New Sonic Figures!

jamaro

Eggman Nega! I finished it the other day, I'll upload the photos to deviantart tomorrow, but here's the youtube video of it.

What kind of paint are you using? It looks incredibly thick and, to be frank, poorly places. This is less of an account on your abilities but more the materials you're working with.

I'm using Acrylics paints, Wakeangel2001 said to use them, so I did, but they are cheap Acrylics, so that's probably why. I guess that could be the reason, I'm going to buy myself another Eggman at some point when I can afford to, along with better paints and do it again.

ALSO, my Storm and Free Riders Tails and Knuckles are here! The head sizes for Tails and Knuckles are smaller than their actual figures.

Wakeangel is using cheap materials too though. Once I post my first custom hopefully my point will be proven.

and Hypertails, if your paint is lumpy, try watering it down. Nobody should be using the paint directly from the bottle. Always water it down at least a little bit. And if there are visible lumps in it, don't pick those up when dipping your brush in the paint.

Wakeangel uses specific brands. I'm always discussing this sort of thing with him; he isn't using random kiddie paints you find at walmart.

Regardless, most base acrylics are for canvas painting/general painting. Not plastic or items that need a strong bond.

Try modelmaster acrylics. Go to Hobby Town USA or Hobby Lobby -- make sure they aren't enamel.

For the painting I do I use Tamiya Acrylics. They're one of the best brands you can get IMO. They're just hard for me to get because only Hobbytown has them and that's always a 30 minute drive from here.

They're considered to be one of the best model paints. And, to be frank, after seeing results from so many different brands, they seem to be the best to date.

Trying Tamiya paints is on my to do list. I use Model Master and Citadel paints currently.

While waiting on the sculpt for the figure I'm working on to dry I started this little guy. After I'm done with it I hope to make a few casts so I can have a couple Chao hanging out with my figures.

100_0658.jpg

You know, I actually have one of their clear flat acrylics. I was going to use it to seal up one of my projects and it completely ruined it and gave it a frosted look. It looked like I had just taken it out of a pool of liquid nitrogen. It was hilarious. Thank goodness I only used it on one leg XD. I'll have to give their regular paints a try though.

The Chao is looking pretty good so far.

Why'd you purchase such a dark hue?

Also, from what I've been reading, Fixit seems to hold its shape better than apoxie sculpt. I would've assumed that fixit wouldn't be as good of a sculpting medium, considering it was originally meant for just filling gaps/repairing and such, but from every review I've seen, it really seems to have some benefits over AS.

I wouldn't know, however, because, like the poorfag I am, I'm still using super sculpey. While it's a fantastic sculpting medium, its durability is pretty poor. I cook mine in a special way to ensure that it's hard enough to hold its own as a basic action figure... but, if I drop the thing at all, it will break (oddly enough, he's fallen on his head (hat) at least 4 times now, and nothing's cracked/snapped off).

Thats the natural color. Anything but that costs extra and I just don't care what color it is since it's going to be painted anyway :P

Fixit is great too but has is advantages and disadvantages. It's more durable than Apoxie Sculpt so if you're sculpting something extremely thin, thats your best bet. Apoxie sculpt can be made about 1/8" thin and still hold up fine. Any thinner and you'll risk breaking, but again, only if you try to break it. The downside to Fixit is that I find its much tougher to work with and has a shorter working time. But yes, if you are sculpting pieces that stick out from the rest of the figure, such as a tail or long horns, Fixit will hold the shape better (better, not perfect) than Apoxie at keeping the shape you sculpted without sagging.

Lalam; You're one of the few that makes figures out of Super Sculpey look really good. Maybe its your abilities along with the fact that you sand, but your Link figures look like they could be factory made almost. Thats what I strive for when making customs. If it doesn't look like it could have been made by one of the toy companies, then I don't want it on my shelf. I'll keep tweaking a custom until it looks like it could be an official figure. Only then do I consider it finished.

When someone references "sagging", I immediately assume it's during the cure of the piece. However, after working with milliput, I'm curious as to whether or not the objects sag AFTER cure. This wouldn't make much sense, considering it's used for action figures that are meant to be handled constantly, but, again, after the experience with milliput (which may have just been it being really god damn old) I really don't know.

Considering there was already a decent figure of Young Link available (or, at least, existing), there would've been little to no point to sculpt an entirely new one without it looking better in some fashion. The intent was to make sure I had a TOY of young link, at a nice scale, and an overall good appearance. There are some basic things that look a bit sloppy, but they really don't bother me all that much. And it isn't a thick paint sloppy, it's just a mispaint sort of deal, or a rough texture to certain areas in the sculpt.

Have you ever worked with super sculpey? If you have, could you tell me whether or not it's easier working with apoxie sculpt or fixit? I mean, aside from the obvious benefits you get from the two, the sculpting alone plays a big part on my end. If I'm in complete need of a durable product, I'll simply cast it.

When I mentioned sagging I was referring to while curing. Apoxie Sculpt/Fixit doesn't change shape at all once cured. It gets as hard as a rock. And I have used super sculpey and I just can't work with it! Its a lot softer than Apoxie Sculpt or Fixit and I need to work in layers. If I tried doing that with super sculpey, it may crack from being boiled to cure over and over. Besides, there is no chance of ruining what you just sculpted while moving the sculpt to bioling water with AS or Fixit since they air dry. Apoxie takes about 12 hours to dry on its own or about an hour and a half under a 100watt lamp. Fixit dries ina bout half the time if I remember correctly.

And really, don't kid yourself. Your Young Link custom is incredible. The sculpt alone is amazing but the engineering in the articulation design is something to be proud of. I don't see any flaws int he paint job either. Paintjobs never look completely flawless but yours is great.

That's good. It's the guarantee that milliput is hard as rock once cured, and yet the white I bought wouldn't ever really cure. But I easily have more faith in Apoxie/fixit sculpt.

Thanks, dude. It took at least 2 months, and I spent a very large amount of time pondering how the joint setup would be. I'm glad you like it.

On to Sonic -- the Nendo Sonic is going up for preorder tomorrow. Here are some recent images:

nendo1h.jpg

nendo2.jpg

nendo3.jpg

nendo4.jpg

Yeah, definite buy for me. I actually prefer the head of the Jazwares figure for some reason though. Comparing this figure to Jazwares' Classic Sonic is unfair really. GoodSmileCompany is able to make a better figure with muchbetter quality control since they are charging 5x as much as Jazwares is. And to be honest, at that price I don't want to see mold lines on Sonic's head, which I see a lot of of this figure.