amount of figures in a wave or is there anyone else who wants an end to the chases and a wave scaled back to 5 figures?

Notwithstanding your obvious problems, I think they finally realized there are those of us who will collect everything (like me and you) and those who only want the 'big gun'. Like the A-list hero (or villain) in the series. So they market to both. For example, say the Flash in the upcoming series doe NOT come with a part to a BAF but instead a complete Cosmic Treadmill. Those of us you are complete fans will buy that, and the other figs who will give us the BAF that we want. Those who are not so much about the BAF will be able to do their thing and not have to think they are missing out. It's NOT a bad thing! It's about how much a completist the buyer is, and by all means, if there are more figures out for the wave, I will buy more to correspond!

I think its kool to add more figures but at the same time I want the chase figures to go away. If not away only make a chase figures like every os oftin like every 3 or 4 waves then have only one chase. I think that would be fair. I used to be a have to have the whole set kinda guy but. Now I get my favs and what ever I think is kool.

Mostly because its just to much money. 11.88 atwalmart which after tax is like 12 something and 12 to 15 at target and 11.14 at toys r us times how ever many figs are in the set. I just don't see it any more. But I am excited about the wave 6 I'll be getting most of it if i can find it that is.

It seems like every wave is haveing 2 or 3 different chase figures and IMO its getting out of control. when they could be added later on in wave so and so or 2 packs that dont rehash old figures. I know the cyborg sups and azrel were had as hell to find. I only seen one azrel the whole time I was hunting for that wave. Which I picked up asap lol. and did some detective work to see where the cyborg sups were being found. and hit up every big lots around for weeks.

But to answer the question 6 plus one chase is fair in my eyes. just the stores need to get in at least 4 cases every 2 weeks I think that also would be fair to scalpers and collectors and for the little kids who want these too. lets not for get there are just kids wanting these to. I think we all should have a right to find and buy these or any figures.

I don't have a problem with as much since they struck a deal with Diamond to ship full set cases. I ordered my wave 7 this week and my local shop is going to give me a discount for buying the whole case. But time is the one thing in life that we can never get back and I am doing my part to save the Earth by not wasting my gas going to every Walmart, Target, and TRU when this wave hits.

I don't have a problem with as much since they struck a deal with Diamond to ship full set cases. I ordered my wave 7 this week and my local shop is going to give me a discount for buying the whole case. But time is the one thing in life that we can never get back and I am doing my part to save the Earth by not wasting my gas going to every Walmart, Target, and TRU when this wave hits.

I get the extras if there are any lol

here is my problem i read on superarticulated.com that they are not going to be full sets in a case they are going to reissue figures and mix those in here is what i found:

"

If you’re anything like me then you’re the type of toy collector who hates wasting time and money driving around on fruitless toy runs. These days I order pretty much everything online. My saving grace so far with the DCUC line is that I can order a case online and get all five figures in the wave plus only one unnecessary extra. It makes the cost very bearable. And since I’ve never seen DCUC3 at retail and have only ever seen a couple of stray DCUC2 figures, I wouldn’t have half as many figs from this line as I do were it not for the convenience of online case ordering. Well, that’s all about to change. Expand the post to find out why.

Mattel has released the case-mixes for the upcoming waves of DCUC. Here they are:

Series 6:

1x Superman (black suit)

1x Superman (red suit)

2x Mr. Miracle

1x Dr. Impossible

2x Hawkman

2x Shazam

1x Killer Moth

Series 6 Revision 1:

1x Superman (black suit)

1x Superman (red suit)

1x Mr. Miracle

1x Dr. Impossible

2x Hawkman

2x Shazam

2x Killer Moth

Series 7:

1x Batman

1x Green Lantern

2x Flash - Speedster

2x Captain Cold

2x Kid Flash

2x Big Barda

Series 7 Revision 1:

1x Wonder Woman

1x Firestorm

1x Flash - Speedster

1x Captain Cold

2x Blue Beetle

2x Booster Gold

2x Aquaman Blue

So, you can see that beginning with series 7 ordering a case online won’t get you a full set. You’d now have to order TWO cases just to get one of every figure. Bummer."

even more i didn't scroll down all the way

"Here’s what Scott Neitlich - Mattel’s Snr Brand Manager for the DCUC line - has to say:

“Hey gang,

Saw there has been a bit of chatter online regarding the new case packs for Wave 6 and 7 of DCUC. Allow me to shed some light.

