New Sonic Figures!

jamaro

I just don't see Tomy producing high quality Sonic figures, or giving us the same diversity that we had with jazwares.

That's my exact same thought. So far, what TOMY has shown has looked pretty horrible IMO. 5 points of articulation just screams happy meal toy to me. That, on top of the fact that I don't like the Boom designs and prefer the older video game designs makes me think that my time as a Sonic figure collector is over. I loved the Jazwares figures, had every single one they made, but recently sold the whole collection. I lost interest knowing that we won't get to add any more figures to that collection.

Unfortunately it seems that SEGA is only focused on media tie-ins and products that are of Sonic Boom. I really do hope another company picks up the Sonic license and is allowed to make figures from the older games but that would be a few years off at the soonest. A toy license is generally for either 3 or 5 years and the company always has the option to renew the license once it's about to be up as long as the IP holder (SEGA) allows it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh jeez this is the only pacmansonic138 account left in existence, man I wanna punch my 13 year old self.

Well anyways, I honestly regret buying all those figures so expect a portion of my collection to show up on eBay at some point. I do have some rare figures like the SDCC Metal Sonic JUVI and crap like that, I feel like I could of used all that money on more useful stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, wow... I can't believe this topic is still going (and my account is still active... avatar's gone for some reason, though). Obviously there's nothing new on the Jazwares front and I don't really care for Sonic Boom as a whole, so the Tomy figures don't interest me.

However, earlier today I was going through some old stuff of mine and upon opening a storage bin, I discovered all my 3" figures and some 5" as well. I had pretty much everyone save for Blaze, Charmy, and the Free Riders ones beyond Sonic and Jet. It honestly brought back a lot of fond memories.

For most of the things I collected growing up, I usually look back on it and think "Ugh, I can't believe I was into that." But for some reason, that's not the case with these. Despite all the faults Jazwares' figures had and their decline in quality, they still delivered an insane amount of characters that I never dreamed I'd see previously. It's still awesome to hold a figure like Silver or Espio or Super Sonic in my hands and know that these were actually made.

I also remember joining this site over six years ago back before the 3" line started. I remember when Joe Amaro would pop in regularly and deliver news of all the upcoming figures and I'd get super hyped with everyone else here. Then I'd scour eBay for any new in-package shots. :P It was fun, to be sure.

I guess I'm thankful that we even had a Sonic line like this and for all the good times I had on here. I seriously hope we can have an extensive SEGA!Sonic line again someday that we can all collect and talk about. Maybe for the 25th anniversary?

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, jazwares has finally shipped out the last of their Sonic merchandise, so that may be all she wrote. We will need another company to scoop up that license, and if they can hit anywhere near where jazwares did, I will be highly impressed. I miss this line, I miss you guys here on TNI, and it's just frustrating, yet hopeful, to see the state of the franchise. We have chance for one last make or break "hurrah" in my mind and i pray SEGA can make it count.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys!

It's Joe Amaro formally of Jazwares, remember me?

I can't believe this thing is still going!

Anyway I wanted to let you know that my 6yr old son has now discovered Sonic! And he wants all the toys I worked on. I saved some so he has them now.

11 years ago, I never imagined that my kid would be playing with the Sonic toys I (we) helped make!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, amaro said:

Hey guys!

It's Joe Amaro formally of Jazwares, remember me?

I can't believe this thing is still going!

Anyway I wanted to let you know that my 6yr old son has now discovered Sonic! And he wants all the toys I worked on. I saved some so he has them now.

11 years ago, I never imagined that my kid would be playing with the Sonic toys I (we) helped make!

Joe it's so good to hear from you after the years that have gone by! (Though I'm late obviously) I think about our experience working with you and Jazwares frequently, it was a great time! Hoping everybody is doing well! I still have my figures we helped create standing proud!

ghostbogey, I honestly don't think this thread can die. Maybe some hiatuses but there will pretty much always be new Sonic figures!

The newer lines have been promising, I like the accessories like item capsules, and having a Mighty figure is a very good thing.

I miss this place a lot!

• 3 weeks later...