Although online sellers and fans are some of our most vocal and enthusiastic buyers, the bottom line is that Mattel as a company has to sell X amount of figures to cover the cost of tooling, painting, packaging and shipping out high quality action figure collectables.

While online sellers do help us reach a lot of customers in greater areas (more rural, international etc…) the bottom line fact is that they represent a very small fraction of overall sales for the company (and yes, even of specifcally the DCUC line).

While we do work directly with them to supply things like case packs and product images for their catalgoues, it just is not feasable from a business persepective to center the line around their sales. If we did so, we honestly would not be able to produce these toys.

The toy industry is much different then it was 5 or even 2 years ago when a 14 inch Galactus Build a Figure was possible. Gas prices have increased dramatically and that means plastic (which is derived from patrolium) increases as well.

In order to continue to produce wave after wave of outstanding DCUC figures we have to work closly with our retail partners who at the end of the day make up the vast majority of our sales. One of these conditions is that we need to provide our retails stores with fresh product in every single mix. Therefore the “waves” as collectors know them have been split up into two mixes to ensure every mix has fresh characters in them. (which helps brick and morter stores move more product to collectors, moms, kids, grandparents, and people who aimlessly wonder into the toy aisle, see a Firestorm and think he looks cool enough to add to their cart) You’d be surprise how much this factor adds up and helps boost sales to the point that we can actually aford to produce the line.

Although this does not work for all the online chat board members (although very vocal and enthusiastic and we love you guys and your support and suggestions) at the end of the day we have to meet costs to produce these toys.

One way we are able to meet in the middle is by making every figures for 2009 available in a solid case pack for online dealers so that they can create their own “solid wave mix” and sell online. But alas, we are not able to create case packs exclusivly with every figure. Unfortunaltly at the end of the day when we had to review our bottom line and our obligation to customers who make up the bulk of our sales it became a buisness decision. It was not in any way done to through mud in collector’s eyes.

But hey, not trying to put too much spin, but as a toy fan myself isn’t their a certain thrill to finding that new product on shelf and having a reason to get up in the morning a hunt the aisles? Splitting the waves into two assortments helps create even more of a hunt from one perspective!

We understand this won’t make everyone happy, but in the long term it is a factor keeping the line alive and helping us get to more and more figures to add to your collectors. We hope collectors will understand and continue to help us create some of the best action figure collectables we’ve ever been able to do.

(oh boy do we have some good stuff coming in 2009!)

TG”

Scott’s statement taken from his post at TheFwoosh.

"

I don't mind the increase in figures per set since I'm not a completist, but for those who are it's definately a small dent in the wallet. I'm happy about it because we can get more figures and more potential characters that we want so it's cool in my book

That whole statement was a load of crap. It just goes to show you mattel really don't care about collectors. Where is kanya west damnit. all jokes aside I understand wanting to make more product avable so where is wave 5 in walmarts? where is the quality paint apps. and friggin gas has droped like crazy so thats not an excuse any more.

I'm all for helping out kids and parents and whatnot and I like the hunt to a point but when there non existant whats up. how can you make the bottem line which we all knew thats what its all about. That whole statement was just a farce.

But for all thoses who do order cases I still got dibs on the extras :D seriously

Mattel has released the case-mixes for the upcoming waves of DCUC. Here they are:

Series 6:

1x Superman (black suit)

1x Superman (red suit)

2x Mr. Miracle

1x Dr. Impossible

2x Hawkman

2x Shazam

1x Killer Moth

Series 6 Revision 1:

1x Superman (black suit)

1x Superman (red suit)

1x Mr. Miracle

1x Dr. Impossible

2x Hawkman

2x Shazam

2x Killer Moth

Series 7:

1x Batman

1x Green Lantern

2x Flash - Speedster

2x Captain Cold

2x Kid Flash

2x Big Barda

Series 7 Revision 1:

1x Wonder Woman

1x Firestorm

1x Flash - Speedster

1x Captain Cold

2x Blue Beetle

2x Booster Gold

2x Aquaman Blue

The upcoming Superman figure is one of the most anticipated, if not the most anticipated, figures in DCUC. I know they don't want to go overboard, but one of each won't be nearly enough to meet demand. If they can put 2 Mr. Miracles and 1 Dr. Impossible in the same case, why in the world can't they put 2 Supermans (regular costume) and 1 Superman (black costume) in the Wave 6 Revision? Take out one of the extra Hawkmans or Shazams. It seems so simple to me. And why are they going so heavy on Hawkman and Shazam anyway? If a store orders two or three cases, that's gonna be a lotta Hawkmans and Shazams hanging.

Series 7, at least, doesn't seem to be too bad, other than the obvious fact of having to wait for a revision to complete your Collect and Connect figure. And speaking of CAC, I think that's what Mattel's neglecting here. It's not fun to have half a figure for two months, and the chances of finding DCUC on the pegs a second time are so remote some people may never complete them. I'm shocked when I see DCUC at all, so to find it twice within a couple month span would be asking a lot.

I'm still waiting for them to truly address all the "we can't even find these things, anyway" comments from fans. Telling fans to ask their stores to carry them isn't really a solution. I thought that's what sales executives are for.

Anyway, all this brings us full circle to that guy's point above: it doesn't matter so much that we can't find them because we're only a small percentage of their sales. They're looking to please the grandmothers and mothers and best friend's sister's coworker's neighbors who stumble into the toy aisle and buy one or two figures. If we don't find all of them or never complete our CAC figures, it's not that big of a deal. Someone's finding these because all the stock is selling out everywhere, and that's what matters.

The Target stores in the area have been pretty good about carrying DCU but they seem to get 1 case at a time and its several months before they replenish.

So the bigger issue for me is going to be the finding the figures that aren't included in the 1 case they get.

• 11 months later...

Man, I can't believe someone resurrected this topic, oh how times have changed, no longer can I afford 4 cases per wave...Ha. Anyway I still stand by this, with the price increase and the amount of figures standard figures per wave then adding in variants is much too much. For those who order online, the prices keep going up, paying for more figures, then the cost of shipping is increase by 2 factors,...shipping cost increased, and weight of more figures per case. Plus with the way Mattel is pumping out wave after wave, we could use a nice break in the $$$ area.

I am glad this thread was resurrected. In our current economic bind, this should be addressed.

If Mattel is going to milk u for their product, I ain't mad. Just do it right!!

5 or 6 figures TOPS per wave. Anything more is overkill and no C&C that Mattel has made is so big that it warrants 7 or 8 figures per wave.

Waves 3 and 6 were some of my favorites and they kept it simple to collect to build the C&C's.

I am with DanCuckoo on this one. Otherwise we will soon face a Giant-Man series fiascoo where you had to collect 10 figures, and one was a hard to find variant just to build the BAF. Now that is milking us collectors dry!!!

I like the 6 figures per wave with BAF parts as long as all 6 are in each case. Variants are cool as long as they are packed equally. I am glad Mattel went back to this after the Wave 7,8, & 9 fiasco of split cases. I don't mind the 7th figure in each wave having a stand, but it only makes sense if it is the anchor figure in the wave. I fear that Steppenwolf is going to be a pegwarmer because most people have absolutely no clue who he is versus John Stewart who kids would recognize as THE Green Lantern from JLU Unlimited.

6 is ok for me, 5 with the parts needed to complete a BAF, and the 6th to be the linchpin with the stand!! And if it were 6 per wave, you could get 2 complete sets per case! Oh and any variants would replace the regular versions!! Simple, nuff said!